Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
what happens after you die?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cvbkfgbkjmgbcj

Timid Darling

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 am
So I was just wondering how religious people are in the GSA, since religion often dictates sexuality. Are you religious? What do you practice? Has your sexuality impacted your religious beliefs? And, specifically, what do you believe happens when you die?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:06 am
No, I am not. My mom used to make us go to church, but me and my dad stopped going a long time ago. I never felt comfortable or really personally believed what I was being told. My mom still thinks I am a Christian (though I never really was).

I am more agnostic. No it hasn't impacted my beliefs, but religions impacted mine (more like made me fearful and ashamed. Not everyone does that, but a lot still do).

I believe we could possibly be reincarnated or have our spirits wander the earth, but I don't believe in hell.  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 am
I was raised Catholic, but I'm not. I don't really believe in any religion, I do believe in a god, and I do believe in jesus Christ.
what I think happens after I die? I have no idea, I'm waiting to see myself, though i'd like to believe I will reunite with my loved ones that have passed away in some sort of paradise full of peace and happiness. in other words, I believe I become a spiritual being 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:09 am
I am a christian and believe that no matter what life you choose that god will always love you. Sometimes I feel confused about the bible and don't really understand it. I do know that bad things people say about your life hurts. My feince is Hispanic and I'm white. I don't belive god is raciest, so why would he judge people for doing something that they have no control over.

I just can't stand it when people look at you as if they are discusted. It makes me believe that they are jelouse because they don't have the happiness that we share with the person we love or the choices we take pride in. They build themselves up by putting others down.

I love all of my gay friends... It makes me happy they don't judge me for who I am and who I love.

The best thing about my gay friends is that I always feel confortable around them and never feel as if you have to hide anything.  

Aryaten

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:44 am
I'm religious and I'm training under a Wiccan coven where the afterlife is a place for people who have loved each other to meet and rest before returning.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:15 am
Question 1: No. I was raised in a coc household, but have since left the church.
Question 2: None.
Question 3: No comment.
Question 4: You just rot in the ground.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:59 pm
No, I am definitely not religious. My family tried going to a Unitarian (because my mom is one) church once, and we ended up not going after a few months.

I'm polydeist.

No, no it hasn't at all.

Well, my best guess would be nothing, we just cease to live, and rot in a grave. It'd be nice if it was something like the underworld in Greek Mythology, but I don't think it's possible at all for anything like that to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:20 pm
My family is Roman Catholic, so I was raised in that church. I have a certain fondness for some of the ritual aspects of the faith, but I don't agree with them on much else.

Although I don't consider myself religious, I've considered myself a Christian. Not really because of any interest in the church, though. I was taught that Jesus had two commandments: Basically, love god, and love your neighbour as you love yourself. Even though I don't believe in god as some sort of omniscient, omnipotent being who actually cares what we do, it seemed like a decent way to live your life, you know? I've always sort of thought of the "loving god" part as respecting and caring for our planet, and the rest is essentially just, "don't be a d**k".

Although I'm not really an atheist, lately I've found that I don't see the point in identifying as Christian. It just doesn't accurately describe my beliefs anymore.

Anyway. I don't really believe anything happens after we die. *shrug* The thought has never made me sad or afraid. I actually used to worry about the opposite: what if there is an afterlife? When I was a child, it terrified me, thinking that I might not be "good enough" for heaven. razz  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Enderlad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 am
I consider myself spiritual, but not religious. Generally, I've been interested in looking into Buddhism. His teachings are inspiring and a good life philosophy regardless of whether or not you believe in the divine or some sort of after life.

But to me, I believe it's important to look at what a religion is trying to teach and live by, not what the followers are preaching. Radical people interpreting old words to fit their opinions leads to distortion of the original message.
Researching on your own and giving deep personal thought about what you truly believe is vital.

Besides that, it doesn't matter to me what other believe. Judge by people's actions, not their faith.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:51 am
I was firmly atheist before finding my sexuality, I believe that our time on earth now is all we have, that science tells us exactly how we got here, and that there is no "why" because all creation was random and guided by any hand.

I also believe that when we die, our brain burns out, ending the "self" and the body left behind becomes worms meat.

I'm firmly against religion in all forms, and I think it's been the most corrosive and damaging thing that humanity has ever brought into being with it's own existential fears, and that religion poisons everything.  

Coyote_Cain

6,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Citizen 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:14 am
i was raised christian somwhat, my family was very open and chill with beliefs but i would go to church with my grandmother and people i went to school with were very religious. i left christianity when i was a teeanger because all the hate didnt feel right so i learned about wicca and other pagan beliefs. im back at christianity now but i now its not meant to be a hateful belief anymore and that its just followers who make it such a horrible thing.

i know that god loves me even though im bi and im sure he doesnt really give a s**t about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:04 am
I was raised Catholic, still am, and I believe in Heaven. I believe in Hell, too, but I think more people go to Heaven than Hell.  

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 am
User Image

I'm an atheist. I wouldn't describe myself as an antitheist exactly, because I appreciate the appeal of religious beliefs and understand that they enrich some people's lives tremendously. I simply wish that we as a species could move past the days of "organized religion." When people of similar belief congregate in the interest of enriching each other's lives, that's good. But inevitably it seems that as soon as a religion reaches a certain size, the people at the top tiers end up trying to use it to divide and conquer. How distasteful.

Anyway. I don't believe in an afterlife, and I find that comforting. I was raised Christian, and as I got deeper into the religion I became obsessed with it. This life wasn't important to me anymore, and I viewed it as a really scary test to determine where I'd spend eternity. After I went to college, I started to look at other religions, and pretty much became obsessed with each one in turn until I realized I had no idea what I really believed in. I realized that I needed to examine why I thought it was necessary to believe in a religion, because otherwise I was just pulling one out of a hat and I found that intellectually dishonest. Fear of the afterlife was my main motivation, and when I was honest with myself I found that I didn't actually have any good evidence for believing in any deities or afterlives.

I find that a more practical approach to life makes me a much happier, more fulfilled person. I'm not wasting my time trying to be sure I'm doing the right thing according to someone else's book; I'm doing what I think is right based on the Golden Rule. I'm fairly confident that when we die, all that happens is that our consciousness stops existing while other organisms feed off our bodies, turning them back into part of the Earth. And if there is some deity out there, it sure hasn't approached me in any recognizable way, so I must be doing okay. And if not, then I did the best I could with the tools I'm told it gave me! whee

I'm not sure the question about sexuality really applies, since I'm straight (and given the environment I grew up in, I feel lucky to be :s ). But I think one of the things that led to me exploring my beliefs critically was that I couldn't keep forcing myself to pretend that I thought someone's sexual orientation was sinful or that it was reasonable to expect a gay person to either be celibate for life or marry a beard.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games