Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Transgender Awareness Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-AvalonChristopher-

Profitable Lover

6,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:10 pm
Esiris
-AvalonChristopher-

Lol, okay, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a slur XD
That's how most slurs keep going. cat_3nodding
Quote:
Are you FINALLYYY happy?
Dude, you have turned this into way more than it was supposed to be!
I have been on gaia for 6 years and never encountered anyone like you.
I kind of think that's sad- I wish more people would speak out against ablism and stuff, maybe then people would really change.

With any minority rights- a lot of time is spent with people who have privilege saying that other people speaking out on that kind of thing is "unnecessary" and that it happens all the time- but when asked about what all the time looks like, it's usually maybe once every few months. Confronting our privilege is uncomfortable- believe me I know. cat_3nodding

It's not like I go around gaia saying how stupid and dumb s**t is.
So the one time that I do say something, I have someone all over my a** XD
I don't mind, I'm not going to fight you about it.
It's easier just to ignore it though, which is my opinion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 pm
-AvalonChristopher-

Ok- that makes me want to understand 2 things:
1- if it is truly easier to ignore it, why not ignore the hate speech targeting LGBT?
2- Is easier and better the same thing? Like, if it's easier to ignore it, but it hurts people, is it still the right thing to do? I think if no one stands up for people outside of their group, no one will stand beside them either.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

-AvalonChristopher-

Profitable Lover

6,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm
Esiris
-AvalonChristopher-

Ok- that makes me want to understand 2 things:
1- if it is truly easier to ignore it, why not ignore the hate speech targeting LGBT?
2- Is easier and better the same thing? Like, if it's easier to ignore it, but it hurts people, is it still the right thing to do? I think if no one stands up for people outside of their group, no one will stand beside them either.

Again, you are reading way too much into what I am typing.
Lol, thats why I italicized the 'opinion part.
Both of those things are pretty obvious.
Can I not say anything without you harassing me about everything, dude?
I don't mean anything by it XD
You have your own reason to confront people about pointless things they say.
I would rather just not say anything, it creates too much drama and unneeded arguments.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:54 am
Gaga-Sexual
Lady Kayura
Belethiel
So the protest was only on Facebook? Well, I'm still trying to get used to Facebook, I'm older than that thing, I didn't grow up with it. :I A protest online is something new to me.

D: They called her an "it"? That's horrible, it's kind of dehumanizing.

I agree, she did put herself at risk by participating in that prank and it wasn't the best way to educate people. I think the point of it was "It's okay to flirt with a trans person", but I think just talking about it is a better way to spread that message. A prank just unsettles the target audience.

People have been encouraged to go onto the Cake Boss's Facebook page and let them know how upset they are and demand an apology. I'm sure it is possible people called the Cake Boss via telephone or sent a letter via snail mail but in everything I've read, phone numbers and addresses weren't given out or encouraged to be used. Just sign petitions and post on their FB page. So getting a post via Facebook doesn't surprise me. How else to reach people better? Certainly not via a show that people are saying they won't watch anymore.

I was talking about this with my boything today. Something that didn't involve a prank would've raised more awareness without the negative feelings that this has created.

We agree that the point was a trans woman is just like any other woman. But the way this was executed was not the way to go. Boything told me about a transgendered documentary he's seen. That's a good way to raise awareness. Then I thought of Isis, a trans woman that was on America's Next Top Model, how she explained who she was and what her life was like. That was really educational.

I feel that this prank, while it meant no harm, has done more damage than good. sad

They should have aired an apology before the next new one (which will air Monday). The whole online thing is great but there are people who aren't on facebook who need to know that they are sorry for what they did. The only way to reach those viewers is to apologize via the TV. People who most likely don't even know it was wrong to begin with are the ones who need that apology more than us.

The prank was tasteless but I get where she was coming from. A woman is a woman is a woman. It doesn't matter if she has a Y chromosome or not.

Since the outrage is online, I guess we're going to agree to disagree.

And I get where she is coming from too. But I don't approve of her poor choice in pranks.

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:08 am
Lady Kayura
Belethiel
So the protest was only on Facebook? Well, I'm still trying to get used to Facebook, I'm older than that thing, I didn't grow up with it. :I A protest online is something new to me.

D: They called her an "it"? That's horrible, it's kind of dehumanizing.

I agree, she did put herself at risk by participating in that prank and it wasn't the best way to educate people. I think the point of it was "It's okay to flirt with a trans person", but I think just talking about it is a better way to spread that message. A prank just unsettles the target audience.

People have been encouraged to go onto the Cake Boss's Facebook page and let them know how upset they are and demand an apology. I'm sure it is possible people called the Cake Boss via telephone or sent a letter via snail mail but in everything I've read, phone numbers and addresses weren't given out or encouraged to be used. Just sign petitions and post on their FB page. So getting a post via Facebook doesn't surprise me. How else to reach people better? Certainly not via a show that people are saying they won't watch anymore.

I was talking about this with my boything today. Something that didn't involve a prank would've raised more awareness without the negative feelings that this has created.

We agree that the point was a trans woman is just like any other woman. But the way this was executed was not the way to go. Boything told me about a transgendered documentary he's seen. That's a good way to raise awareness. Then I thought of Isis, a trans woman that was on America's Next Top Model, how she explained who she was and what her life was like. That was really educational.

I feel that this prank, while it meant no harm, has done more damage than good. sad

that was my favorite season of america's next top model. my sister and i were so sad when she left. isis helped alot of my friends realize that transexuals arent freaky and want to be known as the gender they feel indtead of a "cross dressing tranny" which they didnt know was offensive to transpeople at the time.

i think it also helped my dad too because that season wasnt long after one of his coworkers came out as a transwoman and got the alterations done to make her body right.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 am
-AvalonChristopher-
Again, you are reading way too much into what I am typing.
Lol, thats why I italicized the 'opinion part.
Both of those things are pretty obvious.
I think that just because someone has an opinion that doesn't mean there isn't a reason for the opinion- so that's why I asked.

Quote:
Can I not say anything without you harassing me about everything, dude?
Sorry- I didn't realize you felt harassed, I'm just having a conversation. I think opinions are important to examine- especially when the opinions protect privilege.
Is there a way we can continue the conversation without you feeling harassed?

Quote:
I don't mean anything by it XD
You have your own reason to confront people about pointless things they say.
I would rather just not say anything, it creates too much drama and unneeded arguments.
But I don't think they're pointless- because there are studies that show when people use language like that, creating stereotypes, that it makes it easier to stereotype others and that leads to prejudice and discrimination.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:05 am
Carmen just released a statement on her FB page:

Quote:
FOR THE LAST TIME, THIS GOES TO THE PEOPLE WHO THINK I SIGNED UP FOR WHAT HAPPENED:
“They presented [Cake Boss] to me as a family show. I thought this would be perfect to raise awareness about transgender discrimination and send a positive message to this audience,” she explains. “I was going to go in there, flirt a little bit [with Anthony] and then it would be revealed I was transgender and people could see it is not embarrassing to flirt with a transgender woman or to find a transgender woman sexy or attractive.”

The shoot went great according to Carmen, and she even stayed after she was done filming her secene with Anthony in the club. “I came back after the scene and everyone said I was beautiful and they respected me. [Cousin Anthony] shook my husband’s hand and we took photos together. It felt like a sense of unity.” (TLC filmed footage also).

WHAT WE FILMED AND THE SENSE OF UNITY THAT WE HAD ON SET WAS EDITED WAAAAAY DIFFERENTLY. IM NOT BEING DRAMATIC, I JUST DONT WANT IT TO SEEM THAT I WAS A PART OF WHAT WAS SHOWN. GET IT? NOW GET OVER IT.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 pm
Shanna66
that was my favorite season of america's next top model. my sister and i were so sad when she left. isis helped alot of my friends realize that transexuals arent freaky and want to be known as the gender they feel indtead of a "cross dressing tranny" which they didnt know was offensive to transpeople at the time.

i think it also helped my dad too because that season wasnt long after one of his coworkers came out as a transwoman and got the alterations done to make her body right.

I really enjoyed that season too! She was on the all stars season but was soon kicked off. I was really sad that she left so early in that season. I really hope to see her doing things in the future. Modeling or acting or something!

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:58 pm
Sifen Yamishi
Carmen just released a statement on her FB page:

Quote:
FOR THE LAST TIME, THIS GOES TO THE PEOPLE WHO THINK I SIGNED UP FOR WHAT HAPPENED:
“They presented [Cake Boss] to me as a family show. I thought this would be perfect to raise awareness about transgender discrimination and send a positive message to this audience,” she explains. “I was going to go in there, flirt a little bit [with Anthony] and then it would be revealed I was transgender and people could see it is not embarrassing to flirt with a transgender woman or to find a transgender woman sexy or attractive.”

The shoot went great according to Carmen, and she even stayed after she was done filming her secene with Anthony in the club. “I came back after the scene and everyone said I was beautiful and they respected me. [Cousin Anthony] shook my husband’s hand and we took photos together. It felt like a sense of unity.” (TLC filmed footage also).

WHAT WE FILMED AND THE SENSE OF UNITY THAT WE HAD ON SET WAS EDITED WAAAAAY DIFFERENTLY. IM NOT BEING DRAMATIC, I JUST DONT WANT IT TO SEEM THAT I WAS A PART OF WHAT WAS SHOWN. GET IT? NOW GET OVER IT.

Reality television = deception television.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:13 pm
Lady Kayura

I really enjoyed that season too! She was on the all stars season but was soon kicked off. I was really sad that she left so early in that season. I really hope to see her doing things in the future. Modeling or acting or something!

She's doing some movies from what I heard.
And is modeling American Apparel for a clothing line they unveiled lately.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 pm
Sifen Yamishi

She's doing some movies from what I heard.
And is modeling American Apparel for a clothing line they unveiled lately.

I'm thrilled to hear she's working! She's probably in my top five of former ANTM models. Hard to say if #1 is Allison or Azmarie. Hrm, maybe top six if the twins count as two spots. xD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:21 pm
Lady Kayura

I'm thrilled to hear she's working! She's probably in my top five of former ANTM models. Hard to say if #1 is Allison or Azmarie. Hrm, maybe top six if the twins count as two spots. xD

Twins count as one slot.
smile  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:25 pm
Sifen Yamishi
Lady Kayura

Twins count as one slot.
smile

Mmm. Twins.

I mean, top five then. xD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:05 pm
Esiris

Just joking around with you, lighten up, eh? mrgreen
And, for the most part, I do ignore LGBT hate speech, most of the time.
I know there is nothing I can do to change their thoughts or actions on why gay people are so horrible, so why even try?
I would speak out against it, if someone asked, but other than that, I think its going to be around until the world ends rather we like it or not =/
I was creating a stereotype? I didn't realize. I'm sorry.

-AvalonChristopher-

Profitable Lover

6,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:53 pm
-AvalonChristopher-

And, for the most part, I do ignore LGBT hate speech, most of the time.
Ignoring it reinforces it because it sends a message that dehumanizing other people is ok.

Quote:
I know there is nothing I can do to change their thoughts or actions on why gay people are so horrible, so why even try?
I've changed people's minds before- I guess I don't count it as impossible.
Quote:

I would speak out against it, if someone asked, but other than that, I think its going to be around until the world ends rather we like it or not =/
I guess I feel that people should work for a better life instead of giving up- it used to be that my parents being married was illegal, and that I couldn't eat at certain places white people did- but now it's not. Some people used to say it would always be like that too- but things changed because people didn't give up.
Quote:
I was creating a stereotype? I didn't realize. I'm sorry.

It was less creating and more reinforcing- sorry for mistyping.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff