Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply The Mouseia: ART AND STORIES
Mythological AVIs? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The ScarIet Witch

4,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:41 pm
eek Ooooooohh

That's awesome! They look so neat!

Great job on those!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:07 pm
Javier Cross
Akherontis
New avatar; Hestia. Next up, probably Demeter.
User Image

Now i wonder when Demeter will come up, next?
So what sort of main role did Hestia take during the Titan War, dare i ask?

I don't think she was really important in fighting, Hestia. She was a peaceful goddess. If anything, I'd see her cooking and tending the hearth, not out fighting the Titan War.  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:19 pm
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross
Akherontis
User Image

I don't think she was really important in fighting, Hestia. She was a peaceful goddess. If anything, I'd see her cooking and tending the hearth, not out fighting the Titan War.

But what about Demeter?
Its fairly obvious that Hera was pretty combative in the Titan War, but what about Demeter?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:56 pm
Javier Cross
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross
Akherontis
User Image

But what about Demeter?
Its fairly obvious that Hera was pretty combative in the Titan War, but what about Demeter?

I could see Demeter fighting, but it would be rare. Demeter was one of the goddesses known for their tempers. Maybe she fought during the war alongside Poseidon.

I just realized something through my reading. How much children did Zeus stir during the Titan War? I do remember hearing Ares and Athena participating, but I could be wrong.  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:58 pm
Akherontis

__________TO DO LIST__________

Zeus and Hera 3nodding

Poseidon and Amphitrite 3nodding

Hades and Persephone 3nodding

Demeter and Hestia

Athena and Ares

Apollon and Artemis

Aphrodite and Hephaistos

Hermes and Dionysos

Helios and Selene

Asklepios and Herakles

Hëbë and Ganymedes

Enyo and Eilethyia

Iris and Eos

Phobos and Deimos

Pan and Triton

Eros and Anteros 3nodding

Hypnos and Thanatos 3nodding

Wow, Athena and Ares together....  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:52 pm
Mnemosyne Moneta

Athena and Ares against one another, you mean. They are essentially martial deities with distinctly opposing idealogies, and thus they fit together like yin and yang.

Mnemosyne Moneta

I could see Demeter fighting, but it would be rare. Demeter was one of the goddesses known for their tempers. Maybe she fought during the war alongside Poseidon.

I just realized something through my reading. How much children did Zeus stir during the Titan War? I do remember hearing Ares and Athena participating, but I could be wrong.

Demeter was a very violent and vengeful goddess, actually. One of her epithets is Erinys, the Unstoppable, and she is often depicted riding a war chariot. But there is little evidence to suggest that the female Kronides actually fought in the Titanomakhia. Hera was definitely sent to be fostered by Tethys and Okeanos (the only Titan who remained neutral in the war), but it's uncertain whether she was sent away before or after the war.

How many children of Zeus fought in the war? None. Zeus himself was still a youth (and the youngest of all gods) at the start of the ten year war. His only consort at the time was the Oceanid Metis, and he was already the victorious king by the time Metis begot his first child, Athena. He had seven other lovers before finally seducing Hera and taking her to Olympos as his queen.  

Akherontis
Captain

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 am
Mnemosyne Moneta
Akherontis

__________TO DO LIST__________

Zeus and Hera 3nodding

Poseidon and Amphitrite 3nodding

Hades and Persephone 3nodding

Demeter and Hestia

Athena and Ares

Apollon and Artemis

Aphrodite and Hephaistos

Hermes and Dionysos

Helios and Selene

Asklepios and Herakles

Hëbë and Ganymedes

Enyo and Eilethyia

Iris and Eos

Phobos and Deimos

Pan and Triton

Eros and Anteros 3nodding

Hypnos and Thanatos 3nodding

Hermes and Dionysus, the two gods most likely to steal your money.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:15 am
Akherontis
Mnemosyne Moneta

Athena and Ares against one another, you mean. They are essentially martial deities with distinctly opposing idealogies, and thus they fit together like yin and yang.

Mnemosyne Moneta

Demeter was a very violent and vengeful goddess, actually. One of her epithets is Erinys, the Unstoppable, and she is often depicted riding a war chariot. But there is little evidence to suggest that the female Kronides actually fought in the Titanomakhia. Hera was definitely sent to be fostered by Tethys and Okeanos (the only Titan who remained neutral in the war), but it's uncertain whether she was sent away before or after the war.

How many children of Zeus fought in the war? None. Zeus himself was still a youth (and the youngest of all gods) at the start of the ten year war. His only consort at the time was the Oceanid Metis, and he was already the victorious king by the time Metis begot his first child, Athena. He had seven other lovers before finally seducing Hera and taking her to Olympos as his queen.

Professor Akherontis:I recalled how Athena and Ares are polar opposites, as well as Step-siblings + half-siblings, from Zeus' first marriage with Metis.
Correct me if i am wrong or half-right, though.

Lady Moneta: It would completely make sense to imagine Demeter unleashing what would be fatal blows with her powers, especially during the Titan War, as clearly Hera could not have been the only Goddess among the children of Kronos who was a badass at the time, right?
Demeter clearly was a massive badass, too! cool

I wonder if the main reason for Hera gritting her teeth on Persephone was more because Demeter was her sister, or its some other reason going on, because i recalled that Hera likes Athena as a step-daughter, and i also recalled that Hera doesn't always go after demigod children sired by Zeus[that's not to say that she didn't try to kill Hercules and Prince Dionysus, but their other demigod half-siblings that she may have placed in harm's way appeared to be more like collateral damage and means to an end than outright targets, themselves!]  

Javier Cross

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:10 pm
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Mnemosyne Moneta

Mnemosyne Moneta

Professor Akherontis:I recalled how Athena and Ares are polar opposites, as well as Step-siblings + half-siblings, from Zeus' first marriage with Metis.

Lady Moneta: It would completely make sense to imagine Demeter unleashing what would be fatal blows with her powers, especially during the Titan War, as clearly Hera could not have been the only Goddess among the children of Kronos who was a badass at the time, right?

I wonder if the main reason for Hera gritting her teeth on Persephone was more because Demeter was her sister, or its some other reason going on, because i recalled that Hera likes Athena as a step-daughter, and i also recalled that Hera doesn't always go after demigod children sired by Zeus[that's not to say that she didn't try to kill Hercules and Prince Dionysus, but their other demigod half-siblings that she may have placed in harm's way appeared to be more like collateral damage and means to an end than outright targets, themselves!]

I think it's all about beauty, really.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 am
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Mnemosyne Moneta

Mnemosyne Moneta

So beauty could have been the main factor as to why Hera didn't hound Persephone, then.  

Javier Cross

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:32 am
Javier Cross
Mnemosyne Moneta
Javier Cross
Akherontis
Mnemosyne Moneta

Mnemosyne Moneta

So beauty could have been the main factor as to why Hera didn't hound Persephone, then.

Yeah, she was like HOT! Do you know how many gods wanted her hand in marriage? And also, Persephone was a daughter of Demeter and Zeus, another reason of why Hera wouldn't like her. And I think she liked Athena because she made things like the weaver and crafts, things that women could do. After all, Hera is the goddess of women.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:36 am
You know which avis I want to see? Phobos and Deimos. Fear and Terror.  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:27 pm
Mnemosyne Moneta
You know which avis I want to see? Phobos and Deimos. Fear and Terror.

Actually, Phobos and Deimos are both Fear, but Phobos is more specifically Terror and Panic, while Deimos is Dread and Alarm. In other words, Phobos is the fear that jumps out in your face, while Deimos is the fear that stalks and harasses you.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:34 pm
And here's my interpretation of Demeter. I've given her golden hair, which is uncharacteristic of her siblings but seems to be consistent with mythical accounts.
User Image  

Akherontis
Captain

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:44 pm
Demeter is sort of.. not what I'd expect her to look like.
Where did Persephone get her looks?  
The Mouseia: ART AND STORIES

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces