Welcome to Gaia! ::

-:: Multilingualism ::-

Back to Guilds

Want to learn another language? Come on in and see if we can help you. 

Tags: Language, International 

Reply -:: Multilingualism ::-
What are your summer language-related plans? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

?
  I will waste my time this year....too.
  I will complete what I've started recent years!
  I will start learning another language.
View Results

Okier - chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:16 am
Work on my japanese, Korean, and Mandarin I guess.
Maybe add some french reading and dutch lessons to the list ~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 am
Okier - chan

That'll be a hard hard summer!  

Puuya

Noble Citizen

12,025 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Gaian 50

Seinaru ite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:52 am
I went to a different library than I usually do, it's a bit farther away but it has a lot of books for foreign languages. I checked out at least one book for each language I'm learning. A textbook for Mandarin and Korean since I'm still a beginner at those. A book of short stories, and even better, a Garfield book in Spanish. xd And then Harry Potter in Japanese.

I had good intentions but so far things aren't going so well. I breezed through the Garfield book and these short stories are boring. I've read through a few chapters in Harry Potter but it's really discouraging how slowly I read through it. And then with Mandarin and Korean, I need to learn last lesson's vocabulary to continue to the next lesson. But the thing is that I'm buried in overdue Anki cards so I can't get around to learning the new vocabulary. Whenever I sit down to do Anki I get distracted. crying  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:22 am
Puuya
Colonel Gabrielle

Well, yes, I will 8D But last summer I kind of didn't do anything, and that was really boring :/

I guess it'll be how my summer will pass this year!

Duh, sometimes we need some rest from all the working, right? ;D
I planned on doing nothing as well, but back then I didn't know studying German would be this hard xDD  

Colonel Gabrielle

Beloved Conversationalist

9,250 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100

iNob

Omnipresent Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:34 pm
Puuya
iNob
Finish a couple of books in Spanish. Mainly Ficciones by Borges and La isla bajo el mar by Isabel Allende. The latter is not my cup of tea, but it has a decent Central American/Caribbean Spanish lexicon.

Besides that I want to start learning the basics of Italian so I am decently prepared for the fall. IF ANYONE WANTS TO HELP ME WITH ITALIAN VIA SKYPE OR ANY OTHER FORM OF COMMUNICATION SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE PLEASE!!!!

I'm a double major. My first is Romance Languages (French and Italian) and the other is Spanish. So I will be starting 101 classes in both French and Italian. (I'm already fluent in Spanish . . . which will make those classes very easy.)

I Have to say Isabel Allende is a great writer...her works are great...!

She is a great writer in Spanish too. She is one of the most famous Chilean ones next to Neruda. But I´m not really into her style . . . I guess. Especially not in La isla bajo el mar. It is a decent book, but I don´t like the formatting where the main character is barely in it and there is all this backstory that one must get through before actually meeting the protagonist. It reminds me of A Tale of Two Cities where the actual story does´t start until halfway through the book. x P  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:37 pm
iNob
Puuya
iNob
Finish a couple of books in Spanish. Mainly Ficciones by Borges and La isla bajo el mar by Isabel Allende. The latter is not my cup of tea, but it has a decent Central American/Caribbean Spanish lexicon.

Besides that I want to start learning the basics of Italian so I am decently prepared for the fall. IF ANYONE WANTS TO HELP ME WITH ITALIAN VIA SKYPE OR ANY OTHER FORM OF COMMUNICATION SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE PLEASE!!!!

I'm a double major. My first is Romance Languages (French and Italian) and the other is Spanish. So I will be starting 101 classes in both French and Italian. (I'm already fluent in Spanish . . . which will make those classes very easy.)

She is a great writer in Spanish too. She is one of the most famous Chilean ones next to Neruda. But I´m not really into her style . . . I guess. Especially not in La isla bajo el mar. It is a decent book, but I don´t like the formatting where the main character is barely in it and there is all this backstory that one must get through before actually meeting the protagonist. It reminds me of A Tale of Two Cities where the actual story does´t start until halfway through the book. x P

Oh I see... I have read a poem of Neruda long time ago! It was about freedom!.. anyway the whole Magic Realism genre is great...!
I didn't know what to reply really!  

Puuya

Noble Citizen

12,025 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Gaian 50

iNob

Omnipresent Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:41 pm
Puuya
iNob
Puuya
iNob

Oh I see... I have read a poem of Neruda long time ago! It was about freedom!.. anyway the whole Magic Realism genre is great...!

I don´t believe Neruda´s poems should have ever been translated.
Spanish is the romance language of poetry . . . so trying to make it work in any other language is just a tragedy.
Even a great translator can´t capture every meaning or the way in which words are used to emphasize certain points or ideas based on rhythm.
And I don´t believe La isla bajo el mar is considered magical realism. I assume you are talking about La casa de los espíritus. (The house of the spirits? no idea what the title is in English)  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:49 pm
iNob
Puuya
iNob
Puuya
iNob

I don´t believe Neruda´s poems should have ever been translated.
Spanish is the romance language of poetry . . . so trying to make it work in any other language is just a tragedy.
Even a great translator can´t capture every meaning or the way in which words are used to emphasize certain points or ideas based on rhythm.
And I don´t believe La isla bajo el mar is considered magical realism. I assume you are talking about La casa de los espíritus. (The house of the spirits? no idea what the title is in English)Oh I know what you mean! Persian poetry is awful when translated..some people think Omar Khayyam's poems are great in English but you won't feel the true mean in till you read it in Persian.
Oh yeah the book is The House of The Spirits. I thought the book you mentioned is that!  

Puuya

Noble Citizen

12,025 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Gaian 50

kutsuchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 pm
It's a little late to be asking what your plans are when theres only a month and a half left lol. Anyway my plans are pretty simple. keyholeTV, anki, and my trusty 大辞林. Learning a language is always the most fun by watching tv and listening to music XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Puuya
Okier - chan

That'll be a hard hard summer!

It'll be rather easy, mandarin pronunciation messes me up but I'm getting better.
Dutch is rather easy, and french - I've learnt from grade 4 (2nd year uni now)

Okier - chan

Sockers
Vice Captain

5,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:57 pm
Work on French, maybe start on Norwegian again.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am
Work on my German some more. Ughhh, my motivation right now is shot.
If anyone wants to become Skype bros, you should totally message me. /nudgenudgewinkwink  

Horticultures

Fashionable Shapeshifter

8,000 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
-:: Multilingualism ::-

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers