50%  [ 45 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 89

DieiNoctis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:02 am
Akkarine
May, I ask then, why is it that goths dress the way they do. It doesn't bother me but I'm curious.

For nowadays dress, cometh is basically right, but it all started off a bit differently.

Back in the eighties, there were quite a few goth bands. Bands like Souxie and the banshies, Souther death cult, The sex-gang children, ext. Anyways, their band members would all dress up in "dark" cloting. Chains and black and makeup everywhere. When the fans came to see their shows, the fans would dress up like the different band members.
Eventually some of the fans started wearing the stuff as every-day wear, and not just at the concerts, and it caught on (though much toned-down from the stage costumes of the bands). And thus we have the gothic style as we know it today.

Eurgh
A 'goth' isn't even necessarily a Satanic depresed idiot.
Seriously.
Check out the Goth With a Sledgehammer (http://blood-dance.net/goth/grant.html) website.
It explains a lot.
A goth is pretty much just a creative, and frequently morbid, person.
Whether it's music, poetry, stories...
No assumptions!

Hmm, sort of right. Goths do tend to be creative, and people, and occasionally even morbid, but that's not what makes someone goth.
Azhram seems to want to equate early goth (And deathrock) with the new-romantic movement. And though it (the new-romantic movment) had it's own type of music that was different from that of goth, the new-romanitcs were basically in it for the clothing style and additude. Goth, on the other hand, has always been focused primarially on the music. Azhram just got it all a bit mixed up. Though the site is good for clearing up some big misconceptions about goth.

P4nda_Boi
Just wanted to point out... Atheism isn't a religion confused ... Remember: atheists don't believe in existence of God or any "superior beings." Sure, there are organizations of atheists - which is pretty pointless if you ask me - but they don't have a religion...

Hmm, personally I've always thought of atheism as a religion in it's own right. One without a major dieity or any tennants. Mainly because they beleive that there is nothing bigger than man.

[Satan] 2.0
Ah, yes, Christian goths. Or as I call them, "wannabe goths".

Ooooh. I can't wait for an explination on this one... can't wait to tear the explination to shreads with my hard, cold facts, that is.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:25 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
Fighter4Christ
well im not a Goth but in my opinion, i dont believe God is petty. i personally am what you might a call " a Christian Punk" . Now being a goth might send a false signal to people who arnt christians . I think it has to do with how it will affect others than yourselves.

What kind 'false signal' could it send? That God accepts everyone, regardless of their taste in music or clothing fashions?

Even though God loves you for who you are, I'm sure He'd still find listening to offensive, dirty music, and dressing like a skanky whore or in anyway that isn't in good taste disrespectful and unfitting.

Foxxtrot

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:09 pm
I think it's a little to say that Christians shouldn't/can't be goth.

Personally? I don't find the goth style of dress all that attractive, but I'm sure some people don't like how I dress. I don't see anything wrong with freedom of expression, and "thou shalt not wear black" doesn't appear anywhere in the Bible, to the best of my knowledge.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:30 pm
I'm mildly amused by the Joy Division references... as they didn't dress in "goth" clothes at live shows.

I mean, unless you consider polo shirts "goth".  

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

The Noble Protoman.exe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:50 pm
"Us"? Well, Christians are Christians when they follow Christ. I have a few Christian gothic friends... doesn't mean I don't object to some of what they do or say, but meh. Still some crazy peoples.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:52 pm
i usually don't dress very gothic..but i have a very morbid mentality....also witty...and occasionally fluffy. The fluffy pretaining to how i love little creatures like bunnies and kitties ^_^ 3nodding

I'm what you call one of those "special" people that God made ^_^  

Siren of Saturn

The Noble Protoman.exe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:29 pm
Siren of Saturn
i usually don't dress very gothic..but i have a very morbid mentality....also witty...and occasionally fluffy. The fluffy pretaining to how i love little creatures like bunnies and kitties ^_^ 3nodding

I'm what you call one of those "special" people that God made ^_^
We have our own "special" aspect. I think your style of wierd is in your dress; but if you're representing God out in the world, then dressing morbid might give people the wrong idea about how people view God. Honestly though, I don't mind Goths because they're a stereotype more than the real article... So it's up to you, if you want to come off as morbid...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:26 am
I'm not Christian Goth, but as I understand it, Goth is defined by a certain kind of clothing style. Now, how you ACT in public and in private defines what kind of Goth you are. If you act Gloomy all the time and hate the world yet you say your a Christian, something may not be right between you and God. If I walk up to you in a mall and you are wearing Gothic Clothes and you are Happy or Mildly Pleasant and Love life and you say your a Christian, then in my mind you just might be one, although this is not the only basis on which to tell if someones a Christian.

I read a little book lately on the outward and inward appearances of others. There are actually some great Christians who dress in goth clothes, but they might not claim the name of "Goth" because they just want to be identified as Christians, like they should be. I know some people who are Goths, and one of them is my best friend, but they may be wavering on the fence as to where they go in the end and I think that is a dangerous place to be in. I've asked my friend to come to church with me, but I think he thinks that he wont be accepted there. He might not be accepted there, but I accept him if he wants to come to church, I'm one of those "come as you are and we'll build and take away from there" type of people. Which reminds me that I've got to ask him again if he would like to come to church with me.

Sorry if I bored you with my long block of text. rofl

Medanite

Battousai Akuma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:48 pm
I think it has been said already but if one is proclames to be a Christian Goth they should not let people see the Goth aspect more the Christian aspect of them.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff