Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 pm
Place Holder

Insert Solo Showing Howl's Kindness.

I mean. He gave away his heart to save a falling star's life knowing he'd never be able to love. He did allow a teenage boy into his home and agreed to teach him magic after his parents had died (and no one wants you in Ingary when your parents have both died, you know). He let an old woman into his home and allowed her to ruin the look of his castle to keep her busy--there's got to be some way to write him so his kindness shines through.

Note: Might have Howl helping a spider or something. R. Doesn't think this would be a good show of kindness. It would also demonstrate his fondness for spiders.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 pm
"Sure I tend to slither and I know I'm a coward, and I'm vain; at least I'll never need reminded when I need a hair cut or whether I need to change my shirt. And I can be kind, generous, and every other virtue that exists--besides humility. You'd think they'd appreciate that," Howl was saying.

Calcifer was amused. "For someone who claims to know women like the back of his hand..." the fire demon fizzled with laughter, and the rest of the sentence was lost in an irritated sound from Howl. "Haven't you noticed that they find pleasure in picking out one's flaws?"

Howl's first response was to take on an injured expression. He knew that Calcifer knew he could play every emotion under the sun without meaning it. "Of course I know that," he said, stung. "How could I not, with Sophie as my wife?"

Calcifer smirked, for a moment resembling the frightening demon he had been before coming to Gaia. "I wonder if you'll be able to escape even that, seeing as you are no longer a man?"

"No," Howl pointed out, "because I'm still her husband."

"Which you have only recently remembered. Do you think I should tell her about your bout of forgetfulness?"

"She doesn't need another reason to yell at me. Don't. She'd never let me forget it."

"By the time you've both grown back to your original ages, she'll have run out of reasons," Calcifer fizzed.

"Quite the opposite," Howl said. "When we are back to normal, Sophie will go back to yelling at me for things that happened while we were adults, I'll bet you a log. You know, all the 'you shouldn't have turned me into a cat, Howl! I could have done fine if you had left me in the castle! I don't care if you were saving my life, Howl!' Honestly. You'd think I'd get some sympathy after being trapped in a bottle."

"You? You weren't the one with claws stuck into you."

"Count yourself as lucky. You weren't the one being forced to grant wishes so someone could challenge fate. He could have freed me numerous times! But no! I was just a daily wish in a bottle to him! Did he really think I wouldn't help once he freed me?"

"Would you have?" Calcifer raised an eyebrow. He didn't believe that Howl had overcome his fear of heights. He doubted very much indeed that the wizard would have gone out of his way to reach the castle's heights to save even thirty princesses.

"Of course I would have!" Howl snapped. "I certainly wasn't about to allow that djinn to make off with my castle, was I?"

"Or maybe," Calcifer said slyly, "you would have, if Sophie and Morgan hadn't been there."

The wizard crossed his arms. "You're forgetting that it was I who took Morgan to the castle, and so caused Sophie to follow after."

"On me."

"On you," Howl agreed with a wave of the hand. "Abdullah nearly wept when you turned back, you know. That's saying quite a bit, if you make a better carpet than you do a fire demon. I quite see his point. Flying carpets aren't sarcastic."  

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 am
In Which Howl Demonstrates His Love For Spiders

“I was talking about the way you keep dropping ladies as soon as you’ve made them love you,” she said. “Why do you do it?”

Howl pointed a shaky hand up toward the canopy of his bed. “That’s why I love spiders. ‘If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try, again.’ I keep trying,” he said with great sadness. “But I brought it on myself by making a bargain some years ago, and I know I shall never be able to love anyone properly now.”

Note to Self: Insert Solo Entry Number 30.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:29 pm
It was no surprise when Howl was asked to babysit his younger brother again; well, no surprise to everyone except Howl. He was good with Devin, and knew how to keep the toddler entertained. "Watch him," Zee said, "keep him amused while I'm gone," the dark elf was quick to notice Howl's crestfallen expression. He wondered what that was about; he'd be sure to ask once he returned. "Don't look like that, Howl. He'll be good. He's promised."

Howl kept up with the expression until his father left; he frowned until he heard the door shut with a click. He looked to his younger brother, a bright smile replacing the look he had worn only a moment ago. "Come on Devin," he said, "I have a book you'll like."

"A book?" Devin repeated, looking around. Big golden eyes searched the room with excitement. Books meant storytime. Books meant he would get a snack. He climbed onto the couch and sat next to his older brother; only to be pulled into the elder's lap. Howl took a book off the arm of the couch. It was thin and brightly colored. The title was in black lettering. "The Tale of Peter Rabbit".

"I got this at the library the other day, I've been hoping for a chance to read it to you," Howl explained. He remembered a time when he had read the same book to his son, Morgan, but he quickly shook that thought from his mind. He opened the book carefully, and after making sure Devin's eyes were glued to the illustrations, he stared to read.

"Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were-- Do you think you can guess their names, Devin?"

"Peter?" Suggested the toddler, remembering that Howl had once had a stuffed rabbit who wore a blue jacket. He hadn't seen the rabbit since his brother had grown; he silently wondered what had become of it.

"That's right. Their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail and Peter. Where do rabbits normally live, Dev?"

Devin had to think about this question for a moment. Rabbits lived in cages, everyone knew that. But where did they live when they didn't live in cages? He vaguely remembered having watched a Disney film where rabbits lived in holes. He decided this was what Howl was looking for. "Holes?"

"Right. They lived with their mother in a hole under a big tree," he said, knowing quite well that he was simplifying the story for the toddler. "'Now dears," said old Mrs. Rabbit, 'you can go into the fields or down the lane, but don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden." He paused so Devin could see the brightly illustrated picture of a mother rabbit dressed in an apron. "Your father had an accident there, he was put into a pie by Mrs. McGregor."

"Poor bunny..."

Howl briefly wondered if this story was too violent for the toddler to handle. He didn't like the idea of Devin imagining rabbits being put into pies. "'Now run along, and don't get into trouble. I'm going out." Then Mrs. Rabbit took a basket and her umbrella and went to the baker's. She brought a loaf of bread and some buns."

"Peter gonna get into trouble?" Devin asked, predictably. He knew there wouldn't be a story about Peter if he hadn't disobeyed his mother. "He gonna go in the garden," he guessed. "Gonna get a time out!"

"That's right," Howl said with a nod and a smile, "Peter's going to get into a lot of trouble." He looked back to the page they were on. "Flopsy, Mopsy and Cotton-tail were good little bunnies, and went down the lane to gather berries. But Peter, who was very naughty, ran straight to Mr. McGregor's garden and squeezed under the gate!"

"I knew it!" Devin bragged. "I knew he'd go!"

"You were right," Howl agreed. "First he ate some lettuce and some beans, and then some radishes. Then he felt sick, so he went to find something to make him feel better; but round the end of a cucumber frame, whom should he meet but Mr. McGregor! Mr. McGregor was on his hands and knees, gardening, but he jumped up and ran after Peter, yelling, 'Stop, thief!'"

"Uh-oh," Devin said. "Peter gonna get away?"

"You'll see," Howl promised. "Peter was frightened and rushed all over the garden because he had forgotten the way back to the gate. He lost one of his shoes in the cabbages, and the other in the potatoes! After losing the, he ran on four legs and went faster, so he might have gotten away altogether if he had not run into a prickle bush and got caught by the large buttons on his jacket. It was a blue jacket with brass buttons, brand new."

"Oooh. Hith Mommy'th gonna be mad if he ruin hith jacket!"

"I'm sure he was upset too," Howl said. "I would be dreadfully upset if I ruined one of mine." He grinned at his younger brother, and started to read again. "Peter gave up, and cried; but his sobs were overheard by some friendly sparrows who flew to him in excitement and told him to keep moving."

He continued to read, without noticing that Devin was slowly getting tired. The toddler's eyes were flickering open and shut like a candle does before it's ready to go out. "But Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail had bread, milk and blackberries for supper." The wizard yawned, closing the book. Only then did he realize the toddler had fallen asleep in his lap.

He gave a smile. "You know, Devi? That's a good idea." He leaned against the back of the couch, careful so Devin wouldn't be woken by his movements, and closed his eyes.

One could only imagine Zee's surprise when he caught sight of his two children, sleeping on the couch. He took the blanket off the back of the couch and draped it over the two boys. "Goodnight, you guys," he said. He took the Howl was still holding, and smiled. "So much for not wanting to babysit."  

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:45 pm
ORP Pinching Party

St. Patrick's Day ORP 2010. Howl, Sammi and Reiya are hosting. It should be great fun.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 pm
Not exactly our best work--but it was written within the confines of an hour while we were playing video games. It'll be continued when we can get together again.

Quote:
Howl had been dreading this moment. How could he expect Natalie to understand? She had never known him as anything more than a child. He couldn't expect her to understand; certainly not that he had been married in a previous life and still felt devoted to his wife. How could he expect her to believe that he had thought he'd loved her--which wasn't exactly true. Howl was known for stealing hearts of young, beautiful girls, and Natalie was no exception. Still, the wizard felt a connection to the girl he had never experienced before.

He didn't want to break her heart. He didn't want this to end up like all the other relationships that had ended in the girls' relatives coming after him with insults and rolling pins. He didn't want this to end with Natalie crying over Calcifer. Of course he wouldn't admit that he was absolutely terrified of Natalie's father. He really didn't want to see what Luke could do to his face. He did love Natalie, in a non-literal way, seeing as he had no heart. He did love her. She was his best friend.

How to tell her, though? He dialed Natalie's phone number with a sigh and a shake of the head. "She'll never believe me," he said. He waited for someone to pick up. "Could Natalie meet me in the park?"

Luke smiled as he heard Howl's question. Time to mess with him. "Of course Natty can't go to the park with you! No way, no how!" Maru grabbed the phone.

"Of course she can go! See you in a few minutes, sweetheart!"

Howl was surprised to hear Luke's voice and was about to hang up the phone when he heard Maru. "Okay, see you!" he said in a forced cheerful tone. He had a feeling Maru wouldn't be calling him sweetheart after what he was about to do. He could only hope Luke wouldn't kill him.

Maru, Luke and Natty arrived at the park. Seeing as Howl wasn't there yet, Natty ran off to play on the swings. "Aren't Natty and Howl cute together?" Maru asked.
Luke hesitated. "They are cute..." he said, but he was thinking about how long the relationship would last.

Howl finally reached the park and spotted Maru and Luke. He decided to talk to them first, to calm his nerves. "Hi Maru, Luke," he said with a smile. "How are you?"

"We're good Howl, how about you?" Maru asked, smiling. Luke even smiled too. "Enjoying your spring break?"

"I'm...okay, I guess," he didn't know what to say. How could he tell her that he was about to dump her daughter? He left them and went over to the swings. He sat on the one next to Natty. "Hey Natty? We need to talk."

Natty smiled. "Sure Howl, what's wrong? You seem sad..."

"Well..." Howl started. "You know about Sophie, right? And that I'm married... So I can't date you anymore..."

Natty frowned. "That sucks, but I understand, Howl. We can still be friends, right?" She asked, pouting slightly.

"We'll always be friends," Howl promised. "You're my best friend."

Natty smiled brightly. "You're my best friend too!" she said, hugging Howl. "And as your best friend, I expect to meet this wife of yours as soon as possible!" Natty grinned.

"You will!" Howl said with a genuine smile. "I'm sure Sophie would love to meet you!" He wasn't actually sure, to be truthful. He thought Sophie might get upset if she knew he had dated another girl.

"Yay!" Natty said, and jumped off the swing. "Hey guess what mom and dad! Howl's going to introduce me to his wife!" Maru's head whipped around, fire starting to burn in her eyes.

"His WHAT?!" She asked angrily.

Howl swore in Welsh. He hadn't expected Maru to get mad; Luke yes, Maru, no. "You know... Sophie... My wife." This only made the fire in Maru's eyes more intense. Luke looked at Maru and decided to try and difuse the bomb.

"Maru, honey, you've read the books. You've had to have seen this coming...?"

"I'm sorry..." Howl started nervously. "If I wasn't married, I'd marry her." He was trying to calm Maru down with a lie, and he knew it.

Maru started making growling noises. Luke stood up. "I'll be right back, I'm going to take her to the car."

"Thank you..." Howl muttered. He really was relieved that Luke wasn't punching his face in.

Luke locked Maru in the car and came back. "Sorry, she gets a little touchy."

-to be continued-

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:58 pm
In which a vampire meets a wizard

Howl has a feeling he's not exactly a wanted guest. He hopes he's not on the menu.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:38 pm
It was a strange day indeed, April first. It was a day when even the vainest of boys could become humble; it was a day when the most serious of people could have a sense of humor. It was a day when the manliest of men could be found wearing dresses and singing songs; which was exactly what Zee found in his living room that afternoon.

"I feel pretty, oh so pretty!" To the dark elf's disbelief, he found his oldest son spinning in the living room, his arms outstretched. What really caught him off guard was what Howl was wearing. It was one of Almie's old dresses; with a pixie skirt. It was mauve and magenta. The colors did not suit the wizard in the least. Zee had always known the boy was vain, but this...

"I feel pretty, and witty, and gay!"

Devin had come out of his bedroom. He rubbed his eyes, having just woken up from his afternoon nap. "Howl'th Gay?" he asked sleepily. "I knew it." It made sense, after all; the primping, the whining, the spending several hours in the bathroom each day, it was starting to piece together.

Zee opened his mouth to tell Devin that in all probability Howl was not gay; and that this was merely a phase. He had learned about phases from Thali; Sammi had gone through several where she had given nicknames to everyone she liked, and burnt everyone she didn't.

"And I pity any girl who isn't me today!" Howl was getting louder with every word, clearly enjoying himself. He looked over at his father and gave a bright smile. Yes, Zee had the feeling Howl was enjoying this throughly.

What had Thali said about April First? First of the month, time to get paid? No, that wasn't it. First of the month, time to get laid? No, that wasn't it either; Zee was almost certain Thali had never used such termology. Something about what the younger generation had done to the first of April. He looked to his son, who had paused in his singing to flick hair out of his eyes. Pranks. Pranks. That was it. April First was a day to pull pranks.

"I feel charming, oh so charming! It's alarming how charming I feel! And so pretty, that I can hardly believe I'm real." Here the wizard broke character and flashed Devin a grin. "Well, I've never actually felt so pretty that I wasn't able to believe in myself. I'm sure people must have trouble believing in me when they see me--because that's just how beautiful I truly am."

"He'th gay," Devin said, making his way to the couch. He climbed up onto it for a better view. "He'th gay. Poor Thophie. I gonna tell her when I thee her next."

Howl paused again, and stood in front of Devin. For the first time that afternoon, Howl frowned. "I am not gay," he said with an air of a teacher correcting a rather slow student. "I am straighter than most of Gaia is put together. Why, in my time in Ingary, I had dozens of girls..."

"He's not gay, Devin. It's April Fool's. A day you can pull pranks on people and get away with it," Zee explained with a smile. Oh, how he looked forward to pranking Stasia; though he was certain she was better at pranking than he was. He'd have to make sure he wasn't the one pranked.

"Did you have to spoil it?" Howl demanded. "Dad! I was having fun! This is the only day of the year I can cross dress and--"

Zee rose an eyebrow. "You like cross dressing?"

Howl looked horrified. "No!"  

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:01 am
In Which Howl Rants and Decides to Correct the (Highly Inaccurate) Movie

Dear Journal,

Dad's still insisting that I write in this. I suppose I should, in case anyone ever wants to write a book or make a movie about my life here on Gaia. I can't say I would be surprised if they did. There have already been several books written about me; and an extremely inaccurate movie, as well. As for me turning into a giant ugly black bird, though... Was the animator drunk when he drew that? I certainly have never made myself to look especially ugly; nor did I have a curse on me that force me to turn into a great ugly black bird; nor was there ever any war like the one depicted in the film. As far as I know, the movie was the director's pathetic rant about a certain war in a certain country; why he decided to destroy what could have been a wonderful film about my life is beyond me. Certainly he would have gotten more pubicity if he had stayed true to what actually happened.

Honestly. Pathetic attempt; and as for that Michael imposter... I would never teach a brat like that. Markl, the movie called him. No, I don't care how cute or sweet all the movie's fangirls think he is. No one gets away with impersonating my apprentice. Poor Michael. The movie turned him into a horribly ugly little boy who had no especial talent. Why was he even in my castle? Really. At least Michael was a good apprentice. So all you movie makers reading this journal entry (and I wouldn't be surprised if several of my fans were, too); make sure the movie's accurate. I'll give you a few pointers to make sure you do so. If you follow them, you will be sure to have the most incredible movie the worlds have ever seen.

Michael's name is Michael Fisher. How they got Markl out of Michael is beyond me, it seems like a horribly mangled mispronounciation. Currently he is engaged (or married, now, I haven't been to Ingary for sometime) to Martha Hatter. They plan to have ten children; Martha works at Cesari's and makes the most marvelous cakes. Michael is well, around twenty, now, I suppose. Technically he's older than me. My word, that's awkward.

Do not mix up Benjamin Suliman (who, by the way, is married to Lettie Suliman, who is not blonde and horribly ugly; but dark haired. Do not let the movie deceive you!) with Mrs. Pentstemmon, who was in fact my mentor and not at all evil. (Honestly, pathetic movie, making the king and my mentor evil...). I would curse the director, but I fear several of his fans would come after me with rolling pins.

Do not depict the Witch of the Waste as a nice, ugly old hag. Ever! I know people have this pathetic idea that all villians must be horribly hideous like the orcs in Lord of the Rings; but how can anyone in their right mind think that I would fall for someone who was absolutely hideous? I'm known for falling in love with young, beautiful girls, so logically, she must have appeared both young and beautiful. And what's worse. The movie showed her as being nice. She was not nice! She was the opposite of nice to the extreme! She tried to take my head so she could finish a puppet; and she wanted to force me to obey by controlling poor Calcifer. Then her fire-demon (by the way, the movie never mentions her fire-demon) tried to take my heart because I killed the witch. I killed the witch. She's dead! There's no wrinkly old lady in my castle--well, except Sophie, but I knew she was under a curse.

Speaking of my castle. What was with that nonsense with it walking around with chicken feet? Did the director even read the book? My castle doesn't walk. It floats, a few inches off the ground, like a huge hover craft. And as for it looking like a garbage heap... No. My castle may have been made to be imitading--but I did not make it look like that. It looks like a castle with shiny black stone and towers. Calcifer would have never let me get away with making it look so much like a--oh, here's Calcifer now. He's upset because the movie depicted him as a cute little flame. He would like to inform future movie makers that he is an all powerful fire-demon and does not appreciate being drawn as, and I quote, "Cute, adorable, cuddly, or any of those disgusting things girls use to describe me." I should mention that he fizzed each word as if they were a Welsh swear word; and believe me, he knows quite a few of those.

I don't know. I wouldn't mind being described as any of those things.

Anyway. Back to how your future movie should be. Don't have Sophie as a plain, ugly, brown haired, brown eyed girl. She's not plain. She tells herself that; but she really is quite lovely. She has these wonderful blue green eyes, and red-gold hair; blue dresses set it off quite nicely. She is by far the most beautiful of her sisters; and the smartest.She is most beautiful when she smiles. Don't tell her I said that; she'd never stop teasing me. I can't be caught complimenting her now.

Have the movie include Wales. Wales is a rather large part of my life, you see--seeing as I originally come from there. You do not have to to include Megan. Sophie does not get along with her; but do try to have Mari and Neil. They are--well, Mari is, anyway, kind people and deserving of at least one scene in the movie about my life. If you do not include Wales, you are missing about half the important things in my life. If you do not include Wales, you are absolutely the worst director I have ever had the chance to write to. (And I'm sure I'll have the chance to write to several. I intend to be quite famous before gray tints my hair. (Not that it ever will.)

I will write more another time, journal. I have many other suggestions for future film makers who desire to make a movie about my life. These are only a few; but another time, we will amend every mistake past movie makers have made.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 pm
Dear journal,

Dad told me that I should write about my meeting with Sophie's father guardian. I think he's interested because Mr. de Launey's a vampire or something. He was a little cautious about coming to dinner; but I can hardly blame him. From what we'd heard, the de Launey's were frighteningly rich, to the extent of being nearly royalty; and from what I've seen, they are even more frightening than what's said.

Mr. de Launey appeared nice enough towards Sophie; so much that she seems to be content there. He wasn't so much when it came to me. I cannot imagine what I'd done to upset him. I did attempt to keep to the manners taught to me while in Wales. Still, my very presence seemed to displease him. Perhaps he has a general dislike of humans. He seemed alright with Devin; but then, Devin's hard to disagree with. I was certain I would be on the menu before the end of the evening. Or perhaps Sophie has gone about his castle spreading lies about me and thus he base his dislike.

...But would Sophie do that? How cruel! I simply do not see Sophie trying to convince a vampire that I would make a good meal. I'm certain she would miss me if I ever died--at least, I know I'd miss her, if she did. She really must let me die before she does. I don't know what I'd do without her. I was barely able to stand being apart from her for a few months. The months before my memory lapse were horrible. I was too young to do anything about it--so I searched. I searched for Sophie and Morgan every chance I got. I was willing to do anything to get back to them; even fight the Witch again.

Maybe... Maybe Sophie's upset with me because of the memory loss. Maybe that's why Adrian seems to dislike me. Sophie must have told him something awful. I couldn't help it, journal. A nice woman at the library told me that it was because of the emotional stress I'd caused myself by becoming upset that I couldn't find Sophie. She said my mind couldn't deal with an adult's memories and so it decided to protect itself by sealing certain memories off or something. It made more sense when she said it.

I shall have to ask Dad to talk to Sophie's guardian. Maybe he can find out why he dislikes me so much. Maybe they can swap stories; and that way I can learn more about what Sophie's been doing there.

Howl  

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:37 am
It was a scrap piece of paper Zee had found; well, it hadn't been scrap before it'd been crumpled a few times and thrown to the floor. It had been carefully edged in gold. Being the curious parent he was (and also a paranoid one; what if Howl was writing to spies?), he uncrumpled it and flattened it out on the desk. The name the letter was addressed to had been crossed out so many times that the dark elf had a feeling he knew exactly who it was for. After all, who was the girl Howl couldn't go a day without mentioning?

Your eyes are like diamonds. They shine so brilliantly. Your hair, once fiery like the sun, is now silver like the moon and stars.

Zee snorted. A love letter? Really? A part of him wanted to see the finished product if only to tease his son. Still, a letter declaring affections seemed like something the wizard he'd read about in the books would not resort to. Unless he was courting a girl. Howl had apparently found this part of the letter to be poorly written (and Zee agreed with him, having had written several of these himself). He continued to read;

My lasting love and devotion are yours.

Another snort. Zee knew, as did anyone who read the books; that Howl was in all probability, heartless. Oh, he had no doubt that the wizard still felt strong affection for his wife; but love. That was too much. And as for devotion--Howl had shown very little of this. Then again, he had no heart. Zee knew, as all those who had read the books did, that once Howl had gotten his heart back, he had been devoted. This too, had been struck out. Zee began to wonder why his son was trying so hard to compliment his wife. Had he done something to upset her? Did he want something?

I hold you in highest affections. I never go a day without thinking of you.

Now that was more truthful, Zee thought. Howl never did go a day without mentioning Sophie at least once. How beautiful she was, how intelligent, how bossy, nosy and clean she was. It didn't take a psychologist to figure that Howl's insults towards his wife were out of affection.

You may be the oldest of three, you're also the luckiest out of your sisters. You married me.

Zee chuckled; it seemed even when Howl was attempting to please his wife, he couldn't resist being vain. Zee also found it quite amusing that his son had crossed this statement out, but only in the lightest of pencil; unlike the others, which had been struck out in pen. Howl must have believed there was some truth to this one. That or he was too vain to strike something out that complimented him.

You are also the most lovely of the three. Lettie does not even come close to your beauty. You are by far the most intelligent. I really was lucky that you decided to come to my castle--even if you did make us all miserable for sometime.

Zee was even more amused. Yes, he supposed Howl had every right to tell Sophie she was lovelier than Lettie; he had, after all, courted her for sometime. Still; what could Howl want that was causing all these compliments? 'Get to the point, Howl,' he thought. The letter seemed to obey him; or it would have, had the paragraph following not already been there.

I regret to say I must ask a small favor of you. It is miniscule in comparison to my adoration for you. This favor will let us lead a life of happily ever after once more.

The letter went on, though Zee had stopped reading. He knew what Howl desired at last. He wanted Sophie to get his heart back for him. He supposed that was worth every compliment Howl had given her; he wanted a happily ever after with his wife. No, he wanted the happily ever after that had been stolen from them back. Typical fairytale. Zee couldn't blame him, really. He knew he would have liked a happily ever after with Stasia, if happily ever afters existed. If they did, he knew it was bound to be even more difficult than Sophie and Howl's.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:54 pm
Quote:
After weeks of convincing, whining, and pestering, Howl had finally managed to get his father to agree to travel to (lord, that's a lot of to's) Wales. "Wales? Why would we go to Wales?" Zee would ask each time his son brought it up. The dark elf knew Howl had family there; but they boy hadn't seemed to want to see them. In fact, Zee had never even heard Howl mention them, except small mutterings of how people sounded like Megan, whoever that was.

"I told you, I need to find the portal to Ingary through Wales, and bring Morgan back with me," Howl explained. "I'll come back, really. I can't leave Sophie to live on Gaia alone. She wouldn't be able to manage it without me." And so it was settled. They would go to Wales.

In Wales, a certain woman with hair that was slightly more brown than red was enjoying her day, delighting in the the fact that her husband was at work, her children were at school, and her annoying brother was nowhere to be found.

Actually, that last fact bothered her a bit more than she liked to admit. She couldn't quite shake the feeling that something was very, very wrong with her brother.

Howl was presently leading his father, who was decently disguised due to Howl's talent with a certain branch of magic, to a certain house. "I used to live here," Howl explained, pointing to the house. Zee wondered at this. It wasn't a large house; but it seemed nice enough. It was called Rivendell, or so the sign read above the door.

"I thought we were going to look for the portal," Zee muttered. He thought it was unlikely that Howl would leave the portal in such an ordinary place

"We are," promised Howl, knocking on the door. "But first I have to talk to Megan. See--I don't remember much that happened here. I'm sure she's worried--I think she likes me." Zee didn't feel he could agree, from what he'd read about Megan. She seemed to dislike her brother with a passion--if not hate.

Megan looked up from the book she was reading upon hearing the knock at the door. Getting up with book in hand - a cookbook, because Gareth hadn't liked her last pot roast - she opened the door to a small blonde child and what she presumed was his father.

"Yes?"

Howl smiled when Megan opened the door. "Hello, Megan," he said. "Can we come in? Gareth's not home, is he?" he looked around, almost cautiously. Zee had to wonder at that. Howl had never mentioned Gareth to him.

Megan blinked. "He's not here, but. . . who are you? If you're selling something, I can already tell you the answer is no. I have enough troubles helping my own children with their fundraising projects, thank you."

Howl's smile widened. "Oh, I'm not selling anything," he assured her. He answered her question in Welsh, " 'm enwa ydy Howell Jenkins. Gwisga t adwaenoch 'm?" Zee understood that to mean 'My name is Howell Jenkins, don't you recognize me?' He sighed. He knew Megan didn't know anything of the world Howl lived in. "Can we come in?"

Megan frowned, a sour expression crossing her tired face, and she scrubbed at her eyes.
"Are they teaching pranks at primary now? You can't expect me to believe you!"

Howl sighed. He should have known his sister wouldn't believe him. "I might be pulling a prank yes. But would that explain how I know that your brother's been missing for months? That he hasn't contacted you at all when he's usually popping up all the time?"

Megan rolled her eyes. "Oh, that's easy enough to explain. He's off in some country or other again." The woman grumbled and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her left ear. "Like him, too, not to give so much as a WORD when he has family thinking he's dead!"

Another sigh escaped the minature wizard. "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you where I've been," he muttered. Aloud he said, "Very well. If you believe me to be lying, and there's no way I can prove to you that I'm not--I shall leave."

A frustrated sigh escaped the woman in the doorway, and she opened the door wider. "Just... come get a drink before you leave."

Howl raised an eyebrow. Was there some chance she believed him after all? He walked into the house without a second glance. He already knew the place by heart. "Thank you," he said. "My father will wait outside--he's not very comfortable coming into people's houses." Zee nodded, and went to sit in his car.

Megan tilted her head. "If you're sure, then."

Howl sat on the couch, looking at Megan. "Do you think we can talk, too?" he asked. "I've traveled a very long way--almost that it seems like we've come from another world to talk to you."

"I suppose," Megan said irritatedly. "But what would you want to talk about?"

"I already told you. I'm Howell. Your brother--when you admit you have one," Howl muttered. "I can't prove to you that I'm me--but look at me. I look very much like I did, except for the eyes."

Megan shook her head. "You're MUCH too young to be Howell! Much! Why do you keep insisting that you are?"

Howl folded his hands in his lap, and leaned forward. "You don't believe me--but then, you never listened to me. I am currently married to Sophie Hatter, who happens to have the same name as my former cleaning lately, and my son's name is Morgan. Do you believe in second chances, Megan?"

Megan snorted. "If I did I wouldn't be stuck where I am now."

Howl paused, and frowned slightly. "Well. I had my second chance, because here I am. You don't have to believe me--you can believe I'm my own son if you like." He sneezed suddenly. "I always get sick in Wales..." he complained.

The weary-looking woman blinked and fought a smile. "Well now, that[/[] sounds like my brother," she said, and got up to grab a few cookies for the child sitting on her couch.

"It should, I'm me," Howl muttered, sneezing again. Stupid Wales weather, it always messed with him. "And Megan? I like snickerdoodles still. I hope you have them."

"Of course you do," Megan said, grabbing snickerdoodle cookies and preparing some hot tea, which she sat down in front of the blond child. "There, drink your tea."

Howl blinked at her for a moment. "You believe me?" he asked, astonished. He took a sip of tea, and made a face. "You always forget the honey."

Megan bit back a laugh, "Well I do now," she said, and poured the honey into the tea. "Don't bother trying to explain this second chance to me, I won't believe a word of it, but I can tell my brother's in there somewhere."

Howl was genuinely surprised. He took a sip of tea and gave his sister a smile. "Mari and Neil at school?" he guessed. "Aren't you going to tell me how much of a bum I am for ending up like this instead of getting a respectable job?"

"No, because bums don't turn INTO children, they just never grow up," Megan said with a smirk.

Howl frowned slightly. "I did so grow up," he protested with a cough. "Haven't you guessed by now that I must be fairly well off to visit you as often as I do if I do live abroad?"

"No, it just means you're not tied down," Megan said, rolling her eyes.

"But I'm married," Howl pointed out. "I wouldn't consider marriage being tied down, though... Even if Sophie does remind me a great deal of you."

Megan blinked and tilted her head. "I am nothing like your wife - if indeed she even counts as a wife at this age!"

"You're exactly like her," Howl said, taking another sip of his tea. "Nosy, noisy, and grumpy," he paused, before adding, "not to mention a mean, cold-hearted, bully."

Keep saying things like that and I'll wash your mouth out with soap," Megan said crossly. "Don't think I can't."

Howl shrugged. "I haven't said anything untrue, which is unusual for me, as you know. I haven't sworn, so you have no reason to poison me with soap."

"Rude things should be added to the wash-out list anyway," Megan said grumpily.

Howl didn't think things should be considered rude if they were true. "I can't help it. I grew up with you, I was bound to pick up some of your behavior.

Thinking the child in front of her was being silly, Megan bopped him over the head with a cookie. "You most certainly did NOT learn that from me, silly boy!"

Unfortunately for Megan, Howl believed himself to be quite serious. "Oh, I did. Or maybe I learned them from Gareth."

"Don't say his name," Megan said quietly. "I'd rather not bring him up right now."

Howl stared at her, genuinely puzzled. "What?" he asked. "Why? Why not? Did you two have a fight?" He sounded almost hopeful.

"No, it's not that," the woman said, before taking a breath and pausing. "It's not that at all, I'd just rather not discuss him."

Howl leaned closer, putting his untouched cookie on his lap. "What happened, Megan? I don't remember a time where you didn't want to talk about him. He's your life--the only thing you seem to care about."

"People change," Megan said, shrugging. "We'll worry about that later. Now, why exactly did you decide to come for a visit?"

"Am I not allowed to miss you? I'd ask you to give me my books back, but I know you sold them." Howl said, before taking another sip of his now cold tea. "Actually, I came to fetch Morgan."

Megan had the grace to blush and attempted to subtly conceal the book she held in her hand. "Of course you did."

Howl didn't see the book, but he was quick enough to decide Megan didn't believe him. "See, he wasn't with Sophie when she came to join me--and I was hoping I could find him around here."

"Well he's not here," Megan said, accidentally losing her grip on the book, which fell to the ground with a thump.

Howl bent down to pick the book up, eyes widening when he saw the title. "You saw their worth and bought them back?" he guessed. "Enough of an investment to waste money on?"

"I never sold them," Megan admitted sheepishly. "I just. . . Gareth wanted them gone. I'm not sure where they've been but I found them."

Howl stared at her for a long disbelieving moment. "So that's where I get my dishonesty. I couldn't remember when I'd picked it up."

Well," Megan said slowly, "Some things DO run in families."

"Megan," Howl began, setting his cup of tea down on the coffee table. "Tell me about when we were children. I still haven't regained much of my memory."

"There's not much to say," Megan replied, shrugging.

"If there wasn't, it wouldn't bother me that I didn't remember it," Howl retorted. "There's something I'm missing. Help me find it?"

"No," Megan said. "It's safer that way."

Howl frowned. "Megan! It's my past too. Won't you share it with me? Oh, but I forgot. We never did get along, did we?"

"We did once, but that was all."

Howl's eyes widened. He clearly hadn't expected that. "Tell me more!" he demanded. "When? I remember fighting."

"What does it matter?" Megan asked, standing up with what was left of the tea set. "That time came to an end, and that's all there is to it. Now you had better go before Gareth comes home."

"Gareth doesn't come home for another hour," Howl told her, pointing to the clock. "And it matters--maybe we can try again. Second chance? Maybe even Sophie will begin to like you--if you don't try telling her I'll be leaving her soon everytime you see her."

Megan rolled her eyes. "I didn't say that every time."

"Maybe not. Often enough that I thought she would start doubting me," Howl said. "Now tell me about our childhood--before I hit teen, preferably."

Megan shook her head and said, "There's not much to say about it." She put the tea service away and sighed. "Our parents weren't around, I raised you, end of story."

Howl sighed. "If you say so," he muttered. "I suppose I'll have to believe you--I don't remember enough to argue with you."

"There's no point in telling you the rest," Megan said, handing Howl a cookie as the phone rang. She walked over and picked it up. "You're getting off work early, Gareth? That's. . . wonderful," she said, though she sounded anything but pleased.

Though Megan said there was no point, Howl couldn't help but want to know the rest. He wanted to know what had happened, he wanted to know what had caused them to fight--he wanted to know--he felt like he was starting to sound like Sophie. "Gareth's coming home early?" He asked, his expression darkening.

Megan hung up the phone, her expression darkening to match Howl's. "Yes. He'll be here in a few minutes," she said quietly. "You need to get out of here. You know how he feels about you and your family."

Howl shrugged. "Tell him I'm a friend of Mari's and my mother asked you to babysit because I'm sick or something." He coughed into his teacup. "It's half true."

Megan shook her head. "No. Mari hasn't had friends over for months, that won't work."

Howl frowned slightly. "I'll go then. I have to find the portal to Ingary anyway," he said, not realizing he'd slipped up. "Hope to see you soon--but I won't, you know." He moved towards the door.

Megan sighed a little and turned to go into the other room. "I know Howell, I know," she said quietly, her head down.

[FIN]

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:55 pm
As she had feared, the hard black-and-white daylight coming through the broken wall showed her that Howl had not bothered to shave or tidy his hair. His eyes were still red-rimmed and his black sleeves were torn in several places. There was not much to choose between Howl and the scarecrow. Oh, dear! Sophie thought. He must love Miss Angorian very much.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:59 pm
“Well, he’s fickle, careless, selfish, and hysterical,” she said. “Half the time I think he doesn’t care what happens to anyone as long as he’s all right-but then I find out how awfully kind he’s been to someone. Then I think he’s kind just when it suits him-only then I find out he undercharges poor people. I don’t know, Your Majesty. He’s a mess.”

"A mess?" Howl wondered aloud, holding open his book. He was sitting on his bed, facing the window over it. "Because I--" He hesitated, and closed the book before Sophie or the king could continue speaking their minds about him. He had read--and listened up to chapter thirteen, which, admittedly, was not one of his favorite chapters. "Because I--"

"Because," a voice started from behind him, from the direction of the door, "you are an unprincipaled, lazy, slippery wizard whom no man--or elf can tie down." Howl looked up to see his father, and smiled. "Not even long enough to get you to clean your room," the dark elf added. "You know how your mother feels about spiders, and I'm not going to clean it for you." Though his tone and expression were light, Howl knew his father meant business. Time for a distraction.

"I can't help it!" wailed Howl. "I no longer have a cleaning lady and I have never been good at cleaning." His expression was so pitiful that Zee might have fallen for it--if he hadn't had read the books and known that Howl had the ability to be depressed in Heaven if it suited him. "My room will have to remain as it is."

Zee glanced around the room. It was filthy, quite literally. There was at least an inch of dust on the floor, despite how many times anyone walked on it. The ceiling was practically covered with spider webs, cobwebs, and not to mention spiders themselves. The shelves were littered with a great number of books, some of which appeared to be in a language Zee had never seen. It wasn't Welsh, that much he knew.

Toys, dolls, and used spells filled the surface of the writing desk Zee had provided Howl with that it no longer seemed usable. Same with the chair, which seemed to be littered with pictures of girls. Old pens and crumpled up pieces of paper had missed the trash and were scattered around the room; under the desk, around the chair, on Howl's bed. The place was a disgrace.

"This has to be the dirtiest place I've ever been in," observed the elf, using one of Sophie's lines.

"I want it dirty," Howl told him earnestly.

"You probably make it worse everyday with those spells," Zee accused him. Howl's silence was enough of a confession.

"You must admit that I have a right to live in a pigsty if I want," Howl argued.

Zee muttered something to the effect of if Howl wanted to remain in his house, he didn't have such a right. Howl of course, ignored this. "Mom doesn't have to see my room," he told his father. "If I'm the only one who sees it; and I prefer it messy, why should I have to clean it?"

"Sophie's right you know," Zee said, without hesitation. "You are a mess."  

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 am
ORP

Howl meets a witch--and some other people, too.  
Journals and Diaries

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff