Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adults Gaia Anonymous

Back to Guilds

A guild for adult gaians 20 or older. 

Tags: Adult, Mature, friendly, 20 and older, older 

Reply Adults Gaia Anonymous
A.G.A. Chatter Box Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... 1775 1776 1777 1778 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

thistle7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:18 pm
Sagitarian_Insomniac
Hi Jack! 3nodding

tee hee! that is almost as good as saying "hi gene" get it, hygene?

OH.. help, my sides hurt! rofl rofl rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:21 pm
Hi Jack ^^

What an insightful post matt, I know I do get frustrated sometimes but when you put it in context it really is amazing how creative and hard working the team really is.  

Rajeshri Anjal

Sagitarian_Insomniac

Fashionable Hunter

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:57 pm
Love the new pic on the opening guild page, I wanted to pick those items right off that tree!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:47 pm
kool ken
When Gaia says multiple servers, how many are we talking about?

Well... It's not *how many* as much as *horsepower*... They don't say how many servers they have (but I would imagine at least a half-dozen very beefy machines, a couple load-balancers to make sure they're all utilized about equally, and a couple of smaller servers which only serve the static stuff...), but just throwing more hardware at the problem will generally only mask the problem, at best.

The time to throw more hardware at a problem is before a problem exists. 3nodding Otherwise, you're just postponing the inevitable and making it worse. I suspect their goal is likely to get at least a minor infrastructure upgrade before the holiday season begins.

Considering how decently the service is performing with the massive load of these Halloween events, if they do that and fix what they've identified from this event, Christmas may be nothing but sweets for Gaia. heart

But, real life is gonna rear its ugly head. Murphy's Law indicates that. wink So, as long as we're getting our money's worth, I'm happy! (Indeed, I've only been on Gaia a short time, but I've made it a point to buy quite a few collectibles to show my support, and because it's more stable than many for-pay games!)  

MattLewellyn

MattLewellyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:50 pm
Sagitarian_Insomniac
Love the new pic on the opening guild page, I wanted to pick those items right off that tree!

Yeah... Looks like Christmas is coming! heart Is there a list of requested donations somewhere to facilitate contests? I feel generous at the moment... 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:23 pm
Awww how sweet, I'm not sure but there should be for us poor white girls!  

Sagitarian_Insomniac

Fashionable Hunter

1,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Suasorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:26 pm
Sagitarian_Insomniac
Hi Jack! 3nodding

-Glomp- First glomp-strike! ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:33 pm
MattLewellyn
Sagitarian_Insomniac

Yeah... Looks like Christmas is coming! heart Is there a list of requested donations somewhere to facilitate contests? I feel generous at the moment... 3nodding

November is Donations Month, hence the theme of the front page. I don't think we have a list but if you wish to donate to the guild, just send a trade to the guild account, Klioss.  

Rogue Angel Kiara

Rogue Angel Kiara

Devoted Darling

21,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

craftymama

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:54 pm
MattLewellyn
kool ken

Well... It's not *how many* as much as *horsepower*... They don't say how many servers they have (but I would imagine at least a half-dozen very beefy machines, a couple load-balancers to make sure they're all utilized about equally, and a couple of smaller servers which only serve the static stuff...), but just throwing more hardware at the problem will generally only mask the problem, at best.

The time to throw more hardware at a problem is before a problem exists. 3nodding Otherwise, you're just postponing the inevitable and making it worse. I suspect their goal is likely to get at least a minor infrastructure upgrade before the holiday season begins.

Considering how decently the service is performing with the massive load of these Halloween events, if they do that and fix what they've identified from this event, Christmas may be nothing but sweets for Gaia. heart

But, real life is gonna rear its ugly head. Murphy's Law indicates that. wink So, as long as we're getting our money's worth, I'm happy! (Indeed, I've only been on Gaia a short time, but I've made it a point to buy quite a few collectibles to show my support, and because it's more stable than many for-pay games!)

Wow MattLewellyn, that first post was pretty geek but you've redeemed yourself here. Being able to speak so eloquently in geek (a compliment) and then to make such a smooth transition into quoting Murphy's Law. Nice. I loved that. I agree with Rajeshri Anjal that it was nice to hear some positivity for once.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:31 am
thistle7
Sagitarian_Insomniac
Hi Jack! 3nodding

tee hee! that is almost as good as saying "hi gene" get it, hygene?

OH.. help, my sides hurt! rofl rofl rofl
lol 4laugh  

JoeEuphonium

JoeEuphonium

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:34 am
Rogue Angel Kiara
MattLewellyn
Sagitarian_Insomniac

November is Donations Month, hence the theme of the front page. I don't think we have a list but if you wish to donate to the guild, just send a trade to the guild account, Klioss.
yes i like the front page...all that gold got me drollin! hehehehe >.<  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:40 am
craftymama
MattLewellyn
kool ken

Wow MattLewellyn, that first post was pretty geek but you've redeemed yourself here. Being able to speak so eloquently in geek (a compliment) and then to make such a smooth transition into quoting Murphy's Law. Nice. I loved that. I agree with Rajeshri Anjal that it was nice to hear some positivity for once.
Awww Matts a cool kat! He's just got smarts to back it heheheh! Yeah Matt give me five! *high fives matt* I agree with what you say. How ever I am pretty sure these guys make big bucks. I mean I know I fork over the cash every month... i keep asking myself why? But I haven't found a good answer or a good reason lol hehehehe. Also I'm sure..or hope.. that they make a bundle with all the advertising they do with stuff that the advertise like the movies and anime series.  

JoeEuphonium

pretty leela

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:53 am
Tha Chica Lana
wow! sounds like you guys are having fun lol...I'm really busy now so I might drop in every few days

aww, lana, i was just thinking how less of you i was seeing the past few days... hope you're doing great!^^  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:59 am
Aww... you all make me blush! redface heart

Joe, some back-of-the napkin calculations, based on what I know of prices for services and goods that they'd need, general salaries for the area, what they've stated about how many staff they have, and guesstimates of daily data transfer, they probably are in need of a steady supply of more cash to keep Gaia growing...

They're walking that fine line between "Hey, guys? We need money to survive, so anything you can give would make things better for you and us!" and "Gimmee moneez NOW!" At least they're doing it tastefully. The only ads I find truly obnoxious on the site are the VJ ads. But, luckily, those show up off-screen for me, usually! wink (Don't tell the advertisers!)

And, Joe, sure... You and I can give physical cash to Gaia... But most of those who aren't old enough to join AGA have to make the tough choices in the world! "Hm... Gaia cash card? Or a week of hanging out at Starbucks with my popular friends?" Gaia's "pay-what-you-will" model works out great, in that sense. Teenagers (their core word-of-mouth marketers) can play for free. And those who can afford to give hard-earned cash will give as much as we feel the service is "worth"...

In the end, it kinda evens out, provided they can add enough value to keep those able to pay, paying. If they can add enough value that they make enough to hire more people to make new and unique things more often (and better-tested, perhaps!), then everyone benefits. (And the lower-paid staff may eventually get a raise! lol ) I'm very sure that most Gaia staff don't make "big bucks"; most of the corporate income likely goes to infrastructure; things like: electricity, telecommunications [read: bandwidth and telephone], hardware maintenance, rent for the office and server space, etc...

And I'm fairly certain that they aren't running PC-grade computers as their servers, a la Google. I'd be fairly confident in putting money on them using $150K+ servers as their main boxes... Better overall performance and less administration cost than 150 $1K boxes! Regardless of how they go about procuring their servers, they're not cheap.

Anyhow, I'm rambling again. redface I'm not trying to come across as "The Great Defender" or anything. It's just that most people seem to forget (when things go wrong) that there are real people making real decisions with real money behind the scenes. And sometimes, those decisions aren't necessarily the best. But Gaia seems to be doing more right than wrong. smile So, I'm hoping to provide insight into the generalities behind how something like Gaia ticks.

It's truly awe-inspiring that something like this can exist... 20 years ago, people would have claimed that you were reading too much sci-fi... "HA! A virtual world where you can be a Japanese animation character? You can shop using either real money or the in-world currency (which is useless outside the world)? You can make friends all over the physical world? And it's all real-time? And it works on almost any computer, without installing special software? Oh, it's best to use a computer with more RAM than anyone will ever have, and a network connection faster than any on ARPANET... Sure... And you say that all interaction is in real-time, with 100K users on at once! HAHAHAHA!"

With enough money to keep innovating, who knows where Gaia will be in a few years? The teens are going to eventually become adults... With disposable incomes and a guilty conscience... Making Gaia grow even better! biggrin I certainly hope to be along for the ride!  

MattLewellyn

kool ken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:47 am
Good afternoon! 3nodding  
Adults Gaia Anonymous

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... 1775 1776 1777 1778 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games