Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Cross dressing tips Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXxAlyx_NyghtxXx

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:12 am
I'm a 6'4" tall (w/o heels) drag queen so finding clothes is pretty hard. But goodwill, thrift stores, etc.. Good places for clothing. If you can't find a lot, make them. Find patterns and fabrics that you like and start sewing hunty. If you are looking for more of a feminine body style, use padding for your hips and backside. Adds a little form. You can use make up to contour and highlight your face. Use a little bit and blend it fairly well so it's not too dramatic and still feminine. Hope this helps :-*  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:31 am
Der Fluch des Pharao
SilentVex

Well, first and foremost I'd simply like to say, GO YOU!

As Der Fluch Des Pharao said, GO YOU!

I have been cross dressing for quite a while now, i only have girls clothes but it took me a long time to find out what i was going for.
When i say cross dressing i'm not saying i wanna look like a girl and i guess thats sort of what you're going for, right?
As for your shoulders, i had the same problem. but oversized sweaters does the trick. You can try high-waised dresses with large neck-lines (i'm not sure what the term is in english but i hope you get what i mean)
I'd be happy to look into it but i'm not completly sure what kind of look you're going for.
last year i got into a design school here in my country and i've been making lots of unisex clothes so i might know some tips and tricks <:

Blueberry Turd

Sparkly Fairy

Blueberry Turd

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:34 am
xXxAlex_NyghtxXx
I'm a 6'4" tall (w/o heels) drag queen so finding clothes is pretty hard. But goodwill, thrift stores, etc.. Good places for clothing. If you can't find a lot, make them. Find patterns and fabrics that you like and start sewing hunty. If you are looking for more of a feminine body style, use padding for your hips and backside. Adds a little form. You can use make up to contour and highlight your face. Use a little bit and blend it fairly well so it's not too dramatic and still feminine. Hope this helps :-*

It's easy to avoid making ur own clothes if you're able to buy clothes of the internet.
but u most know your own size ofcourse.
not everyone has the time or skills to make their own without some kind of teacher or a mother with sewing skills~
Just my experience <:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:44 pm
SilentVex
Der Fluch des Pharao

Thank you very much for the help you offered. ^.^ Despite already having told most of my family and friends, it's still hard to mention it to anyone (even with internet anonymity). The 'Go you!' really means a lot to me.

I only have troubles because, well to be honest my few female friends are the busty girls, and I'm pretty afraid to go out and ask because I live in a small town (and I really don't want news of this getting to Dad, since that'd be the end of any social life I have) and it's pretty hard to find a lot of open people. Of course I will try at some point. ^^"

And again, thank you for the support~

I didn't check to see if someone has mentioned this already, but fashion magazines (transgender and not transgender) tend to address what to wear according to body type - and reading fashion mags will also help get you acquainted to the different trends. There are also many online sources that you can look into - including this forum.
A few responses to this post also mentioned that you should wear what you like - I agree. Wear what you like and don't worry so much about what would typically look flattering on you, but if you are worried then maybe find support and get feedback from other MTFs to boost confidence and all of that.

Congrats on telling your mom too! : D

*edit
Peplum tops and dresses help with the feminine look - and they are a really recent trend, so most stores sell them.
Jackets with a little bit of bulk might help hide the shoulders - even better if they are cropped high to make your waist look smaller in comparison.  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

KarenGreen

Beloved Fairy

9,600 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:49 am
Ok time to donate my two cents.

I'm 5'11, maybe even 6'... not even sure any more, 150 lbs. I have long hair, but I have a bit of a body hair issue. I get over that easily with constant shaving/waxing.

Let me step back for a moment, though. Congrats for coming out to your mother at the very least. I had just come out to my mother maybe five years ago, and it was not easy task. I had just moved back in with my parents and I had brought with me all my girl clothes I had when I lived on my own. I had no other way of stating why I had the clothes, so I came out and told her. She was confused at first, but told me it was ok. I was so relieved.

My father was a different story. I was terrified of telling him. Ever since I was young, he would always get me posters of girls in bikinis, call me over for when there was a beauty pageant on TV, and generally told me to stay away from the "gays" at school. When I had dressed up as a fairy and had simply told him so, he asked if it was a gay thing and that I shouldn't be doing that.

So when I came out to him just last year, it was a big relief for me when he accepted me. As is, I'm rather a disappointment to my family, but otherwise, it went over smoothly. It's hard, and to each his own, but if he really loves you, then he can't deny who you truly wish to be. Proceed with caution is all I can say. wahmbulance

I live with my girlfriend now, in my apartment. I crossdress primarily at home, although I go out in tight-fitting girls' jeans, undies, shoes, socks, and sometimes tops. I sometimes wear earrings, and sometimes even light, colored, lip gloss (eek! which reminds me, I just bought a new one today! 3nodding ).

I shop primarily at Ross, Burlington, Wal-Mart, Dots, and Target for my girl clothing. I stay to the teen section and shop 1 to 2 sizes above my boy sizes... I aim for L to XL for shirts, 7-9 for jeans, M for undies. I find that shirts I get from certain stores may range smaller in size than normal (ahem, Spencers). As far as undies, and I'm not even sure if this is an issue for you, I prefer VS, Frederick's, and the small selections at Target and Wal-Mart. I also enjoy Flirtitude at JC Penneys.

Now, as far as shirt sizes, I totally understand the low cut feeling. I find a cute print, see it's low cut, and it kills me inside. I really feel sorry for those girls who are "flat" when I see shirts like that and wonder what they go through. For the time being, just stick to Baby-T's and print shirts, as well as any other blouses you might find appealing. I'm really into the button-up cowboy shirts look, too. They're cute and slimming!

If you're ever in the market for shoes, a) make sure you have clean socks, or hose (depending on how far you've gone), and b) be prepared to try on shoes. Shoe sizes are way different between boys and gals, so you'll want to try on a pair when you find something you like. I'm cheap, I'll admit, but I've found that when shopping at Payless, they never give me any grief about trying on women's shoes. If you start wearing high heels, my only advice is to start off with kitty heels and move on up to high heels. Once you get your high heels, you'll want to Practice, Practice, Practice. Trust me, for Halloween this year I dressed up as a fairy (again), with 4 inch heels. All the girls were stricken with jealousy that a guy could walk around in them better than they... because I had practiced for about a month at home.

Make up. As they've said before less is better, unless you have an awful, awful 5 o'clock shadow. I found a fantastic video on hiding awful stubble issues even after a close shave, and the main tip was that you use an orange primer over your skin before applying your foundation. Since finding orange primer is nearly impossible (green primer is easier to find), I used an orange-hued lip stick. Also, if you plan to use make up, make sure to get yourself some good make-up removal towlettes.

Last but not least, if you are trying to hide that awful, awful little ... y'know... in your pants, then you might want to look up videos on how to make a home-made gaff. Gaffs are used by stage artists to hide the bulge so it's not obvious in costume. Usually, they cost around $20-$40, but you can make your own for as little as $3-$5.

I hope all this helps you out. Good luck, and take care!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:06 am
KarenGreen
Ok time to donate my two cents.

I'm 5'11, maybe even 6'... not even sure any more, 150 lbs. I have long hair, but I have a bit of a body hair issue. I get over that easily with constant shaving/waxing.

Let me step back for a moment, though. Congrats for coming out to your mother at the very least. I had just come out to my mother maybe five years ago, and it was not easy task. I had just moved back in with my parents and I had brought with me all my girl clothes I had when I lived on my own. I had no other way of stating why I had the clothes, so I came out and told her. She was confused at first, but told me it was ok. I was so relieved.

My father was a different story. I was terrified of telling him. Ever since I was young, he would always get me posters of girls in bikinis, call me over for when there was a beauty pageant on TV, and generally told me to stay away from the "gays" at school. When I had dressed up as a fairy and had simply told him so, he asked if it was a gay thing and that I shouldn't be doing that.

So when I came out to him just last year, it was a big relief for me when he accepted me. As is, I'm rather a disappointment to my family, but otherwise, it went over smoothly. It's hard, and to each his own, but if he really loves you, then he can't deny who you truly wish to be. Proceed with caution is all I can say. wahmbulance

I live with my girlfriend now, in my apartment. I crossdress primarily at home, although I go out in tight-fitting girls' jeans, undies, shoes, socks, and sometimes tops. I sometimes wear earrings, and sometimes even light, colored, lip gloss (eek! which reminds me, I just bought a new one today! 3nodding ).

I shop primarily at Ross, Burlington, Wal-Mart, Dots, and Target for my girl clothing. I stay to the teen section and shop 1 to 2 sizes above my boy sizes... I aim for L to XL for shirts, 7-9 for jeans, M for undies. I find that shirts I get from certain stores may range smaller in size than normal (ahem, Spencers). As far as undies, and I'm not even sure if this is an issue for you, I prefer VS, Frederick's, and the small selections at Target and Wal-Mart. I also enjoy Flirtitude at JC Penneys.

Now, as far as shirt sizes, I totally understand the low cut feeling. I find a cute print, see it's low cut, and it kills me inside. I really feel sorry for those girls who are "flat" when I see shirts like that and wonder what they go through. For the time being, just stick to Baby-T's and print shirts, as well as any other blouses you might find appealing. I'm really into the button-up cowboy shirts look, too. They're cute and slimming!

If you're ever in the market for shoes, a) make sure you have clean socks, or hose (depending on how far you've gone), and b) be prepared to try on shoes. Shoe sizes are way different between boys and gals, so you'll want to try on a pair when you find something you like. I'm cheap, I'll admit, but I've found that when shopping at Payless, they never give me any grief about trying on women's shoes. If you start wearing high heels, my only advice is to start off with kitty heels and move on up to high heels. Once you get your high heels, you'll want to Practice, Practice, Practice. Trust me, for Halloween this year I dressed up as a fairy (again), with 4 inch heels. All the girls were stricken with jealousy that a guy could walk around in them better than they... because I had practiced for about a month at home.

Make up. As they've said before less is better, unless you have an awful, awful 5 o'clock shadow. I found a fantastic video on hiding awful stubble issues even after a close shave, and the main tip was that you use an orange primer over your skin before applying your foundation. Since finding orange primer is nearly impossible (green primer is easier to find), I used an orange-hued lip stick. Also, if you plan to use make up, make sure to get yourself some good make-up removal towlettes.

Last but not least, if you are trying to hide that awful, awful little ... y'know... in your pants, then you might want to look up videos on how to make a home-made gaff. Gaffs are used by stage artists to hide the bulge so it's not obvious in costume. Usually, they cost around $20-$40, but you can make your own for as little as $3-$5.

I hope all this helps you out. Good luck, and take care!

Excuse me while I write down notes on this massive trove of information. *writing furiously*

On a side note, my sisters know too (not sure if I said that in an earlier post, too lazy to go back and look). In fact one of them did my make up one day and colored my hair with temporary hair chalk. Quite adorable I thought.

and they both are jealous of my bras. I get all the good ones they say.  

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Married 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:35 pm
                okay, so i don't crossdress, but i will say this (i don't know if it's been mentioned before on this thread), because it's actually the worst and most annoying thing when it comes to clothes shopping:

sizing is the devil incarnate. i don't know if this is true or not, but men's sizes are generally the same everywhere (3 in one brand, 3 in the other and so on). woman's sizes are hardly ever the same. in delias jeans, i was a 00 or a 0 (the last time i shopped there was in 7th grade or so), so that kind of gives you an idea of the fact that i'm pretty thin. i also had to get the "long" or "x-long" leg size, as proportionally, my limbs are pretty long. now, i buy almost exclusively american eagle jeans, and i'm a size 3 in their jeans. i'm also a regular leg length almost all the time, not a long leg length (for reference, i am a little over 5'7").

this goes for tops as well, sometimes even bras (in victoria's secret and almost everywhere else, 32b. in some aerie bras, the band is a bit tight, so i'm a 34b- however, bras can loosed up a bit once washed, depending on the material so usually i just get a 32). for tops, i'm around a 4 or a 2, or a small/ medium. so you can know your size in one brand or store, but not the other- which is fine, and is actually totally normal! i know my size in target shirts and pajamas, but not in jeans- in american eagle, almost always pick my right size out, in delias it was about 70% of the time, and in places i don't frequent, it's often a bit hard and annoying. department stores can be hell sometimes because of this. (you might have noticed this sizing thing already, given the fact you've already been shopping.)

the only correlation with women's clothing that i've found is that it's always numbers (usually in 2 increments- as in, 00, 0, 2, 4, 6, etc.), and that bra sizes almost always match up; sizes that work in smalls and mediums usually match up with other smalls and mediums. i'm not going to even get started on things like swimsuits (when it's a problem, it's often a huge annoying one is basically it though).

as for body type, it's often hard to understand- as stated already, i have proportionally pretty long limbs, and i'm pretty thin. most of the shirts i have drape on me somewhat, and that's not a bad thing, it's simply how most things fit and it looks fine on me. so, i'm a bit rectangular, but i'm also female, so i do have curves; hips show more than men's, there's curves here and there and whatnot.

(if you don't know what your body type is when it comes to women's, this is a good article. looking in a mirror also helps if using a visual reference.)

knowing the general shape of your face is also good (mine is kind of ovular, but my cheekbones are noticeable so it's a bit angular), so i'd suggest finding that. there's a bunch of youtube tutorials, and one i found is one my michellephan- it shows you how to find your face shape, and then talks about what glasses would look good on your face shape (which may be irrelevant to you, but hey).

be sure to find things that flatter what you want to (like your legs? emphasize those, and so on); many teen beauty magazines (i.e. seventeen) have often near monthly articles on what kinds of clothes to buy. sometimes, you can find articles like that on the magazine's website- they often tend to be image heavy, though, so don't bet on it. you'll probably have to go find the physical copy, to a scan of the image.

tldr: sizing is the devil so don't count on knowing your size in everything; knowing if you're a small, medium, etc. and what size you are in stores your frequent is the norm. body type isn't that important to know, but if you want clothes to mask certain things, then do know that. often times, there are teen magazines that show what clothes to buy to draw attention to a certain area of the body, which is something that can help minimize the look of one part of your body. also, good idea to know your face shape.
                x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 pm
First thing,lucky you.

Two,if you're interested in wearing heels,pumps and just women's shoes,you must go one size higher than your normal shoe size,sometimes you have to buy a wide as well. Like if you wear a size 10,you'd need a women's 11 or 11W,Wide would apply to heels and pumps.

Panty and skirt sizes share the same sizes if you want to do that as well.  

Professor Cypress

Codebreaking Genius

10,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Ultimate Player 200

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:20 am
Professor Cypress
First thing,lucky you.

Two,if you're interested in wearing heels,pumps and just women's shoes,you must go one size higher than your normal shoe size,sometimes you have to buy a wide as well. Like if you wear a size 10,you'd need a women's 11 or 11W,Wide would apply to heels and pumps.

I think that's just the difference between men and women's shoe sizes - like, I'm a men's size 7 (I have small feet...) and a women's 8 1/2. Its kinda across the board like that... I don't have issues with width though.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:23 am
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
First thing,lucky you.

I think that's just the difference between men and women's shoe sizes - like, I'm a men's size 7 (I have small feet...) and a women's 8 1/2. Its kinda across the board like that... I don't have issues with width though.

Is it? But that's what I was told back in Payless when I was with my sister and the clerk helped me. Because I'm a men's 11-11 1/2 and a women's 12/12W and the boots I tried on fit like a glove. If only I could freely crossdress,lol  

Professor Cypress

Codebreaking Genius

10,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Ultimate Player 200

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 am
Professor Cypress
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
First thing,lucky you.

Is it? But that's what I was told back in Payless when I was with my sister and the clerk helped me. Because I'm a men's 11-11 1/2 and a women's 12/12W and the boots I tried on fit like a glove. If only I could freely crossdress,lol

Sorry, I'm being confusing - I mean that there is a labeling discrepancy between men and women's shoe sizings, so generally speaking the same size shoe is labelled 1 1/2 sizes bigger in women's than in men's. As most men have wider feet than women (I have really high arches which results in a narrow foot, so have no problems in regard to width), many men seeking a woman's shoe need to go wider as well. However, this differs by brand and individual.

I freely cross dress - even when I'm not wearing women's clothes, I am mistaken for a female, so its relatively easy for me :/  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:15 am
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
First thing,lucky you.

Sorry, I'm being confusing - I mean that there is a labeling discrepancy between men and women's shoe sizings, so generally speaking the same size shoe is labelled 1 1/2 sizes bigger in women's than in men's. As most men have wider feet than women (I have really high arches which results in a narrow foot, so have no problems in regard to width), many men seeking a woman's shoe need to go wider as well. However, this differs by brand and individual.

I freely cross dress - even when I'm not wearing women's clothes, I am mistaken for a female, so its relatively easy for me :/

Well that makes sense there! and lucky you.  

Professor Cypress

Codebreaking Genius

10,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Ultimate Player 200

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:17 am
Professor Cypress
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
First thing,lucky you.

It has its up sides and its down sides...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:23 am
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
First thing,lucky you.

Doesn't everything? But you weren't kidding about being mistaken for a female. That's a quality photo.  

Professor Cypress

Codebreaking Genius

10,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Ultimate Player 200

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:24 am
Professor Cypress
I AM R U
Professor Cypress
I AM R U
Professor Cypress

Doesn't everything? But you weren't kidding about being mistaken for a female. That's a quality photo.

I'm wearing a fair amount of make up, honestly... My lips are not actually quite that large... The hair is natural though... I'm very vain about my hair.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff