Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Wicca Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:56 pm
Charity.Solei
So I should ask about that coven's linneage?

Of course! It never hurts to ask! But don't be surprised if you get garbled talk of "lines" and a couple outer court names and contact information. Please refer to my instructions below for verifying lineage:

It's very important to verify lineage. Real Wiccans will expect this and will admire you for taking this bold but necessary step. Don't worry, they won't feel insulted! The first step in verification is to ask your potential Initiator(s) who will vouch for them. They will give you the contact information of other Wiccans who are willing to have their contact information given out to Seekers! Don't be alarmed if they don't give you the name and address of their Initiator. Maybe their Initiator isn't down with that kind of thing. Contact the people and verify your Wiccan's story.

The next step is to get independent verifications. That means that if you already know a Wiccan, even if they live far away from the Wiccan you've found, you can contact your known Wiccan and ask if they can get anyone to vouch for your found Wiccan. Your known Wiccan will be able to go through the proper channels to find a vouch. If you don't know ANY Wiccans anywhere, then you can try joining a list like Amberandjet.org and posting something like "can anyone vouch for a [insert Trad here] Wiccan in [insert state here]" and wait for responses. You'd be surprised how many independent vouches will come out of the woodwork! Also, this will get easier with time as you get in contact with verified Wiccans who can route your questions quickly to the appropriate people.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:20 pm
The only real Wiccan I know is you. I'm going to ask on the amber and jet mailing list (i only recentlly became a member). Maybe then I can look at the other groups I was interested in.  

Charity.Solei

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:03 pm
Charity.Solei
The only real Wiccan I know is you.

And I know people who know people. Granted, I'm only a young 'un in the Craft and others are far more well-connected!

Charity.Solei
I'm going to ask on the amber and jet mailing list

Always a good idea, even if only as a back-up! I've used A&J for that purpose successfully several times. Be wary though, sometimes people stay silent when they know that you're asking about a bad person, rather than speaking out against them rudely. And nobody may have yet heard about a new fraud. Treat a person who has no positive vouches just as you would treat one who earned negative comments. It's quite rare for an Elder to be a complete unknown to the large Wiccan community that hangs around A&J!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:36 pm
I was already advised on A&J to be careful of any coven or tradition that adds ecltic to it. Since i'm a traditionalist at heart I'll follow my instincts on this one.  

Charity.Solei

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:22 pm
Charity.Solei
I was already advised on A&J to be careful of any coven or tradition that adds ecltic to it. Since i'm a traditionalist at heart I'll follow my instincts on this one.

Good luck! Let me know if you want to bounce any more questions off of me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:32 pm
I was talking to a friend of mine, and she brought up a point that is confusing me. How exactly would a Great Rite be preformed for a homosexual? She is thinking that there is some form of it that is made for homosexuals, while Im thinking that sexual prefrence set aside, its always heterosexual in nature.

Im having a feeling that most (if not all) of this would be oathbound, but any awnser you can provide would be helpful.  

PhantomPhoenix0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:55 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
I was talking to a friend of mine, and she brought up a point that is confusing me. How exactly would a Great Rite be preformed for a homosexual? She is thinking that there is some form of it that is made for homosexuals, while Im thinking that sexual prefrence set aside, its always heterosexual in nature.

Im having a feeling that most (if not all) of this would be oathbound, but any awnser you can provide would be helpful.
Without stepping on Kudzu's roots, I would suggest Reagun would make for an excelent voice on this matter, being gay and a former Wiccan.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:50 pm
TeaDidikai
PhantomPhoenix0
How exactly would a Great Rite be preformed for a homosexual?
Without stepping on Kudzu's roots, I would suggest Reagun would make for an excelent voice on this matter, being gay and a former Wiccan.

I'm going to go ahead and endorse TeaDidikai's suggestion, whole-heartedly, due to the fact that I can't think of a way to answer your question within the boundries of my oath!  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:28 pm
[Kudzu]
TeaDidikai
PhantomPhoenix0
How exactly would a Great Rite be preformed for a homosexual?

I'm going to go ahead and endorse TeaDidikai's suggestion, whole-heartedly, due to the fact that I can't think of a way to answer your question within the boundries of my oath!
Oh sure. It doesn't have anything to do with how insightful Reagun is, or how keen I am, or the fact that I made a hedious pun! It all boils down to oaths?! gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:08 pm
TeaDidikai
Oh sure. It doesn't have anything to do with how insightful Reagun is, or how keen I am, or the fact that I made a hedious pun!!

What good is a blanket, one-size-fits-all excuse if I can't use it gratuitously? wink  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:41 pm
[Kudzu]
What good is a blanket, one-size-fits-all excuse if I can't use it gratuitously? wink
whee Fair enough!

But you could have at least acknowledged my attempt to be punny! crying  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:14 pm
TeaDidikai
But you could have at least acknowledged my attempt to be punny!

Fine! Acknowledged! Now stop punishing me!  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Reijin-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:43 pm
I have a technical question about Wicca. I was watching M&R earlier, and people were debating initiation, as per usual. Anyway, on to the point. I know that one cannot self-initiate. It has been said that one must be initiated by a coven, but I was wondering, since it is possible to become a solitary wiccan after initiation, could one be initiated by a soltary wiccan?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:35 am
Reijin-chan
Could one be initiated by a soltary wiccan?

It depends upon the Tradition. I believe that, in some Traditions, in some specific circumstances, if certain conditions are met and certain customs trampled upon, if it were an "emergency" an Initiation could be performed, but it would absolutely not be ideal. Due to circumstances and conditions mentioned above, it could not be done for every Initiate, and due to the customs it should not be done. This is so much the case that I have personally never known it to happen, and I have personally known of a situation where a person who could have fit the above conditions and cercumstances, who wanted to work with their spouse in one Trad, was Initiated and trained to Elder into another Trad and then flown across the country to be cross-Initiated to be trained into their spouse's Trad many years later. Because of this, I can imagine there many be additional prohibitions that I'm not aware of at my newbie level. Also, regardless of whether the one got Initiated, they would then be required to be trained by that person who had been trained by others. Training simply cannot be done alone.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Reijin-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:58 pm
That's what I figured. It was just a "hmm, I wonder?" hypothetical moment. Thanks for the clarification.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff