Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Wicca Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:15 pm
Reijin-chan
That's what I figured. It was just a "hmm, I wonder?" hypothetical moment. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem. Thanks for the noggin-scratcher. It's a topic I should discuss with my Elders to learn more about why it might never be done!  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:24 pm
Ok Kudzu here is a question for you, according to Viviane Crowley Wicca is soft polytheistic where the God is all Gods and the Goddess is all Goddeses. Is this common in other traditions or is it her own interpertation?  

Charity.Solei

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:48 pm
Charity.Solei
Ok Kudzu here is a question for you, according to Viviane Crowley Wicca is soft polytheistic where the God is all Gods and the Goddess is all Goddeses. Is this common in other traditions or is it her own interpertation?
Not to step on Kudzu's toes- but according to G. Gardner- Wicca isn't Soft Polytheistic.

What is Viviane's Lineage? (as Kudzu holds to the position that only Lineaged Wiccans are actually Wiccans)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:32 am
TeaDidikai
Charity.Solei
Not to step on Kudzu's toes- but according to G. Gardner- Wicca isn't Soft Polytheistic.

What is Viviane's Lineage? (as Kudzu holds to the position that only Lineaged Wiccans are actually Wiccans)
As far as I know she's BTW in some fashion. I got her book recomended to me by Amber and Jet.  

Charity.Solei

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:58 am
Charity.Solei
TeaDidikai
Charity.Solei

As far as I know she's BTW in some fashion. I got her book recomended to me by Amber and Jet.
BTW? ~assumes British Trad Witchcraft~

Keep in mind, Viviane's material is not a part of Wicca any more than Cunningham's is.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:26 pm
TeaDidikai
Charity.Solei
TeaDidikai
Charity.Solei

Keep in mind, Viviane's material is not a part of Wicca any more than Cunningham's is.
BTW in this case means Brittish Traditional Wicca. Maybe it's her interpertation as to what her Coven and trad were doing.  

Charity.Solei

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:37 pm
Charity.Solei
TeaDidikai
Charity.Solei
TeaDidikai
Charity.Solei

BTW in this case means Brittish Traditional Wicca. Maybe it's her interpertation as to what her Coven and trad were doing.

I'd argue that such is an appeal to authority.

Gardner himself said Wicca was Hard Poly.

Vivian saying it isn't makes her not Wiccan.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:24 am
Thats why I wanted to question it. I thought it was hard poly, but with an author recomended by BTW wiccans with that statement seemed out of place. I feel better now.  

Charity.Solei

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:55 pm
Charity.Solei

I can't say that this belief is common in Wicca, but I can say that it has become popular in Neo-Pagan thought due to Dion Fortune's works. In fact, this question is so commonly asked that it is in my FAQ. I'll repost it here for your pleasure!

Kudzu's FAQ
Quote:
Are Wiccan's "hard polytheists?" Or do they believe in (Dion Fortune's theory) that all Gods are one God, all Goddesses are one Goddess, and/or the God and Goddess are one?

When I get this question, I defer to a quote from reagun ban that explains things more eloquently than I.
reagun ban
We all know that anyone who accepts Jesus is a Christian. That's because Christianity is an orthodoxic religion. Orthodoxic religions are those such that what you believe is what makes you a member of the religion. If you can say the Nicean crede, then you're a Catholic. Wicca, on they other hand, is orthopraxic, meaning that what you believe may well be important but how you practice is what makes you a member.
Though more about the nature of the Wiccan Goddess and God are revealed after Initiation, Wiccans are left to figure out their own concept of deity. I have known Wiccans that hold beliefs all along this spectrum, and some with beliefs that are off the map.

Charity.Solei
With an author recomended by BTW wiccans with that statement seemed out of place.

Remember also that, since Wicca is oathbound, Wiccans can not and would not recommend that you read real Wiccan material.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:42 pm
[Kudzu]
Charity.Solei

I can't say that this belief is common in Wicca, but I can say that it has become popular in Neo-Pagan thought due to Dion Fortune's works. In fact, this question is so commonly asked that it is in my FAQ. I'll repost it here for your pleasure!

Kudzu's FAQ
Quote:
Are Wiccan's "hard polytheists?" Or do they believe in (Dion Fortune's theory) that all Gods are one God, all Goddesses are one Goddess, and/or the God and Goddess are one?

When I get this question, I defer to a quote from reagun ban that explains things more eloquently than I.
reagun ban
We all know that anyone who accepts Jesus is a Christian. That's because Christianity is an orthodoxic religion. Orthodoxic religions are those such that what you believe is what makes you a member of the religion. If you can say the Nicean crede, then you're a Catholic. Wicca, on they other hand, is orthopraxic, meaning that what you believe may well be important but how you practice is what makes you a member.
Though more about the nature of the Wiccan Goddess and God are revealed after Initiation, Wiccans are left to figure out their own concept of deity. I have known Wiccans that hold beliefs all along this spectrum, and some with beliefs that are off the map.
Thats what I thought you had said before, I was just trying to clairify a few things. Still have a hard time with the MMC concept (even if it's not truely Wiccan), but oh well.
Quote:

Charity.Solei
With an author recomended by BTW wiccans with that statement seemed out of place.

Remember also that, since Wicca is oathbound, Wiccans can not and would not recommend that you read real Wiccan material.
Very true. From what she says about what iniations can do, I'm glad I'm not ready for iniation.  

Charity.Solei

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:13 pm
Charity.Solei
Still have a hard time with the MMC concept (even if it's not truely Wiccan), but oh well.

Some ideas don't work with some people.

Charity.Solei
From what she says about what iniations can do, I'm glad I'm not ready for iniation.

Indeed, the changes it can bring about in all aspects of one's life are not to be underestimated.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:07 pm
[Kudzu]
Charity.Solei
From what she says about what iniations can do, I'm glad I'm not ready for iniation.

Indeed, the changes it can bring about in all aspects of one's life are not to be underestimated.

I've heard stories from friends who went through initiation...some very major changes for people. I've had people say that it takes them about a year to reorganize and put together their life after initiation.  

Reijin-chan

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:05 pm
Reijin-chan
I've had people say that it takes them about a year to reorganize and put together their life after initiation.

Haha! At the very, very minimum!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:54 am
[Kudzu]
Reijin-chan
I've had people say that it takes them about a year to reorganize and put together their life after initiation.

Haha! At the very, very minimum!
Would likely depend on how inclined you are to mysticism as a thought pattern.  

TeaDidikai

PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces