Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Main Forum
I joined! ...Now what? Meeting, greeting, and direction Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your favorite part of the hobby?
  The gaming!
  The painting and modeling!
  The literature and background!
  The people! You guys are awesome!
  Everything! I can't choose!
View Results

Khissa_Kitten

Stubborn Doll

16,175 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:04 am
Do miniatures and stuff really make that much of a difference?

I'm asking this seriously. I've played both Dark Heresy and Black Crusade, but I've never played with minis or backgrounds or things like that. The closest to those kinds of things I've ever gotten was when I was playing Undermountain (DnD) and we had a grid map and some coins so we knew where in the maze we were.

I've had a lot of fun playing in the 40k universe without all the bells and whistles, and right now I can't really see a good reason to have all of that stuff besides wanting to show off your great paint job (which is why I'm asking, because I'm sure there are better reasons out there). If someone wants to know what a Bloodletter looks likes, you don't need a figure, you can just read the description or show a picture from the book. If you need to know formations for your fight, just ask the DM to remind you or draw a little diagram on some graph paper. We kept everything in our heads, which was a nice imaginative experience really. Everything else just seems like needless, expensive add-ons.

If I'm wrong here, please tell me!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 am
For RPGs, not strictly necessary, but for 40k itself and other strategy tabletop games, it's vital since you're managing full armies and sometimes the difference of a few millimeters of distance can make a big difference.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:55 am
Catling_Gunn

I'm asking this seriously. I've played both Dark Heresy and Black Crusade, but I've never played with minis or backgrounds or things like that. The closest to those kinds of things I've ever gotten was when I was playing Undermountain (DnD) and we had a grid map and some coins so we knew where in the maze we were.

I've had a lot of fun playing in the 40k universe without all the bells and whistles, and right now I can't really see a good reason to have all of that stuff besides wanting to show off your great paint job (which is why I'm asking, because I'm sure there are better reasons out there). If someone wants to know what a Bloodletter looks likes, you don't need a figure, you can just read the description or show a picture from the book. If you need to know formations for your fight, just ask the DM to remind you or draw a little diagram on some graph paper. We kept everything in our heads, which was a nice imaginative experience really. Everything else just seems like needless, expensive add-ons.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that 40k very much started out and still is mainly a tabletop miniatures game. While the roleplaying games certainly don't need miniatures, the tabletop game itself does. Not sure about Dark Heresy 2.0, but most FFG core rulebooks make mention of using minis, which is optional and more of a shout-out to veteran 40k players who have their collections on the shelf and love to bust out the weirder stuff from previous editions for those wacky encounters and nostalgia points.

One of the two Rogue Trader games I was in we all painted up a mini (chap on the right) to represent ourselves. Now, I'm a crap painter, but it was a fun occasion. We only used them once really, after that we switched to a more abstract, mapless form of combat when it involved our characters, which was hardly ever sadly. When we got down to void warfare however, we did bust out the big Chessex grid map and brought out the Battlefleet Gothic minis, because that just plays better that way. pirate Personally, call it a bit of superstition, but painting up a mini for a roleplay campaign is for me a way of showing that I'm dedicated to it and that I'm all in. Out of all the games I was in that certainly was the longest I was in, prolly because of the painted mini.

And to the others, with regards to not using models when playing 40k: There's always the option to proxy, though it is something of a hot button issue with some groups, because if you really want to play the game (talking about tabletop here), you will need to invest. This doesn't need to be a massive army straight away, it could just be a measly 500 pts, just so long as you have enough models to play with. Also, it's far more entertaining to play with actual models instead of coins or a bucket of toy soldiers. Granted, opinions on this greatly differ, but if you are fighting an opponent who has a nicely painted army, doesn't make you want to do the same?

The group I play is okay to some degree with proxies, so long as you don't keep on doing it. It gets old real fast when the same guy brings a tub of plastic soldiers to the table along with two bottles and says that's his ork army supported by two Stompas. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:24 pm
Thanks for the info. smile
I guess I never realized that there was quite that much difference between tabletop and roleplaying.  

Khissa_Kitten

Stubborn Doll

16,175 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 pm
Honestly, aside from the setting, the roleplay and tabletop game have very little in common with one another. The roleplay does do a better job at living up to the fluff as well. On the tabletop a single space marine is nothing, but in Deathwatch..

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Used to be that I would direct people to the army and rulebooks for info on 40k, but the way things are going now if someone wants to know more about the setting, I direct them to the RPG books instead, as they are steadily becoming more and more the end-all source of information on certain subjects. It certainly helps that FFG has been snatching up people like Andy Chambers, Andy Hoare and other ex-GW for writing duties, along with quite a few ascended fanboys.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:33 am
Seriously, deathwatch should just be called "violent power fantasy" User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

emotion_awesome  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Latex Goddess Xahria

Obsessive Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:20 pm
Catling_Gunn

You played Black Crusade!!! emotion_kirakira  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:05 pm
Latex Goddess Xahria
Catling_Gunn

YES! And I loved it. Being bad is so good.
I understand that you enjoy playing Slaaneshi characters. The one time I played I was Tzeentchian and a Khornate. Split personalities and such... A lot of my party started as Slaaaneshi cultists. Not a bad group of horrible people. wink  

Khissa_Kitten

Stubborn Doll

16,175 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100

Latex Goddess Xahria

Obsessive Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:48 pm
Catling_Gunn
Latex Goddess Xahria
Catling_Gunn

YES! And I loved it. Being bad is so good.
I understand that you enjoy playing Slaaneshi characters. The one time I played I was Tzeentchian and a Khornate. Split personalities and such... A lot of my party started as Slaaaneshi cultists. Not a bad group of horrible people. wink

Oh so horrible
There's something truly magnificently wicked about being a Slaaneshi psyker

Sure Tzeentchian is more powerful (generally), but Slaaneshi is just so much fun. There's something fantastically diabolical about raping the corpse of a Grey Knight.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:52 pm
Latex Goddess Xahria

Oh so horrible

Sure Tzeentchian is more powerful (generally), but Slaaneshi is just so much fun. There's something fantastically diabolical about raping the corpse of a Grey Knight.

All our Slaaneshi's were psykers. Mind raping people was a favorite. That and interesting uses of organ repo.
And that does sound amazingly evil. ******** hate Grey Knights.  

Khissa_Kitten

Stubborn Doll

16,175 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100

Latex Goddess Xahria

Obsessive Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:58 pm
Catling_Gunn
Latex Goddess Xahria

Oh so horrible

All our Slaaneshi's were psykers. Mind raping people was a favorite. That and interesting uses of organ repo.

Yes, my Daemon Prince(ess?) was absolutely brutal, defiling the corpses of all who she destroyed and then consuming them.

The Daughter of Slaanesh  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:06 pm
Latex Goddess Xahria
Catling_Gunn
Latex Goddess Xahria

Oh so horrible

Yes, my Daemon Prince(ess?) was absolutely brutal, defiling the corpses of all who she destroyed and then consuming them.

The Daughter of Slaanesh

I'm sure you made Mama/Papa proud.
And even though I was a chick in game, I preferred Daemon Prince. "Princess" sounds a little too... cute. Not appropriately terrifying for someone bearing the hand of Khorne.

Speaking of, what mutations did you get?  

Khissa_Kitten

Stubborn Doll

16,175 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100

Latex Goddess Xahria

Obsessive Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 pm
Catling_Gunn
Latex Goddess Xahria
Catling_Gunn
Latex Goddess Xahria

Oh so horrible

The Daughter of Slaanesh

And even though I was a chick in game, I preferred Daemon Prince. "Princess" sounds a little too... cute. Not appropriately terrifying for someone bearing the hand of Khorne.

Tell that to Xena lol

Winged, Darksoul, Warpsight, Warp Eater, Magnificent Horns, and a Tail upon Apotheosis (for purposes of RP it was not a tentacle despite being aligned to Slaanesh)

My gear included, a custom made (courtesy of our designated Heretek) Double Bladed Force Sword (which later i bound a daemon to, and upon apotheosis, consumed the daemon within), Xenos hide armour, with Psychic hood, Displacer Field (a truly wicked field to have), Synskin, and Mesh Cowl

Daemon Weapon traits
Accursed, Impervious, Impossibly Sharp, Swiftness, Shrieking

I like the risk of low binding strength for more power potential ;3  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:02 pm
Catling_Gunn
Latex Goddess Xahria
Catling_Gunn
Latex Goddess Xahria

Oh so horrible

The Daughter of Slaanesh

I just realized how the halibut did a Khornate get involved with Slaaneshi characters ???  

Latex Goddess Xahria

Obsessive Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Khissa_Kitten

Stubborn Doll

16,175 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:05 pm
Latex Goddess Xahria
]

Tell that to Xena lol

Winged, Darksoul, Warpsight, Warp Eater, Magnificent Horns, and a Tail upon Apotheosis (for purposes of RP it was not a tentacle despite being aligned to Slaanesh)

My gear included, a custom made (courtesy of our designated Heretek) Double Bladed Force Sword (which later i bound a daemon to, and upon apotheosis, consumed the daemon within), Xenos hide armour, with Psychic hood, Displacer Field (a truly wicked field to have), Synskin, and Mesh Cowl

Daemon Weapon traits
Accursed, Impervious, Impossibly Sharp, Swiftness, Shrieking

I like the risk of low binding strength for more power potential ;3

I had (at least on my Khorne side): Winged, Burning Body, Hand of Khorne, Steel Hearted, Slayer Limb with a power sword (it was unfortunately forcibly removed by an inquisitor early on), Daemon Name, and Daemon Weapon- a power scythe bound with the soul of a Bloodletter.

Gear: Power Armor special made to fit my wings, the power scythe, some Dark Eldar weaponry including 2 demiklaives and an agonizer, Khorne blessed bolter, my trusty chain sword from the beginning of the game (it had sentimental value), and a Displacer Field.

I also took the traits Blood God's Contempt and Frenzy, which saw me through many an encounter.

Edit: We might have meta-gamed slightly in order to get a party together. Basically, an evil inquisitor rounded us all up, put chips in our brains, and threatened to kill all of us unless we played nicely and did bad things for him. That's not to say that we all got along spectacularly. My only friend in the group was unaligned and really good at Critical Hitting things.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff