*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
HELP! Yoga: Good or Bad? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should a Christian do Yoga if they want to?
  Yes. It's fine. Just be careful (please post why).
  No. It's bad and the Bible tells me why (please post).
  I'm not sure.
View Results

The Beautiful jewel

5,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:20 am
stickyfeet
Honestly, I don't see their point about it being bad. Before I read that, I thought of yoga as a way to stretch and relax. It seems to me, that if you think of it as that, it should be fine.

To elaborate: yoga (not capitalized like this: Yoga) is form of exercise and meditation. Christians do a form of meditation when they pray and when they read the bible.

If you want to do yoga do it. When you are meditating, pray. When you pray you are taking your mind off worldly affairs and looking inward.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:30 pm
I don't think that there's anything wrong with yoga. I don't do it myself(although I have done it before), but I know that it is very good exercise. As long as you're doing because it is good exercise it's fine. Yes, it is associated with Hinduism, but that doesn't mean that it is bad. It may have started out that way, but God can take bad things and turn them to good things. I don't think that there are really that many people who associate yoga with Hinduism. When I think of yoga I think of it as a good form of exercise.  

tigerflute

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:03 am
tigerflute
I don't think that there's anything wrong with yoga. I don't do it myself(although I have done it before), but I know that it is very good exercise. As long as you're doing because it is good exercise it's fine. Yes, it is associated with Hinduism, but that doesn't mean that it is bad. It may have started out that way, but God can take bad things and turn them to good things. I don't think that there are really that many people who associate yoga with Hinduism. When I think of yoga I think of it as a good form of exercise.
Hinduism isn't a "bad" thing though. Some principles in Hinduism or even Buddhism can be used in Christianity and are somewhat Christian concepts. Take Karma for example. Remember you reap what you sow, karma is that same basic concept. You do something wrong, something wrong will happen to you. It's a cause and effect relationship in other words. But seeing as how Hinduism is considerably older than Christianity, it does seem that Christianity took some things from the Hindus. Whereas most Christians have taken those things and perverted them to some degree.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 am
Dark Angel Rai
tigerflute
Hinduism isn't a "bad" thing though. Some principles in Hinduism or even Buddhism can be used in Christianity and are somewhat Christian concepts. Take Karma for example. Remember you reap what you sow, karma is that same basic concept. You do something wrong, something wrong will happen to you. It's a cause and effect relationship in other words. But seeing as how Hinduism is considerably older than Christianity, it does seem that Christianity took some things from the Hindus. Whereas most Christians have taken those things and perverted them to some degree.

Hinduism is bad because it involves worshiping idols(which is a sin). I am not saying that every aspect of Hinduism is wrong as I am sure some of their teaching would line up with the Bible's teaching. However, Hinduism as a whole is wrong. Where did you get the idea that Hinduism is older than Christianity? Do you think that Christianity started when Jesus came? Because this is simply not the case. Most people probably think of it that way, but in reality before it was called Christianity it was called Judaism. The people who refer to themselves as Jewish today, simply do not believe that Jesus is the person we were waiting for and that he is God's son. Therefore, Christianity is older than Hinduism(the name just got changed). As for Christianity borrowing from Hinduism it's probably the other way around, or else Hindu's came up with all of their ideas themselves(which is unlikely).  

tigerflute

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:43 pm
tigerflute
Dark Angel Rai
tigerflute

Hinduism is bad because it involves worshiping idols(which is a sin). I am not saying that every aspect of Hinduism is wrong as I am sure some of their teaching would line up with the Bible's teaching. However, Hinduism as a whole is wrong. Where did you get the idea that Hinduism is older than Christianity? Do you think that Christianity started when Jesus came? Because this is simply not the case. Most people probably think of it that way, but in reality before it was called Christianity it was called Judaism. The people who refer to themselves as Jewish today, simply do not believe that Jesus is the person we were waiting for and that he is God's son. Therefore, Christianity is older than Hinduism(the name just got changed). As for Christianity borrowing from Hinduism it's probably the other way around, or else Hindu's came up with all of their ideas themselves(which is unlikely).
Because I've studied religion. I know that the oldest religions are Druidism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism. Druidism predates Christianity. Remember Stonehenge has been around for 10,000+ years, the Druids used Stonehenge as a center for healing and rituals (notice the circular shape). Buddha or Siddharta Guatama was born some odd years before Jesus. Buddhism is an off shoot of Hinduism when it was starting off. Just like Christianity is an off shoot of Judaism. Christianity started some years AFTER Jesus died. The Council of Nicea was AFTER Jesus death also. Because of these dates of history and because of Stonehenge (being one of the ancient monuments that are still standing) can I infer that Christianity while it is only 2,000+ years in age, is a still a fairly new religion. Remember, history is your friend. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:58 am
Dark Angel Rai
tigerflute
Dark Angel Rai
tigerflute

Because I've studied religion. I know that the oldest religions are Druidism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism. Druidism predates Christianity. Remember Stonehenge has been around for 10,000+ years, the Druids used Stonehenge as a center for healing and rituals (notice the circular shape). Buddha or Siddharta Guatama was born some odd years before Jesus. Buddhism is an off shoot of Hinduism when it was starting off. Just like Christianity is an off shoot of Judaism. Christianity started some years AFTER Jesus died. The Council of Nicea was AFTER Jesus death also. Because of these dates of history and because of Stonehenge (being one of the ancient monuments that are still standing) can I infer that Christianity while it is only 2,000+ years in age, is a still a fairly new religion. Remember, history is your friend. biggrin

Christianity is way more than 2,000+ years of age. As I said before, it is the same as Judaism. If all Jewish people had believed that Jesus is the messiah, Christianity would be called Judaism. Jewish people believe that the messiah has yet to come. Christianity, formerly called Judaism, has been around since the beginning of the world. Jesus was not the beginning of Christianity. I know it's a little hard to understand but this is the case.  

tigerflute

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:42 am
tigerflute
Dark Angel Rai
tigerflute
Dark Angel Rai
tigerflute

Christianity is way more than 2,000+ years of age. As I said before, it is the same as Judaism. If all Jewish people had believed that Jesus is the messiah, Christianity would be called Judaism. Jewish people believe that the messiah has yet to come. Christianity, formerly called Judaism, has been around since the beginning of the world. Jesus was not the beginning of Christianity. I know it's a little hard to understand but this is the case.
Ummmm no you are wrong. I'm sorry hun but you need to do some research. Go to religioustolerance.org and research your religion, and all of the other ones so you have an accurate date of when Christianity came into being. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:30 am
Regardless of where Yoga originated, with Hinduism, I see no problem with it. And I am somewhat conservative!

Honestly, if you do Yoga as a way to relax, why should you feel like you are bearing false witness? It is proven that Yoga is very healthy for you! If you feel really bad about doing Yoga, listen to some worship music while doing it! :]

And, um... There is a difference between Judaism and Christianity. A minor (sarcasm) part would be that Christians accept Jesus as the Messiah, where as Jews don't accept Jesus as the Messiah.

And it has been proven, Hinduism and Judaism are around 4,000 years old. Christianity is around 2,000 years old. Buddhism is around 2,500 years old. Islam is around 1,500 year old. Just wanted you to know~

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items