Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King_me_Macabre

5,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:39 pm
Dumbledore's a good person, he put haryr with the durseleys, becaus eht hought they would be godo to them, but instead they weren't but harry could also take care of him bloody self, like who he runs awya in the third book, dumbledore's a good person.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:30 am
This was a great discussion. Like, wow. but like Harry said, "I'm Dumbledores man, through and through."

They show Dumbledore in Harrys veiw, as a perfect being who could do no wrong and would always be right and the hero. but Harrys the hero of the book, Dumbledore is just a guide, who knows more and helps Harry towards his [[possible]] conquest of Voldemort.

As perfect as Dumbledore seems [[to Harry at least]] hes still a human [[even if he IS a wizard]] and we DO make mistakes. Dumbledore explains it himself, he though Harry was too young at the time. "An old fools mistake."

We know this, dont we? Dumbledore states his reasons for everything.

[[I too would argue more if I were more awake, aware, and had all my books with me]]  

KitsuneTsuki

EdanaDesmond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:01 pm
i see what ur talking about i can understand that yes Dumbly doesn't alwsy now what he is talking abut . Like if i was in harry's place i would want to no every damn little thing down to the very last T to the very last dotted I.So in not telling Harry a few people might still be alive today 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:40 pm
All of you seem to support Dumbledore for the most part.I however,am half and half.

SPOILER!!

Dumbledore has always appeared to me as being,a goody goody. While he is a great wizard and highly respected,I have always wondered,what did he do to make him so great?Wow,he runs Hogwarts as the best headmaster.In the 6th book,---read white text for this is a spoiler-->
He drinks the potion,and his attitude,I just dont think Dumbledore like that.I thought he was much stronger than portrayed.Though hard to believe,I was kinda of happy when Snape killed Dumbledore,though I dont really understand why.Dumbledore kept Harry safe,but he often hid things from him.Yet,Harry still had alot he needed to learn from Dumbledore,so I am sure that J.K. has something things in store for us in the seventh installment.  

Goddess of the World

Roland the great

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:46 pm
ok now i believe dumbledore is the greatest wizard ever born. he has looked after for harry''s entire life and without dumbledore harry wouldn''t have made it this far. the half truths harry is to reckless to know everything all the time. i think that any doubts about dumbledore are foolish( no offense to any one) and groundless.
User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:04 pm
I''d like to point out that my entire first arguement, in the beginning of this thread, and really most of the main debate was typed before HBP. I still hold with most of what I said, and I''d love to continue the debate, but not until I''m home again. So... two weeks or so.  

Empress_Kat
Crew

Empress_Kat
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 am
It's bad of me to bring this back up, but...

I was right! Ha!

Um, yes. That will be all.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:02 pm
I have to agree with you on some parts of your argument about Dumbledore. I don't think that he should have held back as much of info and he did from Harry. I really think that he should have told Harry everything. The only thing that I was glad that he kept from Harry until the very end of the DH was the fact that Harry had to die in order to kill Voldemort. I think that if Harry had been told this before the final battle, he might have backed away and not have done it and every would live in a wizarding world full of hatred. I also agree he could have put Harry with the Weasley's or with someone with the same kind of family because he wouldn't be praised, he would be loved and he would still have turned into a good kid.

I don't think that he used Harry as a tool because he knew he was going to die, so there had to be someone to defeat Voldie, and Harry had to be it, but yet I still am angry that he wasn't told the whole truth.  

gerp91

gina787

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:25 pm
I completely disagree and here's why:

First of all, we cannot ignore that he placed Harry with the Dursley's for his own protection. Although Voldemort wasn't around at the time, Dumbledore knew he wasn't dead and that he would come back. He didn't know when but he knew the first thing he would want to do is kill Harry so really placing Harry there was a good thing. It guaranteed his protection. He could have placed him with another wizarding family. He would have been loved but not protected. I think we can all agree that in this case the priority would be Harry's life. Voldemort was temporarily defeated but his supporters were still at large and consequently still posed a threat. Aside from that, he guaranteed that Harry wouldn't be arrogant. Yes, a loving family may have prevented this but I think Dumbledore was being influenced by his own life. He was brilliant and as a result was incredibly arrogant in his youth. He knew the dangers that could bring and wanted to make sure Harry didn't make the same mistakes he did. Harry's childhood, as horrible as it may have been, shaped his character. He learned to really appreciate what he had.

Now, the idea that Dumbledore was using Harry as some sort of human wizarding nuclear weapon is completely ridiculous. He's not using Harry at all. He should have been completely honest with him, I'll admit that but he had good reason not to be. It wasn't because he wanted to manipulate him. It was because he wanted to give Harry as much of a normal adolescence as possible for as long as possible. He's only guilty of being blinded by his love for Harry. He cared for him a great deal. Perhaps more than he should have and that made him careless.

"I cared about you too much...I cared more for your happiness than your knowing the truth...more for your life than the lives that might be lost...I defy anyone who has watched you as closely as I have...not to want to save you more pain...What did I care if numbers of nameless...people...were slaughtered in the vague future, if in the here and now you were alive, and well, and happy?"

That alone proves that he most definitely cared about what it could do to Harry and tried to spare him the worry and danger for as long as possible. It was a mistake but it was an honest mistake resulting from his love for Harry not his desire to utilize him. He knew the prophecy so of course he knew that only Harry could defeat Voldemort and because of that he did try to shape him into the "perfect weapon". However, I think you're twisting his reasoning. He wanted to help Harry overcome it. He was always concerned for his safety and because of that he had Snape teach him occlumency. He could have done so himself but he was afraid that Voldemort might use that as yet another reason to hurt Harry and possess him. He was trying to spare him more suffering.

Dumbledore was not perfect but I honestly think that anyone who says that he didn't genuinely love Harry must have obviously read some other version of the books I was not aware existed (no offense wink ). He made mistakes but they were the result of his love for Harry not some imaginary evil, twisted, machiavellian plan. Dumbledore was an amazing, brilliant, loving and protective father figure for Harry. He was most definitely the most influential person in his life and, in my humble opinion, he couldn't have had a better mentor.

I had more to say but this is super long as it is and it's 12:30 AM and I firmly believe that no rational human being should be forced to think after 12 mrgreen

Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff