Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Being blunt in your opinions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ - Kara - ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:17 pm
I often have a problem with people that disagree with me, in that unless I get really interested in the argument, I have a tendency to just state my opinion in the bluntest way possible, and that's that. I guess you could call me unconfrontational, but I just don't feel like getting into arguments about opinions.

This has a tendency to irritate my non-Christian friends, especially when I get into 'sticky' topics, like abortion (wrong), age of the earth (6000), or something like that. They want to start debating, and I really am not interested.

Does anyone else feel like this? What's your opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:30 pm
If you're going to voice opinions that are against the norm about hot button topics then you have to be prepared to defend those views. If I were to come up to you and say "religion is a crutch for weak-minded lemmings" you wouldn't be willing to let the conversation end there would you? Why would you expect others to be held to a different standard?  

kitsunegami

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:38 pm
You always want to be firm, but gentle.

Firm so you don't get walked over.
Gentle so you aren't perceived as a hater.

3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:32 pm
I'm a firm believer in "Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked."

And if you're asked, you're obligated to answer why you think/feel that way should the question come up.  

PhaseBurn

IRL Gaian

Night WingsFtty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:56 am
Well, if you say an opinion you better be prepared to talk about it.

Though I agree, I often get tired of people's ignorance about my opinions. Sometimes it's best to not even respond.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:33 pm
I agree that you ought to be ready to talk about it. We are told in scripture to be ready to give an answer. We're also told to be calm and gentle and patient with others.

I always hope that I can make the distinction between something that is simply my opinon and something that is the Word of God. My opinion is debatable and I'd like to get to the point where I can put it out there and just be at peace with how others take it, knowing God is in control, he is the Way the Truth and the Life and let that be that!

And PhaseBurn, by the way. I appreciate the way you handle yourself and your opinions in most of your discussions. It is refreshing! I wish more of us could pull it off as well as you do!  

Dcaff

stopthebanningplease

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:47 am
Until you trying to impose your beliefs on others (Protesting abortion clinics, boycotting the government to teach creationism in schools, etc.) I could care less what you think. I'll happily debate with you, using the Bible or science (I'll win, too.) if you want, but I'm not going to open the debate unless you overstep the bounds on beliefs and facts.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:25 am
I'm fine with blunt opinions, but even if you are non-confrontational, you should at least be prepared to defend and support your beliefs.  

Tarantellatears

Kae tea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:48 pm
Speak the truth in love, and gentleness. Both halves of that are equally important.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:57 pm
Being Christian or not doesn't effect discussions with those I talk to. Blunt has it's place. So does polite. Though usually I find those that are blunt the same as those attempting to create a confrontation.  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Enigma in a Scribble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:44 pm
PhaseBurn
I'm a firm believer in "Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked."

And if you're asked, you're obligated to answer why you think/feel that way should the question come up.

I agree with PhaseBurn, just give your opinion if you're asked for it, or if in some case you have the ability to defend yourself then defend yourself. Just never belittle anyone, that makes you look foolish and if you are acting like you are more than somebody else then you are being foolish anyway; but yeah like most have said, loving but firm.

Loving, but don't let people walk on top of you. If you make your point then fine, end it at that; don't give them the pleasure of getting you into a arguement over something nobody is going to win, except God. Most of the time people just want to argue, it gives them a power high and if they are arguing with you then they don't wanna hear what you have to say in the first place, just don't give into it. There is a time to speak and a time to just walk away. I wish communication was easier sometimes, but most people are just so arogant and full pride that there is no way of getting through to them sometimes. All you can do is speak and pray.

If it's God's truth it won't return void. It will always serve it's purpose and glorify Him.

Isaiah 55:10 - 12
"The rain and snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry. It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it. You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and hills will burst into song, and the trees of the field will clap their hands! "  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:01 pm
i know how you feel, but dget to be compassionate towards those who were not taught God's word, and do not under stand heart  

my angels goddess

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:49 am
i have got that right now.there are people in the extended religious forum claiming that they are christian witches!i explained that a christian cannot be a witch and a christian both,but they are fuious and every quote from the bible i give is not relevent.there are also 'satanists' claiming that they are different to 'wiccans','pagans' and 'witches' and as far as i am concerned they are all pagan no matter what name they call themselves. some are even argueing about the difference between 'magic' and 'magick' xp !  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games