Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Battletech: A Time of War Interest Check Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:41 am
Raganui Minamoto

PupSage

Mongooseh

Ok, so based on what Plainsfox said...

Plainsfox
OK. For the record, A typical scout/raiding 'mech walks 5 and most jump 5.
Thus far, we have a 4 walk heavy, a 4 walk medium, and a 3 walk heavy. It's going to be some interesting raiding, to be sure. It can be done though.

Do we want to keep with our slow heavy Mechs or change to ones more suited for the raid style missions we are going on?

Also how do we want our backstory to be? Were we already together in a small mercenary unit that was then hired to do these jobs. Or were each hired individually and this is the first time our characters have ever seen or worked together.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:21 am
I think slow is fine, I've hot speed and scouting covered, I went with the Mon66 because it has better sensors. And with me rocking a +6 to perception and sensor operation, with sixth sense and good vision, I feel pretty confident with my ability to let you all know whats coming.

I like the idea of being newly assembled. Maybe we knew eachother slightly, but weren't on a team? I was thonking that Cammy and Jun would be close because Xenophobic Draconis stuff.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm
*silently sits back and waits to see wuts going on.*  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:41 pm
I... hmm... Good question. On one hand, the heavier mechs, while slower, are better armored and normally better armed. On the other hand, if we're mean to be doing Hit and Run... honestly, the problem is I don't exactly know how you all want to play this.

I'm from Capellan Confederate or something. Actually have a reputation from there of -1.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:48 pm
Minimal destruction delivered fast or slow and utter devastation.

twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:53 pm
Well I was thinking of if we insist of meeting speed requirements of mediums I would swap to a Ostroc which is still a heavy but liek sanic goes faest.

Also would insist it looks like this re imagining I have trouble with the aesthetics of battletech.

User Image  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 pm
Honestly, I think we need to see what Plainsfox has in store for us. If we're suppose to be 'go in and hit something and leave' missions, we're going to need speed. But if we're looking at more prolonged battles ahead, then we'll probably keep with the heavier units. Though we may want to look into having at least one laser weapon added to our units soon as we can weld one on.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 pm
Hmm, well it seems like people are either unsure or favor the heavier mechs. I honestly don't know and am only going off what Plainfox has said. I've never played this system before. I was mostly planing on parking my mech in the back of the map sniping at targets while moving between cover and keeping behind you guys and the enemy. At least running 5 with the Galahad shouldn't be to much of an issue as I have 10 heat sinks with weapons that only generate 2 heat per round.

Plainsfox

I actually have a question for Plainsfox

Are Aimed Shots useful? I'm trying to figure out if Marksman and Sharpshooter are worth it since I can only shoot one weapon with an aimed shot and it seems difficult to hit with. My backup option was to take Range Finder and Weapon Specialization instead if you think those would be better.

Also, do you think Glass Jaw is too dangerous of a trait to take? I wanted to take it to put emphasis on Cammy being frail but 1.5 damage from hits against her person seems risky. I just curious for the opinion of someone who has played the game.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm
The basic goal is to have your force hit a target, do a lot of damage, and withdraw. With a slow force, you'll have less time to deal with responses and defenders. Riskier tactics may help here, and you'll have more firepower at your disposal.

Quicker forces have the ability to be more flexible, maybe forcing defenders to spread themselves out more. Lack of fire power may be a problem.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 pm
So, basically, it's down to do we hit fast and have time to run and all, but be more vulnerable and less able to handle prolonged engagements, or do we go with heavier and they had more time to prepare since they'll detect us sooner (being bigger) and we're slower. But we'll be able to handle prolonged fights.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 pm
Well ... I'm fast and mid range.
Kow is sniping.
Mon is super short range with flamethrowers.

Seems like we need some mid range and front lines.

Is there a mech with a giant laser sword? we need that.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:06 pm
OK, here is what I'm seeing is the current iteration of 'mechs.

Mongoose, OSR-2C Ostroc (5 walk, 2 large, 2 med lasers, 1 SRM 4)
Raga, TLS-1B Talos (4 walk, 1 AC 10, 2 LRM 5, 1 SRM 6)
Kowsauni, SCP-1N Scorpion (6 Walk Quad, 1 PPC, 1 SRM 6)
Pupsage, MON-66 Mongoose (8 walk, 3 med lasers, 1 small laser BAP)  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 pm
I got to say my heart still lies with the Galahad, especially since I have an idea on how I would like to mod it in the future. (Replace one gauss and one ton of ammo with a PPC, 4 med lasers and 3 more heat sinks and see if I could use two tons to upgrade the engine)

But if you guys think it will be too slow for the style of missions we are doing (Plainfox said it has a walk of 3 so I'm guessing that means it can run 5) I'll go with either the Scorpion or Griffin. Just kind of hard to say no to that kind of firepower, but the Scorpion does seem to have some interesting perks as the +2 to piloting and the ability to move sideways and drop prone behind partial cover to break line of sight.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 am
I wonder why the scorpion behaves more like a crab than the crab mechs do.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 pm
As much as I love kinetics and Gauss weaponry, and the idea of a big a** mech with a big a** cannon sniping s**t, we're probably better off with the Scorpion. I may switch off the Talos, look for at least Walk 5, but I do have the LRMs for artillery on it. I'll talk to Fox about the various Medium mechs he's got listed before I finalize.

Admittedly, part of my favor for the Talos is the fact that it looks like a Timberwolf, with one arm having a hand (which could be very useful).

Edit: Yep, yep. I'm changing to a Shadow Hawk. Comparable durability I think, faster, jump jets. Not as strong on the weapons front directly, but comes with a laser which may be useful for longer engagements.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff