Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jelai

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:16 pm
Is it okay for a Christian to cuss?
What words are considered 'bad'?
And how did these words become to be considered 'bad'?

I know that it's not okay to use the Lord's name in vain, but for the other words...

f*ck
sh*t
b*tch
c*nt

etc., it seems like the degree of offensiveness varies from country to country. Someone once told me that my saying of the word 'bloody' especially with 'bloody Hell', is considered very offensive in England while here in the States it's not.

Some even find the words 'crap', 'dang', 'shoot', 'a**', 'b*****d', etc. milder words to be offensive!

It makes me so confused!
I don't say bad words that much anymore, but there are some situations where I have to use it, like for example:

"The school year is coming to an end, and I'm just bullsh*tting my way through History class right now since I slacked off so much."

??

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:42 pm

<3

It's not okay for ANYONE to curse. it's just accepted as the norm nowadays.

<3

Lass Kyon

Aged Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:52 pm
It's perfectly acceptable. The only verse in the Bible used as a condemnation of cursing deals with "vile language". There are two ways language can be vile: Either it is not accepted by society, or it is used in a hateful manner. Therefore, if we're only swearing around people who don't mind, and we don't say stuff like "Go die, *****", swearing is perfectly biblically acceptable. However, we should not swear around people who DO beleive that swearing is a sin, as that falls under Romans 14:13-23:

13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:50 am
It's never okay to ruin your witness to people. Mostly, what's the idea when you say something to someone else because they're just racking on your nerves? If it's glorifying God, then we have to talk... later though...

Anyhoo, this all goes up to the heart of the law vs. the state of the law. At least my take on it is. Still, here's one you skipped entirely that people for some reason consider a "swear" word. "Damn" And actually it's used in the bible several times. I mean, moreso used in a condemning sense. Personally, I think condemning is just as bad as offending them.  

The Noble Protoman.exe

promised_child

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 am
it is important also to remember the meanings of the words  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:15 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
It's perfectly acceptable. The only verse in the Bible used as a condemnation of cursing deals with "vile language". There are two ways language can be vile: Either it is not accepted by society, or it is used in a hateful manner. Therefore, if we're only swearing around people who don't mind, and we don't say stuff like "Go die, *****", swearing is perfectly biblically acceptable. However, we should not swear around people who DO beleive that swearing is a sin, as that falls under Romans 14:13-23:

13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

swearing is not acceptable at all, idk did you look everywhere in the bible? instead of just one passage. I think you should take a look at James 3:3-12, a christian should be different from the ways of the world and that includes language.When you use bad language , soon it will pop out even when u dont want it too and if you listen to dirty stories or jokes those thoughts will fill your mind. I dont know... what do you think god would have your mind filled with? praise and wonderful thoughts or .... bad language and dirty jokes. The answer is VERY clear.  

Sweet Angiel

pnai_pride777

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:19 pm
so r u all saying that when refering it to a person its wrong?
and obviously using it in technical terms is ok> such as refering to the female dag as well what it's term is

just saying the word. such as when youre upset you say "d*mn"  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:21 pm
sweet_angiel
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

swearing is not acceptable at all, idk did you look everywhere in the bible? instead of just one passage. I think you should take a look at James 3:3-12, a christian should be different from the ways of the world and that includes language.When you use bad language , soon it will pop out even when u dont want it too and if you listen to dirty stories or jokes those thoughts will fill your mind. I dont know... what do you think god would have your mind filled with? praise and wonderful thoughts or .... bad language and dirty jokes. The answer is VERY clear.

There is a difference between "s**t" and the kind of cursing condemned in James. James condemns cursing PEOPLE. "Go to heck" would be a curse under that description; however, "hell, no" does not project hate onto anyone and is therefore not the sort of curse outlined here. There is a difference between cursing others and using curse words; you should probably learn it.  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

tep

Benevolent Prophet

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:05 am
I actually have a question about this too.

Ok, before my teen years, I was told that saying the word 'Hell' before I got Baptized is a sin and that I would go there if I said it. Ever since about a week ago, I decided to start saying it and now that I think about it, I am not to sure I should.

So, someone please tell me if this is true or not.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:12 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
sweet_angiel
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

There is a difference between "s**t" and the kind of cursing condemned in James. James condemns cursing PEOPLE. "Go to heck" would be a curse under that description; however, "hell, no" does not project hate onto anyone and is therefore not the sort of curse outlined here. There is a difference between cursing others and using curse words; you should probably learn it.

Well, what are you trying to prove to me and others? Are you satisfied, telling me that God really doesnt care if we cuss, swear, or curse? If you died right now, do you know for sure where ur going? Well...i sure hope your right about that, for your sake and others. smile  

Sweet Angiel

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:21 pm
tep

Ok, before my teen years, I was told that saying the word 'Hell' before I got Baptized is a sin and that I would go there if I said it. Ever since about a week ago, I decided to start saying it and now that I think about it, I am not to sure I should.

Are you allowed to say hell when reading the Bible out loud?

rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:23 pm
sweet_angiel
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
sweet_angiel
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

Well, what are you trying to prove to me and others? Are you satisfied, telling me that God really doesnt care if we cuss, swear, or curse? If you died right now, do you know for sure where ur going? Well...i sure hope your right about that, for your sake and others. smile

I am saying that no word is inherently bad.

Nope. ^-^ I'll probably just disappear, seeing as hell is simply death of the soul.  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

pnai_pride777

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:24 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
tep

Are you allowed to say hell when reading the Bible out loud?

rolleyes

no because they are refering to the technical term

now saying "GO TO HELL!" now thats swearing  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:26 pm
i say again TECHNACAL TERMS!

saying b*tch when refering to the female dog is not swearing its using the technical term

when saying "SHUT UP U F*****G B***H" thats cursing its a shameful thing  

pnai_pride777

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:30 pm
Swearing is not a sin. There is nowhere in the Bible that would suggest otherwise. In fact, Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount tell us that it is our intentions that cause what we say to be sin or not.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff