Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which character/creature would you like to see art of next?

Mikey 0.12941176470588 12.9% [ 11 ]
John 0.082352941176471 8.2% [ 7 ]
Fluffs (post which one) 0.41176470588235 41.2% [ 35 ]
Father Garghoul 0.058823529411765 5.9% [ 5 ]
Malevobear 0.16470588235294 16.5% [ 14 ]
Other: Please post 0.15294117647059 15.3% [ 13 ]
Total Votes:[ 85 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 >

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Story Update: Sorry it's taken forever. I lost the notebook I was writing the next chapter in about two weeks ago, teaches me not to leave a car door unlocked around an art campus. So I've been having to rewrite it from memory. About a quarter of the way through the rewrite I'll keep you posted on any changes.

Shadowy Shapeshifter

39,525 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
ah, berry what will you do next i wonder, well hopefuly you didnt lose anything else -mew

Friendly Shapeshifter

11,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Something is better than nothing, as I'm often told. I'm still working on the chapter but here's the first part of it.

Chapter 23: The Enemy of My Enemy

“If Aekea wasn’t creepy enough the road to their toy store definitely is.” Jeremy was commenting for the seventh time as they walked uphill. The road was lined by empty apartments and damaged but still functional robots for collecting the trash. They crawled along the sidewalks with paper scraps still clutched in their mechanical claws.

“We heard you the first six times Jeremy.” Henry called back. He was a bit ahead of the group scouting the road ahead for any dangers. He kicked a tin can that had been left in the road to the side as he stared up at the vacant windows. Everyone had been so melancholy since the transmitter broke. He had hopes at least some of the letters home had managed to finish sending. “Looks like we have another quarter mile to go until we’re to the front doors.”

“Michael, given how long the signal lasted before it began to destabilize, do you think our letters got home?” Kerri asked as she trotted up next to Mikey. He had been keeping his distance from the rest of the group after coming back through the portal, and Kerri was trying to get him to talk again.

“If I had to estimate, I’d say at least six of the messages home made it.” He said brashly as he kept walking. He’d been silently assessing his situation since the underworld. His own looming mortality weighed heavily on him as he wondered whether or not they could even succeed. He felt that his letter hadn’t made it in the transmission and he was frightened his legacy would be just an online echo.

“What happened on the other side? You haven’t been the same since you came back from Earth-side.” Penelope boxed him in on the other side. His quiet brooding had become noticeable since they left downtown Aekea. “Was it the sensation of being transmitted to and from? Was it some kind of brush with death? What was that lizard creature you fell back through with? She thought by asking a lot of questions she might get Mikey to at least answer something.

“That lizard was The Phantom’s true form.” KJ chimed in, she could tell from the look on his face that Mikey was deep in thought; the kind of thoughts that should not be disturbed until they’ve reached a conclusion. “You guys know that The Phantom used to be an Anari, right? Well, that lizard is a bulked up version of what he used to be as an Anari. It’s based off Nullsaurs, which are an evil you thankfully haven’t had to combat yet. Vicious little buggers with their claws and whip-like tails.” Mikey shot her a smile that she took as meaning a thank you.

John who’d been between the rest of the group and Henry decided to talk about something he’d been thinking of since Aekea. “We implemented the interfaces on a relay system. We designed the system to work on a basis that the server relayed information directly to the interface, then the interface relays it on to the brain; two legs in the relay. But that portal in the sky acted as another relay leg. The system wasn’t designed to handle that without either seriously glitching up or ejecting the player for safety reasons. That’s why I tried to stop you from going through. But thing is, if it had had either effect, you wouldn’t be here, and clear as day you’re standing with me. It’s been bugging me about the how. I know your brain is different and while that has given you a significant edge, the fact it could handle that is a miracle.”

“Maybe some strange influence of The Phantom on the way things code?” KJ suggested as Mikey stopped and looked down at the ground. She could tell John’s words were part of something he was thinking about.

“I’m not certain I’m following the same relay conditions.” He said dryly as he started again, “I’ve been wondering ever since I rejoined you in Phazian Wastes the first time why I experienced things differently. I’ve reached two conclusions and I don’t like either of them. And they complicate things later if we succeed.” He said briskly as he caught up to Henry.

“Care to elaborate, or is that all we’re getting about your enigmatic brooding?” Jeremy stared a Mikey like he was ready for a fight.

Mikey took a deep breath and sighed as he shrugged his shoulders, “It’s no small secret any more about who my family is. I am Michael Berth Jr. Son of the inventor of the Brainlink Controller. What you don’t know is, he tested his prototype on me and my sister when we were both kids. It left me with some significant damage and a chemical dependence on using the controller. It’s that damage that’s allowed me to interact with the zOMG world the way I have, with being able to create different powers, copying abilities, keep up with The Phantom’s strength. But at the same time I’m also on a clock, so to speak. According to my last visit to a neurologist, I should be dead before next Friday. He didn’t specify whether it’d be physical death or brain death, either way if that happens while I’m here well, one of two options. Either it’s already happened and I’m just a phantom left behind, which would mean there was no relays involved with me venturing to Earth, or that venture to Earth causes it because of a cascading program glitch that has yet to catch up to me. And that’s why both possibilities scare me.” He quietly began walking again as everyone stared at him silently. Nobody quite knew what to say to a dead man walking.

They were walking a few minutes in silence before Henry finally spoke again, “You said you’re chemically dependent on the interface. That means there’s a possibility of being able to medically treat you right?” He asked cautiously.

“At some point doctors tried giving me a cocktail of those chemicals to see what it would do. I became a mess like a meth addict. So unless there’s a way to counter those effects, maybe there is I don’t know, I’m stuck.” Mikey replied. As he silently walked on, nobody thought about pursuing the matter further. John was thinking about his recent life as they walked along, his thoughts lingered on his family and recent events.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Come on dad, I want to play catch. I need to practice for a game this weekend. You’ll be there right?” His son ran down the hallway of their home to the back door.

“Alright, just give me a moment to finish up this design.” John stared blankly at the computer. He was looking over designs for new animated creatures that were concepts for an upcoming project. He’d received an email about seeing if he would be interested in working on the zOMG Project again. With the email he was sent some sketches of various creatures under consideration for animated.

“You said that an hour ago when I wanted to have a tea party.” His daughter whined about his response. John shrugged his shoulders as he stood up and stretched his arms. He rolled his head before grabbing the baseball and going outside. It was already sunset and the smell of the ocean breeze stung his nose as he tossed the ball back and forth with his son. They tossed the ball back and forth joking with one another about various things. Before Mrs. Kim approached the back door.

“Come on you two, before dinner gets cold.” She smiled as she beckoned them both to come back inside. John, his son and daughter, and wife all sat around the table; they’d been lucky and had twins. They passed around the various dishes with food, which had spent the last few hours in a crockpot, until everyone had a small mound on theirs plates. “So what were you two boys talking about outside?” Mrs. Kim asked.

“Well we were talking about a new job I was offered.” John bit into a roll he was holding and chewed it a few times.

“Technically, it’s your old job.” His son laughed as he scooped up some peas and potatoes.

“Mind telling me dear?” She looked at John across the table.

“Working on the zOMG! Project again. Apparently, someone higher up in Gaia’s management thought it was worth another look. They want a complete rebuild of chapter one to fit a new controller going through prototyping right now, and some test productions for a chapter two. They want to get the original zOMG! staff back together to make sure everything flows together.” John replied as knives and forks clanged against the plates.

“Dad what’s zOMG?” His daughter asked as she looked at him.

“It’s a game your dad did some art and design work for. He was one of the last few people working on the project before it was shelved for so long.” His wife replied.

“Oh. Can I play it?” His daughter asked in reply.

“Depends on if your mother is okay with her daughter becoming a better player than she is.” John smiled back as his wife shot him a smirk.

“This doesn’t look good. We’ve got Grunny Tanks and golems broken down and battered to hell on the last stretch ahead. No fighting, but the silence worries me.” Jeremy called back from ahead.

“Either the golems were kamikazes or there’s some third party we’re not seeing from this debris field.” Henry was flipping over some of the twisted metal wreckage there was.

“We’ve already seen some strange behaviors from them, what if the golems possessed some kind of self-destruct coding?” Kerri and the others caught up to Jeremy and Henry and were in awe of the wreckage they saw.

“How many golems have we seen explode when it would be advantageous?” KJ picked a few plasma rifles from the arms of broken golems to look at them. “Besides, most of their weapons still read as fully charged.” She tossed one to Mikey to examine.

He looked the plasma rifle over while examining scorch marks of part of a Grunny Tank, he pointed the rifle at an untouched part of the tank and fired off a few rounds. “These scorch marks weren’t made by the golems’ plasma weapons.” He pointed to some of the charred metal. “Maybe an explosive or high energy beam weapon.” He looked at the plasma weapon he held before tossing it away.

“Found a Grunny Tank with its onboard computer still intact!” John called out. Mikey and the others joined him around the blinking computer. “Think it’ll interface with that tablet the Aekeans gave us?” He added.

“One way to find out.” Jeremy pulled out a tablet computer that was silver in color. He pulled on one of the cables and checked the computer in the tank to see if it would fit. “Adapter looks like it will fit.” He said as he plugged in.

“If it’s available check the last recording.” Mikey said as Jeremy navigated a series of menus. He pressed on a blinking file and the tablet loaded a video in another window. They watched and listened to the rabble of chatter that was the grunnies communicating with each other over the radio systems they had as they moved up the hill. The video continued to play as the grunnies stopped at the top of the hill to meet a line of golems. There was static for several seconds, during which explosions and gunfire could be heard. The static was still a bit of a haze as some of the image cleared up, revealing a horrific sight. Grunny Tanks and golems were working together against some kind of explosive action figure looking enemies and enemies firing small plastic pellets that exploded on contact.

“Turn it off.” Henry said.

“Why?” Jeremy asked.

“Just, I suddenly feel uncomfortable like we’re being watched.” He said. The video continued playing as Grunny Tank mounted camera was knocked off by an explosion. One of the action figures picked up the camera to turn it around to show the carnage before smiling creepily. It gingerly set the camera down so that it could focus on the figure burying itself in the ground. In the video several of the figures could be seen also burying themselves.

“Jeremy, pack it up. We’re about to get very busy.” Mikey said as he saw several mounds rising from the ground.

“What do we do?” Penelope asked.

“Sprint for the door, shoot anything in the way.” Mikey replied.

“But.” Henry began.

“They’re made of pure explosive and shoot explosives, do you really want to try fighting that?” Mikey replied. After a second Henry nodded. “Now!” Mikey called as they took off for the door. As they made for the door they were greeted by several of the creepy smiling action figures. As they’d pass close to one the head on the figure would enlarge and contract like a beating heart before exploding. Mikey was the first to reach the door and he held the surprisingly heavy glass and metal open as he motioned the others in. Penelope was still lagging behind from her sprained ankle, “Henry, don’t open the door until I tell you.” Mikey slammed the door shut and took off back towards Penelope. A group of the action figures had surrounded her and were about to explode. “Get down!” Mikey shouted as a blue shield took form around Penelope.

“Mikey!” She watched as explosion after explosion rocked the bubble shield she was in. The bubble dissipated after the last of the action figures near her exploded. She stood up and limped her way over to Mikey. The two of them moved towards the door with smaller blue shields flickering here and there as nearby action figures would explode. Mikey tapped the door three times. Henry quickly opened it wide enough to let them in and closed it as soon as they were inside. Mikey leaned against the door and pressed both his hands to it as it began to glow blue. It shuddered several times as they could hear explosions on the other side. After the last one rocked the door Mikey collapsed to the ground, twin streams of blood ran down from his nose and onto his shirt as he lay twitching on the ground.

“Michael?” Kerri knelt down next to him and put a hand on his chest until he stopped twitching.

“It looks like it might be taking more effort for him to use those abilities.” John said.

“Obviously, but why?” Henry looked him over to make sure he’d stopped bleeding before they tried to wake him up.

“It could be a side effect of what he was talking about earlier with his brain failing. Maybe it’s having trouble holding itself together so additional strains just drain him.” Jeremy put a hand on Mikey’s shoulder as he came around. “You okay? Thought you we lost you for a bit. You okay?” Jeremy and Kerri both looked Mikey over before helping him to his feet.

Mikey looked around a moment before speaking, “I saw a chamber with a strange pillar of sparking energy in it. I also saw us fighting The Phantom there.” He took a few deep breaths before starting again, “It’s getting harder for me to focus on things, which in turn is making it harder for me to trigger ring imitations. I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to continue.”

“Don’t worry about it. We’re a team, and that means looking out for each other. At least we know why we couldn’t reach Labtech X or any Grunny Tanks now.” Henry looked around the empty checkout counters at the toy store they were in. “So why would minions of one of his generals turn against his main army?” Henry finally said as they approached one of the counters.

“You think The Phantom is losing control of his own forces?” Jeremy asked as he looked at some of the empty shelves.

“No he’s starting a ballet company. Of course he’s losing control. We’ve upset the balance of power, makes sense some of his minions would question how well thought out his plan is if he can’t manage a few interlopers. But why now? Malevobear is the last general before Kamila, and he’s holding hostage a council of this world’s citizens that were about to unite against The Phantom.” KJ retorted.

“If he really wanted to turn on The Phantom he’d join the council.” Kerri tried turning one of the registers on to no effect.

“Kimberly, was Wayne Pennyworth part of the council?” Mikey asked.

“Kimberly? So you did pick a name! I’m so proud of you.” Penelope chattered.

KJ raised an eyebrow, “Uhh yeah. And yes, he was at the council meeting. Why?”

“He was the original intended villain of chapter two, most of The Phantom’s generals were originally experiments of Wayne’s. Just a hunch.” Mikey said as he approached the shelves.

“John.” A voice called from the darkness, “John, wake up. You’re going to be late for your first day back at Gaia.” His alarm clock was going off as his wife stood at the end of the bed. He rolled over and looked at the time on the display, and opened his eyes wide as he jumped out of bed.

He hurriedly showered and brushed his teeth as dragged a razor over his stubble. He quickly dressed himself and filled a travel mug with coffee before kissing his children on the head. They watched curiously as they ate their cereal until they heard his car leave the driveway. His son was the first to crack up, then his daughter and finally his wife began laughing. “Good prank mom, setting his clock an hour fast.” His son said.

“Let that be a warning to you kids. Don’t mess with mommy.” She sipped her mug of coffee smugly.

Meanwhile on the road, John was banging his head against the steering wheel as he found himself stuck in traffic on the highway into town. He turned up the radio to drown out the sound of incessant horn honking. The station he’d picked was full of advertisements so he began adjusting the dial to find a station that was actually playing music. After about twenty minutes of constantly changing the station he was forced to leave it on the morning radio talk show because the traffic had started moving at a good pace. “Finally. Maybe I’ll make it just in time then.” He muttered to himself as he drove on. After another forty minutes of the stop and go and babbling about farm product prices he was finally pulling onto the street for Gaia HQ when he heard an interesting ad.

“Do you play games like World of Warcraft, League of Legends, or MapleStory? If you answered yes to any of these we’ve got a game for you to try. Go online to gaiaonline.com, go to our game selection and give zOMG! a try. We dare you. Like what you’ve played? Well new content is currently being developed. zOMG! try it today.” The advertisement went.

John chuckled a moment, “If that’s the best ad and placement they came up with it’s no wonder the game didn’t perform to expectations. Some of the players around the forums could make better ads and place them better than that.” He shook his head as he pulled into the parking garage. He could see Bret and Ryan talking next to their cars as he jumped out of his.

“Someone’s early for day one back on the job.” Bret joked.

“Early? My clock says it’s almost a quarter till ten.” John looked at his watch in horror.

“Ah yes, your wife called while you were on the road and told us about how you adjusted her browser to Rick Roll her every two hours. She said she got you back by moving all your clocks an hour and a half forward.” Ryan took a drink from his mug after telling John.

“So we’re really getting the team back together to work on zOMG again?” Bret asked.

“Someone higher up thought it was a move the company could afford now, and they wanted people who knew the material and were passionate about it working on it.” Ryan said he smiled a moment before adding, “Told you all I’d be the one they couldn’t get rid of.”

“John wake up.”

“John wake up please.” Penelope was shaking John back to consciousness as a jet of water flew overhead.

“What happened?” He was groggy in getting up. The world around him felt like it was spinning.

“We wandered into the appliance section and you took a Washmor’s hydrojet to the chest.” Penelope helped him to his feet.

“I don’t get it Kimberly, you said the Maytagues were on your side.” Kerri jumped out of the way of a Drymor’s flamejet as it scorched the ground. The dryer animated rumbled as it took a few shuddering steps.

“They were. I have no idea what could be happening now.” KJ looked a split second at the approaching animated, “Look out!” She pushed Henry to the ground as a lamp animated almost hit him with a beam of light.

Mikey was struggling against the ice a refrigerator animated had buried his feet in. He bobbed side to side to avoid its barrage of ice spears before launching a beam of light at it. “Probably the same thing that happened to those Exploaction Figures outside. We’ve caused such chaos, people have no idea who to side with now.” As the Refridgator collapsed the ice around Mikey’s feet cracked enough he could free himself.

“We need to get through here. That council is counting on us.” Jeremy knocked over an animated that was a combination TV and DVD player as it fired several metal discs. The appliances were in retreat as the crew continued to push on. When at last they found themselves through the appliance section of the store and into the construction toys they breathed a sigh of relief.

“Alright, five minutes then we press on.” Mikey said as everyone began brushing assorted parts and pieces from their clothing. Mikey’s head moved back and forth as he scanned the construction section for anything approaching. He couldn’t shake the feeling of being watched. There had been a humming in his left ear since he returned from Earth with occasional crackling, he clutched his ear as he thought he heard whispers amongst the humming. “Kimberly, do you think you could program the tablet to transmit a signal to somewhere.” He asked as he coughed a bit. He looked at his hand and then wiped off the red speckles from it onto his pants.

“To anywhere within the server, it is possible it could transmit. But the tablet doesn’t have enough power to transmit to Earth at all. Why?” She looked at Mikey as he continued to stare down the section.

“Just a feeling, like we might need it soon.” He finally saw something in one of the aisles: A small RC car with a camera mounted to it. He took careful aim for a few seconds before blasting off one of its wheels. He quietly retrieved the car and brought it back before anyone noticed what was going on. He dropped it on one of the empty shelves they were leaning against.

“What is that?” Henry looked at all the spikes on the car.

“It’s been watching us. How long, I don’t know.” He pried the camera from the cradle it sat in. He was examining the camera when Jeremy spoke.

“KJ where is the stockroom? I have a feeling that’s our target destination.” He asked as he stood back up.

“At the back of the store. We’ve still got to get through the construction toys, action figures, and electronics, still a ways out.” She gathered up as they began walking through the construction toys section. Several boxes were shredded on the shelf and several loose pieces on the ground were cracked or broken. There were scorch marks and water puddles in several places around where they found damaged toy pieces.

“Look.” Kerri bent down and picked up memory card from the ground. Jeremy reached for the tablet and began pressing a few things on the screen before handing it to Kerri. She plugged the memory card into the tablet and a video began playing.

The scared face of Jonjon stared back up from the tablet’s screen, “Mayday, mayday. Our attempt to escape in the confusion of a civil war here is failing. The battle has been between Phantom loyalists and servants of a turncoat that was among us in the council. Wayne Pennyworth is not to be trusted. He’s got something. It’s turning some of the animated to his side, including Malevobear. Phantom loyalists have been surprisingly helpful in our escape attempt. But we’re surrounded making a last stand here. Oh god.” He looked away as several flame jets and electric bolts zoomed past. “Oh god, they’re coming. If anyone finds this…” He was cut off as a large metallic black claw grabbed him and smashed his recording device.

Everyone was silent as they looked at one another nervously. The camera Mikey was holding began to chirp, “Greetings humans, no I’m not an animated camera, but I am an animated in the store. We have a common enemy. We’ll meet you in the action figures section. Good luck.” A garbled voice chirped.

“So we’re going to ally ourselves with Phantom loyalists? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.” John commented.

“If we’re taking a vote, I’m with John on this one. We’ve been fighting these guys all this time, now we’re working with them. I don’t like it.” Penelope shrugged.

Mikey crushed the camera in his hand before he finally spoke, “I don’t like it any better than you do. But if we’re going to rescue that council we need a way to get at Malevobear. If the loyalists can keep Malevobear’s minions off us. Then let them take the damages and we’ll mop them up after we’ve taken care of the bear and Pennyworth.” Mikey replied.

The march to the action figure section was a somber one as they gingerly stepped around the broken remains of Constructor animated. If any of them dared speak it was in a whisper. Mikey and KJ were walking a few paces behind the rest of the group as they kept whispering to each other in hurried tones, “You want me to be ready to broadcast a signal to where? Have you lost it?’ She looked at him startled by what he’d just asked her about doing should the situation arise.

“You heard me correctly. I have a sinking feeling about it, but I want to be prepared for any possible contingency we may need squaring off against Pennyworth and Malevobear. And that broadcast, as much as I hate saying, could be a very real contingency plan.” He replied in a bitter tone.

“I could do it, if I was somewhere the PDA could get a signal to use for the broadcast, which means being outside of this toy store. I hope you’re wrong about needing it, but in likelihood that you aren’t I’ll work on it.” KJ replied flatly. Her tone softened to a more gentle tone before she continued, “How’s holding yourself together?” Mikey shot her a sour questioning look like she’d figured out something secret, “You can hide it from them because they don’t understand about being pure thought in this world. You’ve got the look I’ve seen in many animated and NPC’s when their programming becomes unstable.”

Mikey looked away a moment to ensure none of the others were trying to listen to their conversation before replying in a whisper KJ could barely hear, “How long have you known?”

“Since Kerri told me about what happened in the Underworld and Halloweentown” She leaned closer, “I’ve seen how you fight now versus before. You’re more held back, more reserved, like a majority of your focus is on something else.” She pulled back and dropped her tone again, “Tell me, what was your letter home about? Was it a good bye note to the world?”

Mikey pulled away from KJ in agitation, “My letter home probably didn’t make it, so what does it matter?” He looked down at his balled up fists.

“No need to get so emotional. You aren’t the only one here with an expiration date.” KJ responded tersely.

“I’ve given yours and the other’s problem with the size of The Void some thought. Your current programming keeps everything you experience in active uncompressed memory, right?” KJ nodded at Mikey’s simplification, “What if we could restructure your programming to compress and store away inactive processes and memories in such a way they can be uncompressed and recompressed as necessary?”

“And how would you do that?” KJ looked at him shocked at the conversation shift.

“By basing the restructuring on a machine that already does that.” He pointed to his head, “The human brain stores a remarkable size of information. Mostly, by filing it away from the active mind unless called upon, then it decompresses the needed memory from storage, gleans useful information needed in active thought, and then recompresses it to store.”

“I don’t see how that gets around the issue of size, but it’s a start.” KJ responded.

Kerri and Penelope were talking to each other about a dozen paces ahead of Mikey and KJ. They couldn’t hear what the two were whispering about but they could see the reactions. “You sure you’re okay with your boyfriend talking so intimately with her?” Penelope whispered.

“He’s not my boyfriend, not officially yet. But it’s not like he’s going to chase after another woman simulated or not.” Kerri replied coolly.

“Could have fooled me on the official part. You two really do act like it.” Penelope replied, Kerri only smiled as they continued walking.

“I trust him enough.” Kerri replied.

Ahead of Kerri and Penelope, Jeremy and Henry were walking side beside. After giving him several strange looks Henry finally decided to say something to Jeremy, “So you’re like a mini-Mikey” He asked.

Jeremy chuckled and shook his head thinking of an answer, “Hmm, I may be young and intelligent, but are you like a mini-Schwarzenegger? You got muscles and a slight accent, and a pair of stunner shades.” Jeremy replied.

“I see your point.” Henry shrugged, “But you are the nerdy kind right?”

“Well yeah,” Jeremy said, “I am only 14 and a junior in high school.” He smiled at that.

“So you are a brain. I barely passed high school.” Henry sighed as he responded.

“But I imagine you broke many hearts while being the star of the football team.” Jeremy glanced at Henry, “I have trouble with women; the trouble of always thinking.” He sighed.

“Too many hearts. But I’m trying to do better.” Henry shot back.

“With Penelope?” Jeremy asked.

“Yeah.” Henry paused a moment as he was thinking, “Hey, have you ever thought instead of thinking around a girl all the time, you try just stopping and letting things happen naturally. You know rather than imagine everything and sort through responses, just go with whatever pops up first. It helped me break all those hearts when I was your age.” Henry shrugged.

“I might have to try that.” Jeremy said, “So what do you plan on doing in life?” He asked.

“Computer programming, emphasis on flash and java. You?”

“Game design.”

John walked alone at the head of the group quietly turning a broken piece of a Constructor over and over in his hands. He was lost in his thoughts about everything that had gone on since the misadventure began. He stopped turning the piece as he held it closer to examine it. He remembered modeling the Constructors after Lego technic sets his son would play with, he silently thought to himself until the names of Furno, Surge, and Tahu sprung to his head. Those were simpler days when all he had to do was check the floor for rogue pieces before traversing his house. Then he was called back to work at Gaia again on the zOMG project, and everything changed. He began to lose his time at home as he would work night and day to meet deadlines. The construction of 3D characters for a 3D environment pressed the modeling and rendering of his poor workstation to the limits, but then a day came when they could explore their newly shaped world.

“So we put these helmets on and we can be fully immersed in the world we’ve spent so long working on making?” John asked as he looked at the controller he’d been handed by Ryan.

“These new controller helmets look bigger than the prototypes they showed us.” Ryan commented as he examined the second helmet he pulled out of the packaging.

“They look more like something Daft Punk would wear than a game controller.” David remarked as he continued to scribble notes down. “But they’re supposedly the future of gaming so the boss wants us trying to make them work.” He continued scrawling his notes as Bret eyed him carefully.

“It probably helps that the company making these things wants to use zOMG as a demo game to prove the concept before approaching the big boys like Blizzard and EA.” Bret looked at the blinking lights on the helmet as he plugged the cable off its back into the USB port on his computer. He opened the manual that came with the helmets to determine what the blinking indicated.

“So what are you writing David?” John looked over at him, “Some sort of secret code you’ll embed to destroy gold and fame hungry players?”

David chuckled as he put down his pen, “I still think gold rewards were a bad idea, but seeing how things around Gaia are now, I don’t blame the players for using the game for that. No, I was thinking, in an immersive environment it would be possible to house a place to make server changes on the fly. Like if say, something needed to be adjusted while the server was running, this could be done in a server control room type place.” He looked at his notes before continuing, “Of course it could be structured so you’d only need a basic knowledge of how to run the server, in case the only person available to make changes had no clue how to code changes. And it’d have to be located somewhere players could never reach. Or I was thinking what if we created an artificial program with enough intelligence to gauge the goings on in the server and have it respond as necessary in the control room. A phantom developer if you will.”

If only he’d known that his phantom developer would not be happy being just that. John thought to himself. The original program that he later learned had existed since the original chapter one days was codenamed Phantom affected lag and other connection issues to coerce players and developers into making changes to their behavior or the server. David based his Phantom Developer program off of that, and he put those powers into one of the more curious life forms they came across in that world they created. David believed the beings that born of a connection glitch called the Anari were capable of being the guiding intelligence behind the Phantom Developer program. But the program corrupted the first and only Anari they installed its entirety to. As the Anari named Kirk began to go rogue he began to call himself The Phantom, and his first action was to seize the Server Control Room they had been tweaking the server from once all of chapter two’s code was added. Once he controlled that, his infection spread to the other servers running the chapter two tests. John was thinking about all those events as he quietly walked ahead of the others. They had been told part of that story, but they never knew the full story. He wondered how they would react if they did. He imagined each of their reactions if he told them everything: Mikey he could see as being unfazed and still dedicated to their mission. Jeremy he imagined leaving saying something about Gaia making their own mess and having to deal with the fallout now. Kerri would stay and help Mikey to the very end. Penelope would probably demand some greater form of compensation to stay, otherwise leave like Jeremy. Henry was the wildcard, his reaction would depend on whether or not he really did trust Mikey. As for himself, he knew it was Gaia’s mistake and he was on the staff to clean it up. Could they walk away if they wanted? Would The Phantom lift his restriction to logging off if it meant some of his would be foes were leaving? As John looked up from his thoughts he could see they were coming into the action figures section of the toy store. He put the Constructor piece he was turning over into his pocket as he called back to the others.

Even before they were close enough to make out the individual animated they could see there was already a battle raging at the far end of the section. The smoke and trails cast off by the attacks peppered their view. “Alright guys, looks like the meet location is little hot. Let’s clear it out.” Mikey called as he took off toward the fight. Action figures and construction toys were trying to fend off stuffed animals and electronics equipment. Mikey’s fist enlarged to a massive club before he bashed through a television type enemy that was shooting multicolored beams of light. Henry flexed as he cut through a gigantic stuffed panda that was hurling explosive cotton balls everywhere. Out of the corner of his eye Mikey saw Kerri and KJ back to back as they fended off a pair of speakers firing solidified sound waves.

“How do those sound attacks even form a solid visible form?” Jeremy yelled over to John as he flung around a group of small beanie stuffed animals. John was nearby singeing a pair of game controller helmets that were flailing their cables as barbed tentacles.

“Purely effect, no science behind that decision.” He shot back to Jeremy. A jet of flames from Penelope charred the poor teddy bear in front of her as it was turning to flee. In fact the remaining group of stuffed animals and electronics were fleeing deeper into the store.

“We’ve heard stories about your strength, but this is the first time we’ve witnessed it.” A mech warrior action figure said as the crew approached the entrenched location.

“Cut the small talk, you said you could help us.” Mikey said dryly.

“Ah yes, well, I may have exaggerated about that part.” The mech figure responded.

Before anyone could blink KJ had an energy dagger from her gauntlets across the figure’s throat. “So not only do you support our enemy, but you also pull us away from our rescue mission, cute. Give me one good reason I shouldn’t make you an example.”

“Kimberly, that is enough.” Mikey’s voice boomed. KJ shook her head as her appearance distorted for a second, “We don’t need to sink to The Phantom’s level and destroy those who have freely chosen their side.”

KJ stared back at him puzzled, she hadn’t released the mech yet, “Their kind slaughter those who would help us or otherwise scare them into inaction. Leaving them alive would be a sign that their behavior will not be tolerated.”

Mikey stared down a moment before locking eyes with KJ, his gaze was cold as ice as it pierced through her. She hesitated a moment before steeling herself again, “We can deal with him and his ilk later. For the time being we have a bigger foe and could use their help. Is that understood?” He stared at her unblinkingly as she shrugged and released the action figure.

“Understood.” She replied flatly before adding under her breath, “For now.” She grudgingly slunk back to stand behind Kerri as Mikey, John and the action figure conversed.

“You ever feel like they leave us out of the big decisions?” Jeremy asked as himself, Henry and Penelope watched the discussion that was going on. “Huh? Jeremy squinted as he thought he saw part of Mikey’s fist dissolve and reassemble. He blinked a few times before looking at Penelope and Henry, neither of whom acted as if they’d seen anything.

“It does get unnerving, but why not those determined to think of the plans make them? I don’t know, trusting Phantom supporters sounds like a recipe for trouble.” She shrugged her shoulders. Henry had closed his eyes as he stiffened in his stance.

“I don’t like it either. Too much that can go wrong. It’s like G.I. Joe asking Cobra for help to fend off aliens.” He said in a sighing tone. Kerri and KJ walked over to join Jeremy, Penelope and Henry as they stared at what was going on. Both Mikey and John looked like they were getting red in the face from having to repeat something over and over. Mikey had begun tapping his foot which the others had come to recognize was a sign of agitation when he was trying to explain something.

After a few moments John came over and huffed as he sat on the ground, “I swear some animated are as stubborn as n00bs.” John said as he leaned back on his arms. Penelope and Henry looked at each other before looking at John.

“Which definition of noob are you using? I mean there’s newb which is spelled new bee, those are new players willing to learn. Then there’s n00b with the zeros which as a player too stubborn to learn any better.” Penelope stared back at Mikey who was now flailing his arms explaining something to the action figures. After a few minutes he pointed at a target the action figure had indicated and the target was completely vaporized. The action figure jumped back and ran away before Mikey shook his head and came to the others.

“Well that was a headache for nothing. They’re too frightened to even try helping. So I guess we’re right back where we started.” He grimaced before sitting down. He rubbed his temples a few times before letting out a sigh and lying down. He crossed his arms over his chest as he stared at the fluorescent lights overhead trying to think of a plan of attack. “I don’t know if we have the manpower to assault the electronics section, rescue the council, and end Malevobear on our own. Any two of those, we could probably do, just all three.”

“Well the answer isn’t going to be found staring at lights while the clock keeps ticking is it?” Henry growled. Everyone looked at Henry, who merely shrugged his shoulders without an answer.

“I don’t see you coming up with any plans. Care to enlighten me on one you’re thinking of?” Mikey stared back angrily a few quiet seconds before adding, “No? Well then be patient and let the people who think, think.”

“Kimberly, John, what do you know about Malevobear? Anything could be relevant.” Jeremy asked. Mikey rolled over onto his stomach because of a twinge of pain he felt as KJ and John looked at each other before speaking.

“Well, when we first began work on chapter two, Malevobear was one of the first bosses we worked on coding and testing for. In fact, we intended Aekea and Peyo’s Fun House to be the first areas after Phazian Wastes that someone would check out in chapter two. We made Malevobear so a decently intelligent player could in fact solo him, just to get them into chapter two.” John said as he looked at Mikey. “Mike, you alright?”

“It’s nothing, please continue. Mikey gritted his teeth as he felt another pang. This time he felt the edges of his virtual presence distort from the effort it took to hold himself together. He could hear whispers in his head, but what they were saying or who they were he couldn’t quite tell.

“The Phantom never trusted Malevobear too much either. As such he has only the creatures of the toy store under his thrall, and as we’ve seen not all of them obey him. He’s got vicious, hardened, black steel claws grafted onto the arms of a once cuddly stuffed bear. He lost one of his glass eyes and it has since been replaced by a laser shooting, thermal vision cybernetic, and one of his legs is a peg leg. I never got to meet the guy much, but he seemed rather unintelligent.” KJ rattled off her information about Malevobear.

Mikey stood back up clutching his side where he was hurting but with a new look of determination in his eyes, “Since he’s dumb and able to be soloed it makes sense to only send one person to face him. Point me in the right direction and I’ll distract the bear while the rest of you free the council from the warehouse area in the back of the store.” He said as he eyed the rest of the team.

“Are you sure you’re up for that on your own?” Kerri asked worriedly as she swore she saw a part of Mikey’s ear distort.

“We have no idea what’s waiting between here and the warehouse section. And given some of what we’ve seen in the Underworld and the mines, it makes sense to assume once Malevobear is defeated a similar destabilization will occur here. We won’t have time to complete a rescue and escape with the place crumbling around us. John and Kimberly have both pointed out that Malevobear is soloable and unintelligent, I am the logical choice to square off against such a foe.” Mikey closed his eyes to focus on bringing himself back to cohesion.

“What makes you think that? I think I would be the likely choice given it would be a power and damage per time match.” Henry chimed.

“I think Mikey means the soloing aspect. Given his abilities and intelligence he has the versatility to adapt mid-fight to whatever Malevobear throws at him.” Penelope said to Henry. Mikey merely nodded as she stared at him questioningly.

“The route to the warehouse in the back we can take goes around the electronics section, so Mikey, you can have the entire section to fight in if you need it.” Jeremy was drawing lines on a map of the toy store he was showing. He detailed the route the others, led by John, would take to avoid attracting Malevobear’s and Wayne Pennyworth’s attentions. On a separate area he outlined the more direct path Mikey would take to ensure he arrived in time to draw off the boss and its master so the others could move unopposed to their destination. After five minutes of going back and forth deciding on the timing and any signals they could use to indicate various situations the crew moved ahead to the fork where they would part ways.

Jyuppi's Husbando

Tasty Leaf

13,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Barton Sweetheart

What the fluff? WHY oh WHY has this been moved???

BTW love this stuff as always Berry! sorry I don't comment much * goes back and lurks*

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Zealand_Aquarius

What the fluff? WHY oh WHY has this been moved???

BTW love this stuff as always Berry! sorry I don't comment much * goes back and lurks*

No worries, pmed the responsible mod about why and pulling quotes from the forum rules and guidelines to get this wayward child home.

If all else fails already been working on a leaner cleaner version of the topic.

Barton Sweetheart

Berryfarmer

No worries, pmed the responsible mod about why and pulling quotes from the forum rules and guidelines to get this wayward child home.

If all else fails already been working on a leaner cleaner version of the topic.

Good luck with that hope all goes well with it and that it does get sorted out.

Will read what ever you post as so far this has been really good 3nodding

Goosies Moosies's Husband

Grumpy Feesh

Okay, so a couple of days prior to this post, I moved this thread to the Fanfiction forum after receiving a report that the thread potentially didn't belong in the zOMG forum. After a look over the thread, I found that indeed was fan fiction.

However, after re-reviewing the thread, I am moving it back to the zOMG forum. While it is fan fiction and by the basic rules does fit in that forum, it has also been something that the community here has interacted with for quite some time. It has stayed on the topic of zOMG, and is most likely to be appreciated more here. So, while the rules can kind of tip either way in this case, I'm going to go with putting it back in the zOMG forum.

My apologies for the disruption.

~Gaidin
Gaia Online Moderator

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Gaidin
Okay, so a couple of days prior to this post, I moved this thread to the Fanfiction forum after receiving a report that the thread potentially didn't belong in the zOMG forum. After a look over the thread, I found that indeed was fan fiction.

However, after re-reviewing the thread, I am moving it back to the zOMG forum. While it is fan fiction and by the basic rules does fit in that forum, it has also been something that the community here has interacted with for quite some time. It has stayed on the topic of zOMG, and is most likely to be appreciated more here. So, while the rules can kind of tip either way in this case, I'm going to go with putting it back in the zOMG forum.

~Gaidin
Gaia Online Moderator

Would you mind too much if I quoted this in one of the first page posts in case we don't have you in the future?

And no need to apologize, as I understand the job of a moderator can be quite tasking at times, and I appreciate how quickly you were able to respond to things.

Goosies Moosies's Husband

Grumpy Feesh

Berryfarmer
Gaidin

~Gaidin
Gaia Online Moderator

Would you mind too much if I quoted this in one of the first page posts in case we don't have you in the future?

And no need to apologize, as I understand the job of a moderator can be quite tasking at times, and I appreciate how quickly you were able to respond to things.

Sure. Moderator related quotes are pretty much "public domain" anyway.

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Now that I've finally caught up with the story... I must say that things have become quite interesting, now that the Phantom supporters are beginning to question whose side is the winning one.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Part two of chapter 23:

Penelope and KJ both dropped back on the short march to speak with Mikey, “Mind telling me, why I just covered your a** back there?” She hissed as she walked beside him.

“It’s nothing. Just remember your assignment.” Mikey replied flatly. Penelope looked at him indignantly but didn’t press for an answer since his tone suggested she’d get none. He turned to KJ who walked on his other side, “Kimberly, if you see a gold flash where I am supposed to be, do not hesitate to find somewhere you can send that signal we talked about. I can’t shake the feeling it will be needed.” The crew exchanged a final round of going over the plan and ensuring buffs once they came to the fork and divided up. John couldn’t help but think back to the weeks they spent testing chapter two areas out with the traditional graphics and programming before converting them into the three dimensional representations used in the interfaces.

“David, why are we making the traditional environments before working in 3-D like we said we would?” Bret asked as he leaned back from his work station. He’d finished rendering artwork for shelving units to be found in a toy store John and Alex were working on. There were different colorations of the same base design for different areas of the store.

“Well, I kind of like old fashioned.” David replied, “And what if the glorious new CEO who approved this project decides later that Gaia Interactive doesn’t want to partner with the company making the controllers? They’d have to scrap all of chapter two, whereas if we do the traditional environments, animations, and coding now, if that breakup ever does happen it would just be a matter of flipping the control scheme on the server side from interface to zOMG classic. And boom, instead of redesigning from the ground up, we already have the things ready. Or alternatively we could have servers on which the different versions are offered to suit the player’s preference.” David smiled as he scribbled a doodle of a scorpion shaped tank on the white board in their office space and labeled it X’s Bitchin Ride.

“I still haven’t quite figured out how to solve the time discrepancy between the controllers and how time passes in the ‘Gaian world,’ so we may need to at some point scrap ever using the controllers.” Ryan chimed in from across the work space.

“How do you mean?” Frederic popped his head up.

“Well, these controllers sync up to the human brain and its perceptions. Gaian time passes at a rate of about 1 Gaian day to roughly 2 real world hours. When the person plugs in, the mind can’t handle the disparity between time in game and time actually passed. Like that story of a kid going to the North Pole and to him only a night has passed, but when he gets home to everyone else it’s been 20 years.” Ryan took a breath, “Except here it’s in reverse. With how these things work you’re only gone a few hours but it could feel like a few weeks. And the difficulty is syncing things so that disparity is reduced.”

“I figured we could just rework the Gaian day to be equal to a real world day.” Frederic replied, “Problem solved.”

“But the worlds we’re making are massive if we do that. Players won’t be able to get through instanced areas without forming weeklong crews. And who are we kidding when we ask them to do that just to enjoy some aspects?” Garret rolled his chair back to add his opinion.

“We’ve got a few years yet to figure out a solution then.” Frederic replied as he hunched back down to work on his coding. He was animating a zombie enemy John had sent him models of and making sure some of the already completed animations wouldn’t crash the environment.

“Guys I don’t think a man sized teddy bear is threatening enough for a toy store boss. We need some way to make it more menacing.” John was drawing concept art for more enemies to put in the game and had drawn a regular teddy bear. He stared at the paper expecting some idea to leap into his mind as the lines of the bear’s face stared back up at him.

“Maybe you should make it look like Martial.” Tabitha responded as she worked on a few NPC’s for the sky city area they were designing.

“I don’t think Narumi would appreciate his immortalization in the game as something you beat up to progress.” David answered politely. Even he was having trouble muffling his chuckle at the joke.

“Given he’s always been opposed to zOMG, I don’t see why we shouldn’t take a jab at him.” Bret responded.

“Because we don’t want him killing the project before it gets off the ground.” David shot back with a grin.

“I see your point. Perhaps some metal claws and a cyborg eye then?” Came Bret’s response.

“I think that could work.” John said as he traced rough outlines for metallic claws over the padded limbs.

Mikey moved through the music section of electronics silently to not attract some of the patrols that moved past him. He was rethinking his decision to take on Malevobear on his own and was beginning to wish he’d brought Penelope or Henry with him as he counted the animated that passed him without a second glance. Thoughts of if he would be enough of a distraction by himself, while the others undertook the rescue began sifting through his thoughts as doubts and worries about his abilities and how the instabilities he passed through in Aekea might have affected them. He began to worry about the possibility of Wayne Pennyworth and how he would involve himself in the fight if things looked to be in Mikey’s favor began to race as Mikey sat down behind a rack of CDs from the paralysis the thoughts caused. He bowed his head as he thought about each way Pennyworth could get involved before creating defensive counter-strategies in his head. Only one action remained unresolved before Mikey was able to move again; what if Pennyworth fled from him? What if Malevobear was meant to be a distraction while the bulk of Pennyworth’s force guarded his prize? Mikey peeked over the rack to the next aisle before ducking down again. He shifted to a defensive crouch because he saw something that hadn’t been there before. A lone figure stood in the next aisle, shrouded in a grey-brown tattered robe, its back was to him as Mikey looked around for an alternate route to avoid attracting the figure’s attention, but there was no alternate to be found as Mikey waited for several minutes.

It felt like hours that he’d been there motionless, watching, and waiting for the figure to leave. He knew it’d only been mere minutes, but with the thoughts of his mission beginning to shift from battle plans to the possibility of failure or worse, the wait became torturous. At last the robed figure shifted, it looked to be shrugging its shoulders as it began speaking in a low rattling voice, “I know you are there Mr. Berth. I do not intend to harm you.” The tone with which it spoke had a mechanical quality to it as it rattled.

Mikey carefully stood up and approached the figure, he was careful to keep his rings pointed at it in case it was lying about the no harm. To his surprise though its back remained to him, “Who are you? And more importantly, what do you want?” Mikey asked as he took a defensive stance. Different thoughts and possibilities raced through his mind as he stared. The sound that greeted his ears, though, was unsettling. It was like stones on a metal roof, like the figure was laughing to itself about something.

“I had almost forgotten how paranoid you used to be of strangers: always questioning their motives before listening. It has been, what you believe, has allowed you to survive so long. At least in your opinion.” The robe billowed as if caught in a breeze, one that did not exist, and Mikey’s face contorted as the words unsettled him. They were a dagger that definitely found a hole in the armor.

“You haven’t answered either of my questions.” Mikey tried to hide it, but hints of agitation were in his tone.

The figure’s head turned in Mikey’s direction before it chuckled again. The stone on metal stone was a bit maddening as it spoke again, “I have seen your future Michael,” It paused as if collecting a thought, “And I wish to change it.” It paused again in thought before turning to face Mikey. Through the holes and tears in the robe he could see worn and roughed green-grey armor pieces. Mikey looked the figure up and down trying to remember where he had seen that kind of armor design before, it felt so familiar somehow. But his gaze was drawn upward to the blackness that was under the hood. The only visible features in it were a pair of glowing amber colored points of light. Mikey assumed they were the eyes of whatever he was talking to because they were locked on him and his gaze. The shadows beneath those lights rippled as the figure spoke again, “You wade into a battle you do not believe you can win. Against a program who has developed hatred for humanity.” The voice breathed.

“Do you mean The Phantom or Wayne Pennyworth?” Mikey shot back. He didn’t like the familiarity the figure was treating him with.

“Either, both, neither.” Came the labored response. “Malevobear and its master Pennyworth today, The Phantom in days. You can overcome the bear alone. That much you have pieced together from what John and K-” There was a pause as the figure’s tone took on a hint of sadness as it said KJ’s name, as if remembering something painful and distant, “Kimberly’s information.”

“I know I can handle the bear.” came Mikey’s indignant response, “It’s if Pennyworth decides to fight that I worry about.”

The figure turned away from Mikey and bowed its head in thought, “You have the strength to outlast Wayne Pennyworth’s most devious attack.” It seemed to be thinking about something before adding, “Just remember, sometimes your sword can become your shield, and your shield become your sword.”

Mikey stared curiously at the figure before him as he asked again, “Who are you?”

“Just someone concerned for your future Michael Johnathan Crier-Berth Jr. If you succeed we may yet meet again. Oh and remember, you shall be a beacon when all other lights go out.” Mikey took a few steps towards the figure but stopped when there was a blinding flash of golden light.

After a few seconds his eyes readjusted from the blindness of the flash and Mikey realized looking around, that he was alone once again. “Was whatever that thing was actually here?” He whispered to himself before adding in his thoughts, “Or is my brain just that far gone that I’m hallucinating now?” He waited a few seconds longer to ensure he was alone as his eyes continued to readjust to the dull fluorescent glow of the lights overhead. He continued his solitary march for the games section of electronics, where he knew Malevobear waited. He hoped the others would succeed in their rescue mission while he ran distraction.

John and the others had hit a roadblock in the form of some stubbornly dug in electronic animated. Their fierce and fanatical resistance was preventing any form of progress while John and his group tried to weave around the cover of the shelves. “My left arm for any kind of makeshift EMP device.” Jeremy said as his whirlwind swept a few of the smaller ones up into a vicious vortex.

“At least they aren’t waterproof.” Henry remarked as a group of them sparked and collapsed from the crash of his tidal wave against them.

“I’m glad they aren’t heatproof either.” Penelope added as a jet of flames licked around the animated’s’ barricades.

Kerri was backing away from a group that had emerged to chase her as a lump of purple-black slime slammed into the leader of the group and exploded over all of the animated in the group. Soon they were coated in a thick, billowing, inky shadow. Unable to see clearly, some of the animated began to attack each other, “And here I thought they were smarter than that.” Kerri said as a few of the pieces of the animated snapped apart.

“Apparently not.” John said as mounds of soil rose through the floor and slammed into the remaining shadow coated foes. He turned to look at Jeremy who had poked his out from where he’d been hiding, “I think it’s time we tried that combo attack we’ve been working on.”

Jeremy returned John’s look with a wicked smile as he began forming a twister. John directed a mound of earth right into the path it the tornado was taking and the powerful winds swept it up into a dust devil. “Penelope!” Jeremy pointed at the cyclone as it began sucking up several of the remaining animated.

Penelope stared in awe a few seconds before realizing Jeremy wanted her to engulf the twister in flames. “Got it!” She said as she directed a jet of flames into the animated swallowing vortex. As she guessed from Jeremy’s smirk it was getting the desired result as the soil and sands in the tornado melted and crystalized.

“Henry, now! Cool it fast!” Jeremy pointed at the shimmering silver tornado. Henry nodded as he created a spout of water to quench the flames. The tornado steamed and glowed as the heated materials within rapidly cooled into an unpolished cylinder. As the steam cleared a pillar of rough glass was standing where the tornado had been, the still trapped animated within could be seen through the murky glass.

“Now that was awesome.” Kerri said as she tapped the pillar, “But no time to admire that now,” she pointed as they took off to chase the animated fleeing to the storeroom.

“I see you are still alone, human.” Wayne Pennyworth’s voice echoed through the empty shelves as Mikey walked through the rows that were still marked for having movies and electronic equipment on them, “Do you not value your life, or are you insane?”

“I value all life, for all life is precious. But you are not the first to call me crazy, nor will you be the last.” Mikey replied as the fluorescent lights overhead flickered. The ground trembled as something large approached. Mikey stood his ground as he stared at the beast that came into view before him.

“Then allow me to introduce you to my loyal and upgraded Malevobear!” The voice was coming from somewhere behind the black and white terror. The flickering lights overhead began to strobe as the pale whiteness glittered off of the obsidian metal claws grafted onto the 18 foot tall stuffed bear’s arms. Malevobear let out a roar as barbed stitches caught his separating jaws to keep them from opening too wide. Mikey’s eyes narrowed as the very sight of this nightmare caused him to remember the stuffed bear he used to sleep with. He was almost paralyzed by his fear as it began to raise one of the massive arms.

Mikey managed to jump back as one of the metal claws was launched off of the arm at him. The metal dug into the ground where mere seconds before Mikey had been standing, a crimson chain kept the flung metal anchored to the bear and went taught as it began to retract the vicious steel appendage. Left in the ground as the claw flew back, and reattached to Malevobear’s arm, were three perfect circular holes and a few cracks around them. Mikey shook his head as he steeled himself for the battle, “Awe you missed Yogi. Where’s BooBoo I’m sure he’d enjoy this.” Mikey sneered and the bear let out another roar as its right eye glittered red. Mikey felt the burning in his arm from where the laser fired from the ruby colored eye struck as the sleeve covering smoked and burned. He let out a yelp of pain as he pressed his hand to it to begin using the effects of a Bandage Ring. He gritted his teeth in pain as he began to summon the effects of another ring, the Maelstrom Ring, “Alright, my turn.”

A dark cloud formed above the bear and lightning bolts and blowing snow began to rain down on Malevobear from it. After a few seconds of the storm the ring’s effects ended with a small twister throwing Malevobear back a few feet, crusted over in a layer of ice. Mikey stared a few seconds of staring at the pale blue ice before seeing a red glow from under the coat. There was another deafening roar as Malevobear threw chunks of ice off of itself, “You were foolish to come alone. Once my masterpiece has finished with you he will enjoy destroying your friends.” Wayne jested from somewhere behind Malevobear.

“I’ll rip the very fabric of this world apart before that thing lays a finger on them!” Mikey shouted as he felt himself distort a few seconds before returning to normal. Another wave of rage washed over him as he fired a charged projectile version of his lancer. He dove for cover behind a shelf as the golden orb of energy struck the bear and let off a bright flash of blinding light as it exploded. He brushed his fingers under his nose only to feel the all too familiar warm wetness of his blood. He tried to calm himself down as he heard Malevobear shuffle blindly on the other side of the shelf.

“Curious, where does such rage come from?” He could Wayne musing to himself more than asking, “Did I touch a nerve, or are you more unstable than you thought?” Mikey took a few deep breaths as he readied his next attack. The mention of his instability caused him to hesitate as Malevobear’s ground trembling footsteps approached. It was only a low growl from the creature that snapped Mikey back to his senses as he used the powers of the Foggy Shroud Ring. He felt himself ripple and distort again as the entire section became embanked with a thick soupy fog. All Mikey could see of Malevobear was the glowing ruby eye as he hoped the fog would be enough to mask him for a few minutes. In the silence Mikey heard a clicking sound coming from the direction of Malevobear before the whoosh of one of the claws passing nearby. There was a kerthunk as it sunk into the ground a few feet from Mikey. He could hear the beast’s angered roar as the chain began to tighten and retract the claw.

“That’s the door we need, just ahead.” John said as he sent a wave of earth to shake up the animated clustered in front of the double doors.

The animated let out a high pitched buzzing sound as they shook and Henry saw something glitter in the light, “Down!” He yelled as he saw a swarm of blender animated launch their spinning blades. The gleaming metal whizzed overhead as Henry threw himself to the ground. The animated dug in around the door were doing everything they could to prevent any form of advancement. A few more metal blades whizzed by forcing Kerri and Jeremy to throw themselves to the ground as John and KJ huddled behind a display of plushy fluffs.

“Enough of this!” Penelope stood her ground as a metal blade grazed her cheek, leaving a thin red line where it cut her. Her eyes glistened with rage as she began to glow with a bright red aura. She began launching fireball after fireball at the animated as she directed her anger into her rings. She turned to face Jeremy and then Henry, “I got this. You guys circle around and attack them from the sides.” Kerri stayed back to keep Penelope healed as the animated began directing all of their attacks at her. Jeremy and KJ began to circle to the left of Penelope as they approached the animated, while Henry and John went to the right.

KJ threw up a white spark as her and Jeremy settled down and took aim at the nearest group of animated. She stared across to the other side of the animated lines and saw a blue spark fly into the air, indicating Henry and John were in position. Fireballs continued exploding on several of the barricades the animated had erected in front of the doors and showering them with small embers. “We have to hurry Jeremy. Penelope is coming out of the Ghi Burst.” Jeremy nodded as he loosed a green beam of energy on the nearest animated. Beams of white, green, blue, brown, purple, and some red sprinkled with fire danced across the animated lines as uninfused lancer fire pelted them from all directions. Only the largest of the washer and dryer animated were left standing in the dusty haze kicked up. But as six attackers closed in on them the concentrated fire became too much as they too collapsed on the line. After a few seconds of making sure each animated was dead a silent nod was exchanged as they walked the last few yards of the animated corpse riddled aisle to the doors to the storeroom. Penelope looked exhausted as Kerri helped support her.

“I hope Mikey’s having an easier time.” She said as Henry and John kicked open the doors.

“It’s no use hiding, human. Malevobear will find you eventually.” Mikey heard Wayne’s voice echo in the fog. Mikey kept the ruby glow of Malevobear’s eye in view to track the monster’s position as he darted in and out of the deeper portions of the fog.

He could feel the warmness and smell the putrid breath as he hid almost underneath Malevobear. Mikey held perfectly still as the bear sighed and the heavy footfalls moved elsewhere. I need to disable his claws somehow. Mikey thought as he heard the clang of the metal claws piercing stone nearby. That’s when he saw the faint glow of the crimson chain keeping it attached to the body. If I can cut that while the chain is extended… It would remove the claw. Mikey looked around nervously as he lost sight of the crimson eye. He heard the clinking sound of the claw getting ready to fire, it was close, but he could not see which direction in the haze. Mikey sighed as he loosened his stance and slowly turned his head to scan the area. He saw a faint glimmer out the corner of his eye and was barely able to jump back before the metallic claw embedded itself in the ground where mere seconds before he had stood.

A gust of air blew through the area and carried off the fog as Malevobear bellowed. “I told you, human, hiding would be useless.” Mikey sidestepped another laser shot from the ruby eye and ran up to the claw as the chain began to go taught. He hacked at it a few times with the only response being a shower of sparks from each impact of the blade against the chain. He had to duck as the claw sailed out of the ground and back to Malevobear’s waiting arm.

“Okay, starting to wish I’d brought Penelope at least.” He muttered to himself as the metal claw just grazed his thigh. He reached down to rub the area and pulled his hand back to his face to see the familiar red and glistening color of his blood across his fingers and palm. He pressed his hand back against the gash and winced as it began glowing green from the effects of the Bandage Ring. Mikey backed away slowly trying to get the monstrous bear to follow him into the modeling toy section as he felt the wound beginning to close. The ground trembled with each of Malevobear’s lumbering steps but he was following Mikey. “You guys better be in the storeroom by now.” He muttered as he tensed up and threw a golden orb of light high into the air.

Henry cut the iron shackle as it turned red hot from Penelope’s flames. “Just three more to go.” He said to her as John and KJ worked on their side of the room.

“Where is Michael?” McCoy rubbed his wrists as he frantically asked John. There was a worried look in his eyes as he looked around for anyone to answer.

“It’s alright. He’s running a distraction for us.” John replied as he and KJ pried Hoshi from her iron shackles.

“No, you don’t understand. He’s the one Wayne and The Phantom both want.” McCoy responded before adding, “Alive.”

“What? Why?” KJ asked as she looked into the worried Anari’s face. He was starting to scare her, why was everyone so interested in Mikey all of a sudden?

“It’s something they think is in his brain. Something his simulated one copied from the physical one. A way to stabilize the digital into the physical.” Hoshi gasped as she collapsed on the ground. McCoy and Miles helped her to stand as John stared back.

“You aren’t making any sense. What do you mean stabilize the digital into the physical?” He began going over everything he knew about Mikey’s condition before his mouth opened in shock. “Something tied to his special abilities?”

“In order for The Phantom or anything from this world to create a form in your world it would take an incredible amount of energy, and even then it would be unstable at best. Michael has experienced odd distortions since he came back from Earth yes?” McCoy looked back sternly at John.

“He’s been trying to hide them, but yes he has been.” KJ was starting to form an idea, “When The Phantom returned he immediately retreated and looked like he was falling apart, Mikey has held himself together. You mean that it’s something in his brain and how it forms the image of himself that kept him from falling apart? And Wayne and The Phantom both need that to stabilize themselves in the human world?” KJ nervously ran her hands threw her hair as she turned back and forth a few times.

“Precisely. Neither of them would last very long in the human world as they are now, but dissecting Michael and finding out what in him has allowed him to remain somewhat stable despite transitioning between both worlds in his digital form. They could find what they need, incorporate it into themselves and their forces and be that much more dangerous.” McCoy looked sternly at John.

“Dumb it down any? I didn’t quite follow all the science talk.” John looked at KJ who let out a very worried sigh.

“The Phantom and anyone or anything else seeking to enter your world from this one would fall apart after a set time of exposure without being repaired. Mikey, somehow doesn’t need the repair to remain in one piece. Realizing this, both Wayne and The Phantom want Mikey alive so they can figure out just what it is in him that allowed him to do that and how, and if they can replicate it for themselves and their armies. If so then it makes them even more dangerous than they already were if they can enter your world.” KJ fell to her knees.

“And we just sent him to fight Malevobear and possibly Wayne Pennyworth alone, while Wayne wants him captured. We have to get back to him.” John said.

“He just threw up his distress signal.” Kerri said as she ran over to them from the door.

“McCoy, can you and the other Anari lead the others out of here?” John looked at the Anari, who looked like they could barely stand after their time in captivity much less run.

“If I knew which way to go.” McCoy replied.

“I’ll lead them. Mikey asked me to enact one of his contingency plans in case things went bad, and I need to be outside to enact it.” KJ stood back up. “Jeremy, tablet now.” She barked.

“Are you sure?” John looked into KJ’s eyes and saw his own determined stare reflected back.

“Just get the five of you to Mikey, leave the rest of the rescue to me and the Anari.” She gave a thumbs up as she began leading the group of freed animated and humans and Anari down an aisle.

John looked at Kerri, Penelope, Henry and Jeremy before saying, “We need to get to Mikey, asap.” He turned to lead them down an aisle that lead straight to the section they had sent Mikey to.

Sweet Glitch

whee
This is getting more and more interesting...
Sorry the lurking, Berry.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Next part of the chapter. Thanks everyone for being patient.

Mikey pressed his hand to another gash that had formed across his chest from repelling Malevobear’s last claw shot. The narrow aisle had given him less room to maneuver around in while the monster took shots at him. But rather than attack the bear Mikey directed his attacks on the shelves running down the aisle with all sorts of still intact models; models of trains, cars, planes, spaceships, things with wings and wheels all lined the shelves of the aisle as Mikey’s attacks loosened several of the shelves. “Only going to get one shot at this.” He muttered as he stopped in front of a display case showing off several of the models available in the “Vintage Series.” He watched Malevobear for the windup action he did just before launching either of his massive claws. As he saw Malevobear draw back his claw he began counting to himself, “One,” He heard the clicking sound indicating the chain was locked, “Two,” He saw the massive arm do one circle before coming to a stop, “Three,” He saw the arm pointed right at him before activating the effects of the Turtle Ring. He saw the pale green shielding shimmer as the claw launched towards him. He waited as he watched it coming straight at his chest and let out a breath as it struck the turtle shield and threw him back into the display case. He heard and felt the cracking of glass as the case gave way to the force of his impact. Mikey snatched up two of the models in either hand and charged them with an imitation of the exploding animated from the front door’s attack as he slung them at the already weakened shelves. Malevobear laughed as the models exploded on the shelves on either side of him. Mikey stared a few seconds before the shelves broke and spilled their models onto the floor of the aisle between Mikey and Malevobear. He smirked as he took off at a run away from the hulking bear. The bear laughed again as it rushed forward to chase Mikey, but as it stepped on a few of the models the wheels of the models caused them to slip and slide under the beast’s weight. After a few paces Malevobear tripped over on the models and landed flat on its face. Both claws launched off of its arms from the impact and were stuck in shelves nearby.

Mikey concentrated on flames and fire as he tried to imitate Penelope’s amulet, but when nothing happened he shifted focus to Hot Foot and targeted the chain latched onto the nearest claw. The chain changed from the crimson color to a bright orange-red color as Mikey poured more of his energy into his hot foot imitation. Malevobear was beginning to stir and move again when Mikey ran at the claw and hacked at the glowing section of chain. As he sliced through it he heard the clang of the chain going slack and banging against the claw and as he gazed at Malevobear he could see he was successful in detaching the giant’s right claw. He backed away as the behemoth rose, but it was still held stuck by the left claw stuck in the shelves. It tried swinging at Mikey a few times with its bare right arm, but was ineffective with Mikey standing away from its reach. There was another bellow of rage as Malevobear began shooting wildly with its ruby eye. Avoiding all the random shots forced Mikey to take cover around the corner as he heard the bear struggling to free its stuck claw. As he took a few breaths he could feel the fog that came over his mind whenever he used his mimicry in rapid succession. “Not yet, just a little more. Then we can rest.” He whispered to himself as he moved from cover to target the other chain. Dodging the random laser shots made the task of focusing on heating the chain more difficult and take longer but as the glowing began to shift from dull orange to red hot Mikey leapt to hack it apart. “Wait if I cut the chain, what’s holding him down?” Mikey realized as his blade cut the chain like butter.

The bear now freed from its bindings reared up to its full height as it let out a roar. Mikey could see the crusted liquids and stitches zigzagging its arms as the limbs that were under the claws stretched out. A string of drool flew from the creature’s mouth and stuck to Mikey’s shoulder as he stared. The ruby eye began to glow brightly before exploding in a shower of red sparks. As Mikey looked at it, he saw a purple arrow embedded in the eye. He found himself mouthing a name as he heard a familiar call, “Hey tough guy over here!” Mikey clutched his sore sides as he saw the others coming. They saw his signal.

Mikey backed away from Malevobear as another of Kerri’s arrows lodged in its head. He saw Henry and Jeremy already rushing forward to assault the bear, but John and Penelope were nowhere to be seen. His vision was beginning to spin from his exhaustion as he felt something touch his shoulders. He jumped and nearly fired an attack from shock as he turned. “Whoa, easy.” Penelope threw her hands up as John took a step back.

“You guys have the best timing.” Mikey said as he relaxed a bit. Penelope and John were looking over his injuries as he rippled with static.

“It’s getting harder to hold yourself together?” John asked worriedly. He watched as Mikey distorted and changed colors a few times before returning to normal.

“Not harder per say, but every time my emotions spike my powers go out of control or I distort. I’m not keen on learning where that leads.” Mikey replied as he took a few deep breaths to steady himself. The attention John and Penelope were giving him had erased most of his signs of injury except for the blood caked and crusted on his face and hands.

“Can we save the happy reunion for after killing this thing?” Henry groaned as he stabbed into the arm Malevobear was reaching for him with.

The bear’s face was beginning to resemble a practice target with all the arrows Kerri was shooting. Her aim never faltered even as she walked up to join Jeremy and Henry, “So how do we finally take this guy out once and for all?”

Jeremy eyed the two metal claws that stood impaled in the ground and a shelf and the shattered ruby eye, “We’ve disabled its major methods of attack, so I think the plan is just beat it down with as much damage as we can.”

KJ blasted down an action figure that tried attacking the group she was leading. The door was straight ahead and she could see the slivers of light from the cracks in it. She tilted her head to get a better look at the action figure she had just shot before realizing it was one of the ones from the group she had encountered earlier with Mikey and John. An evil smirk crawled across her face as the glowing daggers of energy burst from her wrists. “You guys just gave me a reason.” She turned to Hoshi and McCoy who were right behind her, “Keep everyone moving forward, I’ll take care of the animated assaulting us. I’ll rejoin you at the doors.” She barked to McCoy.

“Are you certain you won’t need help?” The other Anari caught up as he spoke and stood in a semi-circle around KJ.

She looked each of them over trying to see if any of them might hold up in prolonged battle. But each of them seemed worn down and drain from their captivity, only one of them looked to have any fighting strength left in them, “Alright, Sisko with me. The rest of you make sure they get to the door safely.” Sisko nodded his head slightly before hovering beside KJ. The other Anari nodded as they went to different parts of the moving column of humans, friendly animated, NPCs and other assembled individuals.

“I’m only helping because McCoy and the humans trust you. Were it my choice you’d be just as guilty as the one who made you, and just as punishable.” He raised his staff as three action figure animated approached.

“Pleasure working with you too Metal Head.” KJ shot back as she charged at the nearest animated. She pushed both the daggers into the animated’s neck before swinging both her arms to her side, decapitating the head with the motion. The animated action figure however was more stubborn and continued to flail its arms to attack her despite its lack of head. She spun on her heal and delivered a devastating kick to the action figure’s chest that sent it crashing into one of the other two coming.

As she looked to her side she saw Sisko smiling as he caught one of the figures by the foot with his staff and flipped it over his head before ramming his staff through the figure’s torso. He gave a snort as he looked back to her, “There may yet be some redemption for you.”

“Score’s two to one shorty. You better pick up the pace in the next group.” She commented back as five action figure animated began their approach.

Sisko planted his staff in the ground and glowed dark blue for a second before metal spikes rose from the ground beneath the animated and impaled them. “You were saying?” He smirked.

“Okay then, since we’re not holding back anything now.” She looked at the oncoming group of seven before targeting one. Her fingers turned a crimson color as she blew a kiss at one of the action figures. A pink flower petal drifted from her lips until it struck the action figure’s cheek, whereupon the entire figure turned the same shade of crimson KJ’s fingers had been. The figure turned and began to attack its fellow animated as KJ fired energy beams at another pair. After damaging other action figure animated the one KJ had charmed exploded and destroyed the group that had surrounded it. After several waves of slashing, charming, disintegrating, spiking and stabbing the action figure animated KJ and Sisko stood side by side, exhausted and panting amongst the scraps and bits of the animated action figures.

“Not bad young lady.” Sisko said between breaths.

“Not bad yourself old mask.” KJ panted back. They could see ahead of them the front doors flung open and McCoy and Deanna motioning everyone through the door as Miles and Archer stood outside pointing them to road back down to Aekea. KJ pulled out the tablet and began entering the information needed to send a transmission. She waited at the doors until everyone was safely out and it was just herself, McCoy, Deanna, and Sisko.

“What is your plan now?” Deanna looked back at KJ.

“The Aekeans should have been able to move up and secure the road by now. Make sure that everyone here gets to Aurum and the other Aekean defenses safely. I’ll stay here and help the humans as best I can.” She gritted her teeth as she felt the effects of a healing ring on one of her cuts.

“Are you certain you can handle it on your own?” Miles hovered overhead, he had floated back after making sure the group was moving down the road.

“I’ll be fine, now go. Please.” The Anari gave her another nod before they each took to the sky and floated off. KJ looked over the tablet and saw that it finally found a signal. She looked over the coordinates she’d been told to use before reluctantly hitting the button to transmit the message. The wait to know if anything happened began to gnaw at her as the seconds dragged on. But then the display on the tablet changed from the black of a command prompt to the static of a video channel that wasn’t tuned yet.

As it cleared up she saw the white mask with a blue and red eye staring back, “Well now, that is a fascinating message you’ve sent me. My general has gone rogue and you want my help to put down his new master. How perplexing you would ask me, given who you’ve aligned yourself with.”

“This request didn’t come from me Phantom and you know it.” She replied.

“Ah yes, Michael. But why would he believe he cannot handle a renegade program when he’s so certain he can deal with me?” The Phantom’s voice was a tone of smugness.

“Given the rogue program was in your employ before deciding he could do better himself, maybe Michael though you’d like to be the one to put him down. Either way, are you going to help or not?” She indignantly shot back.

“I really see no reason why I should.” Came the response.

“Aww I can think of a few good ones. How about, making an example of those that defy you? Or having all your enemies in one place? Or what about ensuring your plan to use the humans to find the Time Axis can come to fruition?” She coyly smirked. She could tell The Phantom’s face contorted at the bit about the Time Axis, “Maybe if you’d better protected your secret evil plans I wouldn’t know what your real plan is. But hey given everything I now know and possess even if the humans perish here I can still complete your plan to rule and theirs to destroy you, and be the ruler of everything myself.” KJ began to yawn and fan herself unenthusiastically as she watched The Phantom contemplate his next move.

“You dare mock me!” He was very agitated.

“I’m doing a lot more than daring.” She winked at the screen before adding, “Oh well, guess the big bad phantom is too scared to put a bunch of programs and humans back in their places.” There was a loud pop nearby as part of the air shimmered. Out from the rippling and shimmering part of the environment stepped The Phantom.

“You and the humans are lucky that I will only be dealing with Wayne Pennyworth today. After tonight he will be the Deadman once again.” The Phantom strode into the toy store. His black cape was billowing behind him as KJ rolled her eyes and followed after him.

“I don’t get it, no matter how much we damage it, it just keeps getting up. There’s no possible way it has that many hit points.” Henry slashed open part of Malevobear’s arm as he backed away.

Kerri fired another arrow at the beast and it dug into the creature’s neck as it turned to face her rather than Henry. “John didn’t you say this guy had a poison breath attack?”

“Yes, why?” John replied as he shot Malevobear with a burst of orange colored energy.

“Why is he wasting time with trying to swat us with arms we can deflect or damage easily then?”

“Move!” Jeremy pushed Kerri to the ground as one of the bear’s arms swung overhead.

“His mouth is stitched almost entirely shut. And the job looks painful and crude. Maybe he can’t use it while he’s muzzled like that.” Penelope slashed at part of the leg nearest to her.

Mikey stood paralyzed a moment as he felt some kind of disturbance nearby. His thoughts jumbled up and the voices he was hearing were almost discernible, but they quickly faded back to the dull cacophony. He began thinking about the fight that he had had with Malevobear before the others had come to his rescue. “His weak spot isn’t somewhere we can reach.” He finally said as the others turned to look at him. “The Deadman said he modified Malevobear. And now he can’t use a breath attack because his mouth won’t open enough. His weak spot is inside. We can chop away stuffing all day but whatever is inside him will just keep producing more stuffing for us to chop up. We need to destroy him from the inside out.”

“How do you plan on doing that? We’re too big to be swallowed in one gulp. And our attacks can’t make a big enough hole to pierce far enough in.” Jeremy retorted.

“We get him to open up and say ‘ahh’ like a doctor.” Mikey replied. “Henry and Penelope keep his arms wrangled, Jeremy and John you guys get his legs. Kerri, I need you to climb him and make him open that mouth by any means you can.” As Mikey finished his barking Jeremy and John used a well-placed mound and twister to trip Malevobear and knock him to the ground. Henry and Penelope nodded as each of them ran a blade through his arms to pin him down. And Kerri ran up onto his neck and began peppering his head with arrows. Mikey watched and waited as he focused on explosive attacks or rings there were before settling on a repeat of the exploding animated figures. The bear’s maw began to open as it howled in pain from blades and arrows puncturing it. Mikey tried to fire an explosive block, but instead only a potato appeared in his hand. “Bad time for this, need an explosive, not the non-elitist potato.” He worried as he gripped the potato in his hand, then it began blinking red and pulsating. He quickly threw it into the open maw, and as he tried to summon more explosive attacks, only more potatoes erupted into existence in the bear’s mouth. With a mighty heave Malevobear freed itself from Henry and Penelope’s blades and it bucked Kerri from his back as he began to take a few steps toward Mikey. There was a rumbling sound and several booms as the potatoes Malevobear ingested began exploding. The bear’s next step was unsteady as it collapsed forward on top of Mikey. The potatoes had blown a hole clear through the beast’s torso. Mikey collapsed under several pounds as his leg cracked. He let out a painful scream as he felt the broken bone jutting out but pinned by the massive dead weight.

Mikey stared up at the lights, his vision spinning from the pain in his leg. He was having troubles remaining conscious as he felt the bone shift every time they pressed against the mass that was Malevobear. Each shift of the bone came with a scraping and cracking sound as Mikey fought back the urge to scream each time. If it weren’t for the pressure the weight pressing upon him offered, he had no doubt the bleeding alone would have caused him to pass out. “Stay with us.” Mikey looked around in the haze as he heard Kerri’s voice. He felt a sharp pain as he was able to breathe. “Jeremy reset the bone before using any heals.” He heard her voice echoing from the haze, it sounded very distant as another pain went through his leg. He could feel someone pushing it. He glanced up at the lights overhead and the only distinctive things he could see was a pair of glowing amber lights. But as he tried to focus they vanished.

“Got it, go.” Jeremy rubbed his hands on his pants to get some of Mikey’s blood off before Henry and Kerri began use their healing rings. Mikey let out a cry of agony as the sting of bone healing rapidly caused him to cringe and curl up.

After a few minutes John knelt down next to Mikey, “Can you stand? We’re about to have company.” Mikey nodded as he slowly wobbled to his feet, he shifted like he was still sore but looked around as a slow applause began to echo through the store.

“Good, good, you humans are as I expected an intelligent and resourceful bunch.” Wayne Pennyworth stood back where Mikey had originally begun fighting Malevobear, “I expected nothing less. It is a shame that you had to be involved in a fight that does not concern you.”

“I’ll show you!” Henry fired a jet of water at the white bearded man.

Wayne simply smiled as he held out his hand, a purple energy shield seemed to glow around him as he absorbed Henry’s attack into a small blue orb hovering over his hand, “A water infused lancer attack. I’d estimate your Ghi mutation to lightning is around 80% complete.” Wayne looked at the globe in his hand before he crushed it. “I have long researched and mastered the Ghi of this world. It would be foolish for you to try and attack me with it.” Wayne chuckled as he held his arms open. “I know each of you would like to take your best shots. So take your turns.” Penelope threw a fireball at Wayne who caught it in a similar fashion to Henry’s water jet, “Fire infused lancer charged shot, Ghi mutation of stone about 86% complete.” He yawned as he caught a twister from Jeremy and picked up a soil tremor from John, “Air infused charged lancer shot, Ghi mutation of Jungle at 79% completion. And Earth infused lancer attack, Ghi mutation of metal at 87% completion.”

“Oh shut up already.” Kerri lobbed a purple-black sphere at Wayne only for a similar result of him catching it.

“Shadow infused charged lancer shot and… interesting Ghi mutation of ice at 93% completion.” He laughed as each of his glowing orbs floated around his hand. Mikey flung a small ball of golden light at Wayne, and as he tried catching it he was pushed back several feet as Mikey let out a snort. “Now, that is truly fascinating. Your power is much more developed. Light infused lancer shot, with a Ghi mutation of… remarkable indeed, souls at a 99% completion. No wonder you’ve been able to tap into a level of power they can’t.” The five glowing orbs all landed in his hand one by one as he squeezed them into nothingness.

The hairs on Mikey’s neck tingled as he felt another distortion building on the server, its epicenter felt like it was located on Wayne, “Guys get back, he’s going to try something.”

“Oh how right you are.” Mikey threw up a shield around himself and the others as Wayne swung his arm. A shockwave of white energy tore across the openness between them. Mikey collapsed to the ground as his shield shattered from the impact.

“What’s going on?” He looked back and saw Henry, Penelope, John, Jeremy, and Kerri were each beginning to dissolve like many of the animated they’d encountered before. Mikey reached for Kerri, but her arm dissolved as he reached to grab her. As they’d completely dissolved only their amulet hung in the air.

“Hmm, that should have worked on you as well. Unless, there really is something about you different from the others.” Wayne remarked.

“What did you do to them?” Mikey growled.

“I’ll be needing those.” Wayne snapped his fingers as the five hovering amulets began to float towards him.

“Not happening.” Mikey snatched the amulets from the air and held them by the neckbands that had been fastened to them. Each amulet glowed a crystal blue a second as they went limp. “Now, what did you do?”

“I merely forced the server ejection program to run on some unsavory players.” Five colored orbs appeared in Wayne’s hand, “But don’t worry the essence of each of your friends is still here to play with.” Each of the five orbs he was holding spread out and hovered in the air a moment before transforming into shadowy doppelgangers of each of Mikey’s crewmates. Their eyes glowed crimson as Wayne began to maniacally laugh, “Oh this will be entertaining. One versus the evil versions of his five friends, and once they’ve bloodied and beaten you I will pry those amulets from your dead hands and your essence shall join theirs.”

The feeling was like surfacing after a dive into deep cold water as Kerri gasped for air. She could hear alarms going off nearby and as she looked around she realized she was at Gaia HQ in the real world. She saw John, Jeremy, Penelope and Henry were having similar gasping reactions.

“Easy, take deep breaths.” She looked up at the person pressing down on her stomach and saw it was Bret. He had a look of concern in his eyes as he looked from her to the others and then over to the still active interface where Mikey was plugged in. “What happened?” He finally asked.

“Some kind of attack from… from…” Kerri laid back down as she felt light headed. Her head was still foggy from the transition from the virtual world to the real one.

“Easy, you’ve been under for a few weeks. Some of your muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be.” He helped her to sit up. She looked at her arms and saw just how much her body had wasted from inactivity.

Ryan rushed over to her and Bret and took a minute before opening his mouth, “In the last few days has Michael complained of headaches, distortions, or hearing voices?” He looked as if his concern was on something more than what he was asking.

“Yes, on all of those, why?” Kerri responded before looking worriedly at Ryan.

“As near as we can tell something on the server activated an emergency ejection program we designed to rush players off a crashing server. We’ve been experimenting with reestablishing connections to you via some signals we detected when Michael came here through the rift in the sky, we worried that our experiments may have caused that.” He looked over at Mikey’s interface. “But if it had…”

“Ryan, they should know.” Bret looked at him.

“Need to know what?” John, Jeremy, Henry, and Penelope had found chairs and had seated themselves around Kerri, Bret and Ryan.

“Well…” Ryan looked off and bit his lip.

“After he returned to the virtual world from his short visit here the other day, Michael’s brain activity had a significant spike and then nothing.” Bret finished.

“What do you mean nothing?” John looked at Ryan and Bret. “What’s happened to him since he returned?”

“Medically, he’s brain dead.” Ryan said as he showed a computer screen with a readout of Mikey’s vitals. He’s pretty much a vegetable here with no brain activity, a player when emerged should be showing the same brain wave patterns as someone awake, but’s he’s completely blank. Yet the areas of his brain responsible for processing pain light up occasionally, like there’s still an echo feeling pain.”

“We have to get back in there. We can’t leave Mikey in there fighting Wayne alone.” Henry shrugged his shoulders.

“Excuse me, did you say Wayne? As in Wayne Pennyworth?” Frederic poked his head up, “I thought you were fighting The Phantom.”

“Hard to explain right now, but I’ll leave it at Wayne got in the way of that and we needed to put him down. He’s probably the one that activated the ejection program.” John brushed off Frederic’s comment.

“We’ve been trying. We can’t get the connection to the server to go through. We didn’t wake you until after we’d tried a few times.” Ryan replied. He looked at the still active interface where Mikey’s real body was resting, “So he’s still in there? Then he’s essentially a ghost now.”

“I still think he can be brought back when everything’s over.” Garrett chimed in. “It’d be more difficult than the usual player, but his mental state still exists and can download. We would just need to give it the path to his brain.”

“You mean he’s dead?” Jeremy looked, he had to squint since he didn’t have his glasses.

“It’s complicated. Look we’ll keep trying to reestablish a connection to the server. For the time being,” Ryan motioned for Bret, “I think they could use some food. IV fluid leaves the stomach pretty empty.” As Bret walked them to the break room the sight of a box of doughnuts on the counter greeted them. John swallowed hard as he began thinking over everything that they’d just been told. His mind drifted back to when they first explored the virtual world while it was being programmed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces