Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 2:: Topic: land.
I have an idea! (help me improve it)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Droping nuts?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Aizi

Junior Noob

5,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:44 pm
Well, first we should plant tees by goin over an empty area with a plane and dump nuts.... But animals might get hurt that way... but... mhm uh...
and then weekly, if it is too dry out , we will get water and drop it from a helicopter :'D...
*help me improve idea or point out flaws or laws*  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:01 pm
Its a great idea, but it normally takes decades for a forest to mature, and the seedlings normally get outcompeted by weeds before they can grow big enough, which is why you normally see saplings planted instead of nuts when an area is being reforested.

But you never know, given the right conditions it could work =)  

Sayonara-tan

Liberal Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Healer 50

Juicebox BIues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 pm
With the economy right now, I don't think using a plane and a helicopter would be the best of ideas. What you could do is gather a group of volunteers for this project. Overall though, the idea is wonderful!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:19 pm
hydro seed in small sections? a few at a time?  

Metal Wallflower

JayxXxCee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:51 pm
Wasnt that on a tv show on Discovery Channel?
I agree with Mermaidharmony.
And it would take a while for trees to grow.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:54 pm
I't be great if we could create jobs that plant and take care of areas like this. it'd be labor and menial, but a great benefit to people who need jobs and the environment. i wonder if it's possible to genetically alter a tree so that it grows faster...

and it doesn't have to be just trees, you know. technically weeds take in carbon dioxide and emmit oxygen like all plants. personally, i'm a big fan of the idea for buildings to plant big gardens and things on their roofs to cover the land that their building is taking. if only we could get a law or something going that requires business to plant and maintain gardens on their rooftops. it could go something like: big business with net incomes of such and such or higher or business that take up more than so much sq. feet are required to...  

GhostlyHandsPen

KimLink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:19 pm
TomV was right about the idea of a forest maturing. A tree takes around 50 years to mature fully on average. ._."

Ghostly's idea is pretty good, but then it's rather difficult for big businesses to do that because, for one thing, what if there's a franchise and multiple headquarters? Unless you're going to take the idea of how much each franchise takes it and etc. then maybe that'll work. But I doubt it'll happen because there's has to be a point (besides helping the environment) for the business to do it. I highly doubt a computer corporation will plant a garden on the roof of their headquarters.

You also have to find indigenous trees and find an area where it can actually help the ecology rather than destroy it by upsetting the biological diversity. Like, you can't plant an oak tree in an area where there used to be pines.

Certain animals belong to certain environments, also, so you have to be careful about that.

*I'm tired of thinking and it's hot* @___@"  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Good thinking KimLink!

Knowing the ecology of the area is very important. You cannot just drop nuts anywhere. The Hawaiian Islands have problems with unwanted plants because of species of plants that were introduced by people who might have done something similar to this.

Although, Johnny Appleseed was known for doing this! biggrin  

Obiageli

Rebellious Mastermind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:22 pm
I think its a good idea,
but it would be pretty hard,
because a helicopter can only hold so much,
and
where are you going to get the money for a helicopter
and where will you get the helicopter?
these are just a few flaws that i have seen.
but if you could patch up these flaws,
it just might work...  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:08 am
About the green roofs, a lot of companies are already planting green roofs for the kudos, and because they provide insulation, cutting heating / air conditioning bills.  

Sayonara-tan

Liberal Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Healer 50

The Five of Swords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:05 pm
TomV
Its a great idea, but it normally takes decades for a forest to mature, and the seedlings normally get outcompeted by weeds before they can grow big enough, which is why you normally see saplings planted instead of nuts when an area is being reforested.

But you never know, given the right conditions it could work =)

Agreed  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 pm
ok. maybe not hydro seeding. but, how's this?

http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/Green-Gardening/Guerilla-Gardening-Growing-Vegetables-in-Downtown-Kansas-City.aspx  

Metal Wallflower

kos-lover

4,600 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:55 pm
that sounds like a great idea but maybe we should try to get a urine or solar powered helicopter so we aren't putting toxins in the air  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:36 pm
lilprender
that sounds like a great idea but maybe we should try to get a urine or solar powered helicopter so we aren't putting toxins in the air

THINGS ARE URINE POWERED!? burning_eyes

That is ridiculously amazing, nasty and awesome!  

Sakakikala
Crew

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

dragon_of_emry

Shameless Capitalist

10,300 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:39 am
I Am Wallflower
ok. maybe not hydro seeding. but, how's this?

http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/Green-Gardening/Guerilla-Gardening-Growing-Vegetables-in-Downtown-Kansas-City.aspx

I love the idea of guerrilla gardening! I saw this video on YouTube and thought everyone here might enjoy it. I especially loved how he transported the plants. xd

Video

2:: Topic: land.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff