Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 am

I haven't said anything because I don't want to jinx it, but no one at home really wants to talk about it and I'm very nervous/excited. I have applied to become a zookeeper.

People with a degree or experience at an AZA accredited institution will get preference. I do not have a degree, but as most of you know, I do have 2 years of experience at a non-profit AZA accredited aquarium.

If I get this job, not only will we be able to start putting away money and spending more on the animals, but I will be living my dream. Growing up, I though this was something so big that I would never be able to achieve it, so I wasn't even going to try. Setting my sights lower, I never went to college because I thought my only option to work with/help animals was becoming a veterinarian, and I didn't think I could do 8+ years of schooling.

Boy have I learned a lot since then. At the aquarium, I learned that I can do big things, and I can do whatever I set my mind to. When I got accepted there, I realized my worth and never ever said no to a task. In the past I would have said "I can't do this" or "that's too hard". Since I never limited myself this way, I got to experience so many things.

I've worked up close with dangerous animals, never fearing them but always respecting their power. I've lifted heavy objects and increased my strength. Climbed on top of tanks and ledges, never worrying about tripping or falling, and never once did I. Since leaving the aq, there's been a huge hole in my heart, and in my life. Everything is better here in my home, except that I'm missing something essential: no longer working with animals.

This is the chance of a lifetime for me. I am hoping and praying that it works out. I'm scared though, because if I don't make it then I'll have to suck it up and apply for a retail job somewhere. Not only is that selling myself short, but I've worked in retail and I hate it with a passion. No disrespect for anyone here that does work retail, it's just not for me. I wasn't made to be standing at a register somewhere, waiting for customers and pretending to be busy. I have to be active, constantly doing something in order to stay sane.

So, let's discuss this. Tell me about your jobs, experiences and hopes. And of course, wish me luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:10 am
AWESOME!!!!

*jumps around* sorry... but yeah, AZA is amazing.. but with my aunt not wanting me to get a job that doesn't pay.... and what not i haven't been able to appy... I may after i graduate... since i can go a few years after i graduate to do internships and what not. there is a place in Indiana that I want to try at and a place down in texas (Big Cat Sancuary).

Good luck... I will contuie to fill out my pet store applications... and the grocery store apps... and hope to get a hit on my cregeslist post... lol  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

LuvByrd

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:11 pm
Good luck! That sounds A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

I'm currently hoping to be a trainer at petsmart, after having been a bath & petcare for a year and a half, and volunteering at an (AZA accredited) zoo for 4 years working with mostly raptors, doing the cleaning, diets, education programs, and observing and occasionally assisting in training. I would love a job at this zoo, but it requires a bachelors degree minimum and is very competitive, and by the time I get it & a job there, I'm thinking about settling down. I still love what I get to do as a volunteer, though! Wish me luck too! If I may ask, where are you applying? (If you don't want to announce it to the owrld, feel free to PM me : D )  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:05 am
Sounds great! Good luck!  

DeeSpark

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:36 pm
Wow! That's awesome! I wish you the best of luck. I would like to possibly be a vet tech at Hogle Zoo.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games