Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply 40k Discussion
The Chaos Space Marines Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 195 196 197 198 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:15 am
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Van Evok
Asmusei
Van Evok
my advice, wait a little bit longer and get new dex, because what works now can be obsolete soon (as Necrons have suffered lately...)
Well, I'm not too sure about that; I've been watching Beat Matt Batreps on Youtube, a series where people challenge a particular guy in a small Canadian company, and the Regeneration Protocol has alone paid itself off in points in nearly every single game. The latest one was going against Chaos and they both milled each other down before he finally lost, someone posted of having the same lists and absolutely wasted Chaos with his Necrons.

I'll take your advice and not build the army quite yet, thank you guys. I think that I'll be okay in assembling the basic marines that I have now and then look at what the best army setup will be.

While Necrons are still viable as competitive army (and they got transports!) some choices aren't what they used to be - Monolith isn't immune to melta rule anymore, for example which vastly diminishes it's survivability...
So they nurfed it to balance against new stuff? That doesn't make any sense. GW needs to rethink things.
Actually, Necrons have been written with the 6th edition in mind, much like say, codex: Orks was released around the end of the 4th, but written with the 5th edition in mind.
That's even more stupid; they should have had been working on all the codexes, new units and new edition to be released all at the same time. If they want people to actually like the game and not get pissed and fed up with these idiotic partial updates they need to get things straight.

hear me hear me... what about a big "army lists book" to go with every new edition replacing the dexes? standard universal special rules included, wargear listed, but no fluff etc., it would easily fit into large 300 page book. but guess what? GW is milking all the army jumpers who buy "new and overpowered" army every season. so don't expect that to happen...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:14 am
Van Evok
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Van Evok

While Necrons are still viable as competitive army (and they got transports!) some choices aren't what they used to be - Monolith isn't immune to melta rule anymore, for example which vastly diminishes it's survivability...
So they nurfed it to balance against new stuff? That doesn't make any sense. GW needs to rethink things.
Actually, Necrons have been written with the 6th edition in mind, much like say, codex: Orks was released around the end of the 4th, but written with the 5th edition in mind.
That's even more stupid; they should have had been working on all the codexes, new units and new edition to be released all at the same time. If they want people to actually like the game and not get pissed and fed up with these idiotic partial updates they need to get things straight.

hear me hear me... what about a big "army lists book" to go with every new edition replacing the dexes? standard universal special rules included, wargear listed, but no fluff etc., it would easily fit into large 300 page book. but guess what? GW is milking all the army jumpers who buy "new and overpowered" army every season. so don't expect that to happen...
6th edition might come with a massive FAQ dealing with each army and how the new rules might affect certain units and their abilities.

As for the whole "release everything at once" remark: If GW did that they'd have one busy month and the rest of the year a lot of doing nothing at all. Writing lists and rules in advance does help negate something the old Witch Hunters codex suffered from, as it was released right before the 4th edition and didn't get any of that new stuff in preparation for the coming carnage.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 am
Lady Blodwynn
Van Evok
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Van Evok

6th edition might come with a massive FAQ dealing with each army and how the new rules might affect certain units and their abilities.

As for the whole "release everything at once" remark: If GW did that they'd have one busy month and the rest of the year a lot of doing nothing at all. Writing lists and rules in advance does help negate something the old Witch Hunters codex suffered from, as it was released right before the 4th edition and didn't get any of that new stuff in preparation for the coming carnage.
Well, after reading what both of you have said, my thoughts are this:
1) They'd work on it pretty much all year, then spend the month before the launch working in the launch. After that, they could spend a year cleaning up Apocalypse so it makes more sense, then the third year on Fantasy Warhammer. From that point on, they could easily start a new game entirely or even start production on cheap terrain, like some basic cove that's only some six inches long and go for ten bucks, unpainted. However, it seems that over-paying for minis just isn't enough, they need to catch guys like me who aren't even sure if the minis they bought for a chess board can be used in the next year or so.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:26 am
Asmusei
Lady Blodwynn
Van Evok
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman

1) They'd work on it pretty much all year, then spend the month before the launch working in the launch. After that, they could spend a year cleaning up Apocalypse so it makes more sense, then the third year on Fantasy Warhammer. From that point on, they could easily start a new game entirely or even start production on cheap terrain, like some basic cove that's only some six inches long and go for ten bucks, unpainted. However, it seems that over-paying for minis just isn't enough, they need to catch guys like me who aren't even sure if the minis they bought for a chess board can be used in the next year or so.
doing that would make gw die even harder  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 am
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Lady Blodwynn
Van Evok
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman

doing that would make gw die even harder
How so? Their prices are way over the top for so little and have quite a few less customers for that alone. My brother, for one, loves the books and fluff, but refuses to pay so much. At the massive scale they produce minis, they shouldn't be so expensive...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 pm
Asmusei
How so? Their prices are way over the top for so little and have quite a few less customers for that alone. My brother, for one, loves the books and fluff, but refuses to pay so much. At the massive scale they produce minis, they shouldn't be so expensive...
A company like GW, while the biggest miniature gaming company out there, is still a small company compared to other stuff. Yes they are pricing their own customers out of reach, but that is something you need to take up with the share holders, the bean counters and Kirby.

They can't release everything in one month and run the rest of the year without any form of release, it would kill them in more than one way and would oversaturate their own market to such a degree that it would really, really hurt them. Also, think about this one: Do you have any idea how long it would take to prep fourteen plus (14+) armies for one single release date? The design studio is a small one, manned by less than half a dozen writers spread across three systems who spend well over a year working on a codex. Then there are the kits new codex books require, because heaven forbid we have a codex with new unit entries and all of the new units not having models, not to mention that the kits sell army books.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 pm
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
A company like GW, while the biggest miniature gaming company out there, is still a small company compared to other stuff. Yes they are pricing their own customers out of reach, but that is something you need to take up with the share holders, the bean counters and Kirby.

They can't release everything in one month and run the rest of the year without any form of release, it would kill them in more than one way and would oversaturate their own market to such a degree that it would really, really hurt them. Also, think about this one: Do you have any idea how long it would take to prep fourteen plus (14+) armies for one single release date? The design studio is a small one, manned by less than half a dozen writers spread across three systems who spend well over a year working on a codex. Then there are the kits new codex books require, because heaven forbid we have a codex with new unit entries and all of the new units not having models, not to mention that the kits sell army books.
I didn't know how tiny their operation was! It just seemed that spending the year working as usual to send everything out at once would be easier and more steady for work.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei

I didn't know how tiny their operation was! It just seemed that spending the year working as usual to send everything out at once would be easier and more steady for work.
Doing that would result in GW not releasing anything for months, which can cost the company dearly, especially when they have a rather murderous but effective "every month a slew of releases" schedule that they have maintained for years now.

GW is large when it comes down to staff, problem is though, their design staff is well, small. Half a dozen writers, about a dozen or so miniature designers, the pressure is really on for those guys.

In the end though, I wouldn't worry too much, for when the 6th edition hits hard with its many radical changes, everybody will be at some sort of disadvantage. GW will release an extensive FAQ for each army out there, with exception to the Sisters, whom are stuck with a WD codex for the time being.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 pm
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei

Doing that would result in GW not releasing anything for months, which can cost the company dearly, especially when they have a rather murderous but effective "every month a slew of releases" schedule that they have maintained for years now.

GW is large when it comes down to staff, problem is though, their design staff is well, small. Half a dozen writers, about a dozen or so miniature designers, the pressure is really on for those guys.

In the end though, I wouldn't worry too much, for when the 6th edition hits hard with its many radical changes, everybody will be at some sort of disadvantage. GW will release an extensive FAQ for each army out there, with exception to the Sisters, whom are stuck with a WD codex for the time being.
I see, thank you for correcting me. Hopefully they will beef up the Tu a bit and keep the Marines mostly the same, it wouldn't work out so well if they did they are looking pretty damn good compared to anything else that size.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:54 pm
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei

I see, thank you for correcting me. Hopefully they will beef up the Tu a bit and keep the Marines mostly the same, it wouldn't work out so well if they did they are looking pretty damn good compared to anything else that size.
If the current flow of info is true, everybody will be affected by this, in more than one way.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:56 pm
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei

poor red-headed stepdaughters of the emperor... razz
about only thing I'd like to see in 6th would be hitting transports with severe nerfhammer, mech armies from IG to razor marines just rub me wrong way, what is the point of painting your infantry if it usually doesn't even leave (relatively) safe vehicle? add to this ridiculous resilience of the vehicles (only one in 3 penetrations result in destruction, and glancing hits mostly do nothing...) and the fact some transports sport more firepower than embarked squad (chimera and DE Venom are prime examples) and you get the point...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:05 pm
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei

If the current flow of info is true, everybody will be affected by this, in more than one way.
We can only hope it won't be like how they butchered the arcane stuff back in, what was it, 3rd? I had, at least, been told that the Chaos codex years ago had been almost as big as the handbook itself.  

Asmusei

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 pm
Van Evok
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei
Lt. Brookman
Asmusei

poor red-headed stepdaughters of the emperor... razz
about only thing I'd like to see in 6th would be hitting transports with severe nerfhammer, mech armies from IG to razor marines just rub me wrong way, what is the point of painting your infantry if it usually doesn't even leave (relatively) safe vehicle? add to this ridiculous resilience of the vehicles (only one in 3 penetrations result in destruction, and glancing hits mostly do nothing...) and the fact some transports sport more firepower than embarked squad (chimera and DE Venom are prime examples) and you get the point...
rolleyes A lot of people think vehicles are useless in combat games, but they're some of the most important things ever built, tanks designed to have the armor of a building made mobile. And I still find CC to be ridiculous; if the range on all weapons hadn't been nerfed to all hell, then no one would ever see the Tau, they'd simply guide rail rounds through atmosphere with the rotation of the planet, magnetic poles and gravitational pull calculated so a single slug would level one of those massive strongholds they love so much, along with the Tanks and Broadsides being able to snipe from well over ten miles away.
But the game wouldn't be fun that way either.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:40 am
Hey guys, hey fellas, get back on topic of spiky beakies before you get slapped on the wrist.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:58 am
Kaori Kapoigne
Hey guys, hey fellas, get back on topic of spiky beakies before you get slapped on the wrist.

re: CSM - to be honest, i'd like to see chaos lords with eternal warrior, or at least option for it - just to give some challenge to the demon princes roaming the battlefield
other than that, chosen would be nice to have some other skills than infiltration
just my 2 $%  
40k Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 195 196 197 198 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces