Theory of Sorts-Animagus Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matelia legwll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:35 am
Midnight Fey Amethyst
I definately like the last question. I do believe that Padfoot, Prongs, Wormtail, and Moody could all communicate with one another "telepathically" in animagi form. Also, Crookshanks is the familiar of a witch, making it what I suppose you could call a "magical" cat. The magical animals have a "power" or two of their own which seperates them from the "normal" animals. These things could easily have something to do with why Sirius could speak to Crookshanks in animal form. Or I could jsut be extremely tired, and I could simply be spouting off whatever comes to mind because I really wanted to answer the question as best I could.

Crookshanks is also part Kneazle. I personally think that particular trait had more to do with his communication with Sirius, than the fact that he was owned by a witch. Jo doesn't really use "familiars" in any case.

As to these questions about Animagi: in July of 2005, Jo was asked a question that mirrors the ones originally proposed by Twilight_of_Life:
Quote:
Robert Dawson for Asda - If you were an animagus, what would you like to be?

JK Rowling: This always amuses me this idea. You see, you do not know what you are going to be until you have done it, so you might spend half a decade trying to turn into an animal and then find out you were a slug or something, which would be most unpleasant.

I gave Hermione my favourite animal, which is an otter. If you wanted to be something impressive, you would probably be something like a stag or a tiger, would you not, I just suspect I might be a guinea pig or something which would be so embarrassing.

This was found in an interview by BBC News It's towards the bottom of the interview, but it's there.

So, Jo has said that you cannot know what you are going to turn into until after you have managed to become an Animagus. So any wanting to become a particular animal is useless for the wizard to engage in. Although it is really quite fun to theorize on, and make educated guesses on, one's mental preference for one form over another cannot overtly influence the process of becoming an Animagi.

And that is my reason I had proposed that of all the magical objects we know of in that world, this is most similar to the Sorting Hat. That simile has its own problems, for the Animagus change takes into account your personality, but the wizard does not get the final decision. Perhaps it is most like the wand situation, but I would like to think that the transformations are more differentiating between the different personalities, than the wand, which can work for any wizard, but prefers a certain master.

There are several questions that have been raised, such as the link between Animagi and Patronuses, and still need to be explored, I believe, but the other issue of choosing a form should be resolved if you believe Jo about it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:01 pm
Vyalia
Part I: I believe that yes, the animagi chooses the wizard. There are several clues that support this theory (Wormtail had a rat-like nose and watery eyes and was annyoing like vermin, and Sirius had shaggy hair, laughed like a dog, and was playful and loyal, etc.) and so I expect that JK Rowling purposely made this true.

Okay, well, they both spent a lot of time in those forms. And it says in the book that Sirius and James were bigger animals so they could hold Remus back. I think that Sirius chose a dog, because they are lovable, and big, at the same time. And his hair was shaggy because he spent twelve years in prison. And Wormtail was in rat form for twelve years. He easliy just could have adapted and morphed. Becuase the description in the story, before he was an animagus, he wasn't rat-nosed, or watery-eyed, although he was always following Sirius, James, and Remus around, so that'd be annoying.
And J.K.R. probably did this because each of them spent a lot of time in their animagus forms.  

ShePotterGleek

2,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Matelia legwll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:39 pm
Just_Alicia_O
Vyalia
Part I: I believe that yes, the animagi chooses the wizard. There are several clues that support this theory (Wormtail had a rat-like nose and watery eyes and was annyoing like vermin, and Sirius had shaggy hair, laughed like a dog, and was playful and loyal, etc.) and so I expect that JK Rowling purposely made this true.

Okay, well, they both spent a lot of time in those forms. And it says in the book that Sirius and James were bigger animals so they could hold Remus back. I think that Sirius chose a dog, because they are lovable, and big, at the same time. And his hair was shaggy because he spent twelve years in prison. And Wormtail was in rat form for twelve years. He easliy just could have adapted and morphed. Becuase the description in the story, before he was an animagus, he wasn't rat-nosed, or watery-eyed, although he was always following Sirius, James, and Remus around, so that'd be annoying.
And J.K.R. probably did this because each of them spent a lot of time in their animagus forms.

Peter Pettigrew is described, at roughly the age of 15 in SWM as "a small, mousy-haired boy with a pointed nose."
The descriptions of Sirius Black in that same memory included "very good-looking; his dark hair fell into his eyes with a sort of casual elegance neither James’s nor Harry’s could ever have achieved."
And allow me to point out that this is the youngest description we have of these two. And it is after they have become Animagi.
Unlike James and Severus, who get descriptions in this and other memories, Sirius and Peter are not physically described at a younger age.
So you can't really prove which had the impact--the physical features impacting the forms chosen, or the Animagi forms impacting the physical features. We don't get anything to compare the "after" descriptions with.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 pm
These are great points but I suppose the ruling of Jo reins supreme.  

AmethystDragon81

450 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items