BlackPidgeot

Animal Trainer

8,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Fluff Rehab 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:22 pm
To Duke Leon Auguste de Valois II,

My name is Asch, and I am a close colleague and friend to your sister.

I must regretfully inform you that Aila has passed away during a particularly dangerous mission in the field. It was one of her final wishes that I send you this letter. Unfortunately I was not with her in her final moments and can not give you explicit details. However, I do know that she died honorably protecting another one of her colleagues.

Your sister meant a great deal to myself and many others, and she will be missed. I hope you will forgive the impersonality of this letter, and the fact that I was unable to prevent her death. I can only offer my condolences.

Sincerely,

Asch  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:56 pm
Suffering Alone (Takes place a few days after Mama's Boys)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The funeral had been pretty much what he had expected. There was a gathering of family, relatives he hadn't seen since his childhood, as well as politicians, and close friends to his mother and the family. Far too many people for his liking really, and Asch had kept to himself as much as possible.

Still, he could feel their eyes on him from time to time. It was the first time that anyone in Grande Ile had seen the two Fabre boys together, and how much they looked alike. Word had spread like wildfire about their story. Certainly not the publicity their father had wanted for the family, but it was unavoidable at this point. He could hear their murmurings too, whispers of the lost boy having returned home. The "real" Luke fon Fabre. Asch had to fight hard to keep from lashing out. Knowing all too well that it would not look good for the family, and he was determined to remain respectful during his mother's memorial service.

Still, he uttered not a word unless he was required to. He participated in the lighting of the candles. Was there next to Luke when their mother was laid to rest. But he shrank away from the prying eyes and from those who supposedly wanted to offer condolences. He wanted nothing to do with them. Their empty words were of no comfort. After all, he knew their type. His father took note of this as well. Concerned and perturbed with his son's withdrawn nature that went beyond grieving.

Thus the day after the funeral, Asch was called into his father's study. He had already started making preparations to leave with Luke, back to Kodo. However, he knew that his father wouldn't let him go so easily, and expected this meeting. Coming into the large office, Asch stood before his father who was seated behind the desk.

His father started, looking solemn and tired, undoubtably from his own grief, but still serious. "Luke, I don't much care to bring this up so soon after your mother's passing. However, it has been years since you've been home, and already you're planning to leave."

"The answer is no," Asch interrupted in the middle of Lord Fabre's speech, gaining a blink of surprise from the older man.

"Excuse me?"

"You want me to stay don't you? To resume my role as the heir to the Fabre household."

Crimson sighed as his son went straight to the point. However, he stood and clasped his hands behind his back. "Luke, it has brought me great joy to see you again, as it did your mother. I am glad you have decided to come home, but yes, there is a future to think about."

Asch snorted slightly and broke his eye contact with his father, looking away. "If you were so concerned about my future, you would have considered that before I was kidnapped. Your only worry is about the family name."

Those words stung, and Lord Fabre frowned. "I admit I have made mistakes in the past, and for that I am sorry. But you do have a future here, at home. It's what your mother would have wanted, Luke."

Anger flashed in Asch's eyes as he turned to look back at his father with a glare. "I know full well what mother would have wanted! The answer is still the same!"

"Luke, please reconsider! It is your duty and obligation to carry on the family name and title!"

Asch's hands quickly balled up into fists. "Stop calling me that! You took that name away from me when you gave it to my brother! He is Luke fon Fabre, and he is your heir!"

The muscles in his father's jaw twitched as the man began to visibly look upset while his son shouted at him. "Stop this nonsense, Luke! You know full well that your brother is unwell! Would you give up on your family now?!"

Asch paused, that question weighing heavily on him. A part of him wanted so badly to listen to his father. To return home for good, to stay and pick up where he left off. He loved his family, he loved his country, and politics had always fascinated him. But no, that wasn't possible anymore. His life had taken a different turn since he was 10 years old. He couldn't go back, not now, not ever.

"Why not? You were the one to give up on me."

Asch could see the hurt in his father's eyes just before he turned and started to walk out.

"L-Luke! Come back! I am your father, I command you to come back!"

But Asch didn't listen and simply walked out the door. There was nothing left to do here. He would be leaving this manor. Possibly forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boat trip back to Kodo was uneventful, and even more awkward than the trip over. Asch said nothing to Luke, keeping his distance and seeking to be alone as much as he could.

When they reached the mainland, they parted ways. Luke going back to his friends who would be there to comfort and support him. While Asch returned to the Rocket base, where he checked in and made plans to resume duty. Friendless and alone, Asch secluded himself in his quarters in his off hours to mourn in solitude. The ache was almost unbearable, but he went on. Outwardly pretending that nothing had happened. Keeping the pain and grief to himself as he went back to his day to day routine.  

BlackPidgeot

Animal Trainer

8,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Fluff Rehab 200

BlackPidgeot

Animal Trainer

8,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Fluff Rehab 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:26 pm
Greater Love Hath No Man
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the moment he'd left Luke's bedside, Asch knew what he had to do. Since he had known about his brother's condition, a part of him had known this might have to be done. Still, that didn't mean he was prepared for it. How could he be? He had left a bewildered Dove in the waiting room and rushed away, back to the HQ, to begin his preparations.

Waiting until the hour was unusually late, Asch had gathered what was important. This included his sword, violin (which he had played one last time while waiting for things in the base to simmer down), and a note he had written. Then slipped out of the base. There was no one there he was close to. No one who would care enough if he went missing. Thus he didn't even bother leaving a note for them to find when those in his department started missing him. Taking his Rapidash and the few belongings he carried, Asch disappeard into the night. Never to return to the Team Rocket Headquarters.

He had already taked to Saber about this, and the Zoroark had grimly accepted it. The Pokemon knew that his master had decided, and that this was the only course of action. For as long as he'd known him, Asch had lived with hatred and bitterness towards the world. This anger was what fueled him, what kept him going, even in the most trying situation. But since he had met his twin, the young man had begun to change. His anger slipping away little by little, leaving little more than misery. Instead of the dedicated Rocket that he was, he now only wanted to live a normal life. A life that was now out of reach. There was no hope, and only one way of escape.

The next day, Asch put all of his belongs into a storage unit. Save for his Pokemon and the clothes he wore on his back, his usual outfit from Grande Ile. He had then gone to the park, taking up his usual place near the water, to stand and watch the horizon. The wind tossing his hair, he closed his eyes, mentally preparing himself for what he had to do. A part of him hoped, longed, for Natalia to come by. To talk to him, maybe even convince him that there was another way. Or just... to say goodbye. Unfortunately, she never came, and he hadn't really expected her or anyone else to. He had purposely alienated himself from most people after all. Not wanting to become attached or have others get attached to him. He was a Rocket after all, and he didn't want anyone to suffer on his behalf.

After treating himself to his favorite dish at his favorite restaurant, Asch watched the sunset on what was meant to be his final day. Memories flooding through his mind. Of a younger version of himself and a little girl, standing on a grassy hillside, holding hands while making promises to each other. Promises that he wouldn't be able to keep, or at least, not the way she had hoped. Upon rising from the table and leaving the restaurant, the city was now dark, and the roll of distant thunder promised rain to come. Asch walked the streets as if on a mission, seeking out a certain person.

----

After spending time in the hospital, Yuri had left with Dove per her request for him to stay wtih her that night. He had agreed, with a bit of reluctance, knowing that the girl was in a fragile state at the moment and she could use some support. Once they had entered the apartment, something caught Yuri's eye. A piece of paper was slipped under the door, and he could hear the sound of footsteps hurrying away. While Dove wasn't looking, he snatched up the paper and excused himself into the guest room. Upon reading it, he crumbled the sheet and stuffed it in his pocket.

Later that night, he lie awake, staring at the ceiling with his arms folded behind his head. Once he was certain that Dove was asleep, he arose, grabbed his sword, and stepped out. Again it was late, and alone, even leaving Repede behind, Yuri went down a lonely alley and paused. The sky had opened up and began to drizzle lightly. "Great," he muttered to himself, just before hearing those footsteps again. With a sigh and a hand on his hip, he didn't even bother turning to greet the oncomer.

"Shouldn't you be with your brother?"

"It's because of him that I asked you to come here," came the reply as Asch stepped forward.

This got Yuri's attention and he turned halfway to look back at the young man who looked almost exactly like the one in the hospital. "Yeah?"

"I have a favor to ask of you," the young man replied, his face seriously grave.

Yuri folded his arms and now faced Asch completely. He did owe this guy for bringing back his sword, so he waited to hear him out.

"My brother needs a heart transplant. I'm sure that you're aware of that. None have been forthcoming, and he'll die any day without one. So I intend to make a donation."

Yuri blinked once, puzzled, until the reality of the statement struck him. His expression going from surprise, to disgust and a severe frown. He studied the young man's face, looking for any sign that this was a joke. He found none.

"Okay, I see that you're serious, but do you really think that's going to fly? Sounds pretty stupid if you ask me."

"Tch," Asch looked away, clearly conflicted as he was confronted with the wisdom of this decision. "I didn't ask you for your opinion!" he snapped. "I'm asking you to help me."

"To help you kill yourself?" Yuri shot back. "Sorry, I'm not in the business of assisted suicide."

"I'm going to do it whether you help me or not, but you're the only one I could come to," Asch said cooly, his fists clenching at his side. "I... I don't want to die."

Yuri stiffened, remembering when he heard those exact same words from Luke.

"But if I don't then he will! I don't expect you to understand, but his life is more important."

Yuri scowled, "You're right, I don't get it. But I do understand that you're an idiot." He then closed his eyes in a sigh, folding his arms. "Damn, what is it with your family." Were they all like this? Belittling and punishing themselves all the time? He wanted to refuse, to turn around and walk away. This was ridiculous. ... But. Luke's words kept ringing in his ears. And what he had said back to him.

"You're not going to die."

"That'd probably be a miracle."

"Then I guess we'll just have to find a miracle."

And here was one standing right in front of him. He had promised Luke that they would find a way. Yuri clenched his teeth for a moment, conflicted, then looked back up at Asch. "So if you'd do it anyway, then why do you need me?"

The red head just looked back at him with a piercing expression that told him a lot. "All right, I gotcha," he said quietly.

"So then you'll help me," Asch ventured.

"Yeah, but only to save Luke," Yuri countered.

Asch then stepped forward and handed Yuri an envelope. "What's this?" asked the raven haired man as he took it.

"A letter. Make sure it gets to Luke." He then pulled out another one, "This one's to make it clear that I did this myself." A brief suicide note, also detailing that he wanted his heart to go to his brother. He placed that back in his own pocket.

There was a moment of awkward silence, and then Asch pulled out the dagger he usually carried with him.

Wearing an unreadable expression, Yuri swore to himself mentally. He couldn't believe he was going through with this. But... he couldn't really refuse. For whatever twisted reasons, this was a man wanting to save his brother. It took a lot of guts to do something like this. But he'd seen the guy's pain as well, and he couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

As the dagger came out of its holster, Yuri's sword was unsheathed as well. The dim light reflecting off the bright steel of both blades. He waited for the other's lead, refusing to act until he did. This was Asch's decision, and Yuri would give him opportunity to back out if he wanted.

Asch stared at the blade for some time, internalizing what this would mean if he followed through. Luke would live, yes, but at what cost? That dreck would undoubtably take it hard, as would his father, and... Natalia. But then, Luke's death would be just as costly, if not moreso. If Luke perished, it would spell disaster. He would be the only one remaining to be the family heir. He was a member of Team Rocket, and if he did take his place as heir, that could give the criminal organization a foothold in the politics of his country. Perhaps that had been Van's motive all along, even. However, that was not something he could ever allow. Asch loved his family and his country, and it would torture him to be without them, yet it would to willingly cause their ruin as well. Luke had to be the heir. There was no other way. Asch would never be happy no matter how things went, yet Luke had a chance despite it all.

With that thought in mind, Asch raised the blade. His hand trembling as he did so. Biting his lip and closing his eyes, he attempted to steel himself. Yuri patiently waited on standby, his blade held ready as he stood in silence. It was then that the rain began to fall harder.

He had to do this.

Gripping the blade firmly, his face now set in resolve, Asch swiftly plunged the dagger into his stomach. It was immediately followed by Yuri's sword into his side. Green eyes flew open wide upon the sickening sound of metal sinking into flesh. Pain flaring through his entire body.

Asch sputtered and coughed, staggered and began to fall forward. Yuri caught him, pulling the sword out and then the dagger. The pair of them sinking to their knees as Asch began to go through the throes of death.

Blood oozed from the corner of his mouth, and poured from the wounds, as again he coughed. His life literally draining out of him. And in that moment, Asch's life began to flash before his eyes. His father's proud, strong figure, of whom he had always tried to model after when he was young. The sparring with the one who taught him how to use the sword. The laughter of that little blonde girl filling his ears, while images of her smiling face appeared in his mind, holding her hand out to him. An older blonde boy who ruffled his hair fondly. Then his mother's kind face, and the memories of when she would brush his hair and hold him close. Then of course there was his Pokemon, Saber and Tyke. Finally his own brother that he had hated for so long.

As Asch's body trembled, Yuri held fast to him. He wasn't close to this guy, but he'd be damned if he just let him die alone without someone to be there for him. The blood pooled around them, the rain diluting it and causing it to run down the alleyway and into a nearby storm drain. With a shudder and a gasp, Asch's head fell upon his shoulder. Strangled words coming from his throat as he spoke to the man with him.

"D-don't let that... idiot...blame himself," Asch managed to get out.

Yuri was silent, for that would be easier said than done, but he sure as hell would try.

Staring vacantly at the ground, Asch's vision began to fade. The darkness beginning to close in around him. In his final moments, the sound of his mother's voice came to him, singing that song as if lulling him to sleep. Green eyes, now dull, fluttered shut, his ragged breaths becoming shallower with each moment. A soft, contented smile appearing on his face just before his body went limp. He was coming home.

---

Sitting there in the rain for some moments after Asch's body had gone still, Yuri knew that it was over. It would now be a race against time to get to the hospital and get that transplant for Luke. Gathering the young man's body into his arms, Yuri rose from the pavement, leaving the blades hidden.
He then ran as fast as he could go, carrying the weight in his arms through the driving rain. One life was lost, but another would be saved.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:38 pm
Final Message

The following is written in elegant handwriting that is distinctively Asch's.

If you're reading this, Dreck, then that means I'm dead.

You're probably reacting in some pretty stupid way about it too. Get over it. This was my decision, and I'll do whatever I damn please.

When you and your friends tried to convince me to leave Team Rocket, I refused because there is no way to leave. Anyone considered a traitor is hunted down and killed. You were right, I never wanted to join or be a part of it, but this was the only way I could ever escape on my own terms.

I was brought into the organization by my kidnapper. I felt like my family had rejected me in favor of you, and because of that, I followed him. I admired him. He was my teacher, and a second father, or so I thought. Still, I hated my life and everything about it. I was angry at you for stealing it from me, and I used that anger to keep going. It wasn't until you showed up in Kodo that things started to change. You reintroduced me to our family and friends, and I couldn't hate you anymore. Now, I can't stand to be in Team Rocket anymore.

I didn't decide to end my life because I didn't like it. I want to live just as much as anyone else. But I can't let you die either. Not just because you're my brother, but to save the family name. If I was to do what father asked and become heir to House Fabre, my connections with Team Rocket would give them access to the politics of Grande Ile. That can't happen.

Just because I'm gone, and Team Rocket has been quiet lately, doesn't mean that you and your friends are out of danger. There are agents all around you, in more places than you can possibly know. Izaya Orihara, also called Nakura, is one of them. Don't trust that guy within an inch of your life. Also, don't trust Rosie's sister, or Van for that matter. Especially Van, because he's the one that kidnapped me nine years ago.

I've left all that I own to you. I've put it all in a storage facility in downtown Camphoreon next to the Pokemon Center. The locker is #121 and the combination code is 35-23-18. Do whatever you want with it. I do ask that you keep Saber and Tyke, my Zoroark and Zorua. We've been through a lot together. They were both part of an experiment to combine human and Pokemon DNA, mine with a Zorua's. They would do best in your care. Also, the Pidgeotto, Gui, can only understand French. Havoc is the Rapidash and he will have to go to someone who can handle him.

I know I've put a lot of crap on you, but this was the only way. Be careful, and don't do anymore stupid things! You're the only one that father has now. Also, take care of Natalia for me. Finally, I want to buried next to mother.

My name and my heart are now yours, and you had better use them well!

Your Brother,

Luke fon Fabre

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The name at the end is written like a signature with flowing cursive letters.  

BlackPidgeot

Animal Trainer

8,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Journals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers