Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:20 pm
Gho the Girl
I want to, am I? I already assign pretty much everything a personality. My cars especially, but also animals I interact with.

What is animism technically, and what would participating in animistic worship involve, as a baseline?
Animism is the belief that everything has a spiritual essence- for lack of a better word.

Animism doesn't comment on a style of worship any more than the term Theism does, so your animistic religion could include any worship traditions you see fit (within reason of course).

Quote:
I see. Thank you.
Quote:
Wibbles.

Quote:
It's where I really got excited about my faith which was already budding, but I admit I kind of got distracted along the way.
Finding that first thing that "makes sense" is a rush isn't it?

I'll do something I rarely do. I'll give you a personal example. whee

When I found that "first thing", it was because I had been drawing what pop-paganism would call Elementals. Personified elements. I had made up names for them, but they had this strange Welsh "dd" spelling suffix on them. My aunt has always been interested in my artwork and she asked why I was saying and spelling their names wrong. I asked her what she meant, and she gave me a crash course in Rroma Spiritual Language. When you took off the suffix, I had the proper names of the things I was drawing from a language I hadn't heard since I was very little, and never been exposed to those words.

That was that first "Ho s**t." moments.

Quote:
So, I could write them down if I ask them, yes?
Good way to go about it in my book. Maybe someone else will give you some feed back that might sound better to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 pm
TeaDidikai
Animism is the belief that everything has a spiritual essence- for lack of a better word.

Animism doesn't comment on a style of worship any more than the term Theism does, so your animistic religion could include any worship traditions you see fit (within reason of course).
It is up my alley then, and I will definitely watch the traditions. Rule of thumb about incorporating other traditions is if it's a closed or open one, yes?

Quote:
Wibbles.
Wibbles?
Quote:

Quote:
It's where I really got excited about my faith which was already budding, but I admit I kind of got distracted along the way.
Finding that first thing that "makes sense" is a rush isn't it?
YEAH!
Quote:

I'll do something I rarely do. I'll give you a personal example. whee
surprised
Quote:

When I found that "first thing", it was because I had been drawing what pop-paganism would call Elementals. Personified elements. I had made up names for them, but they had this strange Welsh "dd" spelling suffix on them. My aunt has always been interested in my artwork and she asked why I was saying and spelling their names wrong. I asked her what she meant, and she gave me a crash course in Rroma Spiritual Language. When you took off the suffix, I had the proper names of the things I was drawing from a language I hadn't heard since I was very little, and never been exposed to those words.

That was that first "Ho s**t." moments.
wow. Mine wasn't that amazing. I could get into mine, but it's sorta confusing even to me, and I'm not sure if it's delusion or something else.
Quote:

Quote:
So, I could write them down if I ask them, yes?
Good way to go about it in my book. Maybe someone else will give you some feed back that might sound better to you.
No, that's what sounds best. It's what I wanted to do originally, I just didn't say that.  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:40 pm
Gho the Girl
It is up my alley then, and I will definitely watch the traditions. Rule of thumb about incorporating other traditions is if it's a closed or open one, yes?
Spot on!

Quote:
Wibbles?
Quote:
Teaism for "Welcome".
Wibbles, welcome. Wibble Fish, welcome back etc.

Quote:
wow. Mine wasn't that amazing. I could get into mine, but it's sorta confusing even to me, and I'm not sure if it's delusion or something else.
Better saved for Pathways.

Quote:
No, that's what sounds best. It's what I wanted to do originally, I just didn't say that.
IM in ur hed- steelinz ur thuts! blaugh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:46 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Spot on!

Quote:
Wibbles?
Quote:
Teaism for "Welcome".
Wibbles, welcome. Wibble Fish, welcome back etc.
Ah so. 3nodding
Quote:

Quote:
Better saved for Pathways.
You're right. I'll overhaul that whole thing tomorrow.
Quote:

Quote:
IM in ur hed- steelinz ur thuts! blaugh
Oh noez! gonk

Gho the Girl

`Blaise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:08 pm
Gho the Girl
`Blaise
i have a question about the Christian concept of sin.

basically, evil is the hole in the donut of reality; evil does not exist but it is real [it has no esse].

sin is the choice of evil over good, like stepping over one good to get to another [because no one intentionally chooses evil, according to Catholicism; we choose what we think is good, so in every choice we choose God, but some choices are less complete than others]

however, if YHVH is infinite, how can humans generate these holes of existence/do evil through sin? wouldn't that mean that God is being limited by humans in some fashion [like, move out, i'm creating a hole here]? or am i totally getting it hardcore wrong?

@ Shearaha: is that term you're looking for called wyrd?
I don't know where you're getting that "evil is the hole in the donut of reality" idea. From what I remember, sin is merely a transgression against God, whatever it may be. God is all things, so in a sense he is all things, both good and evil, or he's removed from morality itself. Sin is breaking God's rules, so only humans can do it, and I really don't know how that limits God.

I'm talking about the metaphysics of good and evil. Evil is not the opposite of good, but the lack of it. Creation is by its nature good; reality is good. So if reality were a donut, the hole in the middle would be evil. The hole doesn't have it's own existence, it's just a lack of donut. But the hole is real. Evil doesn't exist, but it's real. Please excuse my picturebook metaphysics XD.

And by existence, I mean esse. If one is familiar with Aquinas.

YHVH is not both good and evil. YHVH is only good. Since is evil is the lack of existence, and [by Christian standards], YHVH exists and is infinite, YHVH is infinite goodness.

Ugh, I don't even know what I'm asking anymore ]:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:38 pm
`Blaise
Gho the Girl
`Blaise
i have a question about the Christian concept of sin.

basically, evil is the hole in the donut of reality; evil does not exist but it is real [it has no esse].

sin is the choice of evil over good, like stepping over one good to get to another [because no one intentionally chooses evil, according to Catholicism; we choose what we think is good, so in every choice we choose God, but some choices are less complete than others]

however, if YHVH is infinite, how can humans generate these holes of existence/do evil through sin? wouldn't that mean that God is being limited by humans in some fashion [like, move out, i'm creating a hole here]? or am i totally getting it hardcore wrong?

@ Shearaha: is that term you're looking for called wyrd?
I don't know where you're getting that "evil is the hole in the donut of reality" idea. From what I remember, sin is merely a transgression against God, whatever it may be. God is all things, so in a sense he is all things, both good and evil, or he's removed from morality itself. Sin is breaking God's rules, so only humans can do it, and I really don't know how that limits God.

I'm talking about the metaphysics of good and evil. Evil is not the opposite of good, but the lack of it. Creation is by its nature good; reality is good.
No, creation and reality are neutral. Even in Christian standards. Creation is "good" in that it was made well, but it isn't morally "good." If it were, bad things wouldn't exist, as then you're saying "Evil things are the lack of good, and reality is good, so thusly evil things lack reality." Yet evil does exist, it is quite a part of reality, so your hypothesis doesn't quite work.
Quote:
So if reality were a donut, the hole in the middle would be evil. The hole doesn't have it's own existence, it's just a lack of donut. But the hole is real. Evil doesn't exist, but it's real. Please excuse my picturebook metaphysics XD.
Yet Evil does exist. I could freaking show you photos of it happening. I could even perform an evil act and I wouldn't pop out of reality or existance.
Quote:

And by existence, I mean esse. If one is familiar with Aquinas.
I'm not.
Quote:

YHVH is not both good and evil. YHVH is only good. Since is evil is the lack of existence, and [by Christian standards], YHVH exists and is infinite, YHVH is infinite goodness.
God is the light and the dark. The Christian Moral Code is something set down by God, sin or evil defined as going against God, and good as following the rules God set down. God's rules don't apply to God. He isn't bound by the moral code, as the moral code is defined as to our actions and thoughs in relation to God, and God cannot be in relation to himself. God by definition isn't good or evil, God simply is. There is a difference between saying "God is omnibenevolent" and "God is good." One is describing his attitude towards others, another is a general statement of moral character, which cannot be applied to God as God exists outside morality.
Quote:

Ugh, I don't even know what I'm asking anymore ]:
It seems you have these ideas Christian doctrine and theology which doesn't match up with reality or Christian doctrine.  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 pm
I think you're clining to a flawed metaphor with the Doughnut thing.
`Blaise
I'm talking about the metaphysics of good and evil. Evil is not the opposite of good, but the lack of it.
Within Christendom, this doesn't really work, because there is a schism between Willful actions such as Agape and Sin, and inaction from ignorance.
Quote:

YHVH is not both good and evil. YHVH is only good.
YHVH is "good", but that is by virtue of him being Love. It's also a huge schism between Judaism which states YHVH is the creator of both good and evil and Christendom which has Agape replace the 613 Laws.

You'll have to demonstrate your initial premise is correct- that according to Christendom, evil is merely the lack of good, and that sin and evil are synonymous, and that Christendom is panantheistic in nature.

You can do it in Judaism, but Christendom isn't Judaism.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:39 pm
I have a stupid qusetion. sweatdrop
I'm an Asatruar in training, developing an ecclectic magical system, and I honor two other personal deities. Please note that I practice all of the above seperately. Do you think there is a point where a practice must be abandoned in favor of another? Or is this not an issue as long as I don't mix my ecclectic thing with Asatru practices?  

RubyLight

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:50 am
RubyLight
I'm an Asatruar in training, developing an ecclectic magical system, and I honor two other personal deities. Please note that I practice all of the above seperately. Do you think there is a point where a practice must be abandoned in favor of another? Or is this not an issue as long as I don't mix my ecclectic thing with Asatru practices?

Holy flying carps of Corinth! I'm doing practically the exact same thing xd (but three other deities instead of two ninja )

*lurks and waits for an informed answer to the question* whee  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:22 am
Keep in mind that I'm by no means certified to give informed answers. XD

But are the gods/deities/things you worship/pay tribute to aware that you worship/pay tribute to others? If so, there might come a time where they indicate that now you must choose? *shrugs and does not know*

I do know that the Asatru are all about honouring land-wights, ancestors and gods (Gods, if they require the capital letter, I'm not so sure on the etiquette. XD; ), so they're probably used to being honoured next to others..

Beware the assumption on my part. 8D

.. You should probably wait till Deo checks in. XD;  

Maze

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:07 am
RubyLight

What you have sounds like two faiths, one that is orthodoxic (deities) and one that is orthopraxic, yes?

Unless the cosmologies conflict, I don't see an issue. (keep in mind I'm not all that authoritative, AT ALL, so I'm merely surmising).

Your deities are what you believe, but your magic is what you practice. There are plenty of Christian witches. One is what you view the intangible as, the other is how you interact and effect the world around you.

For myself, the most effect my deities have on my rituals is giving the rite their blessing. If the requirements behind the two practices conflict, you may have to reconfigure.

Do they conflict with eachother?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:23 am
Cyrus the Elder
RubyLight

Holy flying carps of Corinth! I'm doing practically the exact same thing xd (but three other deities instead of two ninja )

*lurks and waits for an informed answer to the question* whee

Last I checked, the Norse don't have an exclusive tradition the way some gods do. (I'm looking at you YHVH. stare )

So, being Asatru and having other deities isn't something I would bat an eye at- though it may depend on the deities in question.

As for the magical system- it's spelled eclectic! gonk

To be frank, this isn't too unlike Deo's thing. I mean- point to the part of the Eddas that talks about seeing auras. It's lack of presence doesn't change the fact that she sees them. ninja

I'd consider the nature of the eclecticism as usual- and if I were you I would attempt to find elements within your primary tradition that would fill the role before I would turn to other traditions- but that's because there's something to be said for consistency.

Gho the Girl

What you have sounds like two faiths, one that is orthodoxic (deities) and one that is orthopraxic, yes?
Not sure where you came to that conclusion.

Wica is about deities, but it's orthopraxic in nature and my traditions practices are orthodox in nature. wink  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 am
For what it's worth, I know bunch of Hellenic who also work with Norse deities, and Astatru who do things with Hellenic.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:57 am
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl

Not sure where you came to that conclusion.

Wica is about deities, but it's orthopraxic in nature and my traditions practices are orthodox in nature. wink
gonk I failz @ lerigion.  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 am
maenad nuri
For what it's worth, I know bunch of Hellenic who also work with Norse deities, and Astatru who do things with Hellenic.
I know a servant of Diana who is very much Asatru. 3nodding

Gho the Girl
gonk I failz @ lerigion.

Oh god... that spelling made me twitch.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items