Back to Guilds

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Dumbledore's Army, Marauders, Magic 

Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
Sixth Year Potions (SPOILER-POLL TOO) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which of these is &quot;Liquid Luck&quot;? (Please answer before reading posts)
Felix Felicis
100%
 100%  [ 36 ]
Draught of Living Death
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Amortentia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Polyjuice
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Veritaserum
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 36

chompygirl692

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:18 am
Harry should keep that book all throughout his magic life! It's a great book that could help with Snape's notes on the side!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:49 am
chompygirl692
Harry should keep that book all throughout his magic life! It's a great book that could help with Snape's notes on the side!

I would keep it. After finidng out it was Snape's book though I might have some problems using it. But I would never give it away...

Isotropes

Magnetic Conversationalist

Zoey Mikaela

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:18 pm
I agree with everyone else here. Hermione was only wanted to do his own work, as it is better to learn on your own than copy someone else's work. She was just looking out for Harry.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:21 pm
kawaiiMireille-chan
I agree with everyone else here. Hermione was only wanted to do his own work, as it is better to learn on your own than copy someone else's work. She was just looking out for Harry.

I disagree. He was doing his own work, he was brewing his own potions and whatnot, he just had better instructions. It's not like it's really going to effect how much he learns, he wasn't going to learn much Potions anyway, and he probably learned more from the Prince then he would have otherwise.  

Empress_Kat
Crew

Isotropes

Magnetic Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:12 am
Empress_Kat
kawaiiMireille-chan

I disagree. He was doing his own work, he was brewing his own potions and whatnot, he just had better instructions. It's not like it's really going to effect how much he learns, he wasn't going to learn much Potions anyway, and he probably learned more from the Prince then he would have otherwise.

Did he really learn? I think he didn't really take into accord what he was doing, just did it. He didn't seem to look into why by doing each steep as the Prince said he was improving the potion... I personally think he learned less, and was more ignorant. As much as I love Harry... I think he just slacked off because of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:27 pm
I agree. Harry did seem to start slacking off because of the Prince's help. Hermione's right in saying that harry should be doing the work himself. While he did remember the beazor, he really didn't remember anything else that had to do with potions. It was only the spells that he really focused on. He used the hints with potions, not really paying attention to what he was doing.  

Fuzziball Fai
Fezziwig Jr

Scrappy Pilot

King_me_Macabre

5,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:57 am
Yeah Harry was getitng help from the so called Half Blodded-Prince, but I would have loved that lucky liquid, I need that in real life, it sorta sucks tho, because snape found out what book he was using when he casted the spectruma spell on malfoy.Hermonie wasn't use to being the secound best.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:20 pm
horsey1000
Hermonie wasn't use to being the secound best.

Exactly. People keep saying she was looking out for Harry's best interests, but really, I think she was just jealous that shw wasn't top of the class. One of her friends was doing better then her at something, and she didn't want that.

I liked Hermione quite a lot before HBP, but now she kind of annoys me.  

Empress_Kat
Crew

Ellamir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:53 pm
horsey1000
Yeah Harry was getitng help from the so called Half Blodded-Prince, but I would have loved that lucky liquid, I need that in real life, it sorta sucks tho, because snape found out what book he was using when he casted the spectruma spell on malfoy.Hermonie wasn't use to being the secound best.
um excuse me im just gonna correct here a bit. : half blood prince not half blooded. and sectumsempra not spectruma. and that lucky liquid is called felix felicis.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:40 am
horsey1000
Hermonie wasn't use to being the secound best.

well, finally someone pointed it out. lol. xd
I thought Hermione was a little sensitive about the Potions book because finally, someone proved to be better than her. I know it sounds a bit selfish but she had been on the top of their class for quite some time, and is probably a bit proud to admit that someone who used to write in their Potions book is better than her...I think that's also the reason she was so keen to find the identity of the Half Blood Prince.  

wicked_08

Sumurika

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:50 pm
BeeBrittney
Empress_Kat
kawaiiMireille-chan

Did he really learn? I think he didn't really take into accord what he was doing, just did it. He didn't seem to look into why by doing each steep as the Prince said he was improving the potion... I personally think he learned less, and was more ignorant. As much as I love Harry... I think he just slacked off because of it.

OoOoOoh!!! I actually have an answer for this! XD
Spoiler:
I say yes, that Harry did learn something. He had actually learned before reading the book as well (I'm confusing, I know). All the book said regarding the bezoar was "stick a bezoar down their throat" or something like that (my frind is borrowing the book, I don't have it at the moment). Harry knew what a bezoar was, for if he didn't know what it was, he culdn't have got it.
Also, when Ron accidently drank Slughorn's poisioned whatever it was, Harry knew exactly what to do: get a bezoar. If he hadn't have read the potions book, he wouldn't have thought to use it. So, technichally, he DID learn something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:24 pm
mostly i think the book was good because it helped harry in potions. but how could he have been so stupid to actually use the spells without knowing what they did?!? I mean he almost killed malfoy! which i mean i wouldnt miss malfoy but still!  

Ellamir

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 pm
User Image
This is a really old topic but it caught my eye, and I notice that my main reason for not having a problem with Harry using the HBP's book was never brought up...

Hermione was following the instructions of a textbook. It's not as though she were brewing the potions on her own off the top of her head. The only difference between what she was doing and what Harry was doing was that his instructions weren't the 'official' way to make the potion. Just because there is an 'official' way to brew a potion doesn't make it the only way. And there's nothing wrong with having help.

I think that her whole issue with the ordeal was pride and fear. Pride because she was mad that Harry was doing better than she was when she had always been the smart one, and fear because she was afraid of not following the instructions correctly. I think that perhaps she was scared that if she didn't follow the book's instructions, that something bad would happen, like it would blow up. I mean, it makes sense. If you make even the smallest mistake, something could go wrong, so it stands to reason that not following the directions provided would cause some sort of problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:45 pm
I would just like to say that I can see both points of view. I can see why Hermoine would get touchy about Harry using the HBP's book because he was taking credit for it and where Hermoine had to work hard to get the grades. At the same time I can see Harry's point of view because not everything in books are correct even if they are "official" or not. After the fight with Draco, Harry hid the book and didn't use it again. Remember the spell was under the topic For Enemies. I think most people would think if it says for enemies that what ever it is would be bad.  

steeler_fan_7

Stanitalene

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:39 pm
Hermione was right for being upset with Harry. He was cheating!!! It wouldn't be fair to someone like her who's dedicated and who works hard to do things right when Harry is doing it right the wrong way.  
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff