Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

S. Shark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:00 pm
Gwah, thought of another one I hate. >_<

Abortion fails women.
Women can do better than abortion.
Women are better than killing their children.

(Et cetra. Now, women shouldn't feel pressured to get abortions. They shouldn't feel like it's their only option.

That being said...)

Translation: Women can do better than having control of their lives! Oh, and women who don't want children are weak!

Damn it all to hell. I declare myself celibate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:05 pm
Oxymoronic Username
Peppermint Schnapps
Oxymoronic Username
"Abortion has deadly side effects, while pregnancy doesn't!"

O RLY? I guess we should ban most surgeries because there's a chance you can die. And having babies, too, because you can die from that. rolleyes

I don't remember hearing too many of these but just... wow. If I ever heard someone use one of them in real life I'd probably snap. The pro-life "argument" I like least is the infamous "men don't have abortions so why should women?" I told my mom about it and she started laughing.

When I finished reading that "Men don't have abortions" thing, I cried. How could anyone be so stupid to not realize that men don't NEED abortions?! (Castration {sp?}, on the other hand..)

My mom and I had a conversation regarding the origin of that wretched thing. She figured it was someone having an uber-stupid day when they thought of it and deemed it the "mother of all arguments". Their brain was probably so fried on this day that they figured it would win them many an argument against the evil pro-choicers. Thus, they made it into a .GIF and it got lost amongst all the other garbage in the rando-signature. If they saw it today they'd probably (I hope, lest I lose all faith in humanity) slap themselves.  

Peppermint Schnapps

Nethilia

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:54 pm
WatersMoon110
Nethilia
"The woman made her choice when she had sex!"

Yeah, and using that logic you made your choice when you decided to walk across the street against the light and a car plowed you down.

And then they have the nerve to object to the "choice to get in a car=no medical attention" comparasion.

Why is sex the only choice that someone can't reverse? I don't think I will ever understand that line of reasoning.

Because sex is bad and sticky and iccky and needs punishment.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:15 am
Quote:
Why is sex the only choice that someone can't reverse? I don't think I will ever understand that line of reasoning.

Suicide is another choice you can't reverse.

Sex apparently is the only choice you can't reverse where an ability to do so exists... for the very reason neth said - it needs to be punished by the morally uptight upright.

I hate a lot of arguments both pro-life and pro-choice.

I hate the idea that women must be punished.
I hate the idea that pro-lifers are trying to remove the rights that protect me from rape and torture.
I hate the idea that the definition of a word somehow acts as a debate in itself.
I hate ignorance by all parties involved. Inform yourself of the facts before forming strong opinions.

Nothing is more frustrating than someone who has strong opinions on a topic they've got absolutely no idea about.  

Talon-chan

Deformography

Liberal Genius

2,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:44 am
An argument that I used to use back when I was stupid: 9 months is nothing compared to the rest of a woman's life!

Yeah, that's a bad one.

All the semantics tend to bother me, too... But, I think it's a necessary part of the debate.

I also hate it when people try to make reproduction equal. It's not ******** EQUAL. Of course women get an out and men don't get to say jack about it. *growls* Idiots...

It could cure AIDS! Yeah, it could also be the next Dubya which, while entertaining, would suck toes.

Abortion shouldn't be used as birth control! Well, what the ******** do you think it is? God, people are stupid.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:13 am
Deformography
I also hate it when people try to make reproduction equal. It's not ******** EQUAL. Of course women get an out and men don't get to say jack about it. *growls* Idiots...

Because people don't understand that reproduction and parenthood are not the same. Yes, it takes one sperm and one egg to conceive, but it takes the woman's body to house the cells. If the woman wasn't there, there would be no fetus. The only way it would be equal is if the fetus could be removed and implanted in a man. He would then get to decide as it would be in his body. As long as it's in someone else's body, he has no say.  

MipsyKitten
Crew

Blue Silver Stars

8,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:54 pm
Alwebya
"It's murder!" is, probably, the most common. And no matter how many times we proove it isn't, that argument just keeps comming back.

Oh god, every time I hear that I want to go on a homicidal rampage.

It's not like the fetus can think, feel, or any of that stuff, because if it could be proven that they could, then we'd have a whole nother issue.

What really torks me off is that people don't care if their stance on an issue is completely truthful, they just care if it sounds bad enough to get more people on their side. If people just told the whole truth when supporting their issue, we wouldn't have so much of this dodgy s**t going on.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:32 pm
For those who don't mind the woman dying so long as she gives birth to the fetus "She's gotten a chance to live! She should (be forced to) give the fetus the chance now, because it never got to!"

Ugh.

And also "All the woman has to do is carry it for nine months! Waah, she's just not willing to put up a little time in her life for a a whole new one!"  

Reinna Astarel

Mera Hei

Timid Rogue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:51 pm
Peppermint Schnapps
Oxymoronic Username
Peppermint Schnapps
Oxymoronic Username
"Abortion has deadly side effects, while pregnancy doesn't!"

O RLY? I guess we should ban most surgeries because there's a chance you can die. And having babies, too, because you can die from that. rolleyes

I don't remember hearing too many of these but just... wow. If I ever heard someone use one of them in real life I'd probably snap. The pro-life "argument" I like least is the infamous "men don't have abortions so why should women?" I told my mom about it and she started laughing.

When I finished reading that "Men don't have abortions" thing, I cried. How could anyone be so stupid to not realize that men don't NEED abortions?! (Castration {sp?}, on the other hand..)

My mom and I had a conversation regarding the origin of that wretched thing. She figured it was someone having an uber-stupid day when they thought of it and deemed it the "mother of all arguments". Their brain was probably so fried on this day that they figured it would win them many an argument against the evil pro-choicers. Thus, they made it into a .GIF and it got lost amongst all the other garbage in the rando-signature. If they saw it today they'd probably (I hope, lest I lose all faith in humanity) slap themselves.

Hmm... Knowing people today, the exact same thing happened.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:12 pm
Reinna Astarel
For those who don't mind the woman dying so long as she gives birth to the fetus "She's gotten a chance to live! She should (be forced to) give the fetus the chance now, because it never got to!"

That's easily countered with "it did too get a chance to live. Then it was aborted."  

Deformography

Liberal Genius

2,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200

petit_diable

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:51 pm
3nodding

Many arguments annoy me. These:

"Well, maybe the woman should try abstinence."
(Maybe the woman wants to have some fun and not die at 80 as a virgin. Maybe she has one or two accidents.)

"Of course we have science on our side!"
(Er...you count the luminol testing as real science? Do they care to elaborate? Of course they don't.)

"Stop abortion in God's name!/God hates abortion!"
(Um...let's start with proving God exists. Then let's go on to whether he/she/it cares.)

"Abortion is a messy, violent, cruel way of killing."
(Erm....do fetuses even have consciences?)

"Abortion is murder!"
(Of course it is. But would you have such a fit if you/somebody else stepped on an ant?)

are only a few of them.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:53 am
@ talon and toga! - Speaking of arguments, nice signatures!!  

Faeyas

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Captain_Theoretical

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:07 pm
"It's the woman's fault for having sex. Now she must suffer."

That's funny because last time I checked men don't have to suffer for their completely irresponsible sex drive.

Also, if someone had sex and got AIDS, they wouldn't be refused medical attention because they need to be punished for being irresponsible.

"My religion says abortion is bad."

I understand people who truly believe each life is precious and sacred, and although I don't agree that the preciousness of life should make abortion illegal I can understand where they're coming from. Mindlessly following your religion's doctrine without reason to support it is stupid.

What makes this arguement even worse is when it's coupled with the arguement above. God definitely doesn't want us having sex, that's why He gave us the biological urge to have sex.

Back in biblical times, young girls were getting married off to older men and giving birth at thirteen.

"Give the baby a chance to live."

I'll just ignore the fact that the same people who use this arguement also say "It's living as soon as it's concieved".

You give birth to a baby, it's screaming it's head off. Obviously, it doesn't like life very much. Now that you've given it a chance, you can kill it, right?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:39 pm
I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but I ******** despise the "you should've kept your legs closed!" argument. I'm not even going to go into detail why, I'm sure you all know.

I also hate the "pro-choicers almost killed my best friend" routine (i.e. my best friend's mother almost got an abortion; if she did, my best friend would never have lived and his/her absence would've left a gaping hole in my life, etc.) Honestly, that's gotta be the most asenine argument I've ever heard. If that woman got an abortion, you wouldn't miss your best friend because she/he never would have existed, and you would just have gotten another best friend. That same argument can be used for our side as well.

Example: Supposedly, Hitler's mother considered abortion. Perhaps she didn't get one because a bunch of pro-lifers waved gory pictures in front of her face and guilt-tripped her into not undergoing the procedure. Who knows? Maybe they convinced her not to abort because her child could grow up to become a famous world leader or something. Her offspring goes on to massacre millions of people, one of whom was some guy named Joe Shmo. Had Joe Shmo lived, he would have fathered a wonderful young man who would have met me, fallen in love, and married me. He and I could have lived happily ever after living in a house in the suburbs surrounded by a white picket fence with a couple of kids and a golden retriever. But alas, this idealic existance could not be, all because some pro-lifer told some woman abortion was evil. Moral of the story: Pro-lifers killed my husband!!!1!!1 See how stupid it is?  

Half Baked SF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 pm
The "right to life" one is really annoying. They conveniently forget that the right to life that we have is NOT inalienable in the face of bodily integrity.

Speaking of BI, Add to the list every justification that antis give for their "pregnant women don't sdeserve BI" bullshit. Because they also conveniently forget that I don't have to surrender my body to another born person under any circumstance.

"Killing a baby before it has a chance to live" is a contradiction. You can't kill somethign that hasn't lived yet rolleyes  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff