Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leviathan Stadium

Back to Guilds

A battle Stadium for literate roleplayers. 

Tags: Literate, Fighting, Battle, Arena, Levi 

Reply Storage
Dispute Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hi Im Reiko

Aged Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:39 pm
"Literate."

Lol. There is no such thing as a "literate" roleplayer. Because this implies that one can read/write and others cannot. All roleplayers can read and write.. that's why they are roleplaying.

All of these labels that you roleplayers create don't elevate you in the slightest bit. It all sounds like nonsense. "Oh you gotta type this many words." "Oh you gotta have perfect grammar." "Oh you gotta be sucking two dicks instead of one."

2/3rds of you ******** don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "there", "their", and "they're." And if you do know the difference now that I've spelled out the words, you never apply the knowledge so it still looks like you don't know s**t because knowledge is dead without application.

-point--

I thought roleplaying was about being able to effectively carry the story from point A to B with your character's persona intact.

In fact.. isn't that all it's about?

Why don't you guys get away from the politics of it?

There is no such thing as "semi-lit". Some people don't have any intent to "write beautifully." They tell you what you need to know so a goal can be accomplished or a point can be reached. It doesn't make them any less "talented" of a roleplayer than the next person because they've fulfilled their obligations in the rp.

1) Have fun
2) Be in character
3) Progress the story in a fair way.

The only "elites" are the people who've mastered the basics... not the extraneous, miscellaneous bullshit.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:54 pm
Mr. Crawley
Oh I am well aware of this little mantra of "we not jez a fitin place!"

The statement that ultimately signaled that this place had become weak.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, which I don't think I am because I'm mounting an argument, but

1) this is a roleplaying guild, albeit focused on combat more so than others. Ultimately, a battle thread is still a RP and while yes 'knowing how' to effectively fight is important, the main focus is still on portraying a character well rather than knowing every single martial arts move and having a high win count.

2) its just a roleplaying guild. Having a guild full of people who know how to write about fighting does not make a 'strong guild'. It makes a guild full of people who have the time to spend researching fighting style and techniques and hypothesizing about fights. Nor does having a guild focus on roleplaying make it a weak guild. 'Weak' and 'strong' are not adjectives that apply to an online forum guild, 'popular' and 'bad' are. In the end, nothing that takes place here achieves anything that really affects real life besides the emotions generated through roleplaying whatever.  

WheresMyCow

Hi Im Reiko

Aged Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:38 pm
This place started out as a breeding ground for fighters.

Now it's a breeding ground for sissies.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with that?

And now that I think about it.. the guild was one of the worst things to happen to LS.

Because everyone started "getting to know" eachother. And then became family and didn't want to hurt eachother.

And everyone was just fine with this and got weaker and weaker...

Until now.. the only thing this place breeds is baby mama drama  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:16 pm
The focus changed, it happens. At first, I was so into battle RP's and I probably would have agreed with you at the time. Now, I'm more into the RP experience so what I find fun now is different. Really, I don't think any online battle RP thread/guild bred fighters, it just helped people RP fights better. Dojos and military boot camp are breeding grounds for fighters. There's nothing sissy about wanting to focus on characters and intricate stories so long as the parties involved have fun. Don't like it, don't RP with them. Just stick with the crowd in the guild that like to exclusively RP fights. Because really, you don't actually fight each other, it's a made-up character who is fighting and thus in no way reflects your abilities. You are not your character, you aren't the one fighting and hence not getting any stronger or weaker from the experience.

But I can agree with you on the whole not wanting to hurt each other and the drama bit. I mean, a level of disassociation please. Who cares if someone seriously hurt your character or Kraun's mauled yours horribly (I haven't been on the receiving end of this so I don't really know how bad such an experience could be): it's a freakin' RP. Make another character or come up with a viable reason for them to be repaired/brought back to life. As RP'ers, we should at least be polite and slightly respectful to each other if we are going to interact with each other. If you can't stand their guts, don't RP or talk to/about them. But as for our characters: so long as the other player isn't taking liberties, who the ******** cares about getting along or treating each other nicely? I'm playing a villain on an RP thread, all the other characters hate his guts but I get along perfectly with the players. They don't hold it against me that my character slaughtered everyone around them, held them hostage, tortured them and made them fail their mission (fun times, fun times). I'll concede though that since I'm new, I don't know the entire situation so I could be misinterpreting things. If so, *bow* my apologies.

The whole RP thing is supposed to be fun and relaxing. The fact that Enki (and I do apologize for bringing this up and hope I'm not causing any more problems) couldn't go on here during his time of stress should be an eye-opener. If you don't like someone, don't talk to them or about them and walk your separate ways. I don't see the need for any drama and please no finger pointing.

... I'm going to get into trouble for this aren't I?  

WheresMyCow

Hi Im Reiko

Aged Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:42 pm
Who said anything about only doing rp fights?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 pm
You know, part of me wants to chastise Rei for insisting that my guild is weak due to a lack of extremely good fighters.

Though...

Another part of me kind of agrees. I mean, people like Maximos and myself have gotten a little rusty due to LIFE taking over, which sucks, but we can still fight up there with some of the best of them. I need to take some of these newbies who join on a daily basis and CHALLENGE THEM!!! scream  

Enki Leviathan
Crew

WheresMyCow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:56 pm
I think my point was that it's okay for people to RP and not have to have combat capable characters rather than saying that you only RP fight or that you do only RP fights. You could fight in real life but that's none of my business and probably not the point you were making with your statement.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:14 pm
Enki Leviathan
You know, part of me wants to chastise Rei for insisting that my guild is weak due to a lack of extremely good fighters.
Psh. You can't cause you know it's true.

The next World Leviathan Storyline should be about helping My Little Pony get to the bay in time to see the sunset.

That seems fitting of the breed of people here.  

Hi Im Reiko

Aged Sex Symbol

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:09 pm
As I understand it (as intended, not necessarily as practiced), the Stadium and Void threads exist solely for asskickery.

All the other threads are just there for flavor RPing if people want to. Fighting optional.

It doesn't seem like such a bad system when you look at it how it's intended. Though what happened was that there are now several dozen RPing threads, and still only two purely fighting threads. Sure, fights break out everywhere from time to time, but there's hardly any straight-up throwing-down.

...might be worth throwing together a few new 'arena setting' threads for the main forum and moving the non-fight-centric threads to the sub-forums. Keep the Stadium, the Void, and then throw together some of the various ring types like 'the pit', or 'the sky ring', or any of the other ones the Stadium is supposed to have.

Make the main forum Fight Central, and expand the Rankings to allow points to any of the Stadium-Arena threads.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:59 am
themightyjello
As I understand it (as intended, not necessarily as practiced), the Stadium and Void threads exist solely for asskickery.

All the other threads are just there for flavor RPing if people want to. Fighting optional.

It doesn't seem like such a bad system when you look at it how it's intended. Though what happened was that there are now several dozen RPing threads, and still only two purely fighting threads. Sure, fights break out everywhere from time to time, but there's hardly any straight-up throwing-down.

...might be worth throwing together a few new 'arena setting' threads for the main forum and moving the non-fight-centric threads to the sub-forums. Keep the Stadium, the Void, and then throw together some of the various ring types like 'the pit', or 'the sky ring', or any of the other ones the Stadium is supposed to have.

Make the main forum Fight Central, and expand the Rankings to allow points to any of the Stadium-Arena threads.

I agree very much with Jellos suggestion. We need to make new arena, new rings... new places to whoop some a**. Hey, Reiko... any chance I can nominate you to come up with some bad a** ideas for places to fight? Like... a constantly erupting volcano or tiny ledges on a bottomless pit or something...?  

Enki Leviathan
Crew

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:03 pm
Enki, read mod lounge and input.

I already came up with something with Maxi last night. *Points off that way.*

But yes, Reiko's suggestions would definitely be included. Because they'll no doubt be full of Black Panthers and like... Black Vulcan... and like... a black Vulcan... and (other racist commentary here). Probably a good deal of asskickery too.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:38 pm
I'm not dreaming up any more places to fight.

Because I feel like part of the fight decline was my fault, seeing as how I was among the first to push for "more places" back when the guild was originally created.

But my vision was different from a lot of other people's I guess.

LS Majority, "Ah, more settings to rp would be nice"
Reiko, "Ah.. more settings to fight would be nice"

Creating more places will just create more blank threads for people to do nothing in. I've already said how I felt about that whole ordeal..

Y'know.. the whole.. "Delete 85% of all the threads and replace the broad scope of (x) town with (x) place because it would be more specific and 'event friendly' prompting more interaction and less idling since everyone will be more accessible if they are gathered in mostly the same place"

What we (lol we) have is fine, I just think it should be revised. "More" will do more to harm than help.  

Hi Im Reiko

Aged Sex Symbol

Idolwise-Gloomwerk

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:29 am
*clears throat* Ahem!

A while back I remember there being a great deal of work put into quests and weapons and stuff. I'm not sure if that took of or not but I thought it was a great idea. It gave us alternate story lines to follow and rewards to gain. If someone moderated those threads and provided the voice for the npc's it would also allow for interactivity.

Also I still believe new blood is the answer. Start a recruitment drive in the old thread, hell revamp the old thread as an entry or gateway for new people to work their way into the guild.

I just got back into the game and I'd hate to see this place die out.

EDIT: I just found the adventurers message board (damn this place got huge and organized!). All that stuff looks great so I imagine it's just a matter of someone to GM them when the need arises.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:08 pm
@ messageboard> if someone asks about the quests, or asks a mod to gm one, then it shall be done. if it's not there already, i'll put it there.

@ recruitment> i've been fielding quite a few apps. not everyone makes it for failure to just go where they're told to go... but we've had some new faces. so now it's a matter of making things good for everyone and encouraging rp. there's play in the barton stadium, so people can see that it's up, and people have been invited to the guild when those people impress whoever's there.

tldr; numbers isn't much an issue.

Uberwulf X
Crew

O.G. Werewolf

11,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Team Edward 100

Lady Sierra
Crew

Eloquent Inquisitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:28 am
Shite feck.... I'd say I have some reading to catch up on -_-; Sunday is my last class, I'll try and get to this on Monday.... jeebus.  
Storage

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff