Welcome to Gaia! ::

River of Polls : A GUILD OF RANDOMNESS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Back to Guilds

A random-based guild in which you may literally spam, chat, and do whatever you want. (Just follow the TOS and have fun!!!) 

Tags: Spam, Polls, Chat, Everything, Hangout, Role-playing, Role, Play, Word, Games, Quizzes, Discussion, Friends, Roleplay 

Reply River of Polls
So, what have I been up to? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you finished college?
  no I'm in high school
  no i'm in college though
  i have an associates degree
  i have a bachelor's degree
  i have a graduate degree
  masters degree
  I don't plan on going to college.
View Results

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 pm
Tree_Spirit 5
Thats, not what I'm saying. it's more like, you know how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square?
Having Aspergers is like a severe case of Autism. you already have Autism, it's the same thing, you just have, a more severe case. and it manifests in a way that has been listed as something separate, but isn't really.

Uh, no. Gotta step in here. Aspergers is a lesser form of Autism. In other words, Aoi will no longer be diagnosed as havin' any mental disorder.

Aspergers was just a way for people to label people who are socially awkward. It's not how everyone is, but it isn't a mental disorder.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 pm
Which is the high functioning one? it's been years since I took my disorders of psychology class. (I'm sure a fair amount of facts have changed since then as well. I took it in my freshman year of college back in fall 2006)
Glad you're stepping in, though my teaching job doesn't set me up specifically with children with any of these problems without a long list of what sort of things to look for. I'm more of the in training school social worker and work with a co workers with a few more years of experience and a stronger psychology focus than me.

It is important to know these things. just I'm a little rusty at it, and I'm mostly dealing with the children who are acting out and getting papers done, filed and setting up meetings for potential issues. none of the diagnoses except as an extra source. I rather feel like my job is mostly paperwork.....  

Tree_Spirit 5

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:44 pm
Semok
Tree_Spirit 5
Thats, not what I'm saying. it's more like, you know how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square?
Having Aspergers is like a severe case of Autism. you already have Autism, it's the same thing, you just have, a more severe case. and it manifests in a way that has been listed as something separate, but isn't really.

Uh, no. Gotta step in here. Aspergers is a lesser form of Autism. In other words, Aoi will no longer be diagnosed as havin' any mental disorder.

Aspergers was just a way for people to label people who are socially awkward. It's not how everyone is, but it isn't a mental disorder.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 am
Aoi the Crossdresser
Semok
Tree_Spirit 5

Integratin' it as part of the Autistic diagnosis means that the symptoms of Aspergers will then be considered only one symptom of Autism, meanin' that you'd then have to show more symptoms in order to be diagnosed. It'll only be a part of Autism, but not enough to be diagnosed with it.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 pm
That's stupid. They better not. stare

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1265831--autism-definition-to-be-enlarged-as-asperger-s-diagnosis-disappears

I don't quite understand this article, but it says that they are going to consider Asperger's a "HIGH functioning" form of Autism. I think it is giving a sums up that Asperger's is going to be treated like Autism since they are declaring that it is relatively the same as Autism.

I am reading the main symptoms of Aspergers and real Autism and they both sound very similar in terms of symptoms.

I think they are going to start treating Asperger's as high functioning Autism, but still autism nonetheless and are going to make people with Asperger's receive the same treatments and services as people with Autism, at least according to the article.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:52 pm
The high functionin' thing makes no sense, since one of the main parts of the definition of mental disorders is an inability to function normally in everyday life. High functionin' breaks that, meanin' it isn't a mental disorder.

It's like sayin' that if a person gets sad every once and a while but can still get through their life normally they have high functionin' depression. Just stupid.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Semok
The high functionin' thing makes no sense, since one of the main parts of the definition of mental disorders is an inability to function normally in everyday life. High functionin' breaks that, meanin' it isn't a mental disorder.

It's like sayin' that if a person gets sad every once and a while but can still get through their life normally they have high functionin' depression. Just stupid.
Your the one who's stupid.

The site says that ppl who have been previously diagnosed with aspergers will be able to keep their label in stuff and will instead receive the same treatment as ppl with Autism. Instead of having Aspergers, I will instead have High-functioning Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

And function in normal life for me? Wow, i'd fail miserably. I hate dealing with ppl, especially ones I do not know. I won't talk to anyone unless I have to, and if I do have to talk to them it may end in disaster. I may be like "******** YOU!!!!" "YOUR STUPID" To them if they piss me off or they act stupid.

I can talk with all of you on Gaia easily because it is text, so I can easily seem like I am social but in real life it is completely different, anti-social and different, silent. sad Shikume and Teatime know this.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:25 am
And as I've said a million times, that isn't a disorder. People have to learn how to talk to people in real life. It isn't a skill you're born with.

If you stay online all day and avoid talkin' to people in real life, then of course you're not gonna be good at it.

It's like if I'm not good at soccer, and have never tried to play soccer, it doesn't mean I have a soccer playin' deficiency. I just haven't tried or practiced enough.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Roisu

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 am
I'm gonna side with Aoi on this one.Normally, I like you Semok, but the things you are saying are rude and ignorant.

It's hard for him to be social, and while it is a skill he needs to practice, it's much harder for him to learn than a 'normal' person. (My psychologist said I'm not supposed to call other people 'normal' because it implies people like Aoi and I are abnormal, but I don't care.) Yes, Semok, he needs to practice. But it's like he has a learning disability, only with social stuff. (of course, somebody who doesn't believe in high functioning mental disorders probably doesn't believe in learning disabilities, either)

Your soccer analogy just doesn't work. Americans go to school for 12-14 years, and more for college. Even assuming Aoi didn't start school until 1st grade, and only took online classes for high school and college (unlikely but possible), that still means a bare minimum of eight years of regular social interaction with both adults and peers. I'm pretty sure he went to a traditional high school and college and that he regularly interacts offline with his family and Shikume. That's well over eight years practicing "soccer" during his developmental years. If you played soccer nearly as much as he socialized, you could move to Brazil and be a star.

"The high functionin' thing makes no sense, since one of the main parts of the definition of mental disorders is an inability to function normally in everyday life. High functionin' breaks that, meanin' it isn't a mental disorder."
This is almost as ignorant as the people who say mental illness isn't a real medical condition. A mental disorder is a mental disorder, no matter how big or small the scope. You're pretty much saying that if an asthmatic can run a mile, then they aren't asthmatic.

"It's like sayin' that if a person gets sad every once and a while but can still get through their life normally they have high functionin' depression. Just stupid."
If a person gets sad every once in a while, then they're a normal person.
If a person gets sad regularly but the rest of the time is able to maintain a regular life, that's high functioning depression.
And don't you dare try to tell me I am not depressed, just because I've been happy the last few days.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:37 am
I love you ROisu. biggrin

And I started in Kingdergarden I think, and I went to a normal high school.

I just never talked to ppl unless I had to and just did my individual work and always got A's. I hated being called on and working in groups. HATE!!!!

And at college I preferred online classes soon because not only we could cheat and are easier, but not have to talk to ppl or show up for class. If I did take face to face courses, I made sure it was easy and most of them were just lectures and tests where I didn't have to talk or anything. History degree you know, and Sociology I mostly took online.  

Aoi the Crossdresser

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:49 pm
Agree to disagree, then. I'm done with this argument, since we obviously have different views on how people are and should be.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:54 pm
I will say, however, that I do apologize if what I say is rude. I have seen too many wonderful and brilliant people give up on themselves because they believe they have a disorder and can't overcome it. Too many people just accept that they have a problem and they just give up and use it as an excuse. I know that not everyone is like that, but I've come across enough people who act like that that it has made me lose almost all faith in the use of diagnosin' mental disorders and prescribin' medication for them.

Like anyone, there are people who have more difficulty in certain behaviors/subjects than others, whether it be social skills or mathematical abilities. I'm simply statin' that that does not make it a disorder. It is just a talent that takes more practice and experience than others.

No one person is the same. One person might only take a few years in school to become a master of social abilities. Others might take beyond the usual years of school, but that does not mean they have a problem. It only makes them an individual.

It makes no sense to assume that all people are the same, so it should not be expected for all people to reach the same level of all skills at exactly the same time.

That is all I'm tryin' to say. I happen to get a bit emotional when this subject is raised due to personal experiences, mainly bein' my brother who was diagnosed with aspergers and gave up on himself.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:02 pm
Semok
Agree to disagree, then. I'm done with this argument, since we obviously have different views on how people are and should be.
I WANT SSI AND CASH ASSISTANCE AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!! IF MY FRIENDS CAN GET IT FOR DEPRESSION/ANXIETY THEN ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 pm
Aoi the Crossdresser
Semok
I WANT SSI AND CASH ASSISTANCE AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!! IF MY FRIENDS CAN GET IT FOR DEPRESSION/ANXIETY THEN ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!

Is that all you want? Wouldn't you want to not have the disorder, so you could function normally?  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:05 pm
No. I always ensure that I am the most ******** up as possible so I can not be able to work so I can get SSI or cash assistance.

My friend Richard s so lucky he has schizophrenia.  
River of Polls

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff