All of the Above!
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Yamazaki_Yoshio
Captain

Enduring Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:14 am
So before we start an RP thread, I want to see what people are looking for in particular. I have a few ideas for RP's I've wanted to see out in Barton Town, but as usual, rare are the good stuff there.

My ideas:
#1 Eternal Night:

-Long ago there was a badass vampire known as Dracula. Forget the movies and cliche's about the guy, 'cause he was a legit badass. Since the 1700's, this vampire would show up, cause a great deal of chaos and destruction, and eventually be defeated by vampire hunters (or his own son in one or two occasions). Then a generation or two later, he'd re-emerge from the darkness to repeat the cycle. However, in the year 1999, he was finally defeated for good. At a price.

Apparently, nobody thought he'd prepare a curse upon his death this last time. One that blocked out the sun for the entire world. And not having any sun was terrible for a number of reasons, beyond that of normal life. All the creatures of the night came out of the woodwork - vampires, werewolves, undead, demons, tentacle-faced creatures that might do horrible things to women... It was a matter of a few short years before humanity all but fell to their might.

It's 2015 now, and humanity is barely surviving in the Eternal Night. Will you get by? Or will you make a difference?

Notes: Heavily inspired by the Castlevania series, as well as Hellgate London. It's a supernatural post-apocalypse with magic and vampire hunting. And maybe a suffering emo half-vampire in there somewhere lol

#2 Steam Age Arcanus
My pet project of a campaign setting. It's complex, it's steam-punk, it's magicy, it's grim-dark. Personally, I'm not exactly up for running this bad-boy, but if the demand is enough, I'll pull up my GM pants and attempt it again.

Thoughts, suggestions, smart-a** remarks?

-Yamazaki  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:20 pm
I would love to see the Steam-Age Arcanus idea take off. I enjoy steam-punk a great deal, and I think it would be fun. Would you repeat the plot of the former thread, or would it be a new plot?  

Numerica

Yamazaki_Yoshio
Captain

Enduring Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:54 pm
Numerica
I would love to see the Steam-Age Arcanus idea take off. I enjoy steam-punk a great deal, and I think it would be fun. Would you repeat the plot of the former thread, or would it be a new plot?

Arcanus would likely follow a similar plot, although I'm likely too rework some of the details to make it flow better. Currently, I have one on going run of it, using the BESM 3rd edition system on some forums far removed from Gaia. Oddly enough, it is the first attempt and I've been running it for over two years now. All other attempts (both free form here on Gaia and using BESM else where) have not succeeded far past the prologue.

That said, if there is enough demand, I will run it. Likely free form, as teaching BESM is not an easy thing, nor is acquiring the game book cheap (like $20 for the pdf).

-Yamazaki  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:52 am
Havent done anything steam punk in a while so I would be interested. I have an interesting an idea for a character. Involves a mage controlling steam golems or something along those lines.

As for Eternal Night, I miss Hellgate... Loved the game and was an avid player until the game crashed and the rights were sold off to someone else.

Also Yam, got a question for ya. Care if I throw up some up suggestions here or would ya like it in another thread?  

Otiax

Learned Seeker

Yamazaki_Yoshio
Captain

Enduring Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:38 pm
RastkoB
Havent done anything steam punk in a while so I would be interested. I have an interesting an idea for a character. Involves a mage controlling steam golems or something along those lines.

As for Eternal Night, I miss Hellgate... Loved the game and was an avid player until the game crashed and the rights were sold off to someone else.

Also Yam, got a question for ya. Care if I throw up some up suggestions here or would ya like it in another thread?

Ah, the directors... an in-joke from the original setting, where I had named the golems 'Actualizers' or 'Actors' for short (which was why my friend and I named those who control them 'Directors'). As for the golems themselves, think the mechs from Zone of the Enders, complete with glowing circuits.

And thank you for knowing of Hellgate. Sometimes I feel old for remembering these older games. Which, btw, my brother tells me that there are some private servers out there for it...

Of course you can pose your own suggestions. I was hoping someone would!

-Yamazaki  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:30 pm
Yamazaki_Yoshio

Ahh cool, I sorta stole the idea from Warmachine, its a table top game similar to Warhammer. Have units which are called war casters that basically control these things. Which are basically magi-tech steam golems. The setting includes, steam power armor and a couple other things. I think there is even a table top rpg made for it as well.

Mhm not many people do. Aye I have played on a few of them but its stripped down versions of the original game code, which have been altered after that. Its sorta the same game but not really to some degree. Really loved the concept of the series myself so I am all for an rp based around a similar idea.

Alrighty, glad to hear I can make some suggestions. Although for the moment I only really have one idea floating about my head but as usual it can go a couple different directions. However a quest based rp in a fantasy setting also works pretty well for me, its pretty easy to come up with a quest list at least for me. D&D resources also help quite a bit lol. Anyway here is the idea I have :

- First Adventure / Fantasy and the usual mix : A group of youngsters ( early to mid teens ) is forced into their first adventure. They can be friends or rivals but regardless something happens forcing them to work together in order to survive. As to what caused this? Not a clue and this is where I need some help but I have a few ideas.

1. Raiders : Barbarians could be pillaging the local area and with out much of a warning they attack the village our characters call home. Of course it will be small and not the best protected. We could start with a normal day, move into some light fighting, perhaps some of the characters check on each other before grouping up. Maybe some of them are chased by the raiders and some how they manage to escape with the help of the others. Of course a couple of the characters will have taken blood so there is the shock of that among other things to deal with. The raiders could purse the characters from there.

2. War : War with an opposing kingdom has drifted towards the characters home. In a sneak attack the village is destroyed. Again they can escape but perhaps being captured and forced to fight or become slaves of sort might be interesting as well. Have the characters escape from that situation or something else.

3. Occult : Strange things have been happening in a larger city, people have gone missing, along with a string of murders. Everything is covered up and perhaps a few of the characters get too curious and the others attempt to go find them. Who is behind the trouble? A cult who is attempting to summon a demon of sorts. They have to escape and then perhaps attempt to stop this from happening because why would a bunch of guards listen to the crazy story of children discovering something like a cult. Again can go a bunch of directions depending what we would like too do.

If you have any suggestions or opinions quote me and let me know. I think it might be interesting to play this point of view from some rather young characters. There will be some defined roles as well, just need to figure them out. Also I can ramble with the best of them so these are tid bits of larger ideas I have floating about my head. I can plot out quite a bit very quickly.  

Otiax

Learned Seeker

Yamazaki_Yoshio
Captain

Enduring Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:18 pm
RastkoB
Yamazaki_Yoshio

Ahh cool, I sorta stole the idea from Warmachine, its a table top game similar to Warhammer. Have units which are called war casters that basically control these things. Which are basically magi-tech steam golems. The setting includes, steam power armor and a couple other things. I think there is even a table top rpg made for it as well.

Mhm not many people do. Aye I have played on a few of them but its stripped down versions of the original game code, which have been altered after that. Its sorta the same game but not really to some degree. Really loved the concept of the series myself so I am all for an rp based around a similar idea.

Alrighty, glad to hear I can make some suggestions. Although for the moment I only really have one idea floating about my head but as usual it can go a couple different directions. However a quest based rp in a fantasy setting also works pretty well for me, its pretty easy to come up with a quest list at least for me. D&D resources also help quite a bit lol. Anyway here is the idea I have :

- First Adventure / Fantasy and the usual mix : A group of youngsters ( early to mid teens ) is forced into their first adventure. They can be friends or rivals but regardless something happens forcing them to work together in order to survive. As to what caused this? Not a clue and this is where I need some help but I have a few ideas.

1. Raiders : Barbarians could be pillaging the local area and with out much of a warning they attack the village our characters call home. Of course it will be small and not the best protected. We could start with a normal day, move into some light fighting, perhaps some of the characters check on each other before grouping up. Maybe some of them are chased by the raiders and some how they manage to escape with the help of the others. Of course a couple of the characters will have taken blood so there is the shock of that among other things to deal with. The raiders could purse the characters from there.

2. War : War with an opposing kingdom has drifted towards the characters home. In a sneak attack the village is destroyed. Again they can escape but perhaps being captured and forced to fight or become slaves of sort might be interesting as well. Have the characters escape from that situation or something else.

3. Occult : Strange things have been happening in a larger city, people have gone missing, along with a string of murders. Everything is covered up and perhaps a few of the characters get too curious and the others attempt to go find them. Who is behind the trouble? A cult who is attempting to summon a demon of sorts. They have to escape and then perhaps attempt to stop this from happening because why would a bunch of guards listen to the crazy story of children discovering something like a cult. Again can go a bunch of directions depending what we would like too do.

If you have any suggestions or opinions quote me and let me know. I think it might be interesting to play this point of view from some rather young characters. There will be some defined roles as well, just need to figure them out. Also I can ramble with the best of them so these are tid bits of larger ideas I have floating about my head. I can plot out quite a bit very quickly.

Always wanted to get into Warmachine, but I'm broke and my wife would murder me for getting into such a pricey habit. Also why I wouldn't get into 40k... I'll have to settle for the video games and lore instead. But yeah, Arcanus takes a lot of inspiration from Warmachine and 40k, as well as a number of video games, a few anime (including Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Samurai Champloo, and Last Exile), and my own madness.

As for your ideas, I'm always up for a good adventure-type story. What you have laid out, concept wise, is very basic, but allows for a quality campaign. For now, figuring out the hook is the major part of it. I like the raider hook the best, as the war one is played out far too much, and while the occult mystery would be pretty awesome, it takes a good amount of finesse to pull off..

As younger adventurers, that'd give plenty of room for growth as adventurers and characters. Personally, I'd say place them in their late teens (or the the equivalent there of, for the longer-lived races), which would, in effect, make them 1st level characters in D&D terms. Not experience enough to be a real threat, but just enough that they stand a chance of survival. On a side note, this may be the chance I've been wanting to break out Keris again... She was a blast to play last time. Maybe not as a half-dragon again though.

-Yamazaki  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 pm
A Mingling Story Idea

I've had this idea in my head for a long time, it goes back to the basic quote "Am I a man dreaming I'm a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?"

There will be two main characters, but they are the same person of basically alternate realities. One comes from a realm of magic and fantasy, he suffers from insomnia. The other comes from a modern time era, slightly more in the future that suffers from narcolepsy. He will only remember his other self as a very vague, and transparent dream.

Characters would revolve around him, of course they'd have more to do on the fantasy side. They would play something of D&D ish style, but play their alternate self in the modern era that could have an entirely different relationship or similar with the main character. Would probably make a better video game or movie.

Something Harvest Moon

Could just be plain harvest moon, but there's often a lack of struggle and strife that a roleplay needs. I've seen plenty of pokemon crossovers and I'd be for it, but I'm honestly sick of Team Rocket, Team Plasma, Team Aqua or whatever. I think I officially hate their presence in any pokemon roleplay. I don't know why.

What else for harvest moon stuff? I've been thinking of avatar cross over or maybe even more boldly a dark fantasy/Dragon Age crossover (only because I've been really sipping on dragon age like a bottle lately).

I'd imagine a village in the Dragon Age one. There's the threat of new visitors, secrets around the village, presence of troubling politics, trouble makers and still the threat of darkspawn is never far gone.

I'm open to many ideas for Harvest Moon, but I am straying from making a lot of available roles to play because it's too difficult to keep up with the mail courier, the hair dresser and the chimney sweep. I'm sure they all have a story, but it would require time and effort to devise various small groups with intricate, intertwining plots. Having twenty people all involved and charging to one goal is incredibly odd unless it's an army.

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

Yamazaki_Yoshio
Captain

Enduring Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:31 am
CaptainXXMorgan
A Mingling Story Idea

I've had this idea in my head for a long time, it goes back to the basic quote "Am I a man dreaming I'm a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?"

There will be two main characters, but they are the same person of basically alternate realities. One comes from a realm of magic and fantasy, he suffers from insomnia. The other comes from a modern time era, slightly more in the future that suffers from narcolepsy. He will only remember his other self as a very vague, and transparent dream.

Characters would revolve around him, of course they'd have more to do on the fantasy side. They would play something of D&D ish style, but play their alternate self in the modern era that could have an entirely different relationship or similar with the main character. Would probably make a better video game or movie.

Something Harvest Moon

Could just be plain harvest moon, but there's often a lack of struggle and strife that a roleplay needs. I've seen plenty of pokemon crossovers and I'd be for it, but I'm honestly sick of Team Rocket, Team Plasma, Team Aqua or whatever. I think I officially hate their presence in any pokemon roleplay. I don't know why.

What else for harvest moon stuff? I've been thinking of avatar cross over or maybe even more boldly a dark fantasy/Dragon Age crossover (only because I've been really sipping on dragon age like a bottle lately).

I'd imagine a village in the Dragon Age one. There's the threat of new visitors, secrets around the village, presence of troubling politics, trouble makers and still the threat of darkspawn is never far gone.

I'm open to many ideas for Harvest Moon, but I am straying from making a lot of available roles to play because it's too difficult to keep up with the mail courier, the hair dresser and the chimney sweep. I'm sure they all have a story, but it would require time and effort to devise various small groups with intricate, intertwining plots. Having twenty people all involved and charging to one goal is incredibly odd unless it's an army.

#1 is very interesting. Reminds me of that weird scifi show that my parents watch. Can't remember it's name though. Anyways...

While it's incredibly interesting, it would be a logistics nightmare to manage as an RP. The only way I can see it working is if every player has two characters, relative to the two realities. To make things work a bit better, these characters would have to be somewhat similar (which would make the differences even more jarring for the main character lol). It could work, with some major planning.

#2 is a bit closer to my experience. First of all, there exists a such a game - Rune Factory (short version: fantasy Harvest Moon, which it literally says on the box art). That said, from what I've read on the games, they're a lot more light hearted than the grim-dark Dragon Age inspiration you're considering pulling from. This would be pretty entertaining, especially if there's an over-arching plot. Often times, these sorts of RP's can be fun, but without game-changing events, it can plod on forever.

Both are interesting ideas. You could even combine the two somewhat. If you need help bouncing ideas to flesh it out some more, lemme know. I'm usually good for that lol

-Yamazaki  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 am
Yamazaki_Yoshio
CaptainXXMorgan
A Mingling Story Idea

Something Harvest Moon

#1 is very interesting. Reminds me of that weird scifi show that my parents watch. Can't remember it's name though. Anyways...

While it's incredibly interesting, it would be a logistics nightmare to manage as an RP. The only way I can see it working is if every player has two characters, relative to the two realities. To make things work a bit better, these characters would have to be somewhat similar (which would make the differences even more jarring for the main character lol). It could work, with some major planning.

#2 is a bit closer to my experience. First of all, there exists a such a game - Rune Factory (short version: fantasy Harvest Moon, which it literally says on the box art). That said, from what I've read on the games, they're a lot more light hearted than the grim-dark Dragon Age inspiration you're considering pulling from. This would be pretty entertaining, especially if there's an over-arching plot. Often times, these sorts of RP's can be fun, but without game-changing events, it can plod on forever.

Both are interesting ideas. You could even combine the two somewhat. If you need help bouncing ideas to flesh it out some more, lemme know. I'm usually good for that lol

-Yamazaki

I love rune factory, yet still a little too happy go lucky. It wouldn't have to be dragon age specifically, just something a little more adult oriented. I like role plays where characters suffer. It could be something as small as, witnessing someone close leave with Grey Wardens, medium as married to a retired Templar(Lyrium junkie) or as big as hording your child apostate in secrecy. For an end game or game changing things, well what I could only think of is maybe town's destruction and having to find somewhere else to settle (maybe some characters die or leave to live with relatives elsewhere, possibly to return later).  

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

Yamazaki_Yoshio
Captain

Enduring Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:04 am
So I've made a poll of all the idea posted thus far. I would like to put to vote what we would like to see fleshed out and run. Not to say that the other idea might not also be ran, I'm all for multiple RP's going on at one time. This is more to see if anyone has a particular RP in mind they'd like to see above the others.

If other ideas also crop up, I can add more options to the poll. Thoughts?

-Yamazaki  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:53 am
There needs to be 'All of the above' vote option. Because that's mine.  

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

Yamazaki_Yoshio
Captain

Enduring Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:07 am
CaptainXXMorgan
There needs to be 'All of the above' vote option. Because that's mine.

Done.

-Yamazaki  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:09 am
I personally tend to enjoy roleplays that aren't very epic in their plot (it gets overwhelming for my characters lmao), what I am usually interested in in just about any media of entertainment is characters.

I like roleplays that force our characters to go way out of their comfort zone, I like it when they don't instantly know how to react.

Taking a group of colourful characters and throwing them into some backwards, ******** up or weird situation without anyone knowing what the ******** is going on is my favourite type of roleplay.

I don't have any plots on my mind currently but I can try coming up with something at some point.

ANOTHER thing I absolutely love is taking a tired concept and doing a complete revamp of it, so maybe I'll try to work with that.

Genre-wise i'm very adaptable, because I have a lot of characters that are also very adaptable. I love fantasy (original genre of most of my characters), but also sci-fi, horror and mystery, and supernatural, all kinds of things really.

I am not usually a fan of fandom-based roleplays though, unless it's super opened to various possible storylines, like pokemon or harry potter for example, but other than these two i can't think of any fandom i'd enjoy roleplaying (i'm also not very familiar with most of the things i see roleplayed often, and i am a huge sucker for the canon story and tend to dislike headcanons)

I'll probably join whichever roleplay the guild decides to start tho lmao, i have 100+ characters i'm sure someone would fit whatever you're planning  

Salt King

Omnipresent Loiterer

9,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100

Kawakas

OG Wife

7,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:03 pm
Seems like everyone is interested in the steam punk thing and I wouldn't mind taking a shot at that. to be honest all of your ideas sound great tho.

Apologies yamazaki sweatdrop gaia doesnt send any notifications about guilds do they.  
Out of Character Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff