Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Barely-Knowns

Back to Guilds

A guild for all who are just faces in the Gaia crowd. 

Tags: barely, known, unknown, chill, ninja 

Reply The Barely-Knowns
I've got teh mono. :( Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mono is...
  teh sucks!
View Results

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:43 pm
Yep. Got diagnosed two nights ago when I wound up in the ER with really swollen tonsils. Got put on steroids and other meds and I'm on the road to recovery. Lot of good news regarding my diagnosis, despite the fact that mono by default sucks, I probably won't be able to kiss my girlfriend for at least a few months, and I'm trying my damn hardest not to spread the virus to anyone else in my family.

- I have a localized form of mono instead of systemic. That means no fever, no real fatigue or malaise besides typical viral fatigue, no swollen spleen or jaundice. Just swollen tonsils. So if anything, my tonsils became shields and blocked most of the virus from getting really bad.

- The doctor at the ER noted that I am on the "good side" of the sickness spectrum. Basically, she's seen a lot worse. So instead of the usual one year "active virus" diagnosis, she said "six months tops." Which could mean even fewer months. That's a plus.

- While I'm not taking this as an excuse to make out with my girlfriend, there is a chance she's already carrying the virus and I could've gotten it from her. Lots of people get EBV (the common virus that causes mono) as children and have minor symptoms, then carry the virus for the rest of their lives. So I could've gotten it from her. But it's pretty tough to test to see if she has it, so...no make-outs for a while.

So now I'm on steroids and painkillers - the swelling has gone down immensely in my tonsils, and the only side effect I really have is an occasional itchy or flushed face. I get lots of yogurt and ice cream, and this really was a wake-up call for me in regards to my diet and my anxiety issues. So I'm going to really fix my diet, do something remedial for my anxiety complex, and start healing up.

Phew! After all that, here's a discussion.

- When's the last time you got really sick? What was it? How did you cope?
- Have you ever had mono before? How bad was it? How long did you wait until you felt like you were no longer contagious?
- How do you cope with anxiety or worrying? Will you be ready to slap me with a yardstick if I keep researching all the worst case scenarios about mono? razz
- ...Everyone okay and healthy, by the way? ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:08 pm
Update: Steroids really messed with me anxiety-wise and sleep-wise. Got off them three days early. Since then, sleep has been erratic and I have been unable to settle down. It's like I'm on a jitter-high I can't get down from. I'm crying a lot and I'm scared and I've already requested a refill for a sleep aid I previously got off of.

I really miss you guys. The BK has gotten so quiet, and I miss the positive vibes and conversations we've had. I hope everything is okay on your side...  

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

Violaceous Vertigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:29 am
Oh balls. I've had mono before, it sucked baaaaaalls.

I had the whole package when I was sick: sore throat, swollen tonsils, swolen organs, absolutely no energy...

On the other hand, at least I could sleep when I had it. Why steroids, anyway? What good would they have done?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 am
Violaceous Vertigo

I had the whole package when I was sick: sore throat, swollen tonsils, swolen organs, absolutely no energy...

On the other hand, at least I could sleep when I had it. Why steroids, anyway? What good would they have done?

Steroids basically act ten times faster than four tablets of ibuprofen. They essentially reduce the swelling drastically as an anti-inflammatory drug. The only problem is that steroids <******** with your mind.

Even though I kept waking up intermittently last night, I got a lot better sleep. I was able to tone down some of the anxiety and relax. That sucks that you had the whole thing! Like I said earlier, I'm very lucky. I know some people who had mono who could barely get out of bed - it's only been a week for me and while I'm tired, I can get out of bed and move around. So yeah. EXTREMELY lucky.  

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

Nu Lucrezia

Desirable Grabber

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:29 am
Reeves
I really miss you guys. The BK has gotten so quiet, and I miss the positive vibes and conversations we've had. I hope everything is okay on your side...

Sorry I've not been around much, I've been kind of melancholic the last couple weeks so I didn't really want to bring that negativity here sweatdrop

back on topic, I had mono (or glandular fever as the docs here called it) about 5 or 6 years ago around christmas. I was really ill from it to the point where I hardly slept and basically spent two weeks walking around like a zombie. I also lost a surprising amount of weight from where I hardly ate. So...yeah, I totally feel your pain, dude sad  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:28 am
Reeves
Violaceous Vertigo

Steroids basically act ten times faster than four tablets of ibuprofen. They essentially reduce the swelling drastically as an anti-inflammatory drug. The only problem is that steroids <******** with your mind.

Even though I kept waking up intermittently last night, I got a lot better sleep. I was able to tone down some of the anxiety and relax. That sucks that you had the whole thing! Like I said earlier, I'm very lucky. I know some people who had mono who could barely get out of bed - it's only been a week for me and while I'm tired, I can get out of bed and move around. So yeah. EXTREMELY lucky.

Ah, I didn't have a swelling throat that was so bad I needed to get the swelling down to breathe or anything.
At the time I got mono still got strep throat/tonsilitis fairly often, (thank ******** for growing out of that) so in comparison for that I thought it was the best case of a sore throat I'd ever had.

The hardest part for me was actually after my throat got better. I was all alone. Friends didn't come see me and I was too tired to go anywhere else. I was going a wee bit shack wacky by the time I was able to get out of the apartment again.

As for you, while you may feel like you're able to get out of bed and move around, be really, really careful. It may seem like you're ok for a while, but not only does mono seriously drain your tank of fuel, it also takes out your warning light. You can go from fine to collapsed in a heap in no time at all.

Be careful, ok? sad  

Violaceous Vertigo

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:02 pm
Violaceous Vertigo
Reeves
Violaceous Vertigo

Ah, I didn't have a swelling throat that was so bad I needed to get the swelling down to breathe or anything.
At the time I got mono still got strep throat/tonsilitis fairly often, (thank ******** for growing out of that) so in comparison for that I thought it was the best case of a sore throat I'd ever had.

The hardest part for me was actually after my throat got better. I was all alone. Friends didn't come see me and I was too tired to go anywhere else. I was going a wee bit shack wacky by the time I was able to get out of the apartment again.

As for you, while you may feel like you're able to get out of bed and move around, be really, really careful. It may seem like you're ok for a while, but not only does mono seriously drain your tank of fuel, it also takes out your warning light. You can go from fine to collapsed in a heap in no time at all.

Be careful, ok? sad

Don't worry, Vio. I'm not doing anything too strenuous. I'm not doing any heavy lifting, I'm not doing any extreme exercise. The most I've been doing is driving and walking. Other than that, it's writing, computer stuff, video games, and reading. Nothing too big.

Again, I think the reason I've been able to avoid fatigue for the most part is because everything is localized in my tonsils. That happens occasionally. So instead of having a systemic case of mono, I have a localized case. No fever, no chills, no strep. The doctor said it was a very mild case, I should be fine in a couple of weeks, and, yes, she did tell me to take it easy and get rest when needed. I just got a green light to go to SoCal next week to visit my girlfriend (who now claims she's feeling fatigued and has a scratchy throat, pleeeeeease let it just be a cold xp ) as long as I don't do anything like party or drink or stay out too late.

So yeah, I'm being extremely careful. Hopefully by the time I have a job, it'll be low-key enough so I don't have to worry about collapsing.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 pm
I read that as "really swollen toenails".  

Milk Proof Robot

Shameless Codger

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 pm
Milk Proof Robot

I'd rather have swollen toenails than mono, thank you very much. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:11 pm
Reeves
Milk Proof Robot

In-grown toenails are no joke. They hurt real bad. D:

I know you'll be just fine! Sending good vibes! biggrin heart

NogginDew

Business Werewolf

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:59 am
NogginDew
Reeves
Milk Proof Robot

In-grown toenails are no joke. They hurt real bad. D:

I know you'll be just fine! Sending good vibes! biggrin heart

Thanks, Noggin! I'm doing a whole lot better now. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:09 am
Ingrown toenails?

some baaaaaaad memories right there  

Nu Lucrezia

Desirable Grabber

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:47 am
Nu Lucrezia
Ingrown toenails?

some baaaaaaad memories right there

Oh, god. Lucrezia trauma time? gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 pm
REEVES GOT TEH MONO!
REEVES BEEN KISSING NAUGHTY THINGS!!!

I've got an ingrowing toe nail at the mo... and you all know about my migraines. Those aren't fun.  

cheesy nipples

Reeves
Captain

Dapper Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:30 pm
cheesy nipples
REEVES GOT TEH MONO!
REEVES BEEN KISSING NAUGHTY THINGS!!!

That's the thing, though...the only person I've kissed lately is my girlfriend, and she tested negative!

No, with mono you can also get it from sharing utensils or cups or even just from a sneeze or cough. That s**t can be airborne and still affect you. So I probably got it from a kid at the school I volunteered at.  
The Barely-Knowns

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff