Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I have some questions... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 am
whiporwill-o
i happened upon this site through google, but wasn't sure if it would be worth the read, thanks. 3nodding
Stuff on Buddhanet generally is. Many articles on basics of practice and the like are by well-read and studied monks. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:11 am
Eve Nyla

they don't believe in god, and instead they (as best as I can tell) believe that humans are the god's of this world.
Have it narrowed down to the popular LHP stuff if that description is accurate.
Quote:

they practice a magic, the spells they cast are very smiler to wiccan.
Can we get a description of said spells? While the folks here are correct that they're likely not what you think they are- a description of said rituals will help narrow it down.

Quote:

they have bad karma spells and good karma spells.
All spells would be "bad karma" spells. They'd reflect a attachment for the most part.

Eve Nyla

karma is when you do something bad, then something bad happens to you instantly.
Nope. Karma is what keeps things incarnating.

Quote:
and I know the spells are smiler because my pagan friend told me they are smiler. she is actually the reason why I wanna learn about this branch of pagan (I asked her the name and she doesn't remember... lol)
Ummm... why did your friend join a fertility cult?

Calelith
From Wikipedia:
According to karma, performing positive actions results in a good condition in one's experience, whereas a negative action results in a bad effect. The effects may be seen immediately or delayed. Delay can be until later in the present life or in the next.
Bad source. What you're talking about is a bastardized western understanding of Karma. Cultural appropriation and all.

You're thinking of The Law of Reciprocity.

I'm going to provide a heavily oversimplified explanation- just so we can start getting this on track.

Eastern Theologies that relate to Karma don't exist outside of the concept of Dharma.

These religions (most popular of them being called Hinduism and Buddhism in English) talk about a proper course for one's life known as Dharma. They don't really agree with that Dharma is- but the bottom line is that it's how you're supposed to live. Actions that go against Dharma generate Karma. Actions that are inline with Dharma, generate little or no Karma. (remember, over simplification here)

Buddhists have a set Dharma prescribed for the sum of humanity to follow to the best of their ability with the understanding that it isn't going to be perfect and that which experiences Karma will incarnate again. Hinduism's view has more to do with a number of who you are. This includes any number of intersecting elements of identity- some of which conflict at times.

Eve Nyla
this is really annoying me that not one person thinks I know what I am talking about. I know what I have been told.
I have no doubt that you know what you have been told. I simply doubt you've been told anything of quality based on what you have presented.  

TeaDidikai

The Littlest Demon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:42 pm
TeaDidikai
Eve Nyla

and I know the spells are smiler because my pagan friend told me they are smiler. she is actually the reason why I wanna learn about this branch of pagan (I asked her the name and she doesn't remember... lol)

where did you get the idea of fertility cult? I know she is a virgin so that doesn't make sense (don't ask why I know)
everyone just look at the first page with the copy of the conversation I posted.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:45 pm
Eve Nyla
TeaDidikai
Eve Nyla

where did you get the idea of fertility cult? I know she is a virgin so that doesn't make sense (don't ask why I know)
everyone just look at the first page with the copy of the conversation I posted.

Wicca is a fertility cult. If the spells are similar to that of Wiccan spells, it stands to reason that they are likely fertility based, no?  

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm
Aino Ailill
Wicca is a fertility cult. If the spells are similar to that of Wiccan spells, it stands to reason that they are likely fertility based, no?
That's pretty much what I was wondering. That compounded with how would she know what is and is not of The Wica without participation to one extent to another.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm
Eve Nyla

Your post fails to give me the information I require.

Please post responses to the question I posed.  

TeaDidikai

The Littlest Demon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:46 pm
you know what? I give up... seems like everyone thinks I am crazy so I give up... until she can remember the name I give up  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm
TeaDidikai
Bad source. What you're talking about is a bastardized western understanding of Karma. Cultural appropriation and all.

You're thinking of The Law of Reciprocity.

I'm going to provide a heavily oversimplified explanation- just so we can start getting this on track.

Eastern Theologies that relate to Karma don't exist outside of the concept of Dharma.

These religions (most popular of them being called Hinduism and Buddhism in English) talk about a proper course for one's life known as Dharma. They don't really agree with that Dharma is- but the bottom line is that it's how you're supposed to live. Actions that go against Dharma generate Karma. Actions that are inline with Dharma, generate little or no Karma. (remember, over simplification here)

Buddhists have a set Dharma prescribed for the sum of humanity to follow to the best of their ability with the understanding that it isn't going to be perfect and that which experiences Karma will incarnate again. Hinduism's view has more to do with a number of who you are. This includes any number of intersecting elements of identity- some of which conflict at times.

Ah and thank you for that bit of info on Krama/Dharma.

@Eve Nyla:
You don't seem to understand what we are talking, we are asking for more info. What you gave us doesn't help in any bit in trying to help you...

I think you're friend is misinformed and pretty much has no clue what he/she is talking about.

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:59 pm
Eve Nyla
you know what? I give up... seems like everyone thinks I am crazy so I give up... until she can remember the name I give up

We don't think you are crazy. It is only that what you are giving us does not seem to be helpful.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:34 pm
well here, as my last try I found more info that might be of use. (check the main page, edit#2)  

The Littlest Demon

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:46 pm
I'm going to venture a guess that your friend does not know what zhe is talking about. First step to becoming a pagan (which only means non-Abrahamic religion)? If that is true, then Buddhists, Astruar, Hellenistic Reconstructionists, etc. must do this. Surely you know that this is not the case? There is also no specific ritual that one needs to undergo to consider one's self a witch. However, there are specific Traditions which do require initiation (Wicca being one of them).  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:52 pm
Quote:
11/2/2009 10:36:05 PM Risingshade(kera): its the place you are introduced to first as a pagan, you go in normal, you do your naming ceremony, and then you come out as a pagan witch

You don't have to be a pagan to be a witch
confused

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Ashley the Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:59 pm
Eve Nyla
well here, as my last try I found more info that might be of use. (check the main page, edit#2)

So, I have a question...

I understand that you want to discover this particular path, but... what about this path intrigues you? What is it that you want out of it, whatever it's name is?

The only two things I've noticed are that it's atheistic, in that there aren't deities to worship, and involves witchcraft.

The thing is, there are many different paths which can fit this description, so, again, I kind of wonder, given how little you know about it, what is it in particular that lures you?

What do you desire out of a path? Witchcraft? What kind? Ceremonial magic?

Do you desire to worship deities? Work with them? What about elementals?

What do you think about animism? (The idea that "everything" has a spirit -- there are various degrees, I think, to what everything means here. )

The day of Yule actually moves around a bit. My first thought was that it was related to it being place according to a lunar calendar?

Aside from that, I believe Yule is a, how to say, a cultural celebration rather than a holiday? I'm not quite sure on the specifics, I'm sorry.

I hope you understand that I'm not asking these questions to cause any pain for you, but only in hopes that you might consider what's important to you so you can explain it to us.

When we leave on a journey to somewhere we don't know, we often start off thinking, "I'm going to go there," but after we venture outside our old borders, it can be challenging, and it's very easy to get lost.

But that's okay. Sometimes being lost can show us things we'd never expected to see, and we can find that, perhaps, the place we set out for wasn't the place we wanted to go after all.

So, I ask these questions for that reason, to see if you might want to explore the wilderness for awhile.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:27 pm
Oh spiff. I think we have found the root of the problem. Your friend has no clue what they are talking about.

Yaknow what? That's okay. This guild is here to help people like you and her. Let's examine this shall we?

Quote:
its the first step to becoming pagan and after that you can offically consider yourself pagan and a witch
I'm assuming this is in reference to some kind of initiation or dedication.

Well, this is the first thing that's wrong. Being pagan is simply a function of not being part of an Abrahamic Faith.

Don't worship as part of the religions that descend from the practices of Muhammad, Yeshua or Moses? Congrats. You're pagan. Nothing more to it than that.

Second- being a witch is about practicing witchcraft. If you practice witchcraft, even though you belong to an Abrahamic faith, you're a witch. If you practice witchcraft and are a Pastafarian, you're a witch. If you practice witchcraft and you're an atheistic monist, you're a witch.

Quote:
the naming ceremony starts out with using a dagger to open the circle
Who is providing the name? Why are they doing it? Why are they working with a circle? Why use a dagger?

I get it. It's popular eclectic fashion to imitate the fertility cult. Fine. But do it in a thoughtful manner. If you don't know why you're running off to do something, stop and examine it.

Those questions above aren't rhetorical. I want to read your answers so we can further develop this discussion.

Quote:
the circle the place where all energies are delt with and where all atmosphere and magic is taken place
Are they under the impression that energy doesn't exist elsewhere or that magic cannot be done elsewhere?

This is why it is important that we examine these constructs. The Cult has it's reasons for doing what it does. It doesn't make sense to mimic them if you aren't doing what they are doing and have no other justification for it.

Quote:
its the place you are introduced to first as a pagan, you go in normal, you do your naming ceremony, and then you come out as a pagan witch
This, this is ******** insulting is what it is.

Pagans aren't normal? What the hell?

Quote:
and training begins
Why on earth is there no training before this rite?! For all you know they're going to walk you into the circle naked, blindfolded and tied up, flog your a** and kiss you where your bathing suit covers.

If you aren't prepared for that- if you have no training whatsoever- how on earth are you going to be in any position to experience the rite itself?

Quote:
threwout training you learn to deal with energies and spirtual forces
Yikes! I don't know what your friend thinks they're talking about, but I for the life of me wouldn't want anyone in any spiritual situation with me who can't understand basic applications of energy.

Quote:
opening up your 3rd eye so to speak
What's the source of this image? Are they lifting it from established Eastern traditions? Something else?

Quote:
descovering your race
Oh gods. I get a sinking feeling reading this. What on earth do they mean race?

Quote:
and partaking in real life rituals
Ever attended a wedding? How about a birthday? Congrats, you have already partaken of real life rituals.
What religion were you raised with if any?
Quote:

and pagan holidays

one of the holidays she mentioned is yule witch is celebrated on December 24
Yule is a Norse Pagan holiday. It's on/around the 21st, not the 24th.

They really don't have a clue what they're talking about.
This is the kind of Fluff that leads to Mr. Darks.  

TeaDidikai

The Littlest Demon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm
GUESS WHAT! WE GOT THE NAME! its

NEO-PAGAN!

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items