Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Local priest calls for Death Of the "gay race" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Werblergerble

2,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:29 pm
Biggotry from the Christian religon isn't based out of there bible. Not by a long shot. Most Christians I know say they and their churches follow it to the letter, but considering their bible spoke of peace, so did Jesus, at least according to the bible.

My favorite quote about this issue was from Ghandi.:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:14 am
Yoseisame
First and for most, that guy does not represent all Christians. He almost made me ashamed to be a Christian. then I remembered that I know of multiple 'gay-friendly' pastors. My mother is one of them. It all depends on the church. I know that the bible was written/translated by bigots, therefore I take some of the rules and laws with a grain of salt. God has changed laws in the past anyway (pork related laws).

Eh, no, dear. Just because Christians have picked and chose which parts of the Bible to follow doesn't mean that there is any writing to support your god having changed the laws... But by all means, do correct me if I'm mistaken on this point, as I have heard that certain articles of the Levitical Code were overturned in the New Testament.
Belethiel

Hey, that guy and other people like him do not represent all of Christianity and how Christians really are. Did you forget most of this nation is Christian, and yet a half of us (... I think. I'm probably wrong) support gay marriage?

Don't slap labels on people, please. I hate it when that happens to anybody.

I don't believe that I said much of anything about any people in that last post. I was speaking of a belief system.
Wabbajacked
Biggotry from the Christian religon isn't based out of there bible. Not by a long shot. Most Christians I know say they and their churches follow it to the letter, but considering their bible spoke of peace, so did Jesus, at least according to the bible.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I also like that quote, but you are most mistaken.
It is absolutely from the bible, but from the Old Testament. Old Testament God was most unlike Jesus. I would say that it's not going to far to call him a genocidal maniac. There was the flood to kill the members of the race of Cain, there was his instructions that Saul kill the Amalekites, down to the last woman and child, and countless other examples.
Now Christ was very different. If you were to read the Jeffersonian bible, with a few exceptions, I'm sure, what you would find is a good book to live by, but for those of you who are firm believers that God is and always was a being of peace, love, and non-violence, you must not be at all familiar with the Old Testament. I understand that much of it was overturned by the New, but you cannot discount it, as it is the framework for the entire belief system.
And that's all. I've said my piece and I won't be responsible for derailing this topic. I would discourage anyone to responding to this and I will make no further replies along this line of discussion, at least not here. If any of you wish to continue this further, I would love to do so in a topic meant for this discusion (with our captain's permission, of course) or through PMs.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:19 am
Meanwhile, at another church...

I slapped my computer screen and yelled when the congregation got up and cheered. Disgusting.

Again, keep in mind that not all churches are like this.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 am
Wabbajacked

Me gusta.  

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am
Belethiel

I slapped my computer screen and yelled when the congregation got up and cheered. Disgusting.

This reminds me of the kids singing in one of those WBC videos. Just makes you a little nauseous, and also makes you think to yourself "those poor kids never had a chance".  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:22 am
Purple Robot King
Belethiel

This reminds me of the kids singing in one of those WBC videos. Just makes you a little nauseous, and also makes you think to yourself "those poor kids never had a chance".

Yeah it does... sadly. The anti-gay stuff in churches is being exposed now, apparently, which also means people are realizing that it's wrong. I have a feeling it's going to change soon. 3nodding

More gay friendly churches are popping up. The last church I attended was interdenominational (even though it said Methodist on the sign out front) and I never heard a hateful word there. What was really cool is that the pastor was a woman, and an open-minded one. The only reason why I stopped attending is that I moved away. Even though I'm kind of agnostic, I would still come there today just because it was a nice place.

Now, the Baptist church I went to was another story. I remember that they demeaned other religions and cultures, and that bothered me. :/  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:00 pm
Belethiel

I can barely hear what the kid is saying and given his age, I don't really blame him as he probably doesn't even know what he is really singing about and just going by what he is being taught. Really sad to teach kids that and encourage them no less.

Personally, I am much happier being agnostic than I ever was went I went to church. I know each place is different and varies and each religion was different and not all places preaches hateful things, but for some reason, I never felt comfortable.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:24 pm
Belethiel
Purple Robot King
Belethiel

Yeah it does... sadly. The anti-gay stuff in churches is being exposed now, apparently, which also means people are realizing that it's wrong. I have a feeling it's going to change soon. 3nodding

More gay friendly churches are popping up. The last church I attended was interdenominational (even though it said Methodist on the sign out front) and I never heard a hateful word there. What was really cool is that the pastor was a woman, and an open-minded one. The only reason why I stopped attending is that I moved away. Even though I'm kind of agnostic, I would still come there today just because it was a nice place.

Now, the Baptist church I went to was another story. I remember that they demeaned other religions and cultures, and that bothered me. :/

Yes, there's continuous progress but it's still in a pretty rough state. One of my closest friends is a United Methodist preacher, and he recently delivered a sermon on the topic of reaching out to the gay community and making gays feel welcome and included in church. The negative attacks from his colleagues were both severe and immediate, to an extent that he found surprising. Considering that the United Methodist denomination consider themselves fairly progressive, I don't find that reaction very encouraging.  

Purple Robot Queen

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:54 am
Purple Robot King
Belethiel
Purple Robot King
Belethiel

Yes, there's continuous progress but it's still in a pretty rough state. One of my closest friends is a United Methodist preacher, and he recently delivered a sermon on the topic of reaching out to the gay community and making gays feel welcome and included in church. The negative attacks from his colleagues were both severe and immediate, to an extent that he found surprising. Considering that the United Methodist denomination consider themselves fairly progressive, I don't find that reaction very encouraging.

Uh-huh. That is discouraging, but hey, at least somebody stepped up. Hopefully more people will.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:03 pm
Ehh he can believe what he wants, if he tries to institute it...and comes just a bit too close.... well i'm a gun owner and wont go to no stinkin camp  

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

Serrenedy

Unbeatable Lover

6,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
  • 20 Wins 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:08 pm
When I saw the little kid, all I could think of was This. emo
This is a crying chame.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:15 am
Dusty-Boy
Ehh he can believe what he wants, if he tries to institute it...and comes just a bit too close.... well i'm a gun owner and wont go to no stinkin camp

Same, if it were to come to that.  

Purple Robot Queen

Elementalists

Loyal Werewolf

3,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:51 pm
we have all responede angrily but anger does not allow reason we can sit here chatting about it or we can do something about it. now the name of my group is the Lunar Dividers and most of the members including myself are gay. so what this man proses is a seroius threat to me and my team so i am asking for those of you that want to do something about this would ou consent me and my team using our powers to stop this movement in its traks? after all once I am gone tey will go after the rest of my team and that will not be good for psychics as well as normal people and smile gay ones. so will you help me and my team accomplish this end before this movement gets out of hand? we need to crush it now while we can. and or methods cannot be traced becuase there has not yet been any technology that can scan the astral planes and there never will be.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:06 pm
lilla muchi
ok not the whole south is like this alot of us 'Southerners' don't act like this or treat others like this. only the back water idiots and they are everywhere. i went north and found more there then in my home town in SC. Also alot of the preachers i know and have met personally aren't like that disgrace of a seed where the best of him clearly ran down his mamma's a** crack. so plz stop with the whole southern bit.
On the man he should be shot for such a statement. we all know where hes going after death and its not up.

so true i aould never act like that but i understand those that do its said but then again if we don't stop this then we need to crush them before this really blows up.  

Elementalists

Loyal Werewolf

3,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

lilla muchi

Beloved Shapeshifter

7,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:26 pm
Elementalists
lilla muchi
ok not the whole south is like this alot of us 'Southerners' don't act like this or treat others like this. only the back water idiots and they are everywhere. i went north and found more there then in my home town in SC. Also alot of the preachers i know and have met personally aren't like that disgrace of a seed where the best of him clearly ran down his mamma's a** crack. so plz stop with the whole southern bit.
On the man he should be shot for such a statement. we all know where hes going after death and its not up.

so true i aould never act like that but i understand those that do its said but then again if we don't stop this then we need to crush them before this really blows up.
ya we do. alot of the priests and preachers that i know are very accepting here though and most are vets and retirees. idk i just think most of its the back water people that are ignorant.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff