Reply [IC] Rogue Lands [IC]
[PRP] News from the Roguelands (Koka x Feana) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sergeant Sargent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 pm
User ImageThe guards of the foreign pride surprised Koka with their friendliness. When she expected to be attacked for drinking their water sources, which consisted of several of the largest lakes she ever laid eyes upon, instead she was greeted cordially and kindly asked what business she had in these lands, called the Pridelands. Rather homely name for a place of such beauty. Having no reason to lie, Koka stated her business plainly:

She was just looking for a drink of water and a shady place to rest, and would most likely be on her way by dusk tomorrow. This satisfied the guard completely and he left her to her business after a short conversation.

Hundreds of tall pink birds of a mysterious breed gathered on the other side of the glassy lake, resembling a mirage. Prey beasts huddled to her far left, keeping their distance. The guard warned her that all creatures, prey or not, were allowed to drink safely at this watering hole, so Koka left them alone. They were too large for her to take down on her own anyway. To tell the truth, due to her desert upbringing her experience taking down large prey was quite limited; just another good reason to abandon the alien grasslands for the unforgiving, yet familiar dunes.

Koka trod into the cool shallows of the lake. Ripples formed from her paws, splitting her reflection with bounces of flashing light. She took another cautious step. Water dripped off her paws and splashed in the shallows, a beautiful tinkling sound – the music of pure life. When the water came up to her ankles she froze, waiting for the distortion to fade. Finally her reflection shone clearly upon the surface. Koka gazed at it reverently. She had not seen her reflection since she was a little girl. She turned her head to one side, staring at the scar-like mark under her left eye and flattening her ears. The marking she inherited from him. “Dhalim.”

Did she still resent her father after all this time? Koka sighed. Only fools hold grudges against the dead. She glanced to her left and right, listening. Sensing the peacefulness of the lake, Koka bowed her head and cautiously lapped up the bounteous water.

((Note: This takes place on the outskirts of the Pridelands by one of the largest watering holes.))  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:47 am
User ImageThat peacefulness would be interrupted as a flash of gray and pink raced towards the pink birds, growling at them and snapping at their legs. Of course Feana knew not to hurt the birds, but it didn't stop her from teasing them. With a laugh, the adolescent pawed at one of the baby birds who didn't move away fast enough and then splashed heavily into the water, almost 'diving' into the depths. Yes, this female adored the water, and adored making things a giant mess.

Surfacing, she took a gasping breath as she swam around, looking to the birds who settled right back with a snort. "Stupid birds!" She said, finally turning around. Spotting an unfamiliar lioness in the shallows, she blinked hard and started her slow swim towards the white one.

"Heeey! Who're you?" she asked through pants and gasps. Swimming wasn't exactly her strong suit, but she'd never drowned before, so Feana took to not worrying. Until she wen down, caught by something growing upwards. Her blue eyes opened under the fresh water and she swiped at the plant, successfully tearing it and hurried towards the surface, scrambling for the safety of the shallows.

Once she was finally there, the pink and gray female gasped and panted before shaking herself off, forgetting the unfamiliar female. Her paws scrambled to get on the firm ground before she huddled there, dripping wet, looking not at all like she usually did. She was panicked, scared and her heart was drumming in her ears. From a distance, she could hear the laughter of some prey animal. "Pray I don't get you next," she snapped, turning her wet head, water splashing everywhere, as she tried to look. By no means was she the most graceful or mild mannered lioness this pride had to offer. No wonder she remained a youth.

Feral Mule

Sergeant Sargent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:12 am
Koka saw the young lioness coming from a distance. Knowing the friendly nature of this pride, she felt safe enough to smile at the youngster, until she tried swimming the lake. Koka herself could not swim and became distressed when the lioness suddenly went under. She might drown!

Concerned, Koka braved deeper into the shallows until the water almost reached her shoulders. When the youngster surfaced again and came near Koka grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and helped her pull herself toward the shore, allowing the lioness to lean on her once the water became shallow enough for her to walk on the bottom again. Water was such a precious element that she didn’t mind being wet. When they reached the shore, Koka shook herself off as well.

“You shouldn’t try to swim through such deep water. Are you alright?” She sounded almost like the girl’s mother giving her a scolding. The youngster shivered, drawing a sigh from her lips. She looked in need of comfort, but Koka knew it was not her place to coddle some other lioness’s cub, so she just sat beside her with their tails overlapping, keeping her company until she calmed down. “My name is Koka.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:22 am
Feana was thankful the other was there, helping her. Because she couldn't have done that alone. Not when she was scared out of her mind and wheezing for air. Eventually, she calmed down enough to realize that there was a motherly figure near her. Was it her mom? Looking up, she realized it wasn't and sighed softly before starting to groom herself, attempting to get the water off her fur. She hated being wet, she really did. But more than anything, she didn't like getting help from new lions. Despite the fact she actually needed help, part of her was beating herself up for even needing that kind of help.

Finally, once she was sure she was dry enough, she huffed again and looked up to the white lioness and offered an apologetic smile. "Sorry. I just.... I can swim. But.. something got caught around my back paw," she murmured, ears lowered like she was getting a scolding. Those blue eyes shifted and looked her over before getting at a distance away. "But.. Thanks for the help. I mean... I was pretty freaked out, wasn't I?"

She bet she looked like an idiot in that water. And her day had been going so well. Sighing softly, she rubbed her paw over her face and then licked it, getting behind her ears dry. Since her head fur was shifted, one could see the pink dots that lay above her eyes.

"...I don't know you. Where are you from?"

Feral Mule

Sergeant Sargent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 am
Motherly instincts urged her to help lick the youngster dry. She restrained herself and set about cleaning legs instead, working her way down to her ankles and paws where the mud from the lake had squished between her pads. The soil tasted rich with life. She spit it out as she cleaned. The bath calmed her a little. When they finished their separate baths the other young lioness finally seemed up to speaking again.

“My mother once lived to the south of these lands. That was before your time. I hail from the desert further north. I left for a little while and now I’m going back.” There was conviction in her words. This youngster had probably lived in the grasslands her whole life. Koka assumed she wouldn’t understand the application for life one earns from living in such a harsh land. Koka despised the idea of growing complacent in a land of plenty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:46 am
Blinking a little at the explanation, the girl grinned. Maybe she'd seen her mother in her wanderings. Well, it seemed like she'd come a long way, anyway. Feana wasn't sure. Still, shaking her fur back into place, she settled down on her haunches again and gave a huge flash of a grin. "So... Did you see a gray and brown lioness?" She asked asked, looking more and more excited. "She would be strong looking, but she's gentle.. My mom left when I was a cub, for another pride. I want to go see her. Do you know? Gray and brown..." She repeated, nodding a little bit.

Of course she was excited. This stranger might have seen her mother. "If you saw her, did you know which direction she was going?" Feana cursed the way she couldn't remember the name of the pride her mother went to join with her siblings. Or why she stayed behind in the Pridelands.

Feral Mule

Sergeant Sargent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:06 pm
Koka’s eyelids lowered and she turned her gaze on the horizon, glancing inside of herself. Her expression quieted, impartial to the world and to the memories that flowed behind her eyes. After a long silence she turned back to Feana. “I believe I did.” She took a deep breath. “She seemed to be traveling toward the south east. I do not know the lay of the land, so where her destination lies I cannot guess.”  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:12 pm
Well, that gave her a good starting direction when she left the pride. Looking to the stranger, she frowned a little. "I guess I'm pretty rude. ...I'm Feana. ...Thanks for the information, too. And the help, you know... So I didn't die. What are you doing? I mean, here? Traveling? Did you talk to my mother?" She asked, getting more and more interested. Laying down, not minding the mud, Feana watched Koka with a smile. This female seemed pretty interesting. "I mean... Sure you're resting, right? Pridelands are a good place to do that, from what the outsiders say."  

Feral Mule

Sergeant Sargent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:59 pm
Feana seemed unusually energetic for her age. This might have irritated Koka, but she felt too glad for friendly company to complain. She met few lions outside of her small family. Even as cubs she and her siblings had always been quiet and reserved with only a few moments to spare for play. She gave herself another shake, flinging tiny droplets of water from her belly, and walked a little farther up the bank and lay down to sun herself on a dry patch of earth and grass.

“Merely passing through,” she sighed, admiring the majesty of the lake. “The winds tell me that the desert is very close now. I must gather my strength before the final leg of my journey. Strange… these lands teem with life and yet, perhaps not a day’s walk to the north lays a sterile and desolate land. You cannot imagine the tranquility that washes over the barren dunes after dawn; you simply have to be there.” Her golden eyes drifted toward the rabble of birds and other beasts crowding the lake.

She blinked, ears drawing back. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to ramble. She was moving at a swift pace, away from my destination, and I only saw her from afar, so I kept to my own path.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:13 pm
The not quite an adult lioness moved closer to the fully grown one, inching every so slowly. Of course Feana was energetic. This female had seen her mother! She hadn't seen her mother since she was a cub. Oh, how she longed to nuzzle into her mother's fur again. It beat her dad's, as much as she loved the big lion. It just wasn't the same.

Finally out in then sun, she sprawled out unguarded and not caring about being in the company of an outsider. This would get Feana into a couple of scrapes, especially when she was younger. She pawed at the other's side, wanting to play, but knowing the female wasn't her family or friend, not even part of the pride. Feana quickly withdrew her paws with an apology before sighing. "Sorry, sorry. I just.... I'm excited. You seen my mom. I haven't seen her since I was little. ...We talked about everything back then."

A sad smile crossed her face before laughing sadly and sighing. "Ah, well. I'll find her. With your direction. Thank you again, for that. She had my siblings with her. .....See, I won't join their pride, but I wonder if I could see her again, visit her on the outskirts after I leave this land. I want to see if I can join a pride with a lion named Kenya." Kenya was on a search for his name in the Rougelands. She met him on the outskirts, just like she met this female.

Feral Mule

Sergeant Sargent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:45 pm
Koka’s pelt twitched where Feana had touched. The tremor seemed to travel to her tail, which flicked with mild irritation. She was not really a cold individual. If she knew Feana better or if they met in familiar lands she might have been more welcoming.

As Feana spoke about her intentions, Koka smiled faintly in approval. She cast her gaze to the north. “I hope to find a pride in the desert that will have me. There is only one that I know of, however they are a pride of warmongers who would only take me as a slave, or a corpse perhaps. But my mother made a living in the desert with three cubs, so there must be other lions somewhere among the dunes. If they are not organized in a pride then I may just form one of my own.”

She chuckled lightly, turning to look Feana in the eyes. Her amber eyes resembled two shining stones. “There are only two necessities for living your dreams: persistence and hope. I think you will find your mother, if you are strong in your heart.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:54 pm
Strong in her heart? How did she know if she was? With a little sigh, Feana shifted around and on her other side, soaking up the sun against her cold body. "Strong in heart..." It made her think. She really wanted to see her mother, but when times got really hard, Feana was often found to be running to someone else. Was that strong at heart? Running away from you problems instead of confronting them.

"I could be ....I don't know. I just really, really want to see her again. I think my siblings will come with me on the trek. That should make it easier, right? I mean..." Having someone with her. That would be perfect for her. Someone she could cry on or too, when things got to hard. Leaving a perfectly sheltered home would not be easy. Her paws haven't touched desert sands. Only grass, rock, and water. Most weren't privileged to that, where they?

How one stranger got her thinking, she wasn't sure. But it could lead to a big change in her life. In her personality. "...I don't know. They probably won't come with me, with the pranking I do on them. Covered one in honey and leaves by the end of the day. ....Got another caught in a vine in a tree, dangling by one paw. The vine snapped before anything happened, but he was pretty mad.."

Feral Mule

Sergeant Sargent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:07 pm
Koka rolled onto her back, letting the sun soak her wet belly as she sighed. So the sun can be an enemy and a friend, she mused.

Feana represented everything Koka believed she would become if she stayed in the grasslands. Reckless, carefree, soft. She knew better than to blame Feana for her imperfections. She thought that if everyone could choose where they were born they would all choose to be born right here, beside this lake in a land of green and luxury. That did not mean that the land was good for them. She closed her eyes, enjoying the sun’s warm caress as she thought about what she should say.

“You can always draw strength from having someone to share in your pain, but most of the time you have to rely on your own hard work. If I was your sister, I would not go with you,” she said gently, her head tilted to look at Feana. “I left my sister behind when I chose to go back to the desert, and my mother, too. Even though I love my family dearly I knew that I could never be happy here, as beautiful as it is. I’m just too stubborn, I suppose.”

Now she gave a different kind of sigh, the kind of sigh that escapes the throat by pushing aside a knot of regret. Her family deserved this land. Their peace was well earned, but what about her own? Sometimes she wondered what drove her back to the land where her other brothers and sisters had died. Maybe that was her peace of mind.

She continued without pause. “My mother taught me that courage is not the absence of fear, but knowing fear and doing what you must. If your desire to see your mother is stronger than your fear, then go.” She shrugged with her back to the ground. “Do you hunt for yourself?”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:23 pm
Feana was taken aback by those words. With a blink, she stared at the other with a huff. Why wouldn't she go with her? "I... can't be by myself for long. I hate it. The silence just... makes my head hurt. I have to have some kind of noise, talking to me.. or something!" Even if it was screaming, it would be better than silence. Maybe she could make the trek with Kenya. Maybe...

With a sigh, the gray female stood up and shook herself off again before shivering and frowning. Now Feana didn't know what to do. Be strong at heart meant being alone, but she wanted to see her mother. WITH someone. Feana had never been alone for more than a few hours a day. It just didn't happen. Licking her paw again before snorting. "I ....don't know. I mean, sure, I know what courage is, I have to have it everyday to come out here near the outskirts, but.. I've never been passed here."

She was terrified of leaving the Pridelands. That's what it boiled down to. Terrified of leaving her home and getting lost, by herself. "As... for hunting for myself? No. Me and my siblings rely on the hunters to bring us food. Dad hasn't taken us to learn. I've watched but not actually done. Why?"

Feral Mule

Sergeant Sargent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 pm
Truth be told, Koka felt a little awkward giving so much advice. She never thought of herself as the kind of lioness to hand out life lessons to a stranger who was not much younger than herself. Of course Koka felt older than she looked, especially when she thought of all her experiences in the desert, but when she stopped to think about it for a moment she realized that the two of them were living under similar circumstances. For the first time in her life, Koka was away from her mother and sister. In a way they made up the only home she had ever known, even though her heart now lay with the desert dunes.

She shook away these unwanted thoughts. The young lioness already hung on her every word. She may as well finish what she started. Still basking in the sun, her eyes alone followed Feana. Her tail thumped from side to side. “Hmph. Then you should learn to hunt for yourself first. When you’ve done that the journey will seem less daunting. Besides, you’ll find others more willing to travel with you if you can provide for yourself.”

[IC] Rogue Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff