Submit

Eftemie

Vermillion Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:39 am
User Image
"Blue Oblivion, largely lit, smiled and smiled at me."

Substitute
Solo 11.12.10

His footsteps padded softly down the hallway towards his classroom. There had been a last minute change and the instructor took the rest of the day off and the next two months off. Hugo was the substitute.

His job had its advantages and disadvantages. One advantage was that he seldom worked in a classroom more than a couple months. That allowed him time to go digging and exploring as he saw fit. But the disadvantage to this was that he did not get a steady paycheck. Even the few artifacts he found were seldom worth very much. He had yet to find something that paid more than a few coins.

His opalescent eyes gazed ahead noting that the halls were mostly empty. One or two students moved slowly talking as they went. A few giggles heard from the girls in the side hall as they watched one of the boys sitting nearby slipped out to the main hall causing him to turn his attention that direction for a moment. He nearly sighed as he shoved the hair from his face and glanced out the shaded window on the other side.

The sands were blazing today and he did not need to be out there to know it was so. The hot reflections coming from the crystal sand were bright even through the coated glass. It was one of the things Nyota was known for. The Crystalali sands covered nearly 3/4 of the continent. The sun's brightness and reflections were what gave them their snow white hair and opalescent eyes as well as tanned skin. Even visitors who remained more than a few days would change slightly, but their alterations would disappear after a week elsewhere. Not so with those born on the planet. It was a natural phenomena to them and expected.

Pushing the door, he glanced around the class as a hush came over the group. All were astron or college level and considered adults. They were expected to act appropriately. Most did.

"Mirs Carlson is going to be absent for the next two months. Get used to seeing me. My name is Hugo Farnsworth. Hugo suffices, " he stated as he began placing his books and things on the desk. "Someone want to tell me where you are in the book?"

Mirs meant the lady was married while Mur would mean she was single. Urth meant that the man was married while Irth meant the man was single. Hugo would have been called Irth Hugo or Irth Farnsworth if he had demanded his title. But to Hugo, he was simply Hugo and did not care for the etiquette most others demanded in the Nyotae society.

Jens sighed. Would this guy even know the material? He hated having substitutes. They seldom knew what they needed to . Somehow he did not think this fellow would. He seemed too young to know much of anything.

Hugo knew the information and it was quickly understood that he was not the average substitute. It was simply a matter of knowing where to begin for him. The class was a combination of geology and archaeology and one of the experimental combinations that the school was testing. It made the class longer than normal, but the information was more viable for work on the excavations later.

Two hours into the class, he dismissed the students. All were younger than he was. Most had just begun the astron level of training which meant they could not be more than 18 or 19 years old. Hugo almost felt like an old man to them when he was barely ten years older than they were. He didn't feel the difference anyhow.

"Good class, Hugo," Jes commented as he moved towards the desk. "We were worried that we could get some lame old man."

"And I"m not a lame old man?" he asked amusement sliding across his face. His lips curved upwards as he turned his attention to the younger man.

"Well... no. You aren't that much older than us and if today is an indication, you aren't going to teach boring.. I mean... " Jens turned slightly red.

Hugo did laugh then. "I know what you mean, Jens. Information can be dry sometimes. I'll try to keep it lively for you. We might take a few field trips and get some hands on though she has none scheduled. But she's gone and I'm here so we will see what happens. There's alot of information to cover."

"We'll get it done," Jens replied confidently. "All of us are here because we want to be. And just wanted to say that we like you. That's all."

"You might not like me at examination time," the older smirked.

Jens groaned. "Yeah... there is that... Anyhow, see you tomorrow."

"I'll be here," Hugo nodded as the boy walked away. He studied him for a moment. Jens' hair hung down to his waist neatly pulled back and tied. He was a large muscular kid. In that moment Hugo decided that he liked Jens. The class might be more fun thatn the last one he taught.
--
As the next two months wore on, Hugo and his students got closer, getting to know one another. They took various field trips as well as learned the information in the books and on the previous teacher's schedule.

"Next week, " he began, moving around to sit on the desk. "Mirs Carlson returns on the fourth day. On the third day, my last day, I was thinking that we might go take a tour of the Nightfall vein and learn a bit more about its creation."

A murmurr of disappointment rippled through the class. They had learned more from him in the short time he taught than the entire class with her. It had taken them a couple days to get used to his disheveled appearance, but he was one of the better teachers they had.

"On the third... Aw.. man... can't we just keep you?" Jens grumbled, as the others laughed, agreeing with him.

Hugo smiled. "I'm not a puppy, Jens. Besides you are all smart enough to take this and keep it interesting whether I am here or not." He glanced up at the clock. The class was almost over. "Trip on the third day then."

The class nodded, but glanced at one another. They would have to do something special for Hugo. They began plotting as they walked away. They wanted him to know how much they really appreaciated him.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:05 am
User Image

To Dig Nightfall
Solo 12.12.10

"I say we get him something to remember us by." one said softly. "Maybe a keyring or something."

"I think we should get him something better than that. How about... Hmm... did he say where we were going?" she asked instead.

"No. He did not." Jens replied. "I was thinking maybe we should ask him where we want to go. Maybe the Nightfall vein."

"Nightfall? Are you crazy? Weird things happen out there.."

"Yeah, but it would be interesting and it would make the last class mean more to all of us." Jens replied, shrugging. "It was just a suggestion. He's mentioned it before."

A murmurr rippled through the grouping of students just as Hugo came out the door. He stopped to watch them a moment and then asked, "So what and who are we plotting against?" He was amused when they all went entirely silent at his question.

Jens replied, "You of course." A faint smirk slipped across his face.

"Well, stop it." Hugo replied laughing at Jens expression.

"Maybe if you answer one question." Jens grinned.

"Depends on the question."

"Where are you planning to take us on the trip?"

"I had not decided yet. Why? Do you have someplace specific in mind?" Hugo glanced around at all the faces. He was somehow sure he was going to regret this.

"Yup. We would like to see the Nightfall vein." Jens replied matter of factly.

"Jens!" another student growled out as others laughed.

"I see." His lips twitched upwards. "I suppose we have talked about that place alot. Alright. If that's where you want to go, then that is where we will go. But.. we will be out of there before night. We will get lunch there so let's meet here at noon. That will give you five hours to explore before it gets dark."

"Alright!" Jens laughed, raising his fist in a victory sign.

"Now, get out of here. All of you have homework to do," Hugo stated, turning away from them. He wondered briefly if he would regret allowing them the choice. But then what could happen so long as they were out by dark? He would make sure they were.
--

The day of the trip came quickly and the class found themselves at the mine. The tour consisted of three parts: an explanation of nuclear testing and about their own wars, nuclear fusion and the results of such power, and finally, it discussed Nightfall, its properties, and secrets.

The Nyotae were past setting off nuclear weapons at this point in time but they had once been a violent race seeking power as much as struggling for life. Their tests had been carried out in areas far in the desert and away from the normal populace. The few that had been used injured the populace in such a way that the weapons were finally forbidden and world peace dominated. Nightfall or Oblivion as it was sometimes called, was discovered and it was explored hoping that they had done no permanent damage to their planet and people.

The nuclear fusion information explained the results of the creation of a new stone, Nightfall. It went into detail on the atomic level of difference in what it was. The deep blue stone with its silver stars embedded had never been seen before. It was thought to be a large glass formation from the sand where the blasts had been released. Its true significance became obvious later when it was realized an entirely new mineral had been created with an otherworldly appearance when there was no light. The white sands of the Crystalali Wastes only made the vein of Nightfall seem more surreal and unexplainable.

The third and final portion examined the stone itself and the results of the tests done on it. Of course not all the secret information was given out. Just enough that the curious would not ask. The major thing it discussed was the luminous quality of the stone in the dark and what was being discovered about the properties of such. Much of the lore of the stone was said to be urban legend and it was hoped the population would ignore what had been deemed benign by the scientists who were supposed to know what they were doing. Which is what led it to being marketed from the mine as a decorative piece of jewelry or another item.

The students walked around the display cases in amazement at the things that had been fashioned of Nightfall. Finally on their own, they took their time to look over the smorgasbord of stone before them.

Jens turned to the others, his eyes bright. They all knew that look and some groaned. He glanced down at the jewelry for sale. "That's it! We get him a pendant!"

Several turned to stare as he pointed at one necklace in particular. It was on a heavy silver chain but the most striking portion of it was the stone. It was a perfect oval with some basket woven wire at the top and bottom. The stone seemed to gleam from its cage of silver wire.

"We don't know the side effects, Jens. Didn't you listen?"

"I listened." he muttered, but then grinned again. "But I still think we should get it. It is in silver which is said to negate the effects whatever they might be."

"Be serious, Jens. That's no guarantee."

"Oh come on, guys," he growled, shoving white hair from his face. "They said the ones set in silver are okay. Why else would they be selling it? I like this one and I think he would too." His eyes crossed the pendant again. There was just something about it. Something unusual and powerful. He was so certain Hugo would like it.

The clerk listened and then smiled. Jens had picked the nicest piece in the entire store- at least for its story. "I do know a bit more about that pendant." she volunteered and then continued, "That one is actually the rarest of all the pieces. The vein of Nightfall was entirely intact except for that piece. It was as you see it except for the silver chain and setting. It was lying beside the vein as if it were there already while the Nightfall was being created. The piece was perfectly polished and shaped by the blast. It was just released a few weeks ago after having been studied for years. It is the same as all the rest except the way it was shaped. The other pieces have been cut by a jeweler and that pendant was not."

"See? It's a cool piece. It's the one we should get for him." Jens insisted, his eyes even brighter with the story. "Can you write this down if we get it?"

"It has already been written down in the scientist's own handwriting. There is a small booklet that comes with this one." she replied, taking the necklace from the case so that they could see it closer. She knew how to sell something and smiled within. "There are no flaws in it whatsoever."

Jens nodded, "Let's get it, guys."

Some of them laughed and others groaned again. Jens would not stop until they agreed.

"Alright, Jens. You win." most said at the same time. Everyone laughed again placing their portion of the money on the glass.

Jens shoved his own out there and then grinned widely. "Alright! I knew you guys wouldn't let me down! This is the one for Hugo."

"Shall I gift wrap it?" she offered.

"Yes. We want to give it to him at lunch here. Today's the last day he's our teacher." Jens replied as she took the money and the pendant.

"I'm sure he will like it." A few moments later she handed Jens the wrapped box. It was a midnight blue with silver scrolling and a silver ribbon. "The booklet is inside beneath the pendant.

"Thank you." Jens replied, taking the box from her.

"Jens, you get to give it to him."

"It was your idea."

"So you get the blame if he doesn't like it."

For a few moments they hassled Jens in amusement as he tucked the box into his pocket. Hugo would like it. They would see, but he laughed moving away. He almost could not wait to give it to him.
--
"So shall we explore the rest of the day?" Hugo asked, taking a bite from his sandwich. The restaurant had good food for it to be a tourist place and it surprised him a little.

"I think just explore," Jens grinned. "I mean what could be better than that?" He shrugged finishing off his drink. It was a blend of Apato and Swelnin and was good despite the fact that one fruit was overly sweet and the other overly sour.

"You just want to get into trouble, Jens."

"And we will end up pulling you out of it."

The students began teasing the young man as they finished their food. He protested but knew he was the one in the class that trouble seemed attracted to. Even when he tried to keep from it.

Finally Hugo got to his feet, dumping his trash in the nearby can. "Alright, let's explore the rest of the day. Just remember not to be late. We need to be out of there at dusk. Not night. Dusk. I want pink left in the sky." Despite rumors of the most exciting things happening after dark, Hugo knew his responsibility well towards his students. They would make it out before the night fell in the Nightfall.

"Wait a minute." Jens said as Hugo turned away. "This is the last day you are our teacher and we wanted you to have this. We got you something." Holding out the box, the young man grinned from ear to ear. "You have to have something to remember us by."

Turning back in genuine surprise, Hugo stared at the box silently. He glanced at their faces. "Trust me, Jens. I would not have forgotten you." He chuckled as he took the small package. "It's not going to get me into trouble is it?" His grin widened. "Nothing going to jump out?"

"Nah. Trust me." Jens smirked. "We just thought you would like it."

Hugo laughed again, opening the box carefully. All he could do was blink as he gazed at the pendant of Nightfall. Of all the ones in the case, it was the one he had liked. He had said nothing to them. How had they known? Was it simply a coincidence?

He sighed. "Wow... I don't know what to say." Taking the pendant in his hand, Hugo studied it as it dangled from his fingers by the heavy silver chain it was on. The pendant swayed catching the light around them. It was almost mesmerizing.

"Put it on."

His attention pulled back to his students, Hugo laughed again as he slipped it over his head. The pendant hung to the center of his chest. "Thank you all very much." He finally found the words to express his appreciation for their thoughts of him. "It is very beautiful and I will think of all of you whenever I wear it."

"The story of the stone is written down and inside the box. Don't lose it." Jens added.

Hugo looked at the box again. There was a pamplet inside. "I see. I will read it later." he scanned a few words before closing the lid and pushing it into the large pocket on his jacket. "Alright, let's explore." A smile crossed his face as the group walked away. He must have made a good impression on them.

Not bad for a substitute.  

Eftemie

Vermillion Gekko

Eftemie

Vermillion Gekko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:09 am
User Image

Out Of This World
Solo 12.14.10

All afternoon they explored and time passed more quickly than most thought it could. By the time they noticed, it was later than their plan to leave. Hugo glanced around at those nearest him. Then he glanced up at the sky. It was far darker than he had wanted.

"Alright, everyone. Pack it in. We need to leave. It's later than I thought and we want out safely." Tapping one student on the shoulder, he said, "Tell the others as you pass them. Where's Jens? I've not seen him in awhile."

"He went further in. Back there." he replied as he pointed and then moved towards the others and where he knew the exit was.

The sharp structures of the vein rose upwards over their heads making it almost impossible to see much. Hugo frowned, "I'll get him. Just keep moving quickly out." Stepping in the direction Jens was supposed to be, the man called, "Jens? Where are you? It's time to go."

Moving further and further under the jutting arches and into the labyrinthian paths below, Hugo gazed around at the Nightfall. The darker recesses were beginning to glow and he scowled as he stopped.

"Jens? Where are you? It is time to go. Jens?"

His eyes were caught as he noted the brightly glowing arch of stone just in front of him. He hesitated, nearly swearing aloud that he saw movement within it. Shoving his hair back nervously, his eyes narrowed as he tried to get a better view of it. Tucking the pendant into his shirt to keep it from moving as he did, Hugo never noted that when he did so it too began to glow faintly.

"Jens? Is that you? Stop playing games and let's go." Again there was movement as Hugo moved a bit closer. "Jens, I'm not in the mood for your pranks. We need to get out of here. It is getting too dark here."

Stepping out behind Hugo, Jens stared at the man. "I'm right here, Hugo. Is something wrong? I was already working my way back."

Hugo whirled a frown on his face. Jens had not come from the movement he had seen. "Let's just go." he said, glancing back at the Nightfall arch. He could have sworn he saw a face there in the darkness of the stone. Turning on his heel, Hugo urged Jens forwards at a quick pace.

The glow behind them increased as they stepped away. Soon it was beside them, traveling forwards and casting a surreal glow onto their faces. Their features looked like garish masks of violet and their hearts thumped as if something were chasing them. Their pace quickened as the luminescence appeared slightly ahead of them.

"Hurry, Jens." Hugo urged as he followed slightly behind.

Suddenly they were both overtaken by the violet light sliding through the entire vein as darkness slid down over the entire desert. Jens stumbled, blinded for a moment. Gasping he hurried to his feet, only to trip and fall again. Sprawling on the sand just outside the arches of Nightfall, the young man gasped.

"Hugo, we made it." he said turning around. He got no reply and Hugo was nowhere to be seen. "Hugo?" he called, turning in a full circle as he got to his feet. Even in the surreal light scattering his direction, he could see their footprints trailing backwards. Moving a few paces closer, Jens stared, gasping.

Right until he had stumbled the first time, there were two sets of tracks. Hugo's had vanished as if in mid-step. It was like something had simply picked him up and taken him. His skin tingled with the knowing that something was odd and the pit of his stomach ached as if he knew.

Hugo was gone.

--

It overtook him, wrapping and clawing its way into his body. Hugo gasped, grimacing as he tried to suck air into his suddenly air deprived lungs. It felt as if he were on fire and every cell in his body tingled with the pain. He would have cried out if he could. There was no sound other than the constant hum that echoed in the unknown depths around him. And the beat of his own heart which increased with his own fear.

In confusion, he groped, reaching out in the blinding light that gripped him and held him tightly. The thought was there as he called "Jens?" No reply and then he noticed something even more odd. No sound had passed from his lips and if it did, it never reached his ears. He was voiceless in this large emptiness and that only made his heart thump even faster.

They danced around him, the flickering images of creatures surreal and fearful. They tossed him to and fro as if he were a toy, a plaything created personally for them. Hugo tried to scream, to cry out, to do anything as he was pushed, pulled, prodded, shoved, and nearly crushed in the violet radiation that seem to permeate his very bones. His necklace swung free, flying around him, glowing as brightly as he was. The man had time to stare, caught as he reached for it. Transfixed, he was captive as time seemed to stand still.

Then the lights went out.

--
"I don't know." she said. "He seems to be disoriented more than injured. Have you ever seen such hair or eyes in such a color?"

"I can't say I ever have.. but..." the other answered. "he was just lying there in the field. I could not leave him no matter where he came from."

"I know, but still... His necklace is beautiful. I've never seen such an exquisite piece of Blue Goldstone before. I wonder where he got it?"

"Either way, keep your hands off it. I have a really bad feeling about this. And he will want it when he wakens."

"Fine. But he's your problem. Not mine."

Footsteps walked away as the one still remaining sighed deeply. Some days were just like that and she tucked the blankets gently around him. His entire body was shivering and yet feverish. Hopefully whatever he had was not catching.

"Jens!" he called suddenly. His hands shoved at the blankets and her for a moment before settling down as her soothing.

"It's alright. You are safe now. Shhh... It's alright." Somehow even though she said the words, Sarai was sure it was far from alright for the man. But it was the only comfort she could give. Shaking her head as she walked away to do chores, she wondered where it was he was from.

It was nearly four hours later when he woke, but lay still listening to the music with his eyes closed. It as the strangest sound he had heard and unlike anything he knew. Yet it was interesting enough that he found himself keeping time to the rhythm and beat. There were other sounds in the background though and soon his attention went to them.

A voice was humming to the song and even singing some of the words. Hugo winced as a word or two were noticeably offkey. The singer never hesitated but continued. Most likely tone deaf too.

Sitting up as a sigh slipped from him, he glanced around in surprise, his jaw dropping open. Blinking he stared at the room. It was nothing like his home. Where was he?

The room was oddly finished. Instead of the smooth mechanical walls which surrounded his own bed, he found himself surrounded by wooden pieces of furniture and other strange items. His walls were projection screens that allowed him to waken to whatever image he wanted to across the entire room. Everything was hidden within the walls and surfaces of the floor and ceiling. Conveniences appeared as needed to keep the clutter and dust away.

He sneezed as he continued seeking something familiar. Images in wooden frames hung from the walls and were placed on the tops of the furniture in some places. Although he understood what they were, Hugo did not know why they were being presented as they were.

A bookcase to one side was filled to overflowing and though they had books in the antiquities houses, Hugo had never actually seen one. Everyone used smart units that gave up information at a simple touch. His fingers slid down the spine of the book before he pulled it free. He nearly dropped it as he opened it to find that he did not understand the language and that it contained images of people with dark hair and various colored eyes- one color only. There was no way this was a Nyotaen book.

In what place was he?

"Jens?" he called softly. No reply as before. Had the boy made it from the Nightfall? Moving towards the window, he stopped just before he got there. His necklace was on the table. Carefully picking it up, he placed it over his head. Wherever he was, it was the only thing that connected him with home.

A gasp slipped free as his attention was drawn to the outside. The sky was blue. It was blue?!! "Blue...?" he whispered, repeatedly. "How can that be? Our sun.. our sun is green. What would cause this?"

Had the Nightfall done something to his eyes? Or worse to his memory? A noise caught his attention causing him to stare, his expression entirely bewildered and confused beyond anything he had ever felt before.

People had dark hair, light hair, medium hair of various colors and shades. Their clothing was odd and their eyes.. well their eyes were as represented in the book- only one shade. Then he noted the tails and horns some had, and stumbled backwards to the bed again. Sitting down hard, Hugo gasped as he tried to wrap his mind around what was happening.

"What is this place? If it is not Nyota, then where is it?" He glanced at the pendant again, eyes caught by the shimmer within. "Was it the Nightfall? Are the stories really true about people disappearing? But if so, then where are they? And where am I?"

His fingers brushed the gem trapped in the silver again. "I bet you had something to do with this. Damned Nightfall! Now what do I do? And how do I get home again?"  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 pm
User Image

Strangling Shadows
Solo 12.15.10

He was just sitting on the edge of the bed, simply staring around him when she entered. Getting to his feet immediately, Hugo intended to back away only to find himself against the bed. Get a grip.. he muttered inwardly.

"Oh! You are awake!" she said actually delighted that his illness had seemed to fade away finally. It had taken several days and she had been almost tempted to take him to the hospital when he had seemed to improve. "My name is Sarai. Sarai Thornton."

Hugo blinked as she began speaking this bizarre language at him. Even more confusion crossed his face and he was tempted to run. But he had no place to run to. Shaking his head negatively, the man just watched her. He had always hated charades.

Sarai stopped, gazing at him in bewilderment. "No? What do you mean?" Tilting her head, the girl watched him closely. "What is your name? It's safe here."

Even more off kilter, Hugo replied, "El da monaid akair, meaning 'I have no clue.' He was certain that if he could not understand her, then she could not he. But he did not know how else to get the point across.

Surprised, Sarai sat down in the chair nearby. Her eyes met his in sudden understanding. He did not know what she was saying. Where did she start? She smiled. She had always loved charades.

"I guess you get the basics then." Then she waved her hands back and forth for him to forget that when he frowned at her. Pointing to herself with a laugh, the girl introduced herself. "Sarai. Sarai."

Hugo stared at her then nodded. Indicating her, he said, "Sareai." Then he bowed, stating, "Hugo."

With the thick accent he had, it sounded different to her ears. and she repeated it as "Huejo. Your name is Huejo."

Shaking his head, he said his name again twice. "Hugo. Hugo."

She blinked starting at him, then slowly pronounced it. "Huejo. Hujo. Hugo." On the third try she succeeded drawing a smile from him. "You know that accent might be a problem. It's nice to meet you, Hugo."

He stared then sat down with a sigh on the bed. How was he ever going to find his way in this place? Or even find his way back home if noone understood him? Rubbing his eyes, Hugo thought about his students. It would seem as if he had simply abandoned them. He really hoped that all of them were safe.

She suddenly stopped mid-sentence. He still seemed tired, and she noted he was wearing the necklace. It was important to him, just as she had thought. "I forgot. You don't understand. And you are probably still not feeling well." Indicating that he get back into bed, Sarai just watched him.

That much he did understand as he lay down with the blankets half over him. This was definitely going to take awhile. The girl babbled and she was worse than Jens. He sighed, just closing his eyes. Maybe it would all go away when he woke up later. Maybe.

He could hope.

---

Frustration and anger slipped down over him. He tossed and turned as his mind stepped out into the dreamworld while his body began to sweat and shiver.

It was dark all around him as he stood silently staring. He could see nothing, but he felt the frustration and anger that permeated the shadows around him. Oddly he seemed to be standing in a circle of light, but could find no source. A sudden sense of betrayal stronger than he had ever felt before shoved down over him.

"Is someone there?" he called, taking a step forwards. "Jens? Is that you?" Just beyond he could hear soft footsteps and almost see movement. Or were his eyes playing tricks on him? What had happened to Sarai? Where was he now?

Caught by what he could not see the man took another step. Now he was standing halfway covered by shadow. He could almost see a figure standing there watching him. Almost.

He opened his mouth to speak only to get slammed as the shadows rushed him. Knocking him entirely off his feet with a ferocity he could barely understand, the creature began to choke him. Hugo tried to get his bearings, blinking several times as a violet light overshadowed everything. It was on him and yet he could see nothing clearly.

"Jens...?" he gasped out, his lungs burning for more air. "Stop!" His face contorted, a violet mask of pain from the illumination around him.

Fingers wrapped around his neck every more tightly as he struggled to breathe, to suck air into his enflamed body. The hands tightened more causing him to thrash around. Kicking and flailing, he shoved to break the hold.

Bolting upright in the bed, Hugo gasped at the violet illumination in the room. His hands moved towards his neck. At the sight of movement and his necklace glowing, the man freaked out, stumbling to his feet. Strands of shadow were coming from the stone and curling about his throat.

"What...?" Hugo whispered, lips curving downwards. His eyes narrowed as he pulled the pendant away from his body.

The violet glow retreated, but the shadowy tendrils remained reaching out for him. They writhed angrily for several long moments before curling closer to itself.

Hugo simply stared, watching it. "I knew you had something to do with this. How did I get here?" Other than the obvious fact he had been in the Nightfall field when he vanished, Hugo was more certain than ever that the gem had power and had displaced him.

A feeling of petulance and annoyance slid freely outwards as Hugo continued to study the pendant dangling from the chain. Instead of reaching for the man this time, the tendrils wrapped around the chain, creeping upwards as if exploring the nature of its cage.

Holding it closer to the light coming in the window, Hugo watched, his scrutiny intensified. Light had always changed the condition of the stone on Nyota. Would a yellow sun work as well as a green?

The stone dulled a bit as the shadows retreated, trying to move away. They were mostly on the darker side of the gem and it was clearly unhappy with the situation from the way it writhed.

Hugo nodded to himself. The Nightfall glowed more in the dark and whatever the creature was, it was faced with the same attributes. It preferred the dark and he suspected some sort of shadow being which reminded him of the stories of creatures being seen dancing. He gazed at it silently, then stated clearly, "Behave. If you do not, you may find yourself locked in a box that is permanently lit."

Frustration slipped over Hugo again and this time he was certain it was from the creature. "I suppose you need a name. What shall I call you?" Just plain annoyance slipped out this time, causing Hugo to laugh. "Interesting. You are almost like a child, aren't you?"

Holding the pendant in his hand, Hugo let it explore his fingers. Away from the light, the violet deepened as it explored. Scratching his head, the man said, "I guess you really do need a suitable name. On Nyota, you are called Nightfall by most people. Because of the starry depths in the stone and because everyone tries to avoid you at night. The scientists called you another name. Oblivion. That's what your stone is called. It was something new created from a nuclear blast and that's what we began to consider that sort of power. Oblivion and we would have destroyed ourselves one day if we had not stopped using it."

He suddenly laughed. "And you've already made a good indication that you would like to send me to Oblivion. I think that's what your name will be. Oblivion. Obli for a nickname." His dream had reacted to what his body was feeling. He supposed the next time he went to sleep he would find out if it could be trusted or not. Either way he had to keep it close.

Oblivion was his way home.  

Eftemie

Vermillion Gekko

Eftemie

Vermillion Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:19 pm
User Image

New Tricks
Solo 03.16.11

Hugo sighed. He needed to get a handle on this language. Sure he knew a few words but it was difficult even to speak to Sarai and get the simplest message across. It took him nearly twenty minutes to get across the idea that he needed to take some classes in her language, but he finally did so. Nearly an hour later she had him signed up to take one everyday in the evenings.

The first one she decided she would go with him to help him get started. It would be difficult enough to get things started if he did not know what was going on. But the next day he was on his own. The girl thought it was best if he depended upon himself as he seemed to want to do. She liked having him around but it was an adjustment for her also. She needed some space too and this way they both had the time they needed.

The first class was about getting used to being there. The second class Hugo began learning the alphabet and the sounds associated with the letters. By the time the class was over, Hugo could speak and understand most common words. He had worked hard on the side each day until he was successful. He was a teacher and could accept no less from himself.

All the while he watched Oblivion. The wisp would hover around the table or desk where he was working. His tiny tendrils would explore the various things placed about, but when Hugo was in class, the necklace hung about his neck much to the wisp's annoyance. And he made it plain he did not like dangling beneath Hugo's clothing. Obli would not sit still at all whenever he was hidden away.

Over the next week, he began to think something was wrong with his eyes. The night seemed far too bright even with the lights off and the curtains shut on the windows. He could see too clearly. At first Hugo thought it might simply be the yellow sun. He had come from a green sun after all, and there was a definite difference in colors. His hair was no longer white. It had slowly changed to black. And his eyes were not opalescent but a silvery gray. Still an unusual color but not what his originally were. Those were just some of the changes he began to see.

It was several weeks later when Hugo noticed a discoloration on his chest where the necklace hung. At first he suspected Oblivion was doing something to him. But then he realized it was not deliberate but simply because the stone was against his bare skin day after day. It was then he remembered the story that had been in the box with the stone. Searching through the belongings in his room, he scattered them as he tried to find the slip of paper it was written on. Tugging one of the books free, he opened it, sure he had used it for a bookmarker the last time he had used that book.

"Aha! There you are! Just as I thought," he pronounced causing Obli to drift towards him.

The wisp slipped down to his shoulder, clinging to the fabric as he seemed to check out what Hugo was doing. His tendrils pulled him along as he climbed down the man's shirt sleeve to reach the paper in his hand.

Hugo glanced over and laughed. "What are you doing? Yes, it's about you. I'm going to find out what you are doing to me. But somehow I suspect it is not deliberate. This time. You just better behave."

Obli turned fully around as Hugo spoke to him. He gave no indication that he had even understood Hugo, but deliberately tried to take the paper from the man's hand. He pulled at it trying to get it loose from the man's fingers, but it was held tightly. In annoyance, he drifted away into the air, petulance drifting away from him.

Hugo snorted. "Yes, that's what I thought. Go pout instead, Obli. You can't always get your way. You will need better tricks than that." Turning his attention to the story, he began to read.

The stone appeared naturally smooth as if polished when it was found but oddly had what looked to be a dark setting shaped like a serpent. It is suspected that another stone was fused beneath it to create this uniqueness. The serpent like stone crumbled to dust when it was touched so nothing was learned of it. It lay beside the large vein entirely separate from it. It was obviously the same material and was tested thoroughtly for the same properties. It is assumed to have been broken off during the blast and that the power polished it smoother than the rest. The fact that it is a perfect oval is an extremely rare state to have found it in. The stars within seem to be a more perfect formation than the rest of the stone mass.

As the mass itself is considered to be man-made, the oval is considered the same though its circumstances are a bit more unusual. Nightfall's properties are varied. It has been discovered that in the dark, the stone has a glow to it that is often used as a nightlight. There have been those who seem to be able to see better in the darkness after a great deal of exposure to the gem. It has been known to poison in extremely rare instances due to imperfections in the stone's variations. Silver negates this and the gem is most frequently set in silver not only for protection but also for appeal.

After the testing of this piece halted, it was set in silver for protection and released for sale. It is perhaps the most unique piece of Nightfall found to this date.

Hugo stared at the words on the paper. It told him little except perhaps that he was being poisoned though the chances of such were extremely slim. The rest of the details merely gave the facts on generic Nightfall such as diamond cutting and on how it was mined. There was nothing else pertaining to this particular piece.

He reread the portion about the serpent setting. That was unusual and the man frowned intensely as he watched the wisp closely for a moment. For an instant he tried to see a serpent setting around the stone and it came to him quite clearly. As the vision faded away, Hugo was reminded of something he had heard, but even as he grasped it, the memory slipped away from him. It left him with an unsettled sensation sliding through his body. A deja vu impression that he knew something of importance but could not quite grasp it.

Shaking his head in frustration, he watched the stone closely. It took him a moment to understand what was happening.

Oblivion's tendrils pulled and tugged at the silver as if trying to get free of it. A few small places of the silver had turned faintly dimmer as if there was a slight stain or tarnish on the metal. The wisp stopped suddenly when he understood that he was being being watched. A feeling of amusement slid through him.

Hugo growled under his breath, eyes narrowing at the creature. "Behave yourself, my fine boy." He blinked. Boy? Why did he think that? It was what he felt.

Drifting to the side, the wisp began searching the nearby book as if ignoring Hugo. That was the furthest thing from the truth. It was keeping a bit of concentration on the man as he moved, putting away the paper.

"Well, whatever you are, no new tricks or you will not like what happens." the man growled finally. He was certain the wisp was watching him closely though he still had to find eyes on the creature. It bothered him that he could not remember why the thought of a serpent setting struck a chord with him. "I will figure you out." he stated clearly, but whether it was to convince himself or Oblivion, he did not know.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:44 pm
User Image

Testing Obli
Solo Date

Eftemie

Vermillion Gekko

Eftemie

Vermillion Gekko

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:44 pm
User Image

A Real Job
Solo Date

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:47 pm
User Image

The Bazaar & The Bizarre
Joint with Thabara Date

The Bazaar & The Bizarre

Hugo goes to the Durem Grand Bazaar. He meets Amon and Nephrite
there and learns some things about Oblivion that he did not know.

Eftemie

Vermillion Gekko

Welcome to Chaos :: Fiend Journals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas