Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 pm
Ultramarine Violet
Esiris
Ultramarine Violet
Are there other gods/goddesses in European traditions that have notable connections with cats? Just off the tops of your heads? I'd appreciate the help, and will be researching on my own, as well. Thanks!

Palu?
Thank you much - I'm actually not familiar with Palu, so that'll be a good research exercise, at bare minimum. heart
Good luck  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:35 pm
Does anybody know of any symbols that correlate to "As above, so below"?  

Gho the Girl

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:26 pm
Banshee = bane sidhe.

Not really a question, I know, but I just made the connection and it's tickling my brain. So, in case anyone was wondering... *shrug*  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Gho the Girl

David's star, maybe? The six-pointed one that consists of two triangles entwined one, anyway. And the mirrorred moon or sun in water thing might fit also, I guess?

Hell, I don't know all that much about symbolism. 8D;

Say, do we have anything in this guild specifically for tarot-reading? I thought we did, but I.. haven't found it yet. XD; *probably so blind*

I was bored and to prevent me from bothering the ******** out of a friend, she passed me a boring book on tarot. I finished that, so now she gave me a slightly more interesting book on tarot. I'm still not sure this is something I want or should pursue, but it keeps my brain occupied.

Also, there's some pretty pictures out there, man..

Quote:
Banshee = bane sidhe.

Not really a question, I know, but I just made the connection and it's tickling my brain. So, in case anyone was wondering... *shrug*

Doesn't 'bane' mean 'lady of stature' or something? *tries to remember*  

Maze

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:25 pm
Maze

Say, do we have anything in this guild specifically for tarot-reading? I thought we did, but I.. haven't found it yet. XD; *probably so blind*

I was bored and to prevent me from bothering the ******** out of a friend, she passed me a boring book on tarot. I finished that, so now she gave me a slightly more interesting book on tarot. I'm still not sure this is something I want or should pursue, but it keeps my brain occupied.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=16787281
Here's the Tarot thread. What objectives do you have in mind when considering tarot? Also, most guidebooks tend to deal solely with the RWS-style decks, so you might want to investigate Thoth or Golden Dawn varieties if nothing's immediately jumping out at you.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:50 pm
AvalonAuggie

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=16787281
Here's the Tarot thread. What objectives do you have in mind when considering tarot? Also, most guidebooks tend to deal solely with the RWS-style decks, so you might want to investigate Thoth or Golden Dawn varieties if nothing's immediately jumping out at you.

Ha-HAH! Knew we had one! Thanks, AvalonAuggie. 3nodding

The book I just finished - I skipped the bit on combo-cards, admittedly - was written by Ann Moura and is called Tarot for the Green Witch. It mentions/uses a couple of decks but the explanation is pretty general. I'm not qualified enough to be sure if these decks are RWS-style or not, but she does mention that her style of tarotting is based on the way of the Green Witch?

Among the decks she mentions and portrays cards of in the book are the Bucklands Romani Deck, the Sacred Circle deck and the Robin Wood deck which has cartoony pictures which look pretty awesome, admittedly (/comic-book geek).

She's the author of Drawing Down The Moon and a bunch of other Green Witch things, apparently. She's big on the 'if it doesn't fit, change it so it does' practice too, if I read this book right.

As for what I have in mind when considering tarot.. That's the reason I'm not sure I should or shouldn't pursue it. I'm bored right now, so I need input. I was provided with input in the form of a book on tarot. I'm sort of getting interested in it, and I suspect that with practice I'll probably get totally awesome with it (/lack of realistic insight), but part of me is a bit iffy about having to use cards in order to do something that I feel I should be able to do without them as well.

I don't want to grow a crutch I don't need, but I have to admit that at this point in space and time my psychic abilities/intuition/etc. is, uh.. somewhat limited by the fact that I've got work to do and haven't really gotten around to making time for it. In that regards, bringing a game of cards with me might be a good way to help me practice inbetween.

I'm getting the impression that tarot reading is more like poking the matrix and going /what is, rather than /what will be, and that it should give you a better insight in things that are currently influencing situations you (or whoever you're asking about) are in, but seeing as how I only read two books on the subject, I'm probably not qualified for more than a general impression of. biggrin

/Ef, it's early. I need sleep. XD; /logoff.  

Maze

Adalyna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:34 am
Ok so I have a question. I know this has been gone over already but, hard polytheism and soft polytheism.

I'm starting to get the difference, but could someone explain these to me better?
Also pantheism, and what do you mean by the worship of archetypes.

is there a hard and soft monotheism?

Finally on a completely different topic, a really, really different topic... In regards to the difference between astral projection, and lucid dreaming? Anybody have any knowledge or insight? I'm Relatively familiar with the concept of lucid dreaming, but some people suggest that when people dream their always astral journeying, so... it baffles me a little.

Thanks for letting me post<3  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:03 pm
Asahi Sara

Inclusive and exclusive monotheism.

Inclusive monotheism is the same as soft polytheism as much as I know. My Hindu pundit used to interchange the two terms frequently.

Exclusive monotheism is strictly one deity, not the three-in-one exclusive monotheism/soft polytheism some schools of Hinduism play around with.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Adalyna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:58 pm
Wrath of Ezekiel
Asahi Sara

Inclusive and exclusive monotheism.

Inclusive monotheism is the same as soft polytheism as much as I know. My Hindu pundit used to interchange the two terms frequently.

Exclusive monotheism is strictly one deity, not the three-in-one exclusive monotheism/soft polytheism some schools of Hinduism play around with.

I'm still confused sweatdrop ok like if you believe that certain gods exist because you have experiences that make you feel that belief is justified, but you haven't experienced other gods so you don't know if they exist or not, what does that fall under? Like... ... I don't know how to explain, to me it feels like culture rape to try to lump other gods into a personal worldview of my cosmology, and carries a weight of suggesting invalidity to other views of cosmology... >.>; but some cosmological views of creation and such conflict with each other, so it seems wierd to say "they can all be true" but it seems like its just as bad to say, your gods are actually these other entities i believe in, by fitting them into personal cosmology.

I guess it comes from having been raised in a "one truth" kind of belief system where I was taught that all other gods and beliefs were a lie. I found the idea upsetting even when i was a kid.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:03 pm
Gho the Girl

I've seen a stylized tree with root system, where the roots and branches roughly mirror each other, associated with it. Don't have any pictures on hand for you though, sorry.  

Oniko-inuki

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 pm
Okay. I'm having a little trouble with this. Is Hecate/Hekate a greek god in origin, or was she snatched from Celtic myth and lore?

The reason I ask is because I'm part of a student pagan association at my campus, and we were discussing hellenic beliefs and practices. Some asked about Hecate/Hekate, and I told her that she was a greek goddess. Before I could get much farther, one of the newest members jumps in and claims Hecate/Hekate was originally a Celtic deity. I'm having a hard to believing it, but I can't seem to find sources other than Theoi that mention anything.

Help please? sweatdrop

Edit: Also, he brought up that much of what we know of Greek religion was bastardized by the Romans and therefore not accurate, making Hellenic polytheists full of crap(He said it, not me). Is this true? Having an issue finding scholarly work on it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:54 pm
Artistic Genocide
Okay. I'm having a little trouble with this. Is Hecate/Hekate a greek god in origin, or was she snatched from Celtic myth and lore?

The reason I ask is because I'm part of a student pagan association at my campus, and we were discussing hellenic beliefs and practices. Some asked about Hecate/Hekate, and I told her that she was a greek goddess. Before I could get much farther, one of the newest members jumps in and claims Hecate/Hekate was originally a Celtic deity. I'm having a hard to believing it, but I can't seem to find sources other than Theoi that mention anything.

Help please? sweatdrop

Edit: Also, he brought up that much of what we know of Greek religion was bastardized by the Romans and therefore not accurate, making Hellenic polytheists full of crap(He said it, not me). Is this true? Having an issue finding scholarly work on it as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hecate <-that might be able to help.

as for the roman bastardizing greek stuff, the romans only borrowed some gods/goddesses. others, like Diana, were there in italy before-hand. Some of those gods even came from older sources such as Venus/Aphrodite came from the Semetic goddess Astarte.  

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:58 pm
Strega Mama
Artistic Genocide

Help please? sweatdrop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hecate <-that might be able to help.

as for the roman bastardizing greek stuff, the romans only borrowed some gods/goddesses. others, like Diana, were there in italy before-hand. Some of those gods even came from older sources such as Venus/Aphrodite came from the Semetic goddess Astarte.
Thanks for the wiki page. might help some.

And I know they took a few gods, but that's not what he might. He meant the things like the Homeric hymns, The greek rituals, ect , and any information we had on those, was basterdized by the Romans making any and all information on it invalid....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:23 pm
Artistic Genocide

Help please? sweatdrop

What Celtic deity are they trying to equate with Hekate?

Truthfully I don't know one way or the other, but if Theoi doesn't mention it, I'd say it's probably unlikely. Even the Wiki page says nothing about Celtic connection (and GodChecker has her origins in Egypt - though that site is somewhat cringe-worthy sweatdrop ). If you could get a source on where they are getting their info, it'd be really helpful.

This is the only page I've found that even has the word Celtic on it...

Roman mythology also saw her as the goddess of the Trivia "the three ways", a folk belief, whether Celtic or Roman, that survived into the 7th century AD among the pagans of Flanders.

But that is only talking about how Romans view her - not that she was in anyway actually a Celtic deity.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:49 am
Artistic Genocide

Help please? sweatdrop

Hekate is very firmly greek. She's mentioned in the Theogny, and apparently even earlier.
Quote:

That's because what he's saying is pretty much crap. We know plenty of both time periods. At this point, he needs to cite his sources and how he knows that.

What went on in Greece does seem to get a bit muddled during Roman rule. But the Romans didn't travel back in time and get rid of all historical evidence of Hellenic religion. Tell him to read Burket and then come back to you.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff