Submit

Der Pestdoktor
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:38 am
User Image

LAST UPDATED: September 19th, 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm
OBTAINING PLAGUES
GENERAL INFORMATION ON BUYING A PLAGUE OR HAVING A CHARACTER.

Q: How can I get a Plague? NEW
A: There are a couple of different ways to get a Plague. Sometimes we have flatsales where you fill out a bio and answer a writing prompt to compete for a specific item, sometimes we have writing contests for semi-custom slots, which cost 500k, and sometimes we rehome plagues through the adoption center. We never offer Plagues for RL commissions, however, and there will be a concept or writing based application process for each Plague.

Q: How often do you guys have semicustom events? NEW
A: Very infrequently. Usually we have one per year.

Q: Can I have a character who isn't a Plague or Grimm? I just want to roleplay. NEW
A: You can make a non-Grimm at any time, regardless of whether you have a Plague already or not, by making a bio and getting it approved. If you roleplay the non-Grimm enough, you will receive art and a special cert for them, along with a journal. If you want, you can also play a stunted plague, which doesn't need a bio approved, and could get custom art as well after a certain amount of activity.

Q: Am I allowed to play my quest Grimm before I win a Plague for them if I don't ever hint they might become a Grimm? NEW
A: Yes, if you post their bio for approval in this thread. They will count as one of your 3 allotted non-Grimm characters until they become a Grimm.

Der Pestdoktor
Captain

Der Pestdoktor
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 pm
EVENTS
ABOUT FLATSALE/PLAGUE APPLICATIONS.

Q: Am I allowed to apply for a Plague more than once in any given event?
A: You may enter once for every Plague available in a given event, but you will only win one.

Q: Am I allowed to enter with the same Guardian for multiple Plagues in a single event?
A: You may, but it's not promoted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 pm
PLAGUES
ABOUT THE PETS.

Q: Do Plagues bleed?
A: All Anhelo bleed. In terms of the Excito, though, only the Caedos bleed. When a Phasmas or Servos are harmed, they seep the same black glowy stuff you see on Putescos.

Q: How enduring are Plagues?
A: Plagues are quite enduring, but the only thing that separates the Plagues from humans in terms of needs is that they don't have to eat, and that's only when they're an Excito. They need quite a bit less of many things than an average adult human would, though, even if they have a very young/more aged body. They do have an energy source which they need to have access to, especially after Anhelo, however. Quietus and Infitialis derive their power from physical things, so for instance, a fire quietus might eat coal or wood. Locos tend to feed off concepts or abstractions.

Q: If Plagues eat, do they poop? NEW
A: No.

Q: Do they have butts? NEW
A: Yes.

Q: Do they have sexual organs? NEW
A: Yes, at anhelo stage, and before you ask, they can use them, though they reproduce through other methods.

Q: Do Plagues age?
A: No.

Q: Can the Plague harm the human they are attached to? Or are they simply companions?
A: If you're talking about Stage I Plagues, where they're merely items/creatures, then it's pretty much impossible to harm their Keeper, though their black Putesco goop can infect others who touch it.
Other than that, it depends: is it in their nature? If yes, then by all means. While the Plagues are supposed to be companion-types, their personalities and how they handle the responsibility of having power is varied. It might not be in a Plague's best interest to harm their Keeper, for a good amount of reasons: First and foremost, a Grimm gives them political protection, and the second is that if a grown Plague is without a Keeper, they'll probably be re-homed and or killed on sight, among other things. Also discouraging to those Plagues who are aware of it is the fact that if they lose their Grimm before they are fully grown, they will be stunted until a new Grimm is found, if ever.

Q: Depending on their alignment, Plagues can spread or cure the Black Plague? Can they do both if Neutral?
A: Yes, depending on their alignment they can spread or cure the plague; Chaotic/Chaos (Infitialis) are able to spread the Plague, Lawful/Order (Locos) are able to cure the Plague, but Neutral/Union's (Quietus) can't do either; instead, they have magic and depending on their eye color they can use either black or white magic.

Q: The Plagues act like normal beings, but some being evil and inflicting this disease on people, and the Lawful curing?
A: At Stage II-III, they have a sentiment and human qualities to their personality. Not all spreading are evil and not all healing are good, and are judged on a case-to-case basis.

Q: Can a common folk have a Plague? Or a Plague from another Continent?
A: Yes, plaguing is not something which knows class restriction, though wealthy and noble people tend to want Plagues for various reasons, especially now that they're becoming status symbols and carrying prestige in the various factions. As for a Plague being from another Continent, tainted items can come from off-shores, but immigration and trade have been closed for several years ICly and Plagues themselves do not exist outside of Panymium.

Q: Does my Grimm have to join a faction? NEW

A: Your Grimm can join a faction, such as the Mages, Cult, Military, or Council, but if those aren't good fits, they may be able to find a place in unofficial factions, such as the Panymisian Church, the government, or the nobility. There can be overlap between the unofficial and official factions, or even different official factions.

Q: Can I switch factions? NEW

A: Yes, but if you just decide you want to try another faction, you can also make a non-Grimm character to play in that faction.

Q: Black Magic is attack magic and White Magic would be to slow down the process/pain?
A: Yes. Think Final Fantasy black/white magic; just know that their kind of magic can't do anything about the Black Death.
Additionally to the plentiful references to black/white magic in RPGs, there are also archaically sound sources of black magic and white magic.

Q: Other than their looks and spreading/curing of plague, we play Plagues as normal people who hang around their Keeper?
A: Basically, yes, they could be considered companions with human-like intelligence, speech and quirks. However, some Plagues, especially Quietus, may take more habits and personality influences from their item and act less human. Also important to keep in mind is that the Plague is the focus of your story, not the Grimm, so while they hang around the Grimm, they are the important half of the duo.

Q: Can a Lawful and Chaotic be friends?
A: Yes. Just as inter-faction connections are encouraged, so are inter-alignment ones. Diversity is awesome!

Q: So whoever has a Plague in their possession is wanted by any of the factions? Does this mean they'd instantly jump status in society?
A: In essence, yes and no. A Plague may provide opportunity for faction advancement and to inspire awe in others, but they can just as easily inspire fear and resentment. The government and the Panymisian Church are also not too terribly keen on Plagues, and the Emperor himself has been known to make aggressive rhetoric towards Grimms in his domain. The benefits of being a Grimm are dependent on the Grimm.

Der Pestdoktor
Captain

Der Pestdoktor
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:34 pm
KEEPERS
ABOUT THE KEEPERS.

Q: Our 'keeper' is immune to the Black Plague?
A: This is a theory that's yet to be suggested, but it's insinuated in the thread that they might be immune to it. Take that as you will, but for now none of the recorded keepers have the Black Death.

Q: (cont) But it is 'raising' a plague?
A: Yes, a Keeper/Grimm raise the Plague; most are raising the Plagues to see if they can find a real cure to it using them. Others are probably trying to keep spreading it.

Q: Will the human get the Black Plague later on if they do have a Plague companion?
A: Plagues are quite literally lingering Black Deaths: they are living diseases plus more, essentially. The chance that a Keeper might get a Black Plague later has indeed been speculated, but no one has reached a concrete consensus (the widely agreed upon counter-claim that the Plagues serve as an immunity to the Black Plague has so far proven to be correct, nearly paradoxically). We will see, as time goes on. Food for thought, though: no Keeper so far has had the Black Plague, even the representatives with Stage III Plagues, including Lady Estratus and General Kunze.

Q: Does everyone avoid the 'keepers' since they have 'a plague'?
I think it's safe to assume people are more wary, but most everyone that's in a position of power currently has a Plague so that would be a bit hard to do. Perhaps they would avoid the common folk that have one, but... ...we'll have to see, shan't we? ♪

Q: Could a guardian be a youngster?
A: Yes, they may be a youngster, as Plagues have no caretaker that looks out for a level of Guardian-like qualifications from their Grimms. Georgie himself falls under a 'child/young teen' category. However, it is generally discouraged, since raising a Plague is no easy task, and children have less social mobility, making it harder for them to participate in metaplots and factions and etcetera.

Q: (cont.) And if children are allowed, would the faction they fall under be tied in with their parent's decision?
A: I'm letting that up to you; of course the faction wouldn't let a regular child under their sleeve, but at this point the factions are inhaling as many Plague Keepers as possible, if only to just keep the other parties from growing stronger in number. Parental supervision is probably the more probable reason, unless you're trying out for the House, which is a religion, and thus a way of life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:35 pm
PANYMIUM
ABOUT THE CONTINENT/WORLD.

Q: What is the common language of Panymium?
A: Panymese, which is its residing world's equivalent of English.

Q: What are the units of currency used in Panymium?
A: Shillings.

Q: What is the level of technology in this universe?
A: Anything up to the 15th century or so is fair game, but 15th century is pushing it, and the scientific community takes a lot of influence from the 12th century renaissance (not the one with Da Vinci and ugly babies).

Q: If we're at the rise of the scientific era, how do we account for the industrial achievement?
A: There has been some industrial advancement, but it is however quite small. Cities are still fairly attuned to medieval cities, but some goods that might have been less available at the time are now more available.

Q: Since it's based off of medieval Europe, is it safe to assume that there are not too many religious sects? I wanted to know if there was something more akin to say.. the Catholic church, rather than the cultist radicals.
A: Panymisian is the counterfoil to Obscuvianism. It is the main religion of Panymium, supported by the Emperor in Helios, and it is the Panymese equivalent of the Catholic church. Obscuvianism was originally an offshoot of Panymisian, but is now more or less its own faith. There are different religious orders and sects within both churches, however, with different agendas to fulfill.

Q: Are infected households marked with red crosses like they did when the Black Plague really was sweeping through Europe?
A: Knowing the Panymese, they probably did something a lot more drastic, like...

User Image

The dots on the bottom would represent how many are known to be diseased in said household, and would line up vertically.

Q: How do the Panymese deal with their dead?
A: Many Panymese are devoutly religious, so there is an emphasis on Church-approved burial and especially burial in consecrated ground. In Shyregoed, however, the ground is often frozen, so Church sanctioned cremations are more common, usually with the ashes themselves blessed afterwards.

The Black Death has made burials more difficult recently, and local government has dealt with it in various ways. Some places resort to hiring gravediggers to dig mass graves, while the Council makes efforts to claim the bodies or else dispose of them in cities, where outbreak is a constant risk. Sometimes the body and possessions are burned to try to prevent outbreak, while other times, especially in the case of an epidemic sweeping a small village, the village is merely abandoned by the living and left to the dead. Some families and communities have protested these methods as dangerous for the souls of the dead, since Panymisian has such important and elaborate burial rites, but the Panymisian church also has regular masses for the souls of those dead of Plague.

Q: How long has it been actually since immigrants are stuck in Panymium?
A: They've been stuck for a matter of around 9 years (as of 1413), after Diefendorf's hanging. That's when the peak of the Black Death got worse, and routes out refused to let them through.

Q: Is the social status of women the same as medieval times, as well? I don't want to assume that the same aggressive personalities in present time would be accepted in this era?
A: Women have more rights than they did in the medieval period, but they still tend to exercise their power in different ways and through different venues than a man might. This isn't true of every woman, women can, for instance, join the Guard like a man, but it is true that women are often expected to have different societal functions than men.

Der Pestdoktor
Captain

Der Pestdoktor
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:37 pm
ETC/OOC
MISCELLANEOUS INQUIRY.

Q: Don't you know your history, woman?! The 14th century is nothing like what you're describing!
A: Hopefully none of you are referring to Plague Doctor to write your thesis on plague epidemics in the 14th century, haha. We try to take most of our inspiration for Plague Doctor from medieval history, but it was a thousand year time period, and we've pretty much stolen bits and pieces from all of that thousand years and then some. Plus there's a pretty heavy fantasy element involved!

Q: Hey wait, these guys look like Heartless/Endling's creations/Kodama/etc!
A: I'm downright admitting that Plagues are not the most original things in the world, and they are very much inspired by the things stated above. Alas, my poor creativity!

Q: Why aren't you hiring any artists/colorists?
A: Truth be told, Plague Doctor has and will be started as a mode of stress relief for both the myself (Zanaroo) and others, and a good majority of that relief comes through the joy of designing characters and creating art. Guest artists will be called upon, but otherwise art will be handled by me.

Q: Don't applicants usually not get art for their creations?
If your application is accepted by a general majority of the staff, I will indeed whip up art for you; however, there will still be a Gold fee once you get accepted.

Q: Are Plagues drawn with ready-made lineart or templates?
A: Not at all! Each Plague and its stages will be completely hand-drawn, save for the certificate layout.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:39 pm
TERMS IINDEX
PANYMESE TERMINOLOGY.

plagues
Living manifestations of the Black Death and the subject of limelight of The Plague Doctor B/C!

panymese, panymesian
The people of Panymium.

black plague
A mysterious infliction haunting the citizens of Panymium

blackened
Someone inflicted by the Black Plague

keepers, grimms
People followed by and or "raising" Plagues

obscuvites, obscuvans, obscuvians
Cultists under the legion of Obscuvos

panymisian, panymisians,
Followers of Panyma and her son, Ada.