Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
What is considered rude in your culture? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daionii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:55 pm
Baron Alberto
I don't like it when people don't look at me when I am talking to them.
But I heard in some cultures it can come off as rude or agressive.

Really? o__o uh-oh. I'm terrible at making eye-contact >.<;;;

I can't think of anything that's rude over here XD probably just the same as England and the US.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm
In England it is considered rude to use a fork to cut food instead of a knife, and to talk/chew with your mouth open. And to go out wearing pajamas.

But here...people do all that stuff all the time and no one really thinks anything of it. So I don't know, lol. razz I guess invading personal space and not making eye contact is considered rude here.

Liv Qorri

GreenEyedDryad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:37 pm
My parents always taught me to at least taste a little of everything a host serves you or else you're being rude. Also, things such as holding a fork and knife properly or chewing with your mouth closed are proper dinner table manners. Slurping is considered very rude and annoying. But there are many people where I live who don't care about such things.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:20 am
In norway it's very rude to walk into someone elses house, wearing your shoes.
Also, it's rude to pay attention to yourself instead of others.

Well, Norway is kinda build up by norms, so there's alot of things that's looked upon as rude.

However, swearing isn't rude. It's a part of the language.  

ein_hest

The_HugePh3nom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:44 am
I guess some usuals.

Not accepting gifts and treats from host while in another person's home
Not respecting elders
Using Explicit language
Not having Manners like saying "Excuse Me" or "Thank You"
Pointing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:25 pm
In my culture, it's rude and disrespectful to have your head above your elders, or now a days, someone of either the same or higher class than yourself, that being who has more respect. Mainly, younger folks always have to bend down as they walk pass their elders.
Something major growing up in my family is you're not suppose to touch pillows with your feet or lay on your belly, in a matter of fact. The thing is, only monks or elders with church titles may sit on the pillow as they pray.

I'm not sure this implies with being rude, cultural wise. It's pretty much a pet peeve of mine, honestly. I simply hate being touched on the head. Don't hit me, tap me, I can't even stand people patting my head. I get fidgety. I have a fast reflex reaction towards the hand that touch me.

DaisukeBabi

sgfkysdbfa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:32 pm
In Roman culture it was rude for someone to make eye contact with someone of higher class than then or to elders, but nowadays it is rude not have make eye contact with the person who is speaking.
There are also many other things that are considered rude, but if I start writing them down, I will never finish. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:49 pm
Liv Qorri
In England it is considered rude to use a fork to cut food instead of a knife, and to talk/chew with your mouth open. And to go out wearing pajamas.

But here...people do all that stuff all the time and no one really thinks anything of it. So I don't know, lol. razz I guess invading personal space and not making eye contact is considered rude here.

haha @ wearing pjs.
I see people wearing PJs in supermarkets all the time. biggrin
I've walked out in public with my pjs! to cross the street to my grans. ^^;;

I'll list some moar british ones, cantonese ones I don't know if such things exist. ¬¬ Oh yeah be respectful to your elders! I get scolded if I talk wrong or be nasty to my gran... sad

1. Rude to ask someone how much something cost. That's not really big anymore since amongst the younger kind we always ask how much someones clothes was but it's rude yah.

2. Rude not to eat all of the food given to you by someone.

3. Rude to spit! It's just plain impolite huh. and naaaasty.

4. Rude to have your elbows on the table when eating.

5. Rude to not use a knife and fork.

6. Rude to watch someone when they're eating, but that's just weird huh. :<

etc
etc  

MAGICALMAO

runkar

Mega Noob

8,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:40 am
Oh god, this is a hard question D:

Actyally, i dont know surprised  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:28 am
Eating Pizza with fork and knifes. No really, Pizza is finger-food and you must eat it with your hands no matter in what kind of restaurant.

I know that because I love pizza and it's the only finger-food in noble restaurants...  

Verderbnis
Crew

The World Mosaic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas