Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Homophobic People Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:33 am
TylerAnnihilate
Something I don't understand is how ANYONE in the gay community can put up with homophobia. Homophobia, no matter the source, is UNACCEPTABLE.

And @Shanna66, saying that you can ignore their homophobia is tacitly endorsing homophobia. I've consistantly seen throughout this guild you saying that your LGBT status doesn't have anything to do with you as a person, but it does. You say it has as much to do with you as a person as the color of their hair, or their eye color. You can dye your hair blonde, but your hair will always be brown. You can wear blue contacts, but your eyes will always be brown. And I also think it's annoying when someone says stuff like that, ESPECIALLY when they're biseuxal because they could so easily go marry someone of the opposite gender. I think it's a cop-out.

Pretending that someone doesn't hate you and hoping that it goes away is doing the same thing as some homophobes pretend that you aren't gay, hoping that it will go away.

think of me how you will, it wont change my opinion and i am happy enough with myself where i dont feel the need to change to make people happy  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:05 am
I know of some people who despise homosexuality and the like but have still been cordial with me. I am all for fighting ignorance but picking fights with each individual person who is narrow-minded is pointless. People may be ignorant but the are still entitled to their views. If that person with an opinion that differs from mine treats me with respect, then I have no problem with that individual. If otherwise, then I take action.

I'm just against starting pointless arguments with everyone who disagrees with me, is all. You guys can do whatever the hell you want, I have more important things to attend to in my life.

Ayame_Rikimayu

5aviors-5orrow

OG Noob

5,950 Points
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:02 am
lol my friend was homophobic but it changed when he pissed me off and i decided to take revenge by show parts of my anatomy to him, later that night he came up to me and he is no longer my friend we have been dating for about 2 years now  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:12 pm
I can understand where some of you are coming from, but I'm curious as to what exactly you want people to do when they find out someone is homophobic or hear someone say something homophobic. I mean, the course of action would depend entirely on the situation, wouldn't it?

Realistically speaking, it depends on how the homophobia is being expressed, who the speaker is, who the audience is, and the environment.

As an example, someone makes the following statement: "Stop being such a f*****t and be serious for once."

My supervisor saying that to my coworker (I work in a business environment, kind of formal) would completely blow me away, and it's completely unacceptable. In that kind of situation, I could make a complaint to our human resources department. If it was something that happened frequently, and nothing was done, I would have the option of going to the department of labour, etc.

Now, take the same sentence, and pretend one person has said it to another, in a public setting. Maybe they're behind you on the bus, or at a table near yours in a coffee shop. Personally, I don't see the point in doing anything other than ignore it, especially if the situation doesn't escalate in any way. Maybe the speaker is a homophobic p***k, or maybe he and the other person are just joking around with each other.

There are hundreds of situations in which we might encounter homophobia or homophobic comments. Not all of them need to be dealt with in the same way. Realistically speaking, many (if not most) can just be ignored.

If someone isn't making hurtful comments to or about me, treating me differently than anyone else, or actively campaigning to limit or take away my civil rights...why should I be upset, exactly?

I don't consider myself a member of the thought police, nor do I have the slightest inclination to take up guerrilla activism.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

I don't know, maybe I'm just really hard to offend.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 pm
Don's judge me
Just love me.
I'm not a criminal, I'm innocent
So come and set me free!

By 'nice homophobic' do you mean someone who is nice, but is against homosexuality?
Cause I know someone who is. In fact, they're one of my really good friends.
She's really nice, but she's Christian, so she's against homosexuality. (I'm not saying all Christians are against it, I'm just saying she follows all the "christian rules")

I really don't care what people say about it... It's just when they really start being mean about it, i tend to lose it.

I'm just really annoyed about how people can't just deal with another person's decision. :/
Actually, I don't think it's a decision... I think you're just born that way and you just need to figure it out. O-o (At least that's what I think.)
OKAY, I'm blabbering again.... x: I should just post this before it's like 30 pages long (:

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom
And the dance floor is my heaven.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:54 pm
Ignore people like that

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100