Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, pros and cons. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of the upcoming Alice in Wonderland movie?
It looks great! I can't wait to see it!
79%
 79%  [ 31 ]
It looks okay, I'll see it, but I'm not that excited.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
It looks horrible!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I'm half and half on it.
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 39

Malicious Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:07 pm
I've seen a few threads about the upcoming movie "Alice in Wonderland," directed by Tim Burton. I decided that I wanted to get a few words in, not only talking about the pros, but also a few cons I'm concerned about.

Pros:
~Tim Burton is truely a genius. His movies give the viewer a sense of... entering a entirely new world, and that's something I really like about him. Wonderland litterally is a different world, so this seems it woud be his forte.
~Jonny Depp is an incredible actor, no doubt. He and Burton have great chemistry and work very well together.
~The animation looked very well done, and I personally think the character designs were adorable, and fit well with the characters.
~It's a live action Alice in Wonderland movie, need I say more?

However, there're a few things I'm worried about...

Cons:
~Although Burton is a fantastic director, we all know he specializes in "darker movies," therefore, once Alice in Wonderland comes out, all us true fans will have to deal with a bunch of emo/goth weeabos who claim to be honest, hardcore Alice in Wonderland fans, when all they've seen is the Burton's styled movie. That... will get annoying.
~Hot Topic will, without question, seize the oppertunity for another gothic-lolita line of clothing from Junk Food to market. Dare I say... it'll be just like the Twilight freenzy, and they came out with those (I don't mean to insult anyone who has it, it's just my personal opinion) cheezy shirts.
~It troubles me. This book, that was ment to be a small child's story, is being turned into... some horrible, evil, malicious tale. I've always pictured the story as cute, innocent, and crazy (in the fun way). But then again, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't say that it'll turn out as I've predicted. Hopefully, I'll be pleasently surprised.

Anyway, those are simply a few of my troubles and excitments. I'm half and half on the movie, however, I haven't actually seen it yet, except for a few trailers, so I can't be sure of my cons.

Discuss:
~Your opinion on the Alice in Wonderland movie, coming out March 5, 2010.
~Your personal pros and cons on it.
~Anything else relating to the upcoming movie.

... I hope I havne't insulted anyone with my cons either. If I have, I am truely sorry readers. And excuse any grammatical errors I may have, I'm a bit tired from pulling an all-nighter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:26 pm
I do think Tim Burton is a great director but I'm not too keen on Johnny Depp. He's been good in a few things but he just looks down right scary in the new movie. The movie theater near me already has posters up for it and he makes me want to hide in a corner and cry. He looks like a very scary clown. Although I think if it weren't for the eye contacts, he'd be ok.

However! =D If he does good in the movie and the costume fits the character more, he will redeem himself for the movie. xD  

Lily of the Sword
Crew

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Noob wrangler 100

HurricaneAlice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:50 pm
I think that Johnny Depp is an amazing actor, and further more, I'd actually like it if the film has a bit of a darker sense to it like Tim Burton gives most of his movies. I love Alice in Wonderland, and have read the original and watched the disney movie (who hasn't???) but I think that Wonderland can come across as something not so innocent, and although I don't expect it to be "Saw 15: Alice in Wonderland" I think that giving it just a tad of darkness will make it more captivating.

Also, I don't see why anyone wouldn't like t-shirts to be made. I don't think Alice in Wonderland should be over-done like Twilight (and this is coming from a Twilight fan, I mean, really, it's crazy how much junk they've made for Twilight) but I think two or three different t-shirt designs would be nice.

The only con I can see:
I just hope that the movie sticks to the plot of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Honestly, I hope they don't try and change to much or add characters that weren't in the books, or anyhting like that.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:18 pm
Renkotsu Otaku
I do think Tim Burton is a great director but I'm not too keen on Johnny Depp. He's been good in a few things but he just looks down right scary in the new movie. The movie theater near me already has posters up for it and he makes me want to hide in a corner and cry. He looks like a very scary clown. Although I think if it weren't for the eye contacts, he'd be ok.

However! =D If he does good in the movie and the costume fits the character more, he will redeem himself for the movie. xD

Yeah, I worry about it... but it's Tim Burton, so hopefully he'll be able to pull it all together. :3 I didn't like Depp's costume at first, but now I think it's rather cute, in a silly way. x]  

Malicious Kitten

Malicious Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:27 pm
HurricaneAlice
I think that Johnny Depp is an amazing actor, and further more, I'd actually like it if the film has a bit of a darker sense to it like Tim Burton gives most of his movies. I love Alice in Wonderland, and have read the original and watched the disney movie (who hasn't???) but I think that Wonderland can come across as something not so innocent, and although I don't expect it to be "Saw 15: Alice in Wonderland" I think that giving it just a tad of darkness will make it more captivating.

Also, I don't see why anyone wouldn't like t-shirts to be made. I don't think Alice in Wonderland should be over-done like Twilight (and this is coming from a Twilight fan, I mean, really, it's crazy how much junk they've made for Twilight) but I think two or three different t-shirt designs would be nice.

The only con I can see:
I just hope that the movie sticks to the plot of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Honestly, I hope they don't try and change to much or add characters that weren't in the books, or anyhting like that.

I mean, all I can think about when I think of a, "dark Alice in Wonderland," is American McGees Alice, the PC game. Yeah, it was fun, but... it was just a bit of 'too much darkness,' I guess. For example, the Cheshire Cat had such a scary appearence, when I still saw him as the crazy/loveable/possibly insane Wonderland cat.

As for the T-shirt thing... bleh, I mean, I don't want them to come out with these emo looking scary shirts that you can either see 1.groups of gothics (I have nothing against gothics) making Alice in Wonderland look like it only has a dark side, or 2. crowds of preteen crazed fans all gawking at, "HOW HAWT JOHNNY DEPP LOKED!!!!!11!1elevendy!!"
But maybe I'm just generalizing too much... I just fear that the Alice in Wonderland name will be ruined, just like the Twilight series (Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the books, but the movie was just... terrible).

I'm a little fearful of losing the plot too, but of what I've seen, it pretty much sticks to the original storyline.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:53 pm
i think that although Johnny Depp is a great actor, i can't really see him being the mad hatter...like he has the acting skills, but from what i have seen in the preview, his "mad hatter laugh" sounds like his Willy Wonka Laugh from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...
I do think it will be a great movie, im waiting to go and see it, and possibly go on my birthday razz

McFlyenstein1

Malicious Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:22 pm
McFlyenstein1
i think that although Johnny Depp is a great actor, i can't really see him being the mad hatter...like he has the acting skills, but from what i have seen in the preview, his "mad hatter laugh" sounds like his Willy Wonka Laugh from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...
I do think it will be a great movie, im waiting to go and see it, and possibly go on my birthday razz

I'm going for my birthday too. x3 I'm going to go the first day it opens, March 5, and my birthday is March 7, so that'll just be what I do. ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:51 pm
I agree with all of the above. XP

I'm not the biggest Johnny Depp fan... for some reason he feels kinda greasy to me. (Don't ask...) But he's an incredibly talented actor, and he can pull off a lot so I'm not too worried about him. He does look super creepy to me personally in the advertisements, but I can deal with that.

The darkness thing is an interesting point. I feel like the Wonderland that Carrol created was so open and diverse that there's lots of room for interpretation, so I truly do love the idea of movie directors or whatever casting different lights on it. I feel like there is already a lot of nonsense the AiW world has had to suffer through thus far. I mean, just look at all the AiW inspired Halloween costumes for adults; ridiculous, scarring, and demeaning! I don't feel like there's much that can be done at this point to make it any worse...

o.o
*knocks on wood*

And I agree with you 100% about the potential craze factor, Malicious Kitten. I'm a Twilight fan who hates Twilight fans (not you, of course, HurricaneAlice. XP) now because somehow a crowd found this book that was shoved back in the corner of my local bookstore when it was first published. Craziness. The only thing it makes me thing, though, is that the craze does inspire people to read the originals. Maybe a result will be that people actually go out and make an effort to get to know the original Alice in Wonderland and fall in love with the real thing?

Or maybe I'm just being silly and biased, lol. ^_^;

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Malicious Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:02 pm
N o b o d y s D A M S E L
I agree with all of the above. XP

I'm not the biggest Johnny Depp fan... for some reason he feels kinda greasy to me. (Don't ask...) But he's an incredibly talented actor, and he can pull off a lot so I'm not too worried about him. He does look super creepy to me personally in the advertisements, but I can deal with that.

The darkness thing is an interesting point. I feel like the Wonderland that Carrol created was so open and diverse that there's lots of room for interpretation, so I truly do love the idea of movie directors or whatever casting different lights on it. I feel like there is already a lot of nonsense the AiW world has had to suffer through thus far. I mean, just look at all the AiW inspired Halloween costumes for adults; ridiculous, scarring, and demeaning! I don't feel like there's much that can be done at this point to make it any worse...

o.o
*knocks on wood*

And I agree with you 100% about the potential craze factor, Malicious Kitten. I'm a Twilight fan who hates Twilight fans (not you, of course, HurricaneAlice. XP) now because somehow a crowd found this book that was shoved back in the corner of my local bookstore when it was first published. Craziness. The only thing it makes me thing, though, is that the craze does inspire people to read the originals. Maybe a result will be that people actually go out and make an effort to get to know the original Alice in Wonderland and fall in love with the real thing?

Or maybe I'm just being silly and biased, lol. ^_^;

I could definately agree with you, seeing Alice in Wonderland made with all these different ideas is a bit fun, so maybe Burton will really make this one a hit. ^^

Ah, maybe, if we're lucky it'll happen. Only time will tell, once the movie is out. Till then, I suppose we can soak in our anxiety/excitment. xP How bittersweet, lol. :]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:33 am
Oh my I'm actually very excited for this movie. I've read the books. Both of course and then some. Even though it does look darker than the original, it's Tim Burton, who is a spectatcular director. I wouldn't mind the t-shirts. As long as they don't go over board. You know the disney store is also going to have alot of the new alice in wonderland stuff too. I'm just too stoked. I can't believe its coming out.  

ll Electric F e e l ll

8,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100

Ainsly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:31 am
Tim Burton did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory very well, even brought back the inherent touch of darkness that Roald Dahl originally wrote but has been (excuse the pun) sugar-coated over. In truth, Alice doesn't spend much time in Wonderland feeling very happy, what with everyone being quite mad and really rather combatant as well (not to mention the fact that she can't stay the same size). If Burton does the same for Wonderland's inherent darkness as he did for Chocolate Factory, it's going to be an absolutely splendid movie.

As far as crazy fandom and sell-out merchandise, I won't say no to more Alice stuff as long as it's decently made and not total crap. I just bought a Cheshire Cat t-shirt from Hot Topic the other day and it's now my favorite shirt. So I will happily take any excuse to buy more Wonderland related stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was when I started to hate Johnny Depp, I do enjoy Pirates but not for what other people watch it for, most people see it for Johnny Depp. I hate him, he is not that great of an actor. Everyone swoons over him OMG Johnny Depp he is sooo hot but he is not.

Tim Burton is known for making things dark and Alice in Wonderland is not dark, I hate that it will now be open to the scene kids the ones who never liked Alice in Wonderland from the start like most of us here today.  

AliceXHatter

4,750 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

chani_saint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:36 pm
not only is it a Tim Burton film...but it's Disney.
So ofcourse theres gonna be a major merchandise overload!!! Its not like Hot Topic will be the only place selling it...can you imagine a Johnny Depp plush at the Disney store??? lol
Disney usually keeps its merchandise exclusive. So a few things at Hot Topic and Virgin Megastore ya know. They might not even have standdess at FYE ....maybe?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:42 pm
User Image

What is Virgin Megastore lol

User Image  

AliceXHatter

4,750 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Elswood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:46 pm
I love Johnny Depp as an actor, and no, not because I think he's hot or anything silly like that, he's just a good actor. Also, Tim Burton is great.
And so what if a few emo kids start to like Alice in Wonderland just because of the movie. It might be annoying if they try and act like they're better fans then people who have liked it from the start, but who cares?
If you're a real fan, I don't think that would stop you from enjoying what I think should be a celebration for all Alice-lovers. heart

The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games