Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Help! rescued baby bunny is hurt!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keiko-dot-Moon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:48 am
I rescued a wild baby rabbit from a cat, and its arm looks broken. It kinda flops around if you try to move it, but won't move otherwise. it is in a lot of pain, and is around a month old. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:55 am
To be completely honest, and not to sound mean, I would've left it. If you really care about it I'd take it to a vet, but honestly I would've left it for the cat.  

Jeeed

Gaian

Keiko-dot-Moon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:16 pm
Jeeed
To be completely honest, and not to sound mean, I would've left it. If you really care about it I'd take it to a vet, but honestly I would've left it for the cat.

well, the cat didn't try to kill it, it just kinda mangled it a bit (breaking its arm) and then carried it around alive for a while like a trophey, before i got to it. it would have been cruel to let it suffer any longer.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:42 pm
I would have rescued it too... I suggest taking it to a vet.  

CrissAngelLover12345

hiysinphlay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:24 pm
I had that happen once but the baby bunny that I rescued wasn't injured just in shock. Really the only option you have is taking it to the vet or a wildlife rehabilitation center, if you call your local vets or shelter they should have the number for you to contact.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:24 pm
*update* baby bunny finally got up and moved around, but still flops around a little and tries not to use its left arm. There is hope yet!  

Keiko-dot-Moon

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:01 pm
I saved a bunny from the neighbor's cat. But the neighbor's cat had bit it. I cleaned out the wound really well and put antibiotic stuff on it...
But it died two days later anyway. Even though it was eating and drinking and pooping just fine. Apparently the bacteria in a cat's mouth is just.. that bad.

This isn't to break your hopes or anything, just to let you know that even if it seems fine, it's a prey animal and can hide illness very well.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:57 pm
Sorry to hear that. Cat bites are OFTEN deadly, even minor ones. They have, just, very bacteria-filled mouths, unfortunately.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Keiko-dot-Moon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:49 pm
*update* unfortunately the baby bunny didn't make it through the night. thank you for all your advice. The little guy at least had a warm place to stay before he moved on.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:19 am
We've rescued baby bunnies before and found them to be difficult to keep alive.  

squeakygirl

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items