Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:50 am
TaeKyon
Mangafairy
deathcomes_onsilentwings
I love Tae Kwon Do. I went to a school based on TKD and we didn't do it for sport. We did it for self defense.

You see? That I like, when it is for a propper cause!

*rolls eyes* Martial Arts for self defense, a naive fantasy.

Hardly xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:05 pm
Mangafairy
TaeKyon
Mangafairy
deathcomes_onsilentwings
I love Tae Kwon Do. I went to a school based on TKD and we didn't do it for sport. We did it for self defense.

Hardly xd

Uh, no, I'm quite serious. Martial arts for self defense is an unrealistic marketing scheme propogated by martial arts schools to capitilize on the fears of overprotective mothers and a post 9/11 world. Most of the people who believe they can perform in a street situation w/ some preset combination of blocks and strikes have never taken a solid punch to the jaw; it's all closely related to the same reasons TMAists do poorly in mma.  

TaeKyon

The Draken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:17 pm
Keyboard Warrior
Just to add on to what I just stated:

Speed and POWER also don't mean s**t if you're not willing to test them out in an alive, resistant manner.

WTF TKD, though they have somewhat full contact sparring, lacks in the fact that they don't allow kicking below the waist, de-emphasizes hand techniques, doesn't allow kneeing(even though KNEES are in at least one poomse...Taegeuk Chil-Jong/6th, to be exact), and encourage very very bad habits(i.e. keeping hands down, kicking high, improper blocking of high kicks, etc.).

ATA is worse, as they endorse the karate point sparring system. ITF....varies, sometimes an ITF school will endorse full contact while others will adopt the point sparring system.

Of course, on occasion, you do run into independent TKD schools that endorse full contact training which resembles kickboxing more than anything. These, however, are far and few between.

That's not true.
I'm in a WTF school, and our main goal is to kick high.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:49 am
TaeKyon
Mangafairy
TaeKyon
Mangafairy
deathcomes_onsilentwings

Hardly xd

Uh, no, I'm quite serious. Martial arts for self defense is an unrealistic marketing scheme propogated by martial arts schools to capitilize on the fears of overprotective mothers and a post 9/11 world. Most of the people who believe they can perform in a street situation w/ some preset combination of blocks and strikes have never taken a solid punch to the jaw; it's all closely related to the same reasons TMAists do poorly in mma.

Martial-arts have been around for...well...ages, samurai were used to defend their lords and now these special skills know as martial-arts have been changed to fight against threats in our modern world. As to a marketing scheme?? You don't know where to look then, many schools do not raise any money for training people, my sensei doesn't get any money from us, and what is left goes either towards newer mats or a beer down the pub afterwards. biggrin Traditional martial arts can still be a mma, Budokan karate is 3 TMA, Karate, Aikido and Iaido.  

Mangafairy

TaeKyon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:31 am
Mangafairy
Martial-arts have been around for...well...ages, samurai were used to defend their lords and now these special skills know as martial-arts have been changed to fight against threats in our modern world.

Samurai also trained in a period where warfare was a way of life. We do not live in an era of constant warfare. Samurai ways of life (as is true w/ warrior ways of most all warring dynasties) were replaced by civilization and modernization with the advent of the Meiji Restoration, making many such techniques and skills obsolete or lost completely in time. If you honestly think you're learning the same techniques w/ the same training intent and efficiency as soldiers in civilizations past, you are naive.

Mangafairy
Traditional martial arts can still be a mma, Budokan karate is 3 TMA, Karate, Aikido and Iaido.

Semantics. MMA generally refers to the full contact sport, not mixing any such martial arts. Only if you took your TMAs, Karate, Aikido, and Iaido into a full contact ring would you be considered a "MMA" fighter. You should know this, stop grasping at straws.  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff