http://shlmatta-baka-nl.deviantart.com/
  http://tinyurl.com/sellingstuff
View Results

GundamIsGod

Irregular Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:10 am
scullylam
GundamIsGod
Did anyone mention using slightly darker foundation to shadow your cheek bones? You can do the same under you chin to make it look a little squarer.

you're right. ^_^
^^ Yay for reading the crossplay forums on cosplay.com. I get comments about my shallow cheek bones, so I was told I don't need to do that shadow thing, but that only really seems to show up in pictures (it's all about lighting, lighting, lighting. ^^; I'm a less convincing male IRL.)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:13 pm
ok, how do boys walk? I live in a town were every one is "gangstar" and so i have no one to watch. they all watil.  

dragonhealer

scullylam

Time-traveling Marshmallow

32,700 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:23 pm
GundamIsGod
scullylam
GundamIsGod
Did anyone mention using slightly darker foundation to shadow your cheek bones? You can do the same under you chin to make it look a little squarer.

you're right. ^_^
^^ Yay for reading the crossplay forums on cosplay.com. I get comments about my shallow cheek bones, so I was told I don't need to do that shadow thing, but that only really seems to show up in pictures (it's all about lighting, lighting, lighting. ^^; I'm a less convincing male IRL.)

yes, lighting is key to everything. even in theatre you have to do more emphasis on areas.

dragonhealer: maybe on youtube or somewhere online you can see if there's any video of guys walking around. or watch a movie... *shrug*
sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:38 pm
... how do I walk?? I can't figure it out!!!  

dragonhealer

Yuan Zi Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:30 pm
Even if my loyalties are divided...

Do. Not. Use. Ace. Bandages. If you have $40, buy a compression vest. Seriously. You put it on, pull your breasts apart so they look normal, and there you go. It doesn't even get in the way of your breathing very much, but an ace bandage can actually malform your breasts if it shifts and whatnot. Dangerous. However, if you have a flat chest, try a good, tight sports bra that's not too constricted, but enough to make you look more plausible.

About your eyelashes: You could leave them; because a lot of men have long ones, too, or you could carefully trim a little of them... And I do mean carefully. Scissors near the eyes is a frightful thing.

Now, about walking: Men walk kind of slouchy... I cross my legs when I walk, but that's a testament to my sexuality, hahah... heart Walk straight. Keep your feet pointed outward. Slouch your shoulders. Relax. Walk like you know where you're going.

Hope it all helps. biggrin

...After I go against it; the winning moment's Purple Line...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:00 pm
That helps alot! thank you so much!!!  

dragonhealer

L Ryusaki Lawliet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:05 pm
Im having the exact oppisite of your problem Im a girl who wants to cosplay as a girl but I have a umm...how do I put it....guyish face...I always get mistaken for a guy... ;~; any advice on this? *stares at chest* GROW DAMMIT!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:25 pm
--In my humble opinion, since Ed is rather young-ish, there shouldn't be much of a problem. ^^;;

((I also think Ed is a kinda feminine-looking character, as opposed to Roy Mustang or Maes. sweatdrop ))

Ninee

DaBonster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 pm
Wow, people have already posted such good ideas!

I actually went to a crossplay seminar type thing at ALA a year ago, and the one thing I can add that others haven't already mentioned is your shoulders. Shoulder pads can make a girl look more masculine. Women are (generally, not always) hourglass-shaped, and men are (again, generally) like upside-down triangles: Bigger shoulder, tapering down to waist and hips which should be about even.

Hope that helps!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:37 am
I second Ninee. Personally, I'm pretty girly too and look like I'm jailbait. I crossplay more often than not *poor closet has so few girl costumes in it* but being kinda feminine usually isn't so bad when cosplaying young boys. And honestly, don't worry about your eyelashes. My husband has the longest lashes of anyone I know and it doesn't really make him look more girly (just makes all the girls he meets jealous).

@L Ryusaki Lawliet: I'm not really sure, since I usually cosplay males, but I'd suggest make-up. Have the eyeliner and eyeshadows, even if the character doesn't call for it, because it adds definition in pictures. Shape your eyebrows and use a tinted lip gloss... lol, basically the opposite of what everyone's been telling dragonhealer to do ~ Others might have better ideas though because.. yeah.. I don't dress like girls often.

kamifubuki

Cheim

Fashionable Lunatic

6,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 am
I lucked out and got my dad's ehavy germanic jawline..and haven't ben a single female coslay..EVER. I've been Xaldin, vexen, Saix, sarutobi Sasuke and Chosoukabe motochika from the video game sengoku basara.....schuldich from weiss Kruez.....leon orcot from petshop of orros..and even dark link from ledgen of Zelda! i have c-cup breasts, but a slightly smaller sports bra seems to be all i need for a 'manchest'.

althouigh for arslan, who is VERY shirtless, I wear a flesh toned sportsbra instead of any of theothers i have under the costume...and unless people actually know who i am OUT of the costume, they say 'is that a girl..or a guy' a lot. heh.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:56 am
also...don't worry a bout 'walking like a guy' cosplay's like acting..watch the character you're trying to BE move...and move like that. it's easier than trying to make somene else's moves fit your mold. ^_^

and always, ignore the eptty cmplaints..you did what you could with what you had..and the time you had...if they don't like it, then it doesn't matter..you're at a con for FUN...not a fashionista uprising. ^___^  

Cheim

Fashionable Lunatic

6,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

Yuan Zi Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:18 am

L Ryusaki Lawliet
Im having the exact oppisite of your problem Im a girl who wants to cosplay as a girl but I have a umm...how do I put it....guyish face...I always get mistaken for a guy... ;~; any advice on this? *stares at chest* GROW DAMMIT!

If you want to look more feminine, it's the same stages, just a different way of doing it all. It does require a few more things than with trying to look masculine, though, like mascara.

So what you do is this:

First, obviously, see if you can find fake breasts. Don't find huge ones. You might be able to find gel-like ones... In fact, you could even pad a bra with a thick balloon filled with water or jello... Or foam. But be careful what you wish for. Ahee~ I know some girls who wanted large chests, and then it happened, and they have to get it reduced or they'll have back problems~.

Take a white brow pencil and outline what you want your eyebrows to look like. Tweeze what's outside of the lines.

Clean your face, make sure it's dry. Then, apply liquid foundation on your face. Don't be stubborn, but don't apply too much. This will reduce redness on your face. Now, take the concealer and apply it to certain areas of your face: cheekbones, a little under the eye, a bit under the eyebrows, and a dab on the T of your face. You can always apply more as you go along, but start out light. Now, take your bronzer and apply that around your cheek bones and on the bridge of your nose--this is optional. Take your blush and put that on your cheeks. Watch a pro do it first! I've seen some bad blush-jobs out there. Eyeliner; I can't really explain, but be careful if you have thicker eyelids, where it'll be hard to get the liner to match with the lashes. Another optional thing is eyeshadow... Pick something dramatic, but something that won't make you look freakish. Remember, put the light on first, then the dark, then the darkest.
Stretch your lips so the lipstick will go on more smoothly. Color is up to you--but in my humblest opinion, never wear bright red. Now, put the lipstick on, pat your lips down, put on mascara (I don't have to explain).

Now, remember, the key is light and airy. Do you still feel light and airy? If not, you might not have the right cosmetics. Next time, try another company--it's expensive, but it's all trial and error. Oh, and also, do you look sexier? More importantly, feel sexier? But don't forget to act feminine--sometimes, it's even better than makeup.

biggrin

Hope it helped.

...After I go against it; the winning moment's Purple Line...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Vahn Malice

Do. Not. Use. Ace. Bandages. If you have $40, buy a compression vest. Seriously. You put it on, pull your breasts apart so they look normal, and there you go. It doesn't even get in the way of your breathing very much, but an ace bandage can actually malform your breasts if it shifts and whatnot. Dangerous. However, if you have a flat chest, try a good, tight sports bra that's not too constricted, but enough to make you look more plausible.

About your eyelashes: You could leave them; because a lot of men have long ones, too, or you could carefully trim a little of them... And I do mean carefully. Scissors near the eyes is a frightful thing.

Now, about walking: Men walk kind of slouchy... I cross my legs when I walk, but that's a testament to my sexuality, hahah... heart Walk straight. Keep your feet pointed outward. Slouch your shoulders. Relax. Walk like you know where you're going.

Hope it all helps. biggrin

I agree with you all. Nice tips. With walking, Definitely slouch a little and it's about the attitude and what your character, as a guy, is thinking. Nice, laid back, bent knees. A casual stride, unless your character is an uptight strict person. Put your pelvis forward a little and tuck that butt in, adding to the slouch and elongating your torso, making people focus on your abs and NOT your chest. Oh and the cologne, Nice touch. That's genius. I never thought of the sense of smell. Thanks ya'll! biggrin  

Roeau

Roeau

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:19 pm
Can anyone help a fresh Cross-Play wannabe? I love anime and I've always wanted to cross-play but I don't get a chance to watch it like I used to. So before I start, I was wondering if anyone could look at some of my pics and tell me which characters I could possibly fit the description for before I start buying materials and costume pieces? If anyone could, That would be a great help.

Thanks!
''Roeau''

Roeau1
Roeau2
Roeau3
Roeau4
Roeau5
Roeau6
Roeau7
Roeau8  
[Cosplay] Creations & Gatherings

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]