Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:48 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
Swearing is not a sin. There is nowhere in the Bible that would suggest otherwise. In fact, Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount tell us that it is our intentions that cause what we say to be sin or not.

<3

Indeed. However, we should keep in mind that swearing just because we can is not a respectful thing. Especially in front of strangers/children.
A good rule is to ask yourself "Would I say this in the presence of The Lord/Jesus?"

If the answer is "no" you probably shouldn't be doing/saying that thing.

<3

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:16 am
MonosodiumGlutamate
Cometh The Inquisitor
Swearing is not a sin. There is nowhere in the Bible that would suggest otherwise. In fact, Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount tell us that it is our intentions that cause what we say to be sin or not.

<3

Indeed. However, we should keep in mind that swearing just because we can is not a respectful thing. Especially in front of strangers/children.
A good rule is to ask yourself "Would I say this in the presence of The Lord/Jesus?"

<3

agreed 3nodding  

pnai_pride777

GO-YAFFA

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:15 pm
I think you have to reflect about it and make your own judgement call about it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:20 pm
I really do feel sad that swearing has become as socially acceptable as it has. Yet they are still considered rude and vulgar by most (or at least where I live) Why would you want to say something that you know offends so many?
Quote:

Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

1 Peter 3:10 "For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech."

James 3:9-12 "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."

Forgotten_Skys

Daughter of Thin Cut

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:37 pm
WWJD
What would Jesus Do?
Would he say those things?
If you're still not sure, pray and ask God about it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:41 pm
Whether or not is says it in the Bible, the main point of not cursing is to give Christian's a good image. No one's going to take religion seriously if it's defended by a bunch of sailor tongued followers.  

reves de tournesols

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:09 pm
MonosodiumGlutamate

<3

People tell me this all the time, yet I have no problems swearing in my prayers to G-d. They are exclamatory words that add emphasis to sentences.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:20 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
tep
I actually have a question about this too.

Ok, before my teen years, I was told that saying the word 'Hell' before I got Baptized is a sin and that I would go there if I said it. Ever since about a week ago, I decided to start saying it and now that I think about it, I am not to sure I should.

So, someone please tell me if this is true or not.

Are you allowed to say hell when reading the Bible out loud?

rolleyes
No, but I figured that that was an exception.  

tep

Benevolent Prophet

Forgotten_Skys

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:33 pm
tep
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
tep
I actually have a question about this too.

Ok, before my teen years, I was told that saying the word 'Hell' before I got Baptized is a sin and that I would go there if I said it. Ever since about a week ago, I decided to start saying it and now that I think about it, I am not to sure I should.

So, someone please tell me if this is true or not.

Are you allowed to say hell when reading the Bible out loud?

rolleyes
No, but I figured that that was an exception.

Hell when used in the right context is not a swear word, as well as a**. With words like that it really depends on your state of mind. If you are meaning them to be vulgar, or rude, or perhaps are using them inapropriately then I believe that it is wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:31 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
MonosodiumGlutamate

<3

People tell me this all the time, yet I have no problems swearing in my prayers to G-d. They are exclamatory words that add emphasis to sentences.

<3

Well, do what you'd like. I'm not The Lord, so I won't judge you.

<3

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

SUPERSQUIRRELX

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:42 am
Personally, I don't have a problem with it because the Bible doesn't really condenm it. Except for taking the Lord's name in vain. But I mean you don't want to lead other Christians astray and screw up your testimony to people because they think your a hypocrite.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:05 am
If we are Christians, we have the Spirit of the Lord inside us, and we are His temple. Would you go into the Temple in Jerusalem and stand there cursing? You might get burned up like Nadab and Abihu! Our God is Holy (Set Apart, Uncommon, Not Like Other gods), and He has rules about how to act in His presence. We walk in His presence daily. Let the Spirit guide you in this.  

chatula

sunshinehearttrob

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:59 pm
"bloody" is considered a cuss word in england. thats why its double bad to combine it with hell. i dont think, swearing is good for christians. i repeat NO !! its just not a good model for others. i am currently working on self-control, one of the fruits of the spirit. Galentians... limiting my use of swear words and all.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:19 pm
Honestly, I think God has better things to worry about than what you scream when you stub your toe.  

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

JoyRose

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:33 pm
Jesus pointed out that what comes out of our mouths is very important. If we use language that offends others deliberately, we are not acting as Jesus would have us act. Words are very powerful and should be chosen carefully. On the other hand, sometimes bad ones do slip out (as bad habits do crop up in other areas of our lives) and we can only ask forgiveness and move on.

I'm trying to compile a list of words and phrases I can use when I feel like cussing that are not offensive, but are still satisfying to say. My current favorite for when I'm frustrated and irritation is mounting beyond all reason, is "Irrational irritation!" because not only is it a satisfying jumble of sounds, but it reminds me that my irritation is indeed becoming irrational and it's time to calm down. Another favorite is "God bless it!" (instead of d*mn it) so even in my anger I'm blessing and not cursing.

Good luck and God bless!  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces