Great! I look forward to your entry. 3nodding

Beloved Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
the_CrAzY_Red

K. So I only have a few paragraphs written. I have another story made that I'm trying to do for a contest with 20,000+ words. So I've been doing that plus my own writing. My bad, I'm a lazy thing. 4laugh But I'll tell you what, I'll give you a word count update at the end of tonight. K?

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Vixianna
the_CrAzY_Red

K. So I only have a few paragraphs written. I have another story made that I'm trying to do for a contest with 20,000+ words. So I've been doing that plus my own writing. My bad, I'm a lazy thing. 4laugh But I'll tell you what, I'll give you a word count update at the end of tonight. K?

Alright, wonderful. But isn't it already past the end of the day?
I'd like to enter! Am currently trying to wrangle in them plot bunnies running around in my head~
Hope this is okay!

-------Revealed

Jodie's fingers tapped wildly across the keyboard. Her eyes scanned frantically through the glowing screen. It couldn't be... It just couldn't... but the facts matched up. The famous teenage detective that went missing was indeed not missing. In fact, he had been in front of her nose all this time. Her memory flashed moments where he had been there and there was even that night when she rescued from Vermouth...! Even Vermouth had known the truth before she did.
It was obvious once you knew. He more intelligent than any other kid his age and the way he was always there with some smart answer. That Haibara girl too...

Jodie stopped typing and leaned back in her chair. What a laugh, how could she have never noticed...? The teen detective had fooled them all... Sighing, she grabbed her coat and started out of the motel. She clicked the rental car key's and smiled to herself. Conan Edogawa would be finding himself a little visitor.

"Jodie-sensei! What are you doing back in Japan?" Ran's ecstatic face made Jodie hesitate. Did she know his secret? No, he wouldn't want to endanger the girl... she didn't know a thing.
"Hi Ran~! I'm actually here for Conan."
She could tell the girl was a bit confused, but pleasantly called the child down. "Conan, you have a visitor!"
Jodie's heart quickened, but she kept her face firm. It felt like a century to her, but then there he was. He stood there with the mask of an innocent child's upon his face. She could feel his bewilderment and then suspicion though.
"Jodie-sensei... Why are you here?"

She gave a gleeful grin and crouched down to his eye-level. "Don't you remember, Conan-kun? I told you I'd take you and the Detective Boys out as my treat next time I came." A complete lie, but she had to get him alone somehow. "Remember, Conan-kun?" Something flashed across Conan's face, but it was gone within the second.
"Oh yeah!" he exclaimed. He turned to Ran with a cheery smile. "Can I go, Ran-nee-san?"
The high school girl blanked and shuffled in her step. "I don't know..." Jodie made her smile even bigger. It wouldn't take long, and then she could finally confirm everything. "Don't worry" she said, "It's perfectly fine and Conan reaaally wants to go! I'll watch him carefully- Promise~"
Ran relented. "Alright, take care, okay?"

And they were off. Conan settled into the back of her car and buckled in, never saying a word. He was definitely trying to figure her out. But it wasn't going to be that simple. They stopped at a red light and she turned in her seat to give him a playful wink.
"We'll stop by Doctor Agasa's place to pick up...what was her name? That's right, wasn't it Miyano...?"
There was a sharp intake of breath from him and he attempted the child mask again. "You've already forgotten Haibara-san's name? Wow, getting old aren't cha?" Jodie felt a vein twitch. Brat. They weren't going to be playing the nice game apparently.
The light hit green and they were in silence for the rest of the trip. Each one deep in their own thinking.

They reached the house, and they both stepped out. Jodie humming a little tune as they went to the front door. She ran the doorbell and they waited. So it took her by surprise when Conan spoke.
"What do you want?"
Jodie only gave him a confused look. "What do you mean? I'm taking you guys out-"
"You can stop it. Doc' Agasa knows as well."
With that, the charade was over.
Conan turned to stare her in the eye. Jodie returned the strength in her own stare. "I expected nothing less from the great teenage detective..."

"Kudo Shinichi."
The two were taken by surprise and whipped around to see Haibara and the Doctor standing at the doorway. Haibara gave a sigh.
"Idiot, now we've been discovered." The doctor gave a nervous laugh.
"W-why don't you come in? I'm sure we can talk."

"...and so I've been staying at the Doctor's house until I can come up with a solution."
Jodie sat there, stunned. The tale was far more impressive being told to her like this than the bits and pieces she could find. She quickly shook off the shock and loosened her grip on the drink Doctor Agasa had passed out to them earlier.
"I didn't know how deeply involved you were with the Black Organization." she gave them a deep look. "We want to help you. The FBI, that is. We could take you overseas and change your identities much better. Even offer fake-"

But the look both Conan and Haibara had on their faces gave her the answer. She smiled sadly at them, "...Well, just know that if you ever need help, I'm there."
The thought of Ran appeared in Jodie's head and she chuckled to herself, thinking about what that poor girl was in the middle of.

Takagi's Perspective -- July 7 -- 2:35 PM

"Just ask her, Takagi, I'm sure she'll say 'yes'!" Ran encouraged, but Takagi was still uncertain. Would Satou really want to go on a date with him? But as luck would have it, right then, Satou came up to him. "Hey, Takagi, I need your help with something at the at the main police station. Would you please come?" Takagi's heart leaped with joy. "Of course," he replied, trying in vain to keep his voice steady. "Tell me all about it when you get back," Ran whispered with a wink.

Unfortunately, the trip wasn't nearly as romantic as Takagi had anticipated. All Satou had him do was run errands and deliver messages while she talked to other men about a certain case she was working on. It was dull work, Takagi told himself, but the rewards might be great. He fantasized about Satou getting up from her desk, and putting a hand to her forehead. "Oh, I'm so weary," she would say. Then, Takagi would step up and say, "Never fear, my darling, I shall ferry you home." Then, Satou would pass out, and he would hold her like a baby and carry her home. Then, the real Satou scolded him for the dorky face he was making, and sent him to carry another message to the person next door. It was all Takagi could have asked for when Satou declared a 15 minute break.

Takagi checked his gold-plated watch. Four more minutes left of his break. He sighed. Would anything eventful ever happen on this day? Just then, he heard something from behind him. He quickly traced the sound to the room behind the door he had been leaning against. It was never his intention to eavesdrop, but with nothing else to do, he started to listen in on the conversation that was being tossed about beyond the door.

"Man, we don't get many good cases around here anymore."
"What? Oh, let me guess. You got lots of fun, fascinating cases in the 'good old days'?"
"Yeah. You're new here, so you wouldn't remember, Hotaru, but we even got a mental kid here before."
"Really? Doesn't sound so great to me."
"Oh really? You would have though otherwise if you had heard that story that boy was sprouting. What was it, something along the lines of being force-fed a drug after seeing two men exchanging a tape of gun smuggling for, what, a billion ¥? Pah," Takagi could hear the man spit. "And then, oh ho! This was the best part. He thought he was a Junior in high school. And he even had the clothes to prove it! His attire was about 20 sizes too big for him. Then, he ran out the window and no one ever saw him again. Some say he died, but he didn't tell us his name, so we can't track him and know for sure."
"Takagi! What are you doing?" Satou's voice sounded next to him. He had been so intent on the conversation that he hadn't heard her approach. Whoops! He knew he had to have a plausible excuse, but his mind was too busy mulling over what he had just heard to think of anything that would get him out of trouble with Satou. "I... was... uh... you know... making sure the police were doing their job. Staying on task," he improvised. "Eavesdropping, more like. Honestly, Takagi, that wasn't very nice of you," Satou stated with disapproval in her voice. "Eh, yeah. I was, but I heard something very peculiar. There was this mental boy who came by here a while ago-"
"That's it! Stop making up excuses. Our break's over. Get back to work." And before Takagi could say more, Satou had disappeared. He uttered a horrid swear under his breath and chased after her. Something about this kid seemed important. He couldn't place it, but he knew he would never feel satisfied until he figured out who this kid was. And what about the stories he had told? How would a kid even know what gun smuggling was? There were a few missing pieces to this puzzle, and all he needed to do was find them. "Hmph," He thought bemusedly. "I wonder if this is how Conan feels every time he gets involved with a case."

Ran's perspective -- July 8 -- 10:29 AM

Ran smiled as she watched Conan lean relaxingly against the stone wall, Haibara next to him. They were whispering to each other with smiles on their faces, watching the other Detective Boys, as they called their little group, play around in the lush grass. Briefly, Ran wondered what they were talking about that had to be kept so secret. Her mind cast back to the time when she had suspected that Conan was Shinichi, and had borrowed his cell phone. When Conan had gotten in back, he had claimed that there was a letter for a girl he liked in his class in there. That's probably Haibara, Ran reflected. Then, most unexpectedly, she felt a stab of jealousy. Why am I feeling jealous that Conan has a girlfriend? When the feeling had subsided, Ran comforted herself by thinking over and over again, It was nothing, it was nothing, but it did little to help. "I miss you Shinichi," Ran whispered, tears coming to her eyes, "I really, really want you to come back soon."

Just then, out of the corner of her eye, she could have sworn she saw Kudo-kun walking toward her. She turned her head toward him, and was surprised to see Conan, not Shinichi. There was worry on his face... and something else--pity? "Ran-nechan? Why are you crying?" His adorable, innocent attitude was so unlike Shinichi's, but everything else about him was so like Kudo-kun... "It's nothing," Ran lied, wiping away tears. "I just got some dust in my eye." She could see disbelief on Conan's face. "Ran-nechan, are you sure? You're crying really hard-"
"Of course I'm sure!" Ran interrupted more harshly than she had meant. Conan warily backed off. "Alright... just remember, if anything is really bothering you, you can always tell me. I'll do what I can to help," he told her. Ran offered a sad smile. "I know you will, but I don't think even you could understand what I'm going through." Conan's face suddenly grew so serious, and he looked so much like Shinichi, it nearly made Ran cry again. "Don't tell me, you are longing for Shinichi, aren't you?" Conan guessed. Ran nodded glumly. "And... when I walked up... you thought I was him?" Conan pressed, but when Ran again nodded, she could have sworn she saw a flash of panic on his face. That was so like Conan, shrouded in mystery, despite his young age. Gazing into the seven year old's eyes, she just could not help herself. She bent down and hugged him, her face rubbing the side of his. "Conan," she adressed quietly. "Please. I'm begging you. If you ever see, or hear from Shinichi, tell him how much I love him, and how much I need him back here, home." She hugged Conan even tighter, and was surprised to feel Conan hug back. It might have been her imagination, but she thought she heard Conan murmur, "I'll be back soon. Wait for me, Ran..." and felt a tear that did not belong to her slide down against her cheek.

Takagi's Perspective -- July 8 -- 11:50 AM

Takagi sighed with relief as Satou declared that she needed a break from her work. Immediately, Takagi started his project. During his break, which had been 20 minutes this time, he singled out a police officer and asked if he knew anything about a mental boy who had been here a while ago. When the police officer asked for a specific date, and Takagi could not offer one, the man shrugged his narrow shoulders and replied, "I'm afraid I can't help you there, then." Takagi had to ask a few more people before he came across a woman who claimed she might know who he was talking about. "Yeah, one of the senior officers was talking about someone like that yesterday. Small boy, around five? Do you know him?" She has asked. Takagi raked his mind for an excuse that could get him a little more information on the boy. "Yeah... I'm his, uh, uncle. I'm an inspector, and would you believe, I just came back from my vacation to hear that my nephew had disappeared!" Takagi laughed nervously. As he had realized earlier, he had no idea when the boy was here. It could have been 10 years ago, it could have been last month. He just hoped that the boy hadn't been here too long ago, or else his story would seem a bit pseudo. The woman looked at him suspiciously. "I see. My name's Saotome Hotaru. You are...?"
"Er... Takagi. Okiya Takagi," Takagi lied. "Is there any chance of speaking to someone who might know more about my nephew?" Briefly, Takagi wondered why he was taking this so far - if he was caught, he could be in serious trouble. But something about the boy seemed worth it. Hotaru replied curtly, "Very well. I'll fetch Officer Jirokichi. Please wait here." The woman exited a door and slammed it shut. Takagi flinched. Had he offended her in some way? Oops.

Takagi again checked his watch. He had seven minutes left of his break. What was taking Hotaru so long? He didn't have forever! Just then, the door opened and he saw a tall, burly, dark man enter into the room. "You looking to talk with me?" Takagi recognized this man's voice from the previous day. "Er, yes! I need to talk to you about my nephew. I was told he might have stopped by here, provided he really was my nephew. I take it he didn't tell you his name? Is there any way for me to check?" The man who was supposedly called Jirokichi waved a hand for Takagi to slow down. "Whoa. Hold on. You're getting way too far ahead of yourself. First things first. Your name, and then tell me what your nephew was like," Jirokichi instructed. Takagi took a deep breath. He had six minutes left. He had to make the best of it. "Uh, name. Okiya Takagi. My nephew," Takagi rapidly searched his mind for a name. In the end, he settled on a name he had heard in a movie once. "Er, my nephew is Okiya Subaru. Small kid, around five or six. Most unfortunately, he loves to pass on stories that he slightly revises from his father, a police officer here, in Tokyo, also known as my brother. Subaru-kun is a great kid, but his imagination is often too much to handle. He ran away from the house, so I heard, quite a while ago, pretending to be a high schooler who was forced to drink a drug, and that is how he became small. Are there any details you are specifically waiting for in order for me to see if this kid is really my missing nephew?" Takagi was impressed with himself. If he had the time, he would have congratulated himself. But, unfortunately, time was the one thing he didn't have, with only four minutes of it remaining. Jirokichi scratched his bearded chin. "Question. Why did you say, 'so I heard'?" He asked. Takagi jumped right into his answer. "I had been on a business trip for the past year or so. I came home a few months ago. When I got home, my brother was at my door, telling me of how his little Subaru-kun had disappeared. So, I promised him that I'd help him find his son." Takagi was amazed at this shrewdness. He felt unusually proud of himself for thinking of such, in his opinion, believable lies. Officer Jirokichi smiled. "Well, sir, with that information, I can basically conclude that your nephew was here. Your description of him is perfect; he was telling a magnificent story about being a junior in high school. Also, the times you gave me fit perfectly, Subaru-kun was here about a year and a half ago." Whoa. Takagi's heart thumped harder. This was it. If it was found out that he wasn't this boy's uncle, there was no telling what trouble he would fall into. He just had to keep up his charade for two and a half more minutes. Hopefully, he could find out some information on the boy, and get out of the office before Satou came looking for him.

Takagi was led into an spacious room. "This is my office. Please, make yourself at home," Jirokichi offered. Takagi was debating about whether he should tell the man that he was in a hurry, but finally decided against it. It would only lead to a long story and more lies. He would just have to get the info, and skedaddle. Jirokichi offered some coffee, which Takagi declined. "Now," the older man began. "We won't really have any solid proof that your nephew was here, except your word. Here, we took this photo of the boy. Tell us if this is your nephew." He handed Takagi an upside-down square photo. Before Takagi even turned the photo over to look at it, he knew that he would probably appreciate more time to look at the photo by himself, so he made up a lie that would enable him that. "You know, I didn't see the boy that much. Would it be OK if I brought this picture to my brother and asked him if this is the right kid?" Takagi asked innocently. Jirokichi narrowed his eyes suspiciously, but nodded. Takagi expressed his gratitude through a small dip of his head and turned his attention to the upside-down photo. In seemingly slow motion, he flipped the photo over. Then, this breath caught in his throat and surprise overwhelmed him, shattering his poker face. Why, this kid looked like Edogawa Conan!

Takai barely noticed it when Satou burst into the office and demanded to know what he was doing there. He barely noticed Officer Jirokichi giving Satou an explination, and Satou insisting that Takagi had no brother or nephew. He barely noticed Satou grabbing him on the arm and pulling him out of the spacious office, and threatening Takagi under her breath. He barely noticed when Satou sighed dejectedly and sent Takagi back to work, and he barely even noticed he was working. He was too absorbed in this thoughts about the photo.

Wavering stacks of questions had formed in his mind, and there were so many, it took all his concentration to organize them. His first though had been, there's no way that's Conan. Conan doesn't make up ridiculous stories like that. But later on, when his brain proffered no alternative suggestions, he began to accept the reality that the kid in the photo really was Conan. But, Takagi reflected, the only thing that does is add to the mystery shrouding Conan-kun. He though back to the time when he and Conan had been in an elevator, and there was a bomb attached to it. Conan had known exactly what to do, and when Takagi had foolishly asked who Conan really was, he had replied, "You want to know who I really am? Sure, I'll tell you. In the afterlife!" Takagi had disregarded the statement as unimportant, but now he related back to it. What if Conan wasn't really... Conan? What if he was someone else? Some super genius? What if he really was a junior in high school, and really was forced to drink a drug that turned him into a kid, as Officer Jirokichi had mentioned the previous day? It would certainly explain his ingeniousness. Then, a though crossed his mind. Ran! She lived with the boy, maybe she would know something regarding his mysterious past.

Takagi knocked on the door of the Mouri Detective Agency. A few seconds later, Sonoko peeked her head out from behind the door. She giggled. "Oooh! Ran! Looks like you've gotten a new boyfriend,' she taunted. Ran pushed her way past Sonoko and looked thoroughly surprised to see Takagi there. "Can I help you?" she asked. Takagi nodded shyly with a glance at Sonoko. He didn't want to give any details with the Drama Queen around. Ran nodded, seeming to get the message, and whispered something to Sonoko. She giggled loudly and whispered loudly back, "OK! I'll be in your room. Tell me when you are done," and disappeared behind the door. Instantly, Takagi started to stutter out the reason for his visit. "I... er... it's, uh... about... about... Conan," he managed to say, and finaly realized how ridiculous he sounded. "I came across something really odd at the police station about him... and I thought you might know more about it... er... this sounds really ridiculous, I know, but just hear me out... I got a picture of this kid-" He could say nothing more as he was ushered inside and steered to a couch. He sat down, and Ran pointed a finger at him. "Wait here. I'll be right back."

Hmph. So much for 'right back'. Ran must have been gone five minutes by now. Takagi assumed that she had been caught in a conversation with Sonoko. He began to look around the room for interesting stuff. There was nothing really to look at, though, he soon found out, except a few old news papers in the corner and a couple paintings on the wall. Takagi picked up a news paper from about a year and a half ago. The large print immediately caught his eye. Gears turned. His brain clicked with understanding after reading it. It said, "TEENAGE DETECTIVE KUDO SHINICHI MISSING! See section B7 for full story." Takagi rapidly turned to page B7 and devoured the whole story of Kudo Shinichi before he disappeared. It even featured a picture, which only umped his suspicions that Conan was really Shinichi. The two looked almost identical! Takagi bet himself that if he ever saw Conan without his glasses, he would look exactly like a younger version of Shinichi, just like the kid in the picture did. Right then, Ran came into the room holding something that looked like a photo album under her arm. "Sorry it took so long. Tell me everything you discovered, Takagi."

Ran's Perspective -- July 8 -- 5:46 PM

Ran sat down in a comfy chair as Takagi jumped right into his story. "I was at a police station, and I heard these men talking about a boy who had been there about a year and a half ago. Apparently, the boy had been telling the men some pretty crazy stories. One of them was that he had been force-fed a drug that turned him into a little kid after watching two men exchange a tape of one company's gun smuggling operation for about a billion ¥. Ridiculous, right? Well, this was the other lie he was telling, that he was a junior in high school. Apparently, the boy was also wearing clothes that were way too big for him, as though he really believed that he was 16 years old. And, I gathered this important detail by claiming that I was the boy's uncle that was searching for him. So, an officer gave me this picture of the boy." Takakgi slowly handed over the picture of Conan. Ran snatched it and gawked at it for a few moments. Then she set it down and started to thumb through the photo album that she had brought from her room. She settled on a picture of Shinichi that she had put in there when he was about six years old. She set the picture of Conan next to the picture of Shinichi and realized that they looked exactly identical. Ran's jaw tightened. "Please tell me that I'm not the only one noticing the similarity between Shinichi and Conan," Ran requested as she turned the photo album over to Takagi. She saw him widen his eyes with understanding. "I knew it. I knew it. Conan isn't a kid; he's almost an adult. He's the famous Kudo Shinichi, who supposedly went missing a year and a half ago. There is all but solid proof right in front of our noses. There's no way he can deny it any longer. Shall we confront him, Ran?" Takagi offered. Ran nodded. Just then, the telephone rang. Ran ran over to grab it. "Hello?" She answered. Then her voice squeaked out the next word she said. "Shinichi?"

She could see Takagi's confusion in his eyes. Shinichi's voice continued on the other side. "Ran? Great! I needed to talk to you. Look, I gotta make this quick." Ran was listening closely for noise on the opposite end to give any clues as to where Shinichi might be, but all was silent. That might be a clue in itself, Ran realized. Shinichi went on. "I'm so sorry, I don't think I'll be able to call you for a while. You know that case I've been working on? Things just got complicated. I'll call you as soon as I can, but that may be a while," and he hung up. Ran let out a gasp of belief. "He said that he wasn't going to be able to call me for a while. Working on a case, he said. Hmph." Ran suddenly felt extremely irritated, but Takagi just looked bewildered. "Hold on. There is a serious flaw in our thinking. Shinichi just called you! And unless Conan just turned back into Shinichi to make that phone call, there is no way that was Conan," he argued. Ran looked at him. "I don't know how it's possible, but Conan... no, Shinichi is very deceiving. He's a detective. He's probably as good solving cases as he is making them. Don't underestimate him. Let's go check his room for something that might get us a lead." And, Ran thought, even if Conan isn't Shinichi, he isn't the innocent little boy I thought he was, Takagi's story proves that.

Ran lifted Conan's mattress. Where on Earth could a little boy hide a voice recorder? She had decided that he had one; how else could Shinichi's voice be on the phone? Just then, Takagi spoke from behind her. "H-hey Ran? Come over here and look at this." He was indicating a bow tie. What was to special about a bow tie? Ran stood up and walked over to Takagi. He was inspecting the inner side of the bow tie like it was an unusual bug. "It has a whole bunch of gizmos... and gears... and knobs," Takagi commented. He offered it to Ran, and she took it. She was amazed by the complexity of the bow tie, and even more amazed at how well it as disguised. Looking at it from the front, she would never have guessed that it had all that machinery inside it. She experimentally turned some knobs, holding it close to her face so she could see the small gears. Nothing happened. "Hey Takagi-" she immediately stopped. Why had her voice sounded all deep? Takagi had jumped up. "Who said that?" He asked nervously. Ran moved the bow tie away from her mouth. "Me." Her voice sounded perfectly normal now. She held the bow tie back up to her mouth. "I just had that bow tie like this..." she explained, and her voice was deep again. "It's like a voice changer or... something..." her brain clicked. "I get it! This is how Conan has been deceiving us! He can set his voice to Shinichi's. Then, he can call me, he can talk to people as long as no one can see his body, and no one suspects a thing! Why, that little devil!" Ran exclaimed. Takagi's eyes widened with understanding and he nodded. "Of course! This adds to the proof we show him when we tell him that we found out his secret." Just then, Ran heard a door open and Conan's small, high-pitched voice calling out, "Ran-nechan! I'm home!" Ran's heart started to beat loudly. In all the excitement, she had forgotten that Conan had to come home some time. She quickly replaced the bowtie, ran out into the hall with Takagi trailing after her and ran up to meet Conan. "Hey, Conan! How did playing Hide and Seek with the Detective Boys go?" She asked. She suddenly thought how funny it was that if Conan really was Shinichi, which she was pretty sure he was, how Kudo-kun would hate to be talked with that way. But Conan's face betrayed no emotion except confusion as his eyes slid past Ran to Takagi. "Ah, it was fun. Hey, Ran-nechan, what is Takagi-sama doing here?" He asked innocently. "Ah, I'm just... er, visiting. I was supposed to give a full report to Ran about a case I'm working on," Takagi lied. Conan narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "I see. Do you mind if I listen in?" He asked. Ran and Takagi exchanged an anxious glance. This was definitely not the attitude of your average seven your old. "Now, Conan-kun. This isn't for little kids like yourself," Ran nervously stated. Conan looked angry for a second, and then seemed to accept that he couldn't come. "Fine. I'll be in my room," he declared.

Ran led Takagi to the study. The moment that Ran closed the door, the Inspector started blurting out random statements such as, "What the hell? What happened to Shinichi Kudo? Why is he a kid? Did he suffer some disease?"
"Wait. Didn't you yourself say that Conan claimed he was forced to take a drug that made him become a little kid?" Ran argued. "Yeah, that's what the guy said Conan said. But, who would do such a thing?" Takagi retorted. Ran shrugged and offered the alternative, "We could ask him. We have enough proof, so in essence, there is no way he could deny us without making a fool of himself." Takagi nodded nervously. "Alright," he agreed. "Let's go." The two trudged up to Conan's room. Ran knocked slowly on his door. His voice called from inside. "Come in!" Ran opened his door to see Conan leaning over a sheet of paper. He quickly tucked it away, as if he didn't want Ran or Takagi to see it. He looked up innocently. "Yes?"
"We need to talk," Ran demanded.

"What do you want?" Conan asked quietly. "I have homework, you know. Hard stuff. Due tomorrow," he informed. Ran waved a hand dismissively. "This is more important, Conan-kun. Or should I say, 'Shinichi'?" Ran asked with an edge to her tone. Conan gasped with disbelief. "Shinichi? You think that I'm Shinichi?" He gaped. "Mm hm. I couldn't be more sure. Allow us to indulge you with the evidence." Ran offered, and started on the story that Takagi had told her. She ended with how she found out about the bow tie, and forced Conan to hand his over to her to make sure. Sure enough, this bow tie was made for voice-changing too. "What do you have to say for yourself, Shinichi?" She demanded. Conan looked as furious as she had ever seen him. His face was red and his hands were curled into fists. "What were you doing poking around in my room?" He demanded, obviously fighting to keep his temper under control. Ran placed a hand on his shoulder and explained it was vital to her investigation. "Surely you, of all people, realize that for a successful investigation, you have to go in places no one wants you to go?" Ran quoted from what Shinichi had said once, a long time ago. Conan's anger started to fade. "Yeah? So? You still shouldn't have been in there. There's.. uh... dangerous stuff. You know, to keep out the... uh... invaders... er..." Conan's voice faded off as he realized what a stupid excuse he was making. "You know what? Just forget it." Conan headed for the door. "Stop right there, young man!" Ran ordered. Conan froze, as though scared of Ran's tone. Not that she could blame him. She was, after all, a karate expert, and Shinichi would know that of all people. "Now, Shinichi, turn around and tell us what happened to you." Conan turned around, his face hard as stone. "No," he defied. "There's no way I'm telling you. Why do you think I didn't tell you a long time ago? Same reason as I won't tell you now." Shinichi explained. "So you are Shinichi. I knew it. Why can't you tell me how you came to be the way you are?" Ran asked. Curiosity was bubbling inside her. Of course, she thought she might know the answer, but she still wanted to know Shinichi's side of the matter. Conan rolled his eyes. "It'll put you in danger. Look, you already know as much as you need to know, you told me that already. I was force fed a drug. What more do you want?"
"I want to know how this will put me in danger. I want to know who did this to you. I want to know your side of the story. Please, Shinichi. I'm begging you. You don't need to protect me, I can protect myself." Ran begged. Conan looked thoughtful. Then he sighed a sigh of defeat. "Very well. I'll tell you everything. You never know, it might feel nice to confide in someone besides Haibara and Professor Agasa all the time. Gather 'round," Shinichi instructed. Ran looked shocked. "So Haibara and Agasa-san knew, too? Why do they know and not me?" she demanded. Shinichi raised his hand for peace. "That, you will find out in due time. Takagi, why are you standing there with that ridiculous expression on your face?" Takagi snapped out of his trance and replied nervously, "Well, you know, it might be a surprise to some people to discover that a kid is really a missing adult in disguise. Just a little disturbing, you know?"
"I see. Well, if you are going to listen to my tale, then sit and listen. If you are too flabbergasted to pay attention, leave." Shinichi instructed. Ran was amazed at how his little kid attitude had completely disappeared. "Wait," Ran interrupted. "What was all that gibberish about you not being able to talk to me for a while earlier?" Shinichi smiled. "Well, Agasa said that he needed to see all of my voice changers for modifications for a while. So, without my voice changers, I couldn't call you, could I?"

Shinichi started his tale. It began the night, so long ago, when Ran and Shinichi had gone to the carnival, and Shinichi had run off. He explained how he had seen the two men trading, and had tried to tape the exchange, but as soon as he started his tape, the man named Gin had hit him on the back of the head, and had force fed him the drug that turned him into a little kid. He explained how he was pretty sure that then man meant to kill him, but they obviously didn't succeed. Shinichi explained how he had been found by the police, and told his tale, but the men didn't believe him. Not that he blamed them. He described how he had escaped through a window, and ran to his house, be he couldn't get in. There he had seen Prof. Agasa, and had convinced the man that he was really Shinichi. He emphasized oh how the Professor did not want him telling Ran who he really was, for the sake of her safety, and how the professor had suggested that he go live with Ran because her father was a detective, and he might get some cases involving the men in black, whom had poisoned him. Then, later on in his tale, he explained the entrance of Haibara and how she had been poisoned as well. He avoided mentioning that Haibara had once been a Black Organization member. He also mentioned how Heiji had also figured out his secret. He also grudgingly admitted that he was behind the whole Sleeping Kogoro notion. Ran was quite taken aback when Shinichi ended his tale. "Wow," she and Takagi both said at the same time. Ran added, "If I ever get my hands on one of those Black Organization members, I'll punch back to their asses all the way to the U.S." Takagi also emphasized this statement. "Well, now all the secrets are out. What will you do now? Ground me?" Shinichi asked with a twinkle of amusement in his eye. Ran put a finger to her chin and looked up, as though thinking. "I was considering that at first," she told him. "But I think you deserve more something along these lines." And she leaned down and kissed Shinichi on the lips. Then hit him lightly on the shoulder. "Somewhere deep down, I think I knew you had never left my side. I think I knew."

WOO HOO!! After three days of hardcore typing, I finally finished it! mrgreen Sorry if it's kind of long... and boring... rolfcoptor.
Does this thread need a bump? Ok, don't answer that. It's kind of obvious that it does. wink

BUMP
I hope this writing contest doesn't die- the prompt was good! D:

Fashionable Combatant

Oh gosh, this sounds so fun, but I haven't watched/read Det. Conan/Case Closed in so long that I've forgotten half the characters. ;_;

Well, good luck to all the contestants! ^^
supergirl10895
I hope this writing contest doesn't die- the prompt was good! D:

I second that. I also wish that more people would enter to make this contest more popular. crying
BTW, I love your new avi, Red!
giving this a bump since it's been a few days...

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Thank you guys, for helping keep this thread alive. You're doing a better job than I am! Oh, that's sad... Thanks again. I'll start working hard, too, now. whee

@ supergirl & Luffy Duffy: I love your entries! Thanks!

5,650 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Popping in just to say that no, I haven't forgotten about this contest. I'll be trying very hard to finish my entry in time. I just have a problem with being the target of multiple plotbunnies at once. Which means I keep getting distracted by other fics that I'm writing. >_>

So look forward to my entry! It'll probably be in on the very last possible day. xD
derp derp...uh, happy new year?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces