Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:13 pm

The only reason the chicks were inside at this point is because there were holes in the door to the coop that they can still fit through. Today Fred's mom was going through the garage and she found a bunch of screens on wood frames. She gave them to us to improve the coop. We took the screening off of one of them and stapled that to the door so there's no longer any large holes. I took the other screens and built a small run. You'll see in the pictures, but there's a space underneath the coop that is all fenced in. So when they're big enough not to fit through the gaps in the fencing, I will remove the white fence you see and then the run will be much much bigger. It needs a few more alterations to be perfect, but it's pretty good for stuff that was just lying around. So far the coop and run have cost us $0 (minus the aspen bedding).

Now for pics:

Full view:
User Image

Inside the coop:
User Image

Close-up of the run:
User Image

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:17 pm
That's quite the roomy coop for those birds! I'm sure they'll love it!

By the way, because they're flightless, do you think they'll have trouble getting up on those ledges you have for them, or will they be able to 'hop' up there instead?  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:37 pm
Moth Feathers
That's quite the roomy coop for those birds! I'm sure they'll love it!

By the way, because they're flightless, do you think they'll have trouble getting up on those ledges you have for them, or will they be able to 'hop' up there instead?

Yupp, it's the perfect size for two chickens. I put them in the coop for the night and they're freaking out. They'll get used to it though, much bigger than their former quarters. Best part is I won't have to clean it out as often since a. it's bigger and b. they'll only be in it at night or if no one is home.

They can hop pretty high, but if I find that they can't get up on the ledges then I'll put a ramp in there for them.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm
They are soooo cute Nilla! Their coop looks great! They'll get used to it soon =3  

Akari_32

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 pm
Akari_32
They are soooo cute Nilla! Their coop looks great! They'll get used to it soon =3

Thanks Akari! You can barely see poor Jacob in these pics, I'll have to get some better chicken shots for everyone tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:33 pm
Akari_32
I agree they are so cute heart xd  

MC scarlet96

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces