Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ponderments
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:52 pm
User Image

This is for all you aspiring writers out there! If you need help with plot holes, story lines, character development, making your stories flow better, or anything else, post here!
So have fun, give assistance and get ideas.

This is not for your mindless chatter, this is for serious discussion only!

Remember: Sharing is caring!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:55 am
Whenever i get an idea for a story, i start writing it down asap, and keep it going with ideas, but then after so long i get bored with it, or i get new story ideas in my head and decide to start writing that story and the past keeps re-peating itself as the first story

I have only ever finished ONE story out of the so many that pile up in my room that i've started.

I've tried the show friends and let them read route, and i've tried the don't tell no one about it, either way i always end up never finishing these books that i thought at one point were awesome.

Any suggestions of how i can finish a story that i start to write, or a few of the stories that i have already started? Without getting bored with them?

~Chi~

Nightangelchi
Crew

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200

Filthy Pervert
Captain

Dapper Tycoon

4,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:04 am
*sigh* if only creativity had an off switch.

I have the same exact problem. I get an idea for a theme to a story, then write like half of it nd get caught up with the beginning of another. The problem is that beginnings are always much more exciting than middles and endings.

So, I try to make a plot for a story before I start writing it down. Basically, once you've got a theme, build a beginning, a conflict, good guys, bad guys, middle, resolution, and end. Of course, some stories about school and modern life and all that don't have these exact features, but the main idea is the same. Once you've got that, you can write it down and pretty much stay focused on it until you're done.

Even then, sometimes I find myself drifting away from the mainstream story. If that happens, I let myself drift off with other things for a bit, but I set a night where I'm going to get my ideas down for the first one. Just set a time and do it, is basically what I'm aiming at here.

Well, I hope that was helpful. It's what I do, anyway, but it may not work in your case. Anyways, I hope you get lots of good advice from other people ]too ^^

~Jaw~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:07 am
Ok thank-you Jaw ^_^
I'll give that a try, along with re-reading half the stories i started writing, cause i forget all those little details i put in them hahahaha
~Chi~

Nightangelchi
Crew

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200

Ponderments
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:55 pm
I currently have over twenty different story plots drifting aimlessly alongside my brain, my problem is laziness. Well, not only that but that every time I sit down to type the thoughts magically disappear. I suppose I could try handwriting them first, but it takes so damn long. I'm considering talking to the doctor about ADD, but I really don't need another medical problem to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:00 pm
I dont have that problem at all.The biggest problem is the lazyness.I cant help it bnut if your able to read a chapter of my books you will love them.  

KingArtimis

Strawberry Rai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:05 pm

My problem is that I basically can't make beginings, so as an immediate result I start at the climax, and work my way back and such. Though sometimes I can not make it flow, or when I figure the story I want to write to be long, it comes out shorter. I know a suggestion maybe to start at the beginning but I have trouble jumping into a story, as well as dragging it on. Any suggestions at all?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:57 pm
Mm, well personally my thoughts get locked up when I get things down on keyboard/paper. So personally when I have that problem I like to keep the climax in my head and think about a cause. For example, if the climax is a huge fight between people, I think about what may have caused the fight. Then I write that down, followed by the climax. I don't know if that's any help, but it works for me.  

Filthy Pervert
Captain

Dapper Tycoon

4,150 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Strawberry Rai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:05 pm
That works, thank you. I have a question about beginnings tough: How would you begin a novella, and keep the reader interested? Or, how would you get into conflict from introducing a character? I read a lot so I see various examples but when I bring my pen to paper there is no spark...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:58 am
Sometimes when i have writer's block for the beginning of starting out a story, i grab one of my favorite author's books, and see how their first chapter started out, and if i don't like it, i'll try another one, and then lets say its a metaphor like example, dunno if you read, but Janet Evonovich's series, Stephanie Plum, her book 10, started out with "Life is like a Jelly donut, you take that first bite and think hey this is good, and once you start liking it more, you get a huge glob on your favorite shirt", and it went on from there about what went wrong with her life.
A lot of authors i've noticed start out with a problem that the character is dealing with, cause people just generally are interested in other people's problems XD hahahaha. hope that slightly helps for starting out

Nightangelchi
Crew

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200

Strawberry Rai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:42 am
Haha, yeah I guess your right. Thanks fo the advice. ^^'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:04 am
Yup no problem ^^  

Nightangelchi
Crew

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200

burntchurro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:23 pm
Nightangelchi
Whenever i get an idea for a story, i start writing it down asap, and keep it going with ideas, but then after so long i get bored with it, or i get new story ideas in my head and decide to start writing that story and the past keeps re-peating itself as the first story

I have only ever finished ONE story out of the so many that pile up in my room that i've started.

I've tried the show friends and let them read route, and i've tried the don't tell no one about it, either way i always end up never finishing these books that i thought at one point were awesome.

Any suggestions of how i can finish a story that i start to write, or a few of the stories that i have already started? Without getting bored with them?

~Chi~

I suffer from this problem too...it's annoying, isn't it. XD  
Sanctuary: The Poets and Writers Escape

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces