Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Transgender Awareness Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 am
Lady Kayura
Belethiel
Sifen Yamishi
A supposed apology has been released on Facebook.
Any thoughts on that?

On Facebook? That is very, very impersonal, in my opinion. :/

That's where the outrage was. That's where people were complaining about what happened. Why would it be someplace else? The protesting was on Facebook. What better way to reach those upset than to post on the same place that they're protesting?

It's too bad that that one person referred to her as 'It'. Honestly though, I am not surprised. She picked a really stupid prank to participate in. What's the point of the prank? To freak out straight guys. This is NOT the best way to educate people.

As soon as these guys learned she was born a man, I wonder how quick they were to think things like "I'm not gay" or realize their friends would tease them and call them gay. This isn't the best mindset to explain to someone about what being transgendered really is.

I feel bad for the terminology being used, being called 'it' is pretty damn insulting. But as a transgendered person, I'd expect Carmen to know that this sort of prank was a seriously bad idea. I really can't feel that sympathetic toward her. She has to know that this is how men could react. >_< Why even put herself in a situation where it was likely that they could react like that?

So the protest was only on Facebook? Well, I'm still trying to get used to Facebook, I'm older than that thing, I didn't grow up with it. :I A protest online is something new to me.

D: They called her an "it"? That's horrible, it's kind of dehumanizing.

I agree, she did put herself at risk by participating in that prank and it wasn't the best way to educate people. I think the point of it was "It's okay to flirt with a trans person", but I think just talking about it is a better way to spread that message. A prank just unsettles the target audience.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:56 am
Belethiel
So the protest was only on Facebook? Well, I'm still trying to get used to Facebook, I'm older than that thing, I didn't grow up with it. :I A protest online is something new to me.

I agree, she did put herself at risk by participating in that prank and it wasn't the best way to educate people. I think the point of it was "It's okay to flirt with a trans person", but I think just talking about it is a better way to spread that message. A prank just unsettles the target audience.

People have been encouraged to go onto the Cake Boss's Facebook page and let them know how upset they are and demand an apology. I'm sure it is possible people called the Cake Boss via telephone or sent a letter via snail mail but in everything I've read, phone numbers and addresses weren't given out or encouraged to be used. Just sign petitions and post on their FB page. So getting a post via Facebook doesn't surprise me. How else to reach people better? Certainly not via a show that people are saying they won't watch anymore.

I was talking about this with my boything today. Something that didn't involve a prank would've raised more awareness without the negative feelings that this has created.

We agree that the point was a trans woman is just like any other woman. But the way this was executed was not the way to go. Boything told me about a transgendered documentary he's seen. That's a good way to raise awareness. Then I thought of Isis, a trans woman that was on America's Next Top Model, how she explained who she was and what her life was like. That was really educational.

I feel that this prank, while it meant no harm, has done more damage than good. sad

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:07 am
I peered over at the "Cake Boss" page this morning and there are 2 people who are urging that we cease posting on the page, telling us to forgive Buddy for what he done.

One of them piped up and said Carmen wasn't really a woman to begin with.

So they're silencing us now.
stare  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:43 am
Sifen Yamishi
I peered over at the "Cake Boss" page this morning and there are 2 people who are urging that we cease posting on the page, telling us to forgive Buddy for what he done.

stare

>_> I hate seeing crap like that. She looks like a woman (and a pretty one, too), and acts like a woman, she is a woman. I don't give a damn if she has a Y chromosome, you are what you identify yourself as because the real you is in your brain and soul, not the body. I really wish people would stop being so close minded.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:23 pm
Update:
http://www.newnownext.com/carmen-carrera-cake-boss-transgender-discrimination-exclusive/06/2012/  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:38 pm
http://www.glaad.org/blog/tlc-pulls-cake-boss-episode-after-carmen-carrera-and-her-supporters-speak-out

Episode looks like it has been pulled.
But is it really over?  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

Toker Rockett

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:42 pm
Lady Kayura
Belethiel

People have been encouraged to go onto the Cake Boss's Facebook page and let them know how upset they are and demand an apology. I'm sure it is possible people called the Cake Boss via telephone or sent a letter via snail mail but in everything I've read, phone numbers and addresses weren't given out or encouraged to be used. Just sign petitions and post on their FB page. So getting a post via Facebook doesn't surprise me. How else to reach people better? Certainly not via a show that people are saying they won't watch anymore.

I was talking about this with my boything today. Something that didn't involve a prank would've raised more awareness without the negative feelings that this has created.

We agree that the point was a trans woman is just like any other woman. But the way this was executed was not the way to go. Boything told me about a transgendered documentary he's seen. That's a good way to raise awareness. Then I thought of Isis, a trans woman that was on America's Next Top Model, how she explained who she was and what her life was like. That was really educational.

I feel that this prank, while it meant no harm, has done more damage than good. sad

They should have aired an apology before the next new one (which will air Monday). The whole online thing is great but there are people who aren't on facebook who need to know that they are sorry for what they did. The only way to reach those viewers is to apologize via the TV. People who most likely don't even know it was wrong to begin with are the ones who need that apology more than us.

The prank was tasteless but I get where she was coming from. A woman is a woman is a woman. It doesn't matter if she has a Y chromosome or not.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:43 pm
Sifen Yamishi

stare

There are cysgender women who can have a Y chromosome so what? Are they not considered women? There's a lot more to being a woman than having XX for chromosomes and to having a uterus. But yeah, I really would like to let those asshats have it.

God, people piss me the f*** off.  

Toker Rockett

3,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:27 pm
Carmen spoke up tonight on the issue:

Quote:
This whole experience has been a life learning lesson. I hope not only for me, but anyone else who thinks its ok to discriminate against the LGBT community. I am beyond happy that I had all of your support, as well as GLAAD, Huffington Post, NewNowNext, Newsweek, and my Drag Race sisters. GLAAD has made contact with TLC and received a statement from the network!!! I accept the apology from Buddy Valasco, Anthony, and TLC. Im ready to move on from this! READ & SHARE!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:44 pm
Esiris
-AvalonChristopher-
Esiris
-AvalonChristopher-
Wow, that's dumb )=
I feel so bad for her.
I HATE Cake Boss.
They give the impression that all italian people eat all the time, and talk like retards.
NO.
So shut up, you dumb Cake Boss.
I have heard that they are all actually rude people also, I despise it.
They need to stop airing it, and throwing money at those selfish people.
They don't care about other people's feelings, as long as they are rich.
I know how you feel- but if you think they're rude, and using ableism slurs (like dumb and retarded) to say that, isn't it just as bad?

Never intentionally said they were dumb, and retarded. I said the show was, and the way they talk was. There isn't really anyone named 'Cake boss' on the show XD I just don't like how they portray the whole image of them being this perfect family with this perfect little cake shop.

I just don't like people equating "bad" with intellectual and developmental impairment- it's as bad as people saying "that's gay" when they mean to say "that's bad". It has the same effect on our thought process- it creates an unconscious connection between "bad" and a group of people and that's why it's unacceptable to use slurs.

We're in a thread talking about awareness when it comes to attacking people who are different- why do that to another group when you're standing up for Trans people?

You're reading into what I said way too much dude =/
Usually, I don't even think about what I say, I just say it.
I just said that because it made me even angrier at the show, that this happened.
So Apparently people can't have a freedom of speech?
Chill, dude, chill.
Just sayin'.
rofl

-AvalonChristopher-

Profitable Lover

6,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:31 pm
-AvalonChristopher-

I just said that because it made me even angrier at the show, that this happened.
Chill, dude, chill.
Just sayin'.
rofl

"Freedom of Speech" is an amendment to the consitution that says people can say things that don't directly cause harm without the Government prohibiting it- and if you think that it's ok to slur people with disabilities, but think people who slur transwomen shouldn't do that- you're creating inequality, and are mistreating people with ID and DD while saying it isn't ok to mistreat transpeople.

Double standards like that aren't ok on Gaia- and if you don't want to see Transwomen be called "it" then maybe degrading other people by linking their disability to the people who mistreated her is a bad idea. cat_rolleyes

I'm positive that Gaia has rules against using slurs in it's TOS- and I'm pretty sure a GSA, which focuses on equality wouldn't endorse abilism, so it seems like it's only right that I point it out and it would only be right for you to check your ableism.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 pm
Esiris
-AvalonChristopher-

Chill, dude, chill.
Just sayin'.
rofl

"Freedom of Speech" is an amendment to the consitution that says people can say things that don't directly cause harm without the Government prohibiting it- and if you think that it's ok to slur people with disabilities, but think people who slur transwomen shouldn't do that- you're creating inequality, and are mistreating people with ID and DD while saying it isn't ok to mistreat transpeople.

Double standards like that aren't ok on Gaia- and if you don't want to see Transwomen be called "it" then maybe degrading other people by linking their disability to the people who mistreated her is a bad idea. cat_rolleyes

I'm positive that Gaia has rules against using slurs in it's TOS- and I'm pretty sure a GSA, which focuses on equality wouldn't endorse abilism, so it seems like it's only right that I point it out and it would only be right for you to check your ableism.

Lol, well just voicing my opinion dude.
you'll be okay emotion_c8
I am getting out of this guild if it means I can't even say how I feel about things XD
I mean what am I supposed to say? Ohhh, I'm so sorry Cake boss for calling you dumb.
So peace out dude, chill, its Gaia.
emotion_bigheart

-AvalonChristopher-

Profitable Lover

6,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 pm
-AvalonChristopher-

Lol, well just voicing my opinion dude.
So were the people who called her "it". What makes you any different when you use slurs that target people with DD and ID?

Quote:
I am getting out of this guild if it means I can't even say how I feel about things XD
Will you leave Gaia too? Since the ToS is what prohibits slurs?

Quote:
I mean what am I supposed to say? Ohhh, I'm so sorry Cake boss for calling you dumb.
I think it would be better to say something like "Dang, I didn't know that was a slur, I get it. Huh- I don't think I'll express my feelings like that again because it degrades other people". That's what I do when I mess up with privilege stuff.
Quote:

So peace out dude, chill, its Gaia.
Carmen was disrespected on FB and TLC. Why aren't you telling her to "chill", it's just FB and TLC? Double standards aren't pretty.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:56 pm
Esiris

emotion_facepalm
Lol, okay, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a slur XD
Are you FINALLYYY happy?
Dude, you have turned this into way more than it was supposed to be!
I have been on gaia for 6 years and never encountered anyone like you.
Nice one, dude, lol.

-AvalonChristopher-

Profitable Lover

6,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:01 pm
-AvalonChristopher-

Lol, okay, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a slur XD
That's how most slurs keep going. cat_3nodding
Quote:
Are you FINALLYYY happy?
Dude, you have turned this into way more than it was supposed to be!
I have been on gaia for 6 years and never encountered anyone like you.
I kind of think that's sad- I wish more people would speak out against ablism and stuff, maybe then people would really change.

With any minority rights- a lot of time is spent with people who have privilege saying that other people speaking out on that kind of thing is "unnecessary" and that it happens all the time- but when asked about what all the time looks like, it's usually maybe once every few months. Confronting our privilege is uncomfortable- believe me I know. cat_3nodding  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff