Welcome to Gaia! ::

Leviathan Stadium

Back to Guilds

A battle Stadium for literate roleplayers. 

Tags: Literate, Fighting, Battle, Arena, Levi 

Reply Storage
Dispute Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:38 am
That doesn't have anything to do with elitism.

It has more to do with EPIC LEVEL CHARACTERS than the concept of "you people aren't cool enough to be down with the B-man".

So we can handle that as a separate dispute.

Also:
Quote:
--- (12:30:14 PM): Can we rename the Dispute thread the "Waah waah the Levi sucks and you're all pricks" thread?

TheMightyJello (12:34:33 PM): More or less.

--- (12:36:23 PM): Some things don't change I gues.

It's nice to know that everyone realizes what this thread is for. It'd be a shame if we actually used it to discuss meaningful things (example: invite-only threads, army vs. person conflicts, level requirement for doing quests) or resolve conflicts (example: DASH AND REIKO DESTROY THE LEVIATHAN UNIVERSE).  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:57 am
Kanashimi Kurai
You've got people like Ed, B, and you Maxi, just to name a few, who are absolutely great at RP'ing and RP'ing battle and combat. You have powerful characters that kick much a**... However, there are people in this guild that aren't as good at RP'ing as you or who aren't as good at RP'ing combat as you, or whoes characters aren't as powerful as yours...

Examples...

Ed: The Babel plot ran for a while, included Ed, Sierra, Sunny, Kat, I think Hono was there too.

Maxi: Look at Shadow Island. Nothing there involves combat at all, really. I think D is playing hide-and-seek right now.

Ed: Pirate Lord? I remember looking at the pirate thread and seeing no super-pirates at all, and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Maxi: Ruuvan got lead around for months completing an 'epic quest', despite that he was just... failing kinda hard at combat. It was compensated for.

B: ... ... ...everything B does involves zombies or soul stealing.

The moral of this story? B is HARD MODE. This is not the kiddie pool.  

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

Kanashimi Kurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:07 am
I was not having a good time in the Pirate Lord RP... because Ed stopped responding to me, thank you very much. I don't get invited to Ed's plot lines so don't even mention those to me because I know I've told you fifty billion times that Ed ignores me IC.

And if there's no combat on Shadow Island, fine, I'll just move my roleplay there.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:09 am
That's a problem between you and Ed.

However, you held Ed up as an example for your "LEVEL 50 REQUIRED" statement, so I had to include him in my list of examples.  

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100

Hi Im Reiko

Aged Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:24 pm
Sounds like some people probably just shouldn't get involved then.

I mean I'm just saying. You take the risk you accept the consequences.

Tailor made crisis(es) crisies.. whatever... should not be encouraged.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:36 pm
Mr. Crawley
Sounds like some people probably just shouldn't get involved then.

I mean I'm just saying. You take the risk you accept the consequences.

Tailor made crisis(es) crisies.. whatever... should not be encouraged.

An attitude like that doesn't leave much room for a learning curve, though. Not everyone is born being able to do this stuff and do it well.  

Essemecks

Distinct Member

Ryugi Kazamaru

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:24 pm
I think what Kana was trying to say was that the whole "Hero Character" mentality that some individuals use to justify alot of what they do is irritating to most of the other roleplayers in Levi, and somewhat unfair.

For example, one of these "Hero Characters" goes into a situation that has arisen, and completely defeats everything using their powers etc., and using the fact that they are these types of "Hero Characters" to deal with the situation.

Whereas a regular run-of-the-mill roleplayer with a "Normal Character" goes into the same situation, attempts to do the same things the "Hero Character" would do, and is either put down, laughed at, called a n00b, or many other things, and more or less is unable to do anything to help the situation reguardless of the fact that they have done almost the exact same thing as one of these "Hero Characters".

For example, we have "Destruction" coming up soon, and its going to be a guild-wide event. That means MANY characters are going to be involved in the plot, as well as many of the "Hero Character" types. I believe Kana is saying that the plot of that event is going to be dictated by the actions of the "Hero Characters" while everyone else is ignored, laughed at, or stomped out, due to the overwhealming power of the enemies that everyone is bound to face, and the idea that the "Hero Characters" will be directing the flow.

In that case, what I think she is saying is that everyone's actions should count as much as anyone else's. If a "Hero Character" attacks an enemy in one way and is able to destroy half the enemy squad with their attacks, a "Normal Character" who attempts to do the same should be able to do so as well, and not laughed out, put down, or otherwise be unable to accomplish the same effect with their actions.

I'm sure she's not saying if the attack is completely outlandish or doesn't make sense that it should be allowed to work, just that the actions of one character should not be taken or held in a higher reguard simply because of who that character or person is.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:44 pm
Why is there such imbalance in character power anyways? This isn't an MMO. You don't grind to level 70 while other people are stuck in Stranglethorn Vale getting ganked. In a world where anyone can join at any level, the only real moderating factor is that people have to accept whether or not other people deem their character concept as being "reasonable". How do a few people get away with not meeting the same definition of "reasonable" as everyone else?  

Essemecks

Distinct Member

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:01 pm
Only thing I can think of to respond to that is: "People just accept it."

I mean... back with the Destroyer running around in the stadium now and again, if people ran into him they knew they were ******** straight off without even needing to factor in the fact that the person RPing it was just much... much better than them.

If a community as a whole just generally accepts that one person's character is stronger than the 'average' (and that's even factoring in for the fact that Gaians as a while are far above par)... then you have that. They're like the people on an MMO server that win the PvP competition and get that special title or costume item as a trophy.

Other than that it comes down to this:

I have a dispute with people that don't even try.

So there's something happening. You go there to RP. You want to do something to make a difference. You get there, start doing something, and it's actually... y'know... hard. So you have two options: quit or effort.

I have a problem with people that, before they even start, just assume that nothing they could ever do would have the kind of effect they wanted.

And you know... sometimes it IS true. Some characters are designed for combat, some aren't. There's a major difference there. Some characters have abilities with a lot of AoE potential, some don't. There's another major difference that can draw the line between taking out half an army and taking out two or three people.

Though the vast majority of the time when I hear it... people complain that they can't do anything, even though they haven't tried yet.

I'm not defending any plotlines or anything. I'm not saying that sometimes people don't hold out for their friend/rival-desu/character they've had relations with in the past/someone special to perform that major act. Sometimes they do, and that's not really fair play. But hell, it's storytelling at least.

At least it's not "no, go away".  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:44 am
Tenma, that is a slight form of elitism, but simply because the Leviathan Stadium does provide more quality RP that many of the hundreds of Vampire/Highschool/Yaoi Rp's. My career as an RP started in a thread I ran though did not own entitled "FANTASY RP ANYONE ENTER". There are quality threads in Barton and everyone in the guild realizes this, but the truth of the matter is that they are far and in between.

While we do specialize ourselves it is not because of pride, we do not ignore the quality threads or locations, as we as moderators have made motions to include those threads in our world, and in our events such as HoH. But Barton en masse is a mess.

Kanashimi Kurai
Those people get shut out of the big plotlines because there's really nothing they can do except get their asses kicked and if B's the one they're fighting, possibly die, because we all know how brutal B is. No offense B, but you seem to offer people who lose to you two options: Die or make your character my slave whenever you go IC.

Some people really don't want to kill off their character or have to worry about B knocking on their door because he wants their character to fulfill the gaes his character has put them under... which I might add, the gaes one of my own characters is currently under = death if she doesn't complete it. Not something people want to go into Roleplay looking forward too.

We have made RP to mimic a more fantastic version of real life. If you step outside of your house, a moderator does not assure you that a person will not mug you. If you engage and individual on the street in combat, a moderator does not assure you that they will not kill you. This has been debated time and time again, and time and time again the argument that we RP our world as we would reality continue, and will continue to prevail.

You were not trapped with that particular Gaes because you simply entered the stadium, you chose to RP with Baldwin, and you chose to continue interactions with that character. Accept responsibility for your actions.

If you were on the street, walking, and there was a riot blocking off the road you were walking on, you have the choice of entering it, or avoiding it. If you choose to enter it you have no right to complain to the police, or in this case the moderators because you were injured.

Kanashimi Kurai
Maybe what you guys need to think about doing is possibly scaling things back a bit. Offer weaker and non-combatant characters something to get involved in when you're doing your large scale plots.

I could be totally wrong on all of this, but this, to me, seems to be one of the biggest problems that's causing the little cliques that people are seeing.

You are in-fact incorrect. Just like entering your first day of work, you do not simply engage in the most difficult task available the first day you go to work. If you work at a factory you do not walk into the door without proper training and jump on the assembly line, you avoid those tasks until you are prepared for them.

But in the same vein you cannot simply do away with the assembly line as it provides important functions. Barton was a difficult RP, but it was necessary, much like that assembly line, if a character or person was not ready for it they should have avoided it.

As for things for more mundane characters to accomplish the Adventurers Messageboard, there are dozens small to large missions located there which will allow any character to increase their fame and possibly collect several of the rare artifacts. All any individual needs to do is contact any available moderator and accept a given task. The messageboard has been present for months.

Kanashimi Kurai
And if there's no combat on Shadow Island, fine, I'll just move my roleplay there.

For personal reasons, as the owner of Shadow Island I would prefer if you did not.

Damian Felheart
Why is there such imbalance in character power anyways? This isn't an MMO. You don't grind to level 70 while other people are stuck in Stranglethorn Vale getting ganked. In a world where anyone can join at any level, the only real moderating factor is that people have to accept whether or not other people deem their character concept as being "reasonable". How do a few people get away with not meeting the same definition of "reasonable" as everyone else?

Because, particular individuals choose to make characters that are almost completely mundane, with little to no power or supernatural ability. And then the very same individuals expect to be invited into threads, events, and roleplays, currently involving individuals who choose to roleplay characters with more "power".

At which point, Kanashimi's above argument comes into play, because a large scale zombie invasion does not cater to more mundane characters. Kanashimi is arguing that it should, when in truth it should and cannot. Those who have chosen to accept, and create those types of characters should accept as a part of that creation process that they will not be able to be involved in more dangerous power based RP.

Again, that has nothing to do with Elitism. The owners of more mundane characters CHOSE to make those characters, and CHOSE that as their field of play. There is more than ample room to roleplay those types of characters together, though they are in fact in the minority.

They are not treated as "lesser", it is a simple fact that placed against Vahn, Josh, Tzennidar, Providence, Maximos, Cris Reinhart, Ryugi Kazamaru, Johnathan Tomorrow, and several of the other power based characters they do infact possess (by their own will), less supernatural power. That is not an elitist opinion, that is simple fact. Joesph Brown (a normal human character), does not contain as much Supernatural Power as Maximos. It is a fact.

That does not make me an elitist.

And no moderator can adjust a character's basis.

themightyjello

I mean... back with the Destroyer running around in the stadium now and again, if people ran into him they knew they were ******** straight off without even needing to factor in the fact that the person RPing it was just much... much better than them.

Because the Destroyer was a murdering, psychotic, wild, maniac. He existed to kill and slaughter, and cause suffering to anyone and anything he could. That did not involve skill it involved randomly tossing himself at an individual laughing in bliss as his limbs were torn to shreds and returning said treatment.

He never imprisoned anyone, and anyone had the opportunity to leave the fight if it got too rough. This statement is proved true by the fact that several individuals did just that during their fight with the Destroyer and were easily allowed to escape with no chase being given. Though the Destroyer is a prime example of a Supernatural threat. A simple mundane "police officer" character, or "business man", is not going to fell him.

This is not elitism, but a fact of supernatural interaction with the mundane.

It appears more and more evident that Elitism is being used as the reason and excuse to cover for the responsibility people have for there decisions and abilities. As Damien mentioned, everyone does not come in as a great RPer, but that does not mean that the great RPers should be forced to only engage in lesser RP's, or that they are elitists for being more experienced.  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Sunstrike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:12 am
themightyjello

:raises hand: This was true, I completely ran into him and was royally ********. Ed had to come bail me out...in fact...that happens a lot. But hell if I didn't have the most fun I'd ever had in an RP.

No wonder he and Max sometimes get thrust out as hero or key characters, what with most of us grasping for someone to hold our hands through the tough bits as if they were the only people in this guild with a bit of brain cell enough to write up some nice stuff.

So complain all you like about the pedestals, but hell, it's a double edged sword on those things. People like and respect what you do when you involve them, but it's like rehashing the same old crap without any chance to develop your character into something new. And, heaven forbid, when you DON'T involve them, suddenly you're too good for everyone else, and arguments about elitism start.

So everyone had better get their s**t together and actually acting like the leaders you want to be, or fall back to the bit players your MEANT to be, and stop trying to undermine some really hard work on the part of people that actually WANT to put up with the s**t you all want to RP on a grand scale.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:26 pm
Maximos
As the first order of business, Chris you were banned because of the choice of wording in your post. You did not simply ask, "Why is there never any action taken against Akira?". Your comment was snidely put, containing a back handed insult, and a snide comment. Joshua had previous put up a warning against just that, and so you were banned.

...what?

My post contained none of these things.

Do you not think I put extra thought into posting disputes to make sure they're 100% neutral?

The funny thing is, whilst the mods are fabricating reasons why my dispute was so rude and whatnot, a simple apology would've made this go away.

Arrogance is all that factored in in this matter.

Arrogance and Josh acting as the Leviathan Fuhrer.

If I was so clearly wrong, why would TMJ ignore me when I questioned him about the matter first time around?

Saying "maybe he wasn't at the computer" is a lie, because he was responding to other people on AIM.

Same goes for "maybe he didn't want to deal with you" because it's his responsibility as a moderator.

Still, this is futile because the mods are too arrogant to apologise.

As for the Akira matter, I found nothing he said warranted the abuse he was dealt.

But maybe this is because I can impartial.  

Siat Dacore

Siat Dacore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:27 pm
Oh, and as for the whole "Some people are too tough!" debate...

THIS IS A BATTLE GUILD.

CAN'T STAND THE HEAT?

GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:38 pm
Only Joshua can answer as to his reasons for acting the way he did. And as the post has been deleted I cannot comment further on its contents.

I will go as far as to say, that if you had an issue IMing Joshua, there are 8 other moderators you could have attempted to contact.  

Maximos
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

themightyjello

Dapper Elocutionist

5,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:01 pm
Chris Custard
"maybe he didn't want to deal with you"

It's not my responsibility to babysit.

You've already been notified as to why there were consequences to your actions. "Trespassers will be shot" doesn't just not apply to people because they weren't there to try and sell you snake-oil. "The next person with a petty grievance will be temp banned and the thread will be locked" doesn't just not apply to you because your post didn't have any curse words.  
Storage

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff