Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Foods of your culture? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RubyLight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:55 am
I live in Michigan, United States. Some regional foods are:
Kogel Vienna Hotdogs
Verners (Its a sort of fake ginger ale that is very popular here. It is commonly used to setttle stomach aches and what not. The funny thing is that it actually works. blaugh )
Faygo Soda
local fruit (especially Traverse City Cherries!!!)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:46 pm
A I J I N Incubus
Sleeping Doll

And to the disgust of my dad, I've acquired a taste of natto and umeboshi (both Japanese foods that my dad can't stand) and I've almost insisted on eating them at the dinner table at least twice a week. Oh well blaugh
User Image

I applaud you for being able to stand natto. That stuff is putrid in my opinion XD! The consistency is soo... gooey and it gets stuck to my mouth. However, I ALWAYS eat it when it's served. You know, common courtesy ^__^;.

But I like umeboshi as well. Though, they can get a little sour sometimes. Do you eat them straight or in your onigiri?

-is such a nerd for Japanese cuisine-

User Image

Oh, but natto is so addicting to me XD;;

I usually eat umeboshi in onigiri, but sometimes I'll just eat them with plain white rice. great for dieting actually since the rice fills you up and that tiny bit of flavor in 2-3 of the umeboshi is enough XD;

Sleeping Doll

Bellalisa

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:36 am
Hmm... do you mean my "born" culture (because i'm mostly white, with a little asian, but the asian part isn't backed by culture, since we know no one from that side), because i've been heavily spanish influenced (not Spain spanish, Caribbean Spanish) due to the roomates my mommy has had when I was younger.

But by born:
Pasta, lots of different sauces, sausage, and alot of fish, and breads due to my Sicilian heritage.

Sicilian culture is quite beautiful since it is traditionaly so cosmopolitan. 3nodding It has mainland Italian, Spanish, and even some Muslium influences since it was a valued port and located in the Medditerianian. (sp?)

In all:
Alot of Caribbean food, espiecially spanish. Alot of rice, black beans, Cuban pork, and pastellies (sp?). I love black bean juice on my white rice dramallama

Fried chicken: True Americana! heart Honestly, its been around for like 300 years!

Fried Green Tomatoes (i'm southern, but the rest of my family isn't, but my mother LOVES southern food. The funny thing is is that alot of people think i'm from Washington or Seattle xd )

That's about it  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:03 pm
...hmmmmm...

Plain and simple bread...

really, a fresh bread is the best you can get for breakfast...

...strange the simple ingredients always taste good here, but german kitchen is the hell...  

Verderbnis
Crew

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:20 pm
Verderbnis
...hmmmmm...

Plain and simple bread...

really, a fresh bread is the best you can get for breakfast...

...strange the simple ingredients always taste good here, but german kitchen is the hell...

Have you ever had 'German Chocolate Cake'?

Picture

We make that here in the south, but i dont think its actually a German recipe.  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:59 pm
>_>

<_<

Except maybe for the bakery german kitchen is a mess...  

Verderbnis
Crew

p934

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:07 am
User Image
أسْمِي نويل
* What does your culture make?
Hm...

Bread (in my completely objective opinion the best variation on pita bread) with hummous (mashed chick peas) or babaghanoush (eggplant & chick peas and other stuff mashed up).

Also falafel, which would generally be made with fava beans, but sometimes I make them with chick peas. Kushari, which is beans, rice, and pasta with tomato sauce...it's much better than it sounds, I swear.

Hm...what else... baklawa, kabobs (usually lamb), stuffed grape leaves, shawerma (shaved meat in a sandwich, kind of like gyro I guess)...a lot of foods that are popular in other parts of the Mediterranean and middle east.

* What other regional food you like/dislike?
I love a lot of foods... I like at least part of pretty much any Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian cuisine. I also like French, Italian, Mexican, and Peruvian food.

The only food I tend to dislike is the exact type of food described in the OP. Sorry!!! sweatdrop Maybe I'm just scarred... I lived in Georgia for a few years, and within the week of my arrival someone decided to take me to a pork pit barbecue place. I had to eat a bunch of side dishes, and they were terrible, so now I'm traumatized or something.

Some southern deserts are good, though. 3nodding
الّسَلامُ عَلِيْكُم

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 am
p934
User Image
أسْمِي نويل
Hm...

Bread (in my completely objective opinion the best variation on pita bread) with hummous (mashed chick peas) ... Also falafel, which would generally be made with fava beans, but sometimes I make them with chick peas ... Hm...what else... baklawa, kabobs (usually lamb), stuffed grape leaves, shawerma (shaved meat in a sandwich, kind of like gyro I guess)...a lot of foods that are popular in other parts of the Mediterranean and middle east.
الّسَلامُ عَلِيْكُم

Surprisingly, it’s just the same with the Israeli cuisine. wink
But at home we usually make typical Ashkenazi dishes (which are highly influenced by the Eastern European cuisine), such as chicken soup, kneidlach, Borscht, Kugel, Latkes, and generally tones of potatoes in almost every possible state and cabbage. razz

I absolutely love the Italian, Hungarian and Eastern European cuisines.  

Einllikoach
Crew

tiramisukitty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:43 pm
Well, traditional Sri Lankan foods are mainly curries. We have the hotest curries in the world apparently. Beef, pork, fish, chicken, lamb, lentil, potato, etc. Those and sambols and chutnies.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:32 pm
I'm half salvadorian (from El Salvador, C.A.) The most famous salvadorian food is pupusas; they are delicious 3nodding  

lPANICl

LadyLoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:57 pm
Around here we have a lot of simple dishes, the most famous one is propably meatballs (not to be confused with the italian sort) and mashed potato. Besides that we make a lot of food that contains moose/reindeer meat or fish (especially salmon).

* What other regional food you like/dislike?

Kams: A very local dish in Sweden, in fact there is only a few places in sweden where they make it and is there for pretty much unkown. Anyway... It's basicly pork that have been cooked in a very special way and is served with potatos, butter, "messmör" (coldn't find a translattion) and sweet cheese.

Tjärknul (tjälaknöl): It's a a special part of moose meat that is prepared in the oven over the night and is served the next day when it's gotten a bit colder.

Dried reindeermeat: Obvius isn't it?

Surströmming: Both a loved and hated dish here in sweden. It's fish that smells like it's rotten and that's also the reason to why it can only been eaten during summers when the weather allows you to eat outdoors.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:15 pm
Bellalisa

Sicilian culture is quite beautiful since it is traditionaly so cosmopolitan. 3nodding It has mainland Italian, Spanish, and even some Muslium influences since it was a valued port and located in the Medditerianian. (sp?)

Ooooh, Sicily, land of culture, sea and wonderful dishes... for someone like me, born and raised in Northern Italy, it's like heaven. I've tried a tuna and citrus fruits paste that was absolutely F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!! And arancini... fish... the Parmigiana of aubergines... tha cassata... oh, God! *ç*

However, I wasn't here to praise highly the Sicilian cousine, but to talk about MY region's typical food, so let's start with Friuli Venezia Giulia's cooking: northern region = heavy, high calorie food!

- Polenta: maize flour cooked in salted water to accompany various foods or with various dressings;
- Beef stew;
- Frico: boiled potatoes smashed and fried with loads, load of cheese;
- Brovada: soup made with turnips under marc stewed with meats;
- Jota: sauerkraut sing, beans and potatoes soup;
- Musèt: large boiled pork sausage [usually served with brovada or lentils];
- Gnocchi made of bread;
- Gnocchi with jam;
- Gnocchi of plums;
- Boreto a la Graisana: fish broth;
- Gubana: spiral leavened pastry filled with nuts, raisins, pine kernels, sugar, liquor, lemon rind, typical of the Natisone Valleys.
- Presnitz: flaky pastry filled with nuts, almonds, pine kernels, figs, plums, apricots, raisins, chocolate, sugar, spout, cloves and rum, the Presnitz was created for the visit of Princess/Empress of Austria Elizabeth 'Sissi' to Trieste;
- Putizza: leavened pastry similar to Gubana but with a filling more similar to Presnitz;
- Fave Triestine: small pastries made with almonds, eggs and Marashino liquor.

Other than these, there are loads of dishes made with beans, potatoes, maize, beef and pork beef. Oh, and we have some of the most delicious cured hams in the World!
Least but not last, the wines: lots of areas of this region are well renowned as wine production areas, so we can choose first-rate wines at low prices [and, believe me, we are all well-accustomed to wines]!
I LOVE my region's cuisine!! heart  

Shiratori-chan

Vicious Shapeshifter

14,400 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
The World Mosaic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash