Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, pros and cons. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of the upcoming Alice in Wonderland movie?
It looks great! I can't wait to see it!
79%
 79%  [ 31 ]
It looks okay, I'll see it, but I'm not that excited.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
It looks horrible!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I'm half and half on it.
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 39

Johnny Graves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:29 pm
The thing about Tim burton for me is that he uses the same actors in every movie, johnny depp and his wife whats her face (helena?)

its like it doesn't matter what movie he's making he just goes and gives major parts to his friends
Johnny depp is pretty awesome in Pirates and the 9th gate and few other movies but i was at a friends house and we where watching the Special features in Sweeny todd (eh..) and tim burton gave him the part before he knew he could sing

Tim burton lucked out that JD could but could have been a bad move buy just giving a lead role to a friend just because he's a friend. there are plenty of better people that could had playied Hatter..even more so the queen of hearts

Tim burtons movies are good but when he just rounds up a bunch of friends to make a movie and then butchers it and calls it "artistic" thats when his movies go downhill  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:39 pm
@ chani_saint: Haha! XD I actually don't find him very attractive either, but the man can adapt to fit so many parts, so I suppose he's very versatile. Like... a chameleon! XD

@ The Mad Emperor: Yeah... that's one of those predictable things about it. And I agree; Depp made an amazing pirate. It looked like he was really having lots of fun, so that made me smile. XD

I'm still trying to hold off on that... so we'll see, lol. I have to agree; but 'artistic' is horribly, horribly used by everyone these days... it's easier to ignore it then to start on the downward slope that is trying to find true artistic in anything that's out these days. XP

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Crevan_Kitsune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:15 pm
well the great thing about Alice in Wonderland is that it's so imaginative, and Tim Burton has created some wonderfully imaginative things, so I think it's going to be a good mash up. However it is a Tim Burton movie with Johnny Depp(when I first heard he was playing Hatter I pictured a Willy Wonka/ Sweeney Todd Character) about a beloved classic, so I have a feeling it's going to be over-hyped. just hopefully not to the Twilight saga hype...I would cry.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:31 pm
Yeah... but we are all being so pessimistic. XD There are probably plenty of good things about the movie coming out, even if it does get all hyped up.

For example... um... oh, I know! To celebrate my friend's 21st birthday we're having a Sweet/Kuro AiW themed tea party, which was inspired by the movie coming out! I don't know if she would have thought about it if people weren't talking about the upcoming movie... I guess the point is, it may encourage people to try new things that have come to be related to Alice in Wonderland. Exposure can do great things for people, you know? ^_^

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Crevan_Kitsune

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:00 pm
I'm not being pessimistic just cautiously optimistic  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Haha, a much better way of putting it. XD And I wasn't calling you pessimistic specifically (though it sure sounds like it, huh? @_@ Sorry about that!); it's just that we've been worrying our ways through this whole thread... I was running out of things to say. XD  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Irish Stout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:46 am
I'm starting to worry that I'm the only one who's fully excited and optimistic about going to see a movie that isn't even out yet and no one knows for sure what will happen once it is.

I love Johnny Depp for off-kilter roles and think he's going to make a great Mad Hatter if he can pull another one off. I also love Tim Burton's flicks and am simply happy to have two things I love, AiW and Tim Burton, available together. I feel we should be glad that they're making another AiW movie at all, no matter who it involves!

I guess I have a leg up on optimism since I accept that merchandising, capitalism, and bandwagon fans are going to happen to anything no matter what we personally want. So instead of getting upset about it realize that you have options. Don't like Hot Topic or Disney store merchandise? Don't go into the store - no one's forcing you to buy anything! Some bandwagoner going on about it? Don't listen. Change the topic. Move along, move along. Yes, it's depressing but you don't have to let it make you depressed!

As for it being possibly "darker" versus a cute cuddly innocent film I ask why can't we have both? I'll grant you I'm biased because I like the "darker" renditions but I don't see why that has to make the other versions "darker" as well. Sure there are probably people who will think AiW is only dark because of this film but there are people who think putting metal paper clips in wall sockets is a smart idea too. Just call an ambulance and ignore those people. Revel in the versions you like however you like them! If you can watch something like Pan's Labyrinth and then Disney's Jungle Book and accept both for being separate entities that don't influence each other then why not apply it to this film? Enjoy the "darker" or more "adult" versions for what they are and then enjoy the "innocent, cute, cuddly" versions on their own terms.

If you're worried about going to the theater with goth/emo/w/e kids just wait a few weeks until the first rushes die out. You'll be rewarded with less people, more breathing room to distance yourself, and better seat choices.

Sorry for the essay.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:25 pm
Haha, you're not alone my friend... we're all just busy exercising our whining muscles. XD Just pretend we're doing it for our health, tehe.

You make a very good point: similar themes can be completely separate entities, and as such shouldn't be judged the same way. I'm sure it won't be as bad as we're predicting; fads come and go, after all. I know personally I'm going to be there opening weekend dressed up and decked out, and that before and after I'm going to be snapping up whatever merch I can find. XD

*gives you cookies for the essay* Thank you for furthering the discussion! *sets out tea for everyone and gets back to studying* XD

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

frigid gator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:10 pm
For the most part, I'm excited to see what Tim Burton will come up with. I think it may be easier to watch if I completely separate it in my mind from the AiW I've known and loved, and just see the movie as a whole new thing.

My major fear is that it will end up like another over-commercialized Twilight. *Shudder*

One thing I'm grateful for is that the plot isn't supposed to follow the original story exactly. There are far too many of those already. I absolutely love how the Cheshire cat looks in the new movie. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:51 pm
Yeah, that's the fear, tehe. ^_^

Oooh... I've been forcing myself not to look into it so I'm all surprised when I go see the movie. But is the Cat cool lookin'? *stars in eyes*

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:10 pm
The Cheshire Cat is cool looking, even slightly creepy too. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:50 pm
Awweeesooome... I'd love to get a glimpse into the movie designers to see how much time they spend on character design for things like that. *_*  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

l Sailor Lupus l

5,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:12 am
i just saw the newest trailer for it, and the story has definitely changed. Its more like the Syfy "alice", cause she gets proposed to, doesn't know what to say, and runs off, and goes down the rabbit hole.

Its more like everyone wants to recruit Alice in the war against the queen. So, although story has changed, its not to say that kids wont watch it. I have three young cousins, and they will probably want to see it...although i'm going to see it first just in case. Cause the jabberwock and such may frighten children.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:14 am
Chairo Sohma
For the most part, I'm excited to see what Tim Burton will come up with. I think it may be easier to watch if I completely separate it in my mind from the AiW I've known and loved, and just see the movie as a whole new thing.

My major fear is that it will end up like another over-commercialized Twilight. *Shudder*

One thing I'm grateful for is that the plot isn't supposed to follow the original story exactly. There are far too many of those already. I absolutely love how the Cheshire cat looks in the new movie. heart

if it does end up like Twilight (hopefully it wont)...we'll just have to show the posers who the real fans are.  

l Sailor Lupus l

5,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200

Irish Stout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 am
Blind Ragdoll2010
Chairo Sohma

if it does end up like Twilight (hopefully it wont)...we'll just have to show the posers who the real fans are.

Please don't use AiW as a basis for elitism. I'd rather see people loving Carrol's works/adaptations and including anyone who shows an interest in the joy of it instead of rudely excluding people because they may not meet your personal "fan-enough" rating.  
The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games