Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
You Know You're Too Obsessed with Languages when... Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:43 am
I don't think I've ever eaten Tandori Chicken...

What's it like?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:46 am
Doppelgaanger
I don't think I've ever eaten Tandori Chicken...

What's it like?

Delicious. By not eating it, you're successfully missing Life.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Vice Captain

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:07 pm
surprised

Well then...

I must find some... somewhere...

Oh, I just realized what the word "Andean" meant...

:Sweat:  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:07 pm
Vajra B. Hairava
Yeah, thats true. But come on, they have ******** POMEGRANATE JUICE STANDS. RIGHT IN THE STREET. AND THEY GIVE YOU POMEGRANATE JUICE.

D; Honestly?...

My goodness! I wish I lived there.  

Kalathma

Vajra B. Hairava

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:17 pm
I'm not so sure of that.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:17 pm
Quite.

Farsian/Persi is a lovely language, though.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Vice Captain

Vajra B. Hairava

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:19 pm
The language is lovely. I'd never think that a language with so much /{/ could be so elegant.

Though orthographically, I hate it. I hate the Arabic abjad. Its just plain retarded. Especially in Persian, since because of the lack of lots of consonants that were in classical arabic persian doesn't have, there are tons of letters with identical sounds. I realize that if you grow up as a native speaker of the language, whatever it is, its not that hard to figure things out since you're familiar with the sounds of most of the words in the language already anyway. But from the standpoint of learning the language, its a huge pain in the a**. Thats the main reason that I haven't made that much progress in Arabic or Urdu or Persian, that damn orthography. I think the Tajik dialect of Persian is written in the Cyrillic alphabet though, I think I'll look into that, right nao.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:41 pm
I love the Arabic abjad.

I didn't find it all that hard to learn... Took three days, tops...

But it's so cool how it all flows together...

But when you have stylized versions, that's when it can be difficult for a non-native reader to understand... I'll post some pics in a new thread later...  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Vajra B. Hairava

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:32 pm
Its not that its hard to learn, its just kinda dumb in my opinion. Thank god the greeks got the idea to start putting vowels.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:16 pm
I hate the arabic abjad. The letters aren't that hard to learn, but I'm terrible at cursive, writing right to left isn't helping(though I'm talanted at writing upside down, I tried signing my name that way for the first time today and it wasn't working out that well), and it's a pain to read to me.  

kyuuketsuki4

Hawk_McKrakken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:38 pm
Vajra B. Hairava
Its not that its hard to learn, its just kinda dumb in my opinion. Thank god the greeks got the idea to start putting vowels.

Incidentally, I've always thought syllabaries were kinda dumb. I guess I'm just not a vowel person. I practice the way of the consonant.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:01 am
I was talking about alphabets, not syllabaries. Never heard of the greek syllabary now have you?  

Vajra B. Hairava

Hawk_McKrakken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:08 am
I know. And I was addressing the fact that you found abjads (writing without vowels) dumb by countering it with the fact that I found syllabaries (writing with too damn many vowel sounds) much inferior.

Where did you leave your comprehensive listening skills this morning, old boy? Sheesh. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:21 am
-blows whistle-

Move along, move along, folks. Nothing to see here.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Vice Captain

Mrs. Ringo Starr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:21 pm
Things that prove I'm obsessed with languages?

Based on the accents of the people you're speaking to, you can almost pinpoint which country they're from, and then adress them in their mothertongue without even thinking about it. (As a cashier in an airport, it happens to me all the time)  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff